X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Looks like I have something to do this weekend!

I was told I could post this, but that I must make it clear that this is "not the final kit/instructions".

Attached Files
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• garak
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by sikoniko

I was told I could post this, but that I must make it clear that this is "not the final kit/instructions".
      Can the upgrade be a DIY? I'm 500 miles from my dealer, and would rather not have to ship my SSP-800 to them.

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by garak
        Can the upgrade be a DIY? I'm 500 miles from my dealer, and would rather not have to ship my SSP-800 to them.
        Classe will not handle upgrades directly - in the US (that one is for you Style). You will have to work with your dealer, and your dealer proxy the upgrade for you.

Comment

• style
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2006

Hi sikoniko,

nice, you have received the upgrade parts in very *first event" :T

but you don't can make this upgrade :cry: , you the software too?

with this is "not the final kit/instructions " = is a beta ??

-------------
          in Switzerland is different: from nord to sud all the country is around km. 400!!! - I have a good freind by classe and he come nearly my home every month: to make the upgrade he come to me and tahn we go heat a pizza! :T

wenn I have received the SSP800&CA5200 is coming to my home and we have maked the installation like 2 friend. Classe have a GREAT service after sale like ever other brand!

Style

Comment

• rompower
            • May 2008

ehehehe

I remember few people claiming that Classé would not make an upgrade... That only R2 or something like this hold their promesses..

In your face I guess

Long life to Classé :P

Comment

• Srrndhound
              • Sep 2008

Just got a note that my SSP-800 has shipped, with "pre-release" code. No word on delivery date as yet. Let the nailbiting begin!

Comment

• sikoniko
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Srrndhound
                Just got a note that my SSP-800 has shipped, with "pre-release" code. No word on delivery date as yet. Let the nailbiting begin!
                great news! congratulations and welcome to the SSP-800 club! It is a magnificent component in any HT.

Comment

• wcranston
                  • Aug 2008

I have been reading this forum since the beginning and today I finally purchase a SSP-800. I was lucky that the dealer here in NJ had one in stock from someone who place an order then could not pay because of financial problems.

While I was there, the dealer called Dave to see about the status of the DSP upgrade. Dave told him that the shipment of boards will go out next week to their distribution center in New York State.

There was no sense taking the unit home so I am hoping that within two weeks I'll be breaking that bad boy in.

Comment

• sikoniko
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by wcranston
                    I have been reading this forum since the beginning and today I finally purchase a SSP-800. I was lucky that the dealer here in NJ had one in stock from someone who place an order then could not pay because of financial problems.

While I was there, the dealer called Dave to see about the status of the DSP upgrade. Dave told him that the shipment of boards will go out next week to their distribution center in New York State.

There was no sense taking the unit home so I am hoping that within two weeks I'll be breaking that bad boy in.
                    congrats! welcome to the club!

Comment

• Obiwan45
                      • Sep 2009

My SSP as been ordered !!

As of tuesday, my SSP800 as been ordered.

Comment

• Srrndhound
                        • Sep 2008

great news! congratulations and welcome to the SSP-800 club! It is a magnificent component in any HT.
                        Thanks! I posted a couple pix in the pix thread. She sounds sweet!

Found a couple little bugs in the unit, and as it's pre-release code, I expected that. Have you seen an of these?

--Cannot activate PLIIx with any PCM 5.1 source. Works with DD and THD bitstreams (but not HDMA).

--PEQ can cause some hash sounds--not all bands, but I had some notches at 80 Hz, Q12, -5.5, and running certain pure tones thru it exposed it.

--The internal cal noise is wideband (ought to be narrow band so an SPL meter can get a fix on it). Also seems like it's too high a level, by 10 dB.

Anyway, I sent an email to Dave about it.

Comment

• sikoniko
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2003

Thanks! I posted a couple pix in the pix thread. She sounds sweet!

Found a couple little bugs in the unit, and as it's pre-release code, I expected that. Have you seen an of these?

--Cannot activate PLIIx with any PCM 5.1 source. Works with DD and THD bitstreams (but not HDMA).

--PEQ can cause some hash sounds--not all bands, but I had some notches at 80 Hz, Q12, -5.5, and running certain pure tones thru it exposed it.

