X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hank
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2002

In addition he's going to experiment with having an air gap between the RD50 and midbass panels.
    Why - to keep any woofer baffle vibration from the RD's? How about one baffle for both and mount the woofs from the rear without screws, using a brace to hold them against the baffles like some designs have done? Using good quality gasket material of course.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Hank
      Why -to keep any woofer baffle vibration from the RD's?
      No he wants the sound to go into the gap instead of interacting with the baffle.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ThomasW
        I don't recognize those planar elements.....?

Newform ribbons, I'd hazard....

Nice going Craig! :T :T :T

Don't let Mr. T pick on you.... :rofl:
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

No he wants the sound to go into the gap instead of interacting with the baffle.

Most especially, a midwoofer setup would really "pump" a dipole ribbon midrange or tweeter with a continuous panel- if they're disconnected, then the old side null applies.
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Obi-Wan
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• CraigJ
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dennis H
            klone the Excelarray. Boooooo. Something about the looks of that dildo standing next to a box thing really bugs me. If it were me, I'd go open baffle and build the ribbon into the baffle, crowding it as close as possible to the woofs. More work but it should both look and sound better.......Looking good, Craig! So that's a monopole Newform planar with dipole mids and woofers?
            Thanks Dennis,

You either have a very good memory, or are a good detective. As you can see, I did take your advice and used Thomas's older RD75 baffle design. Hank, what about 6 Aurasound NS10 per side with one RD75?

Craig
            p.s. you aren't the only one here keeping an eye on their parents.

Comment

• CraigJ
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
              Newform ribbons, I'd hazard....

Nice going Craig! :T :T :T

Don't let Mr. T pick on you.... :rofl:
              O.K., lets see how that check list of dipole builds while Jon is gone is coming;

-finish Isiris Jr. - done
              -finish Saint Saens- done
              -finish Phoenix - done
              -seek professional help from "speakers anonymous" - not done, next project?

Welcome back!
              Craig

Jon wrote, "if they're disconnected, then the old side null applies", guess that's why I left my gap. :W

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by CraigJ
                Hank, what about 6 Aurasound NS10 per side with one RD75?
                A lot of wasted Vd unless one's planning on EQing them to run really, really, low. With my old original black baffles with the 8" Eton's, they were barely off idle given the comparatively low output of the planar elements

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• CraigJ
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Johnloudb
                  Craig, let's see the back of those beauties! ;x( I'm curious how you hold them up.
                  John,
                  Here you go:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2600.webp
Views:	97
Size:	3.0 KB
ID:	936876
                  Last edited by theSven; 19 May 2023, 11:17 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Bigger image...

Name:	IMG_0517.webp
Views:	118
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	936875
                    Last edited by theSven; 19 May 2023, 11:17 Friday. Reason: Update image location

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Hank
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jul 2002

Most especially, a midwoofer setup would really "pump" a dipole ribbon midrange or tweeter with a continuous panel- if they're disconnected, then the old side null applies.
                      Whoa! Look who yanked his arm hard enough to break the chain to his job desk so he could type a few words! Is it the professor himself? I've been worried about your mental/physical health with your job absorption - the world of commercial high tech is brutal - I'm there :-(
                      So, two separate baffels, eh? What gap width between them?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

Whoa! Look who yanked his arm hard enough to break the chain to his job desk so he could type a few words! Is it the professor himself? I've been worried about your mental/physical health with your job absorption - the world of commercial high tech is brutal - I'm there :-(
                        So, two separate baffels, eh? What gap width between them?

Ola Hank!

The only sliver lining of the current economic conditions is that my management wants the books to look better, and lower costs, so now they're encouraging me to take some time off- will be at 75% duty the next few months. Would rather do 50% myself.... Just got back from two weeks on the road, trying to wrap things up at work to take the following week off with a "clear conscience". ;^)

What gap between them is a good question- a little experimentation so far shows that 2-3" is probably the minimum. But we'll see. I've got some Corian baffles I'm pondering using for part of the Saint-Saens, but that will be later this year at the earliest, as there are a couple of other "little" projects ahead of it, including a two piecer using the NHT sat module and hopefully a Duelund type crossover. And then there's the partially constructed/designed M12ta, and the nascent Indra Klone (NOT using any Accuton drivers). (let's not even go near the convertion of the M8ta from a two way to three way).

