X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tobias Funke
    • Jul 2005

Halcro MC20 Power Amplifier

"I have just heard the future of home Hi-Fi"

Big call, well "Rolling Stone" said it about Bruce Springsteen and I have modified the line for this amplifier. Not a big call when you hear this little baby.

Have just ordered one from AudioLifestyle in Bridge Rd Richmond. Great blokes & better service.

I have always been chasing the vinyl/valve sound, without all the fickleness associated, with no real world affordability luck. I have presonally demo'd many upon many expensive models, but found the benefit did not justify the expense.

Till Now.

You can get carried away listening in finely tuned rooms and perfect surroundings. Well my demo was at home, after laying down the hard earned in advance.

Unplugged the RB1080 power amp and took the Halcro out of the box brand new. Heavy little unit that exudes utter class & style. After driving Italian cars, style is another piece of the puzzle for me. I let my little baby warm a little and slowly increased the volume level.

Started playing CD's before any Hi-Res stuff. First impressions were pretty impressive, but reserved. Seemed to have great control and awesome ability to stay quiet during lulls. Went to bed at about 2.00am after yelling from the wife.

The morning arrived after a very restless sleep.

Straight into the music listening again. Well, the next session was amazing. I was hearing guitar's and other instruments in tracks that had remained hidden by other noise, I say noise now, because on everything before thats all you hear. About 2 hours more listening, and i was feeling that all the instruments in tracks were finding that they now had their own space in the listening envelope. Everything just seemed to be so much more audible and yet, tied in unison.

To say that this amplifier is more detailed is an understatement. But that doesn't for one minute suggest that it's bright or overfull either. Just perfect.
    It was fast when it needed to be and at the same time could be slow and hold control of notes with great finesse. I have never heard the end tracks fade out so dammn well. It had the ability to let me hone in on a particular musician on the soundstage as you would in a live theatre.

The killer was when i played some live concert music. I listened to these on the Halcro, and then decided to do a comparison, unplugged it to put the Rotel back on. I just got to the crowd applauding the introduction of the musiscians and had to turn it off, as it just sounded so unrealistic and hollow and fake in comparison.

Awesome and affordable. Well done Halcro.

Now to tell my wife!!

My equipment comprises:
    Rotel RSX1055 Receiver
    Rotel RB1080 Power Amplifier
    Denon DVD3910 Player
    Dynaudio Audience 72 speakers
    Kimber PBJ interconnects
    Kimber 8VS speaker cable
    Stabilant 22a Connector fluid
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Tobias,

The Halcros are great amps aren't they and the MC20 is the most "affordable" of the range at RRP US$4499 or 4.5 times the cost of the Rotel you are comparing it to...

The full Halcro "affordable" digital amplifiers are

MC20 (2 x 400 watts, $4,490)
    MC30 (3 x 400 watts, $4,990)
    MC50 (5 x 350 watts, $5,990), and
    MC70 (7 x 350 watts, $6,990).
    US$ prices of course - the more channels the better the value (in relative terms I guess!)

www.halcro.com - a great Aussie brand I'd like to be able to afford... (sigh!)

So there is a lesson there - only listen to the Halcro's (or other really top end gear) if you can afford the price - otherwise it can ruin you for what you have (for a while at least).... I heard the Halco DB58 (the ones you need to mortage your home for) and was shocked at how good they were - I didn't think an amplifier could make that much difference. It took me months to get the (totally unrealistic for me) longing out of my head!

Geoff

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"