--The internal cal noise is wideband (ought to be narrow band so an SPL meter can get a fix on it). Also seems like it's too high a level, by 10 dB.

Anyway, I sent an email to Dave about it.
                          Nice clean look!

I'm not using the EQ, so I can't comment on whether or not it is working. If I am able to, I will test you PLIIx issue.

I have been trying to convert over to an HTPC system so I bought an auzentech sound card to get my audio without sacrificing bits. It works fine using LPCM, but bitstreaming doesn't work with it. There are others with this sound card that are having the same issue so I think it is the downfall of getting the new card the week it came out.

Now that cable cards will be accessible for home-built PC's, I'm ready to switch over! heh.

Comment

• Srrndhound
                            • Sep 2008

Nice clean look!

I'm not using the EQ, so I can't comment on whether or not it is working. If I am able to, I will test you PLIIx issue.

I have been trying to convert over to an HTPC system so I bought an auzentech sound card to get my audio without sacrificing bits. It works fine using LPCM, but bitstreaming doesn't work with it. There are others with this sound card that are having the same issue so I think it is the downfall of getting the new card the week it came out.

Now that cable cards will be accessible for home-built PC's, I'm ready to switch over! heh.
                            Thanks!

I don't know about sound cards, but if PCM works and bitstreams don't, it can mean there's something like dither being applied. Anyway, good luck with that.

Comment

• sikoniko
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2003

Thanks!

I don't know about sound cards, but if PCM works and bitstreams don't, it can mean there's something like dither being applied. Anyway, good luck with that.
                              There is more to it than what I posted. Classe is working on it. I believe it has more to do with being such a new sound card than it does an issue with classe. I suspect they may need to collaborate for a resolution. I am having an issue where Windows is reporting the sound card as only 2 channel. From the research I have read, EDID is getting reported incorrectly in the pipeline.

HDMI is definately more complex than any other connection method the industry has had to work with.

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                • Sep 2008

There is more to it than what I posted. Classe is working on it. I believe it has more to do with being such a new sound card than it does an issue with classe. I suspect they may need to collaborate for a resolution. I am having an issue where Windows is reporting the sound card as only 2 channel. From the research I have read, EDID is getting reported incorrectly in the pipeline.

HDMI is definately more complex than any other connection method the industry has had to work with.
                                I'm seeing something like that between the BDP-83 and the 800, too. I have an AIX test disc (BD) which has 7.1 HDMA, it plays in 7.1, but the 800 readout reports it as 3/2.1 I also have a Dolby demo BD, with several 7.1 tracks in TrueHD, and some report 7.1 while others report 3/2.1. I guess I should document these, then advise Dave.

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                  • Sep 2008

I loaded some newer code last night, and it fixed the PEQ problem. The rest is still in progress.

ETA: Premature declaration of PEQ fix. Unfortunately.
                                  Last edited by Srrndhound; 25 November 2009, 02:18 Wednesday.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2003

I loaded some newer code last night, and it fixed the PEQ problem. The rest is still in progress.
                                    Cool. I got the code last night as well. There will be one more release - 2.0 soemtime in the not-to-distant future.

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                      • Sep 2008

Cool. I got the code last night as well. There will be one more release - 2.0 soemtime in the not-to-distant future.
                                      They probably want me to stop feeding their bug list. :lol:

Comment

• sikoniko
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2003

They probably want me to stop feeding their bug list. :lol:
                                        I say go for it. It only makes the product better! Dave said PLIIx will be turned back on for non dolby sources in 2.0. He didn't say why it isn't there now.

1.9 doesn't have a yellow bar for current product shipping though as Im sure you know..

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                          • Sep 2008

I say go for it. It only makes the product better! Dave said PLIIx will be turned back on for non dolby sources in 2.0. He didn't say why it isn't there now.
                                          Well, it works for CD PCM, and that's non-Dolby. But it won't work for >48 kHz PCM, or HDMA. Anyway, I'm hoping they turn on PLIIx for any 2.0 or 5.1 sources, PCM or bitstream.

1.9 doesn't have a yellow bar for current product shipping though as Im sure you know..
                                          I received mine with the preliminary yellowed version--not sure which it was. It's gone now!