Obviously, I need to prioritize, or I need an Intel style Sabbatical. I don't know if either are possible, the latter is pretty dang unlikely!!

For that matter, I'm looking at a Duelund for the Saint-Saens, too- you know, the rabbit may be "Crazy for Coco Puffs", I've gone "Gaga for Duelund".

This is the target transfer function for the Indra Klone, center frequency of 1 kHz and aleph of 2.5.

Name:	IndraTarget.png
Views:	5506
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	852375

The cyan line indicates the level at which I think the drivers must track well for it to all add up; done correctly, the drivers are in the same relative phase through out that bandwidth. OTOH, another way of looking at it, is that for it to work correctly, the drivers MUST BE in the same relative phase from 200 Hz to 6 kHz for this to sum correctly. But it was pulled off OK in the NeoD CC after some work, and I think it's even more doable in this project.

BTW, this is an obvious (to me) candidate approach for the BG ribbons, as they go low, but won't play all that loud down low- a sort of prefect recipe for a Duelund approach, as output is reduced by -20 dB compared with reference level, which in this case lies in the frequency range that the BG's excel at. I expect to use a very similar target for the Saint-Saens.

We'll see how the "Indra Klone" and M12ta go; parts either here or an the way already. Not too expensive, except for the tweeter, and if you have to ask, it's too much.

~Jon
                        Last edited by theSven; 19 May 2023, 11:18 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Obi-Wan
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• CraigJ
                          • Feb 2006

Jon,

And to take Tim's thread even further off track....Just when I was about to build "my version" of the M12ta,

Name:	M12taFrontPlan.gif
Views:	86
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	936877

You mention the "Indra Klone", I'm in! Reminds me of Paul Ebert's beautiful Trillium speaker.

Craig
                          Last edited by theSven; 19 May 2023, 11:18 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Dennis H
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Aug 2002

For that matter, I'm looking at a Duelund for the Saint-Saens, too- you know, the rabbit may be "Crazy for Coco Puffs", I've gone "Gaga for Duelund".

This is the target transfer function for the Indra Klone, center frequency of 1 kHz and aleph of 2.5.
                            Hey Jon, good to see you back!

If you want to try my ghetto/redneck Duelund thing, that works out to LR2 filters at about 500 and 2K.

-------------------------------

Duelund 3-way with f=1000 and a=2.5
                            LspCAD optimization from 30-16K, error =~ .002dB

Woofer: LR2 lowpass @ 499.9 + LR2 lowpass @ 2000.4
                            Mid: LR2 highpass @ 499.8 + LR2 lowpass @ 2000.7
                            Tweeter: LR2 highpass @ 499.9 + LR2 highpass @ 2000.3

Most likely the slight differences are due to the target files only having .01dB precision.

Edit: yup that was it. I increased the resolution of the target files to 4 decimals and that put all the frequencies within .1 Hz on the optimization runs and dropped the error to ~.0007dB. Not that it matters, just having fun with numbers. :P

Comment

• mkc
                              • Aug 2007

Hi,

My first post to the board.

I would like to direct your attention to the following web page.

Here you can generate target files.

The wording is in danish at the moment, but I'm sure you can figure it out. I will try to talk to the web-site owner anf get the wording change to english.

A 4-way Duelund calculator has also been made, but not uploaded yet.

Best regards,
                              mkc

Edit by moderator to add link using Google translate

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                Mad Max Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dennis H
                                Hey Jon, good to see you back!

If you want to try my ghetto/redneck Duelund thing, that works out to LR2 filters at about 500 and 2K.

