X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wigginjs
    • Jan 2008

Measuring a loudspeaker close to a wall

I've taken some measurements of an in-wall speaker I built. The measurements are taken at about 5" from the speaker. The speaker and the microphone are about 18" away from a side wall. The speaker measurements consistently have a hump in them from about 300hz to about 500hz, peaking at 400hz, with a magnitude of about 5dB. I did some calculations and it seems like the the wavelength@375Hz is ~36" (2 * 18"). Is this causing the peak in the measurement?
    The Four Chairs
    DIY Home Theater
  • Dave Bullet
    • Jul 2007

Easy test - assuming you can't move speaker and wall - put a large sheet of MDF or something reflective at 2/3rd the distance from the speaker (1/3rd distance in from the reflecting wall) and see if the hump moves up a bit (as the reflective distance will have decreased).

What software are you measuring with? Most measurement software requires you to gate out the reflections - which limits how low in frequency you can measure. The bigger the space - the longer the dimension of first reflection = the lower the measurement frequency.

The other option is to do a nearfield low frequency measurement and splice with a high frequency gated farfield measurement to see the overall.

Sounds like you are getting quarter space loading to me.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"