Comment

• wer4ccsn
                                            • Apr 2008

tools

Hello sikoniko -
                                            May I ask you what's the name and size of the tool you needed to open the SSP-800?.
                                            Thanks
                                            Carlos

Comment

• jtcseattle
                                              • Oct 2007

SSP-800 Has Arrived!

I just learned that my dealer has received my SSP-800 and will be out today to swap it for the SSP-600. I'm not sure whether the software is final, but it appears to be at least the second iteration.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by wer4ccsn
                                                Hello sikoniko -
                                                May I ask you what's the name and size of the tool you needed to open the SSP-800?.
                                                Thanks
                                                Carlos
                                                I'm afraid I don't remember. I have a screw driver kit that has a bunch of different tips. I just experimented until one worked.

Comment

• wer4ccsn
                                                  • Apr 2008

Thanks

Ok. I will figure it out. Thank you
                                                  Carlos

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                    • Sep 2008

My SSP-800 arrived with this Xcelite hex driver tool in the packaging: http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/xc...rewdrivers.htm
                                                    See the P23 3/32". It fits the screws perfectly.

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by jtcseattle
                                                      I just learned that my dealer has received my SSP-800 and will be out today to swap it for the SSP-600. I'm not sure whether the software is final, but it appears to be at least the second iteration.
                                                      No, the SW is not yet final. Still has a few bugs they are working on.

Comment

• wer4ccsn
                                                        • Apr 2008

Thanks Srrndhound

Great information and thank you Srrndhound, :T I'm just just waiting for a phone call from my dealer so I can go and pick up the board and start the installation myself. :P Looks pretty easy. I was looking in classe website for the firmware/software but I don't see it. How do you install the firmware? does the new board comes with the firmware also?
                                                        Thanks
                                                        Carlos

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2007

The board doesn't come with the firmware, you have to get it from your dealer. From what I understand, Classe isn't putting it on their website until v2.0.0 is available. What is available is v1.9.9 and there are a couple of bugs that Classe is aware of and are cleaning them up now. They hope to have v2.0.0 out in a couple of weeks.

If you are going to update the firmware via USB, and have a Vista computer, installing the drivers is a pain (it was for me anyway). A USB to serial works fine but can be slow. Just a couple of things to keep in mind.

Eric

Comment

• wer4ccsn
                                                            • Apr 2008

Thank you hifiguymi, the information you providing is very helpful to me and also for others. I guess I'm going to wait for the v2.0.0 to come out and be available.
                                                            Best regards,
                                                            Carlos

Comment

• rompower
                                                              • May 2008

Is there anyone having the beta firmware coming withthe DSP upgrade?
                                                              Thanks

Comment

• wer4ccsn
                                                                • Apr 2008

Firmware Upgrade

I just got back from my dealer getting the new dsp board. They are clueless about the firmware upgrade, they checked Classe web site and they don't have it! so at this point I have the board ready to be install, :P but I don't have the firmware! :cry: There is anybody in this forum can guide me or send me the link to download the firmware?
                                                                Thank you
                                                                Carlos

Comment

• wcranston
                                                                  • Aug 2008

Anybody know if a intel base Mac computer running windows XP can do a firmware update by USB?

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Sep 2008

Anybody know if a intel base Mac computer running windows XP can do a firmware update by USB?
                                                                    I tried this running XP under VM Fusion, and it saw the SSP fine, and downloaded the needed drivers nicely. When I ran the Downloader it offered the choice of COM1 thru 4. My MacBook Pro was using COM5 for the bridge controller. I fiddled with it and could not remap it to a lower COM, so I drug out my old Toshiba laptop and loaded it from there.

Maybe running BootCamp instead of Fusion would work better as it might avoid supporting COMs for both Mac and PC sides in parallel. I didn't try that.

Comment

• wcranston
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Aug 2008

I have Parallels for Mac. I have been able to work with smart card readers using Parallels. I guess I'll see when the update comes out.

I'm picking up a CA-5200 tomorrow. That with the SSP-800 and my B&W 802's should lead to an enjoyable weekend.