-------------------------------

Duelund 3-way with f=1000 and a=2.5
                                LspCAD optimization from 30-16K, error =~ .002dB

Woofer: LR2 lowpass @ 499.9 + LR2 lowpass @ 2000.4
                                Mid: LR2 highpass @ 499.8 + LR2 lowpass @ 2000.7
                                Tweeter: LR2 highpass @ 499.9 + LR2 highpass @ 2000.3

Most likely the slight differences are due to the target files only having .01dB precision.

Edit: yup that was it. I increased the resolution of the target files to 4 decimals and that put all the frequencies within .1 Hz on the optimization runs and dropped the error to ~.0007dB. Not that it matters, just having fun with numbers. :P

Now, let's see any of us get within two orders of magnitude of accuracy with real drivers and crossovers!!! :rofl:

But if you keep in mind the main concept and benefit- a single all pass like phase rollover with relatively low group delay, and phase tracking enough to achieve the expected summation in the midrange, you just may wind up with something nice to listen to. :T
                                the AudioWorx
                                Natalie P
                                M8ta
                                Modula Neo DCC
                                Modula MT XE
                                Modula Xtreme
                                Isiris
                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                Minerva Monitor
                                Calliope
                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                Obi-Wan
                                Modula PWB
                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                Natalie P Ultra
                                Natalie P Supreme
                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by mkc
                                  Hi,

My first post to the board.

I would like to direct your attention to the following web page.

Here you can generate target files.

The wording is in danish at the moment, but I'm sure you can figure it out. I will try to talk to the web-site owner anf get the wording change to english.

A 4-way Duelund calculator has also been made, but not uploaded yet.

Best regards,
                                  mkc

Edit by moderator to add link using Google translate
                                  http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpro.speakerbuilder.dk%2Fsynkron %2 F&sl=da&tl=en&history_state0=
                                  It's in English when I just tried it this afternoon! Thanks for the link and to the gentlemen putting in this effort!

Name:	DuelundWebProgram.jpg
Views:	1898
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	852376

I won't toss away my MathCAD files, but this can be a big help to others wanting to experiment. :T
                                  the AudioWorx
                                  Natalie P
                                  M8ta
                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                  Modula MT XE
                                  Modula Xtreme
                                  Isiris
                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                  Minerva Monitor
                                  Calliope
                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                  Obi-Wan
                                  Modula PWB
                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                    • Aug 2000

Jon,

And to take Tim's thread even further off track....Just when I was about to build "my version" of the M12ta,

Click image for larger version  Name:	M12taFrontPlan.gif Views:	0 Size:	37.0 KB ID:	936877

You mention the "Indra Klone", I'm in! Reminds me of Paul Ebert's beautiful Trillium speaker.

Craig
                                    ā€‹

Are we talking about the same "Indra", as in by Avalon?

Name:	avalon_indra_src_alt_1623537968_o.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	936878

Image not available

Just checking, as I have no idea what Paul's Trillium looks like. ops:
                                    Last edited by theSven; 19 May 2023, 11:22 Friday. Reason: Update image locations
                                    the AudioWorx
                                    Natalie P
                                    M8ta
                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                    Modula MT XE
                                    Modula Xtreme
                                    Isiris
                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                    Minerva Monitor
                                    Calliope
                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                    Obi-Wan
                                    Modula PWB
                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dennis H
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Aug 2002

Now, let's see any of us get within two orders of magnitude of accuracy with real drivers and crossovers!!! :rofl:

But if you keep in mind the main concept and benefit- a single all pass like phase rollover with relatively low group delay, and phase tracking enough to achieve the expected summation in the midrange, you just may wind up with something nice to listen to. :T
                                      Yeah, keeping it real, we won't get anywhere close with real drivers. But I'm into simple concepts a redneck can understand and S-plane math makes my head hurt. The stacked LR2 thing works with any real 3-way (or 4-way). It's what my old prof used to call 'elegant' -- easy to get a mental picture of an LR2 highpass and an LR2 lowpass giving the same phase rotation. I tested it down to a=2 where there's only about a 10% spread (f1=950, f2=1050) and it still works there. Below there, it starts to fall apart as the Duelund equations reduce down to an LR4 2-way at a=1.414 and don't work at all below 1.414.

