X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdL
    • Apr 2005

Indiyana, April 29 & 30, 2011, Fort Wayne

A gathering of speaker builders and their creations to be held at Hyatt Place in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Friday, April 29 from ~9 AM to ~9 PM
    Saturday, April 30 from ~9 AM to ???

Participants from NY, FL and AZ are already on the list.

See the originating thread over on PE TechTalk:

Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

Get your speakers on the list.

Er, and the link for the event:

World-class audio meets mid-western show and tell with great ingenuity! What: The 17th annual InDIYana speaker-DIY event! (2020 is the only missing year since 2007.)
    Last edited by EdL; 28 January 2011, 09:43 Friday.
    Ed
  • SpeakerGuy
    • Mar 2010

Don't most people work (or go to school) on Fridays? Wouldnt Sat & Sun be better for 90% (or more) of people?

Comment

• EdL
      • Apr 2005

Well, yes.

This started as a Friday evening/Saturday event. Enthusiasm and the whims of the organizers expanded it to all day Friday.

I'll be driving 4-5 hours to get there. There were some very nice speakers and much to learn from one another.
      Ed

Comment

• SpeakerGuy
        • Mar 2010

Can we make it run through Sat night and say until early afternoon Sunday, so that those who have to work M-F (most of us?) don't have to miss out on the best parts? I would hate to see more than a few people start leaving on Sat. afternoon... I figure it'd prob. be nice for folks with a long drive to leave Sunday morning and those with not to far to go taking off early afternoon Sunday?

The first day is usually the best w/events like these - would hate to see people that have to work M-F (prob. the majority?) not be able to arrive until after most of the first full day was already over (that is, if they really got the ball rolling Friday morning).

Originally posted by EdL
        Well, yes.
        I don't see making a mistake one year ["officially" starting before Friday night] as being a good reason to repeat it the next year? 8O

Comment

• fbov
          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by SpeakerGuy
          ...I don't see making a mistake one year ["officially" starting before Friday night] as being a good reason to repeat it the next year? 8O
          Many DIY events, and this one in particular, are organized by a small group of dedicated people. Since the organizer(s) are willing to donate their time and effort to make this happen, they get to choose the day(s) that are convenient for them.

Friday morning is still Friday morning; you won't miss much if you just come Saturday.

Comment

• EdL
            • Apr 2005

Thanks to the moderators for giving this "sticky status" ;x(

I need to reset my mail options. I missed these posts until today.

"Well, Yes" was meant to respond to:

Don't most people work (or go to school) on Fridays?
            I'm just the messenger here. Any interest in changing the schedule should have been expressed in the tech-talk link provided in the opening post.

I think it will all be good.

fbov is right... :T
            Ed

Comment

• FracturedDS
              • Jan 2011

This is very exciting for a Rookie like me.

Comment

• EdL
                • Apr 2005

deleted, moved link to first post
                Last edited by EdL; 28 January 2011, 09:43 Friday. Reason: moved link to first post
                Ed

Comment

• wolf_teeth
                  • Feb 2011

Some answers...

For the people that drive farther than 4-5 hrs I would call 'local', they require the extra day to make it back home and be able work on Monday. Even if they only drive 5 hrs, the end of the day would require a drive home on Sunday, and fatigue can set in by completion time.

Being that most people had no problems attending the friday night sector of the event the first couple years (this is the fifth event), we extended it last year to see what would happen. It turned out almost as populated on both days.

Most people will generally arrive starting after noon on Friday, but we have about 40 designs expected as of right now, and the event has grown considerably this year as far as people interested in coming.

That said- I hate to have to do this- but the event will likely proceed as attendees arrive with projects, and we can line them in demo slots as we go. Being that it's about 15 minutes a shot for a demo, I would prefer not having to do all 40 on Saturday in a rush from start to finish like the Ohio events. I and others like to enjoy a project, so let's try and keep it that way.

In long term-
                  I don't really look for this event to require 3 days, nor do I see a reason to change to both weekend days. Some people don't get Sat/Sun off from work, and Friday evening is more doable. This way they can also attend if they like.
                  I personally take a vacation day for the Friday, so I don't see it as too far out of the question for others. If you can't make Friday, you make Saturday.
                  If you miss something you wanted to hear, if there is time we can revisit if the project/attendee are still present late Saturday. Otherwise look at it like a multi-stage concert fest. You'll have to pick what you want to hear.

Rookie-
                  You'll be added to the list of attendees shortly...

Later,
                  Wolf

Comment

• SpeakerGuy
                    • Mar 2010

But... your whole post is almost a perfect argument for: folks with a long drive to leave Sunday morning and those with not to far to go taking off Sunday afternoon? Which could allow for : Friday night listening to some of the "less eagerly anticipated" speakers, with the main event running all day Saturday, then a half day Sunday for those that couldn't be fit in on Sat?

Late morning/early afternoon Friday afternoon could be for "special events" such as measuring people's not quite done designs (a lot of folks don't have measurement gear), slighly longer listening (before the "main event" shorter demos) to allow for "voicing", cap test demo, setting up the equpiment, etc?

Comment

• wolf_teeth
                      • Feb 2011

You are but one person...

You forget a good majority of the mass populus still attend a religious service on Sunday morning of some type. To avoid this issue, I will not make Sunday morning an event half day. (Please no further discussion on this matter to avoid the breaking of rules.)

The cap test will take place basically after hours on Friday evening if the interest is present. That is set to not be in the 'regular rotation' of the 2 days. Many more than 22-25 pairs gets crammed into a day, and expecting 40 pair will mandate a 2-day affair. That is how it is. Voicing sessions, etc will likely have to take place during a scheduled 10 min break period. Last year we had fewer designs present, and were able to revisit and hear most of them twice. I don't see this happening this year. I would not think that any design should be less enticing to lay ears on, so all speakers carry the same weight in my opinion, and just get rotated in as the event goes on.
                      Setup will be done before the scheduled start-time on Friday, and remain basically unchanged from start to finish.

As it stands right now, InDIYana is a Friday/Saturday event, and probably will be as long as I am hosting it. It does not seem to aggrevate the attendees at all that it is also on Friday, so please make allowances if you are attending both days.

If you are attending, please let me know.
                      Later, and hope to see you there!
                      Wolf

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"