Comment

• garak
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jul 2007

I have Vista running under VMWare fusion on a MacBook Pro and have been able to do firmware updates with USB without any problems.

Comment

• rompower
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2008

wer4ccsn.

The firmware coming with the dual DSP isn't final yet, that's why Classé didn't put it on their website...

Comment

• rompower
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2008
                                                                            • 241

Is it me or the DUAL DSP is improving the audio quality??? It sounds more m.m. dunno how to say it in english but well.. "covering" you simply feel IN the action, the sound if far far far more accurate, somethings happens on there screen on a X spot and you hear it like it would hear in real life.. damn, that's just too hot! ehehe
                                                                            I don't know if I only imagine this but.. wow

Comment

• rogerdn
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Aug 2008
                                                                              • 65

#83
                                                                              Originally posted by hifiguymi
                                                                              The board doesn't come with the firmware, you have to get it from your dealer. From what I understand, Classe isn't putting it on their website until v2.0.0 is available. What is available is v1.9.9 and there are a couple of bugs that Classe is aware of and are cleaning them up now. They hope to have v2.0.0 out in a couple of weeks.

If you are going to update the firmware via USB, and have a Vista computer, installing the drivers is a pain (it was for me anyway). A USB to serial works fine but can be slow. Just a couple of things to keep in mind.

Eric
                                                                              Is this unique to this version, i hve not have problems with earlier nes /

Comment

• wer4ccsn
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Apr 2008
                                                                                • 50

#84
                                                                                Originally posted by rompower
                                                                                wer4ccsn.

The firmware coming with the dual DSP isn't final yet, that's why Classé didn't put it on their website...
                                                                                Ok. I guess I'll wait. Thank you
                                                                                Carlos

Comment

• rompower
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2008
                                                                                  • 241

#85
                                                                                  abcd

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2007
                                                                                    • 1532

#86
                                                                                    Classe now has v2.0.0 firmware for the dual DSP board. They have taken care of the couple of bugs in v1.9.9 and it's on their web site for download.

Eric

Comment

• HedgeHog
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Dec 2008
                                                                                      • 241

#87
                                                                                      I guess it's officially available as my dealer just emailed me saying my board is shipping today. Yay!
                                                                                      Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
                                                                                      Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
                                                                                      B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
                                                                                      Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
                                                                                      Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jul 2008
                                                                                        • 173

#88
                                                                                        I have had an SSP-800 on order for some time now. I have just found out from my dealer that I will likely receive it sometime in the next 2-3 weeks. Finally, light at the end of the tunnel.

I suspect that the dual-DSP upgrade boards by themselves would get out much faster as Hedgehog has indicated in his recent post.

It will be interesting to see what improvements in sound, if any, the dual-DSP upgrade board will make in the performance of the SSP-800. I hope that people will chime in on this.

Jim

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Mar 2005
                                                                                          • 253

#89
                                                                                          Upgraded my 800 from 1.99 to 2.0. The noise/tone generation now works across the channels including the aux channel where I have a second sub now connected. I am having one problem with the levels. The rear channels and subs are much too loud when matched to the front channels. I set the levels via SPL to 75 across all channels. I then played a couple blu-ray music discs... The rears and subs were way too loud. I then utilized an Avia II DVD to set the levels. This confirmed the rears and subs where much too high (about 5+ DB).

Let me know if you have the same challenge when you upgrade to 2.0.

Chuck

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Sep 2008
                                                                                            • 446

#90
                                                                                            Originally posted by SRT-10 Viper
                                                                                            Upgraded my 800 from 1.99 to 2.0. The noise/tone generation now works across the channels including the aux channel where I have a second sub now connected. I am having one problem with the levels. The rear channels and subs are much too loud when matched to the front channels. I set the levels via SPL to 75 across all channels. I then played a couple blu-ray music discs... The rears and subs were way too loud. I then utilized an Avia II DVD to set the levels. This confirmed the rears and subs where much too high (about 5+ DB).

Let me know if you have the same challenge when you upgrade to 2.0.
                                                                                            The noise levels changed with each rev of 1.9.9 I tested, 0058, 0060, 0061, 0062. It was correct in 0062. I'm on the road and have not had a chance to load 2.0 (0064).

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"