Comment

• CraigJ
                                        • Feb 2006

Are we talking about the same "Indra", as in by Avalon?
                                        Yes, and I just completed course 101 in multi-facet veneering for the "big" project. Oh, and I would not recommend the inexpensive and super thin veneer that Menards/HD sells. May even get to build my second crossover without the help from Madisound.

Name:	IMG_2616.webp
Views:	110
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	936879

Craig
                                        Last edited by theSven; 19 May 2023, 11:22 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                          • Aug 2000

Looks pretty good, Craig! It is a challenge. Do you have a Rockler Store anywhere within reasonable (or unreasonable) driving distance? They have a lot of wood resources, and it's where I get all my hardwoods and veneer (in Pleasant Hill, about 35 miles from home).
                                          the AudioWorx
                                          Natalie P
                                          M8ta
                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                          Modula MT XE
                                          Modula Xtreme
                                          Isiris
                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                          Minerva Monitor
                                          Calliope
                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                          Obi-Wan
                                          Modula PWB
                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• CraigJ
                                            • Feb 2006

Do you have a Rockler Store anywhere within reasonable (or unreasonable) driving distance?
                                            Jon, The multi-faceted Phoenix/NaO project was an experiment using only "leftover" parts (except plumbing parts ). I didn't want to spend a lot of money on finishing, since there was a chance it might end up in a closet. Usually, as in the case of my "Saint-Saens"., I purchase my veneer from Tape-Ease.

Again, welcome back!

Craig

Comment

• Hank
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Jul 2002

Jon said:
                                              a single all pass like phase rollover with relatively low group delay, and phase tracking enough to achieve the expected summation in the midrange, you just may wind up with something nice to listen to.
                                              :agree: ;b> : :banana: :^x

Thomas, I just called madisound and the Peerless Nomex 830875 you like will be in stock in about a month at $54.30.

Comment

• pusle
                                                • Apr 2009

Active 4-way system and woofer selection

Hi

I'm a fan of the NEO3pdr as I've used it in an open baffle design I built about 5 years ago. It also had a 4.5inch seas mid-range and 8x 8" audax woofers pr channel. The sound was dynamic and good for live recordings and movies, but overall not that great.

I'm planning a new system now which will try to take a "best of several worlds" approach. Filter will be digital, maybe 4th order roll-off but phase linear, with time-alignment etc. Nothing between the amplifiers and the speaker terminals but wire. Here is a run down of the system, 1channel:

Tweeter : 1x NEO3pdr , 1250Hz - 20000Hz
                                                Mid-range : 1x NEO8 , 300HZ - 1250Hz
                                                Bass : 2x RS180 ? , 80Hz - 300Hz
                                                Sub : 2x L26roy , 20Hz - 80Hz

All drivers will be in sealed enclosures with digital correction for the sub. I'm thinking of maybe going bipolar, with additional rear mounted bass/mid/tweeter.
                                                Cabinet will be about 20cm wide, and 120-140cm tall, except at the bottom where it flares out to make room for the two 10" Seas on each side of the cabinet.

The choice of x-over freq is based on the notion that I don't want any nulls. As it is now there are about 6dB reduction +/-90Deg off axis when all the elements are spaced as close as possible (except the sub). In practice there will be a null at higher freqs, but what can you do..

My main question is about the woofer choice. The RS180 looks good on measurements I've seen. It's not too expensive, but will it sonically match the two Neo elements? Is there some other elements that would make a better match? I guess a tight waterfall diagram is the thing to look for?

How about the overall design? I am worried that maybe there is not enough area especially for the woofer, and perhaps should throw in more of them.
                                                Since I'm choosing sealed, the volume needed pr driver must be small...
                                                The same goes for Neo's too, but I do want it to be as close to a spherical radiation pattern as possible, and this excludes using more neo8's and neo'3s

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

-Pusle

Comment

• Hank
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Jul 2002

Hi and welcome, Pusle! I suggest you start a separate thread with your post. This thread is really about line arrays, particularly LA's based on the B-G RD 50/75. You'll get plenty of helpful comments on this forum.

