X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gerardhn
    • Jun 2005

Test in STEREO: 803s against 803d.

In the august number of the german magazine STEREO there is a review of a direct comparison of 803d vs s.
    This magazine is not so good available here in Holland.
    Could any german participant be so kind to make a scan available for this forum?

thx

Gerard
  • JürgenW
    • Jul 2004

Stereo is one of the German magazines which can be bought in Holland in e.g. many stationery-shops at railway-stations.

Comment

• gerardhn
      • Jun 2005

Jurgen, that was the case, it seemed as if stereo disappeared and only stereoplay and audio (same distrubution firm!) remained....
      I dont see the magazine anymore... thats why I ask.

Comment

• JürgenW
        • Jul 2004

The august number isn't yet available in the Netherlands. Where I live the july number is still in the racks. The august Stereoplay and Audio are already here. (information from yesterday)

Jürgen

Comment

• gerardhn
          • Jun 2005

where do you live?

Comment

• JürgenW
            • Jul 2004

South of Limburg.

Comment

• JürgenW
              • Jul 2004

Saw today in the shop the august number of Stereo. It contains a test of the 803D with a comparison to the 803. I had a look into it. I got the impression that the 803 did quite well (but not as good as the 803D). In fact so well, that I would think again about spending more money or buying the old 803 (perhaps even second hand).

Comment

• gerardhn
                • Jun 2005

Can Anybody Scan This Article?

Comment

• gerardhn
                  • Jun 2005

I found the magazine!
                  Conclusion (in short)
                  -803s is a good speaker. 81% out of 100% rating. "last station before B&w ' s top Liga"
                  -803d is the thing to have! sounds more like a 801d than 803s! 90% rating.
                  -both are easy to drive. impedance never much below 4 ohm.
                  -amplifier for perfect marriage: symphonic line RG 14.

Comment

• JürgenW
                    • Jul 2004

Good that you were able to get one.

If I remember well, that's concluded from what they say to hear. The article also states that the 'frequencycurve' of the 803s is the better one.

Comment

• tboooe
                      • Jun 2005

dang...it looks like i will HAVE to get the 803D now...my wife is going to kill me.

jurgenW: i dont understand your comment. you say that the 803s frequency curve is the better one?

Comment

• RebelMan
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Listen to them side by side first tboooe. I did and for the money the 803S was the better buy, you know, price/performance wise.

If you want top-end performance, you will need to turn to the 802D's (800D's). They are "World Class" in my opinion.
                        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• tboooe
                          • Jun 2005

rebelman: the plan is to defnitely do an a/b test. sometimes I get into this mode where I just want to spend money without doing all of the normal responsible (i.e. not fun) things like research, etc.

so what was your take on the s vs the d?

Comment

• RebelMan
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by tboooe
                            ...(i.e. not fun) things like research, etc.

so what was your take on the s vs the d?
                            Yeah, the research is time consuming, but necessary and it should be fun (depending, of course, on the dealers).

My short take is this...

803D's: Smooth and slightly laid back highs, clear and well voiced mids, and full but heavy lows. Overall: A smooth yet slightly weighty presence.

803S's: Slightly bright and forward highs, clear and well voiced mids, and tightly controlled lows. Overall: A balanced yet slightly sibilant presence.
                            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• JürgenW
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by tboooe
                              jurgenW: i dont understand your comment. you say that the 803s frequency curve is the better one?
                              Yes. I just got the overall impression from reading the test that the difference between the two isn't so great as the conclusion suggests.
                              Seems like RebelMan confirms this.

Comment

• gerardhn
                                • Jun 2005

Jurgen, thats is not the right conclusion.
                                Stereo states that the 803d is more a sister of 801D than a sister of 803S!!!! The s is a class speaker; the d is an entrance to B&W's Top-Liga. They rate the d version even higher in price to performance ratio.

Comment

• jim777
                                  • Mar 2005

I still wonder why the 803D is the only B&W with three bass drivers.. am I right? Maybe just to keep the width of the speaker ok..

Well now I can't wait to see a 802D/803D comparaison. Some say that the Merlin is a must and others say that you don't get quite anything more for your money.

Then a 800D/802D comparaison someone?

What about the 801D? Is it only good for studios, with tons of acoustic treatment..

Anyway, my dealer is going to get 803D's, so I will be able to listen to them; but maybe I shouldn't, because I may not like my 703's as much after that

Well, I'm a bit off subject, but hey this I a nice thread

Comment

• gerardhn
                                    • Jun 2005

Jim,
                                    I'am sure you have audiphilic ears. Otherwise you wont be here. But after listening to the s version you wont like your 703. I didnt like my 804's anymore after listening to 803s&d .... so now I own 803s.

Comment

• jim777
                                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by gerardhn
                                      Jim, I'am sure you have audiphilic ears. Otherwise you wont be here. But after listening to the s version you wont like your 703. I didnt like my 804's anymore after listening to 803s&d .... so now I own 803s.
                                      Does that mean that the 803D's where not worth the price in your opinion (or the price was just way much too high..)

Comment

• gerardhn
                                        • Jun 2005

This is fun!
                                        I scanned the impedance curves for 803 s/d. They dont become lower than 4 ohm. So they are not power hungry. This is funny conclusion. Maybe something for a new topic/thread even.
                                        I hope my jpg attachment is readable.
                                        Gerard
                                        Attached Files

Comment

• JürgenW
                                          • Jul 2004

gerardhn,

Is the left thumbnail from the 803s en the right from the 803d?

Comment

• Pieter
                                            • Jan 2005

My guess would be, as you've said Gerard, S left and D right.

Comment

• JürgenW
                                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by gerardhn
                                              Jurgen, thats is not the right conclusion.
                                              Stereo states that the 803d is more a sister of 801D than a sister of 803S!!!! The s is a class speaker; the d is an entrance to B&W's Top-Liga. They rate the d version even higher in price to performance ratio.
                                              We just draw different conclusions from the article, because we are obviously weighting what's written differently. Nothing wrong with that.

Comment

• gerardhn
                                                • Jun 2005

Excuse for omitting S = left D = right tumbnail
                                                Jimm: I could get a pair of second hand (6 weeks "old") S for 4000 euro. That made my decision to be made quite easily.

Comment

• stewfoo
                                                  • Jul 2005

I have 803s. When I was a/b testing I noticed a HUGE difference between 803s and D. I even listened to the Krell resolution 1. I would rank them in the following order (best to worse): 803d, 803s, krell resol 1. After comparing the power hungry krells to the 803d it sounded like the krells did not have a tweeter or as if someone put a pillow over it. The 803d diamond tweeter is simply stunning. But, the krell had great punch/bass. The 803s is a little more laid back than the 803d.... also a bit muffled in comparison to the 803d. But, the 803s kicks that krells butt in the highs dept. But, once again, the Krell's bass destroys the 803s. I chose the 803s over the krell res 1 which was 50% off. In fact, Sounds like music in phoenix, az still has their Krell resolution 1 demos gear for about half off.
                                                  Stew

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"