Comment

• CraigJ
                                                    • Feb 2006

A bit higher on the food chain is the very nice Peerless Nomex 830875. These are among the most 'neutral' sounding drivers I've heard....
                                                    http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=1613
                                                    If anyone is interested, these drivers are on "buyout" at PE in the $27 range.

Craig

edit; apparently I can't read prices.
                                                    Last edited by CraigJ; 24 April 2009, 08:46 Friday.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                      • Aug 2000

Thomas is interested... just got an email from him.
                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                      Natalie P
                                                      M8ta
                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                      Isiris
                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                      Calliope
                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                      Modula PWB
                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hank
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Jul 2002

If anyone is interested, these drivers are on "buyout" at PE for $20 each
                                                        Whoa! So, Madisound just got a new shipment in and they're $54.30 ea/ $48.87 for 10+, BUT PE has them as a buyout? Normally that means they're discontinued by the mfgr...hmmm...
                                                        Anyway, I am interested too.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Aug 2000

Hank,

Get them ASAP.

I talked with PE yesterday they had a total of ~approx 150 pcs. And someone you know ordered 32 of those.....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                            • Aug 2000

Greedy little guy, aren't you? :W

I feel like I'm splurging when I go out and order four 7" drivers, as I did on Monday... :B
                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                            Natalie P
                                                            M8ta
                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                            Isiris
                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                            Calliope
                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                            Modula PWB
                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hank
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Jul 2002

Wow - 32? 16 per side? You must be going for the RD75 - I'm just not convinced I need that vertical coverage. Convince me already - otherwise it's the RD50.

Point: if these really are factory discontinued, it might be smart to order a spare or two.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Aug 2000

I'm using 12/side with RD75's, the other 8 are for a different project.

8/side is fine for RD50's

If you want to get any of these pull the trigger SOON because I just ordered 24 for Chasw98.... plus 6 spares.....that gets the free shipping on a wholesale account.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Bear
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Dec 2008

If anyone is interested, these drivers are on "buyout" at PE for $20 each.

Craig
                                                                  Up to $27/ea. in quantity now. Seems PE sensed a bit of a "run" on these.

Bill
                                                                  Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Aug 2000

Craig's $20 was a typo or he rounds off a little differently than most people.....

The retail pricing hasn't changed, $32.80 or $27.66 4+

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• chasw98
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Jan 2006

Greedy little guy, aren't you? :W

I feel like I'm splurging when I go out and order four 7" drivers, as I did on Monday... :B
                                                                      Yeah, I felt like a high roller today when at the end of the day I had a reason to find a hiding place in the house for 24 of these buggers! Going shopping with Thomas is fun! :T :E

Comment

• chasw98
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2006

Jon:
                                                                        Can you explain this in further detail as far as determinig how wide the gap should be and pitfalls to look for in design or just a plain old rule of thumb?

Chuck

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                          • 15306

I've only experimented with this in a somewhat casual kind of way; i.e., looking at low frequency component with a dipole woofer panel putting the mic at a midrange driver, and separating the panels until the level drops off significantly; 2-3 inches seems to be about the minimum. My concern is my older Fountek ribbons, which are NOT mounted in plastic, and can be damaged even by blowing on them. An RD panel, which has a relatively stiff plastic membrane involved, I don't think this is an issue to worry about. High compliance mids or tweeters, I think they'll act like a microphone if on a continuous panel- in fact, that's the easiest way to measure the effect. Using a separate measurement microphone it's easier to quantify the fall off in SPL.
                                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                                          Natalie P
                                                                          M8ta
                                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                                          Isiris
                                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                                          Calliope
                                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                                          Modula PWB
                                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• 1Michael
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Sep 2006
                                                                            • 293

QUOTE]Yeah, I felt like a high roller today when at the end of the day I had a reason to find a hiding place in the house for 24 of these buggers![/QUOTE]
                                                                            Must of been a big hiding place to fit 24 of me :E :rofl:
                                                                            Michael
                                                                            Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                                                              • Aug 2000
                                                                              • 15306

#83
                                                                              Originally posted by chasw98
                                                                              Yeah, I felt like a high roller today when at the end of the day I had a reason to find a hiding place in the house for 24 of these buggers! Going shopping with Thomas is fun! :T :E
                                                                              Those of us of more modest means have to be content with getting excited over receiving 4 - RS100-4 today... sure are cute little buggars, but I think they're going to need aluminum plates to mount on for adequate rear window. Have to see how they test out this weekend.
                                                                              the AudioWorx
                                                                              Natalie P
                                                                              M8ta
                                                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                                                              Modula MT XE
                                                                              Modula Xtreme
                                                                              Isiris
                                                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                              Minerva Monitor
                                                                              Calliope
                                                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                              Obi-Wan
                                                                              Modula PWB
                                                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Aug 2000
                                                                                • 10933

#84
                                                                                Originally posted by chasw98
                                                                                Jon:
                                                                                Can you explain this in further detail as far as determinig how wide the gap should be and pitfalls to look for in design or just a plain old rule of thumb?

Chuck
                                                                                I ask him the same question last week.

Answer, 2-3" should be fine....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Hank
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jul 2002
                                                                                  • 1345

#85
                                                                                  Okay, 25 of the Peerless ordered (with the help of The Kid).
                                                                                  Keep us posted on this "gap" thing. If it really applies to the RD's, as opposed to your true ribbons (I do understand true ribbon fragility), then okay. But if not, I'd sure like to do one solid baffle.

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Apr 2006
                                                                                    • 886

#86
                                                                                    25 HDS drivers - should be a heckuva project Hank! Looking forward to your design and helping out if you decide to go active.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                      • Aug 2000
                                                                                      • 15306

#87
                                                                                      Keep us posted on this "gap" thing. If it really applies to the RD's, as opposed to your true ribbons (I do understand true ribbon fragility), then okay. But if not, I'd sure like to do one solid baffle.

No issue with RD-s they have a relatively heavy film under tension. True ribbons, that's another matter.
                                                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                                                      Natalie P
                                                                                      M8ta
                                                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                                                      Isiris
                                                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                                                      Calliope
                                                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                                                      Modula PWB
                                                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• chasw98
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jan 2006
                                                                                        • 1360

#88
                                                                                        HanK:
                                                                                        Our small club is growing. I've got 24 on the way, you've got 25, and Thomas has a zillion on the way. We need to collaborate on the design so we/I don't do this twice. Are you thinking of RD75's or possibly Neo8 PDR's? Thomas has raised that question with me.

I still don't get the 'gap' thing but it sort of makes common sense in a way. In going over the AudioWorx and ALSR site, nobody used a gap at all. OTOH, they were all built at least more than 5 years ago when design technology was not as evolved(?) as it is today maybe. Almost all of the designs have fairly broad 'wings' for the RD75 and most of them do not use an array for the woofers. One idea I am thinking about is that I can cover the 'gap' with acoustically transparent grille cloth so the front will appear seamless in a room. Just covering the gap only, not the woofers or the RD75. I still have not come up with a way to build and safely support/brace the woofer/RD75 array that will also be esthetically pleasing. I have some ideas that may come to fruition involving aluminum, MDF, and Oak but I am still working out the details. The drivers arrive on Tuesday and I will probably sacrifice a sheet of MDF to test building and mounting 12 drivers in it for measuring and mounting possibilities this next weekend.

Chuck

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • May 2007
                                                                                          • 1877

#89
                                                                                          No issue with RD-s they have a relatively heavy film under tension. True ribbons, that's another matter.
                                                                                          What about diffraction issues. Is there any benefit to having a gap, between the woofers and RDs? I'm drawing up plans for my RD50 and 6 Usher 8" woofer configuration. I was considering having a completely separate baffle for the RD50 so I could position it how it sounds best. But I'm rethinking that - probably a waste of time? But, I'll may leave a gap in there.
                                                                                          John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                                            • 10933

#90
                                                                                            If nothing else having a gap would decouple the planars from the reactive vibrations created by the dynamic drivers shaking their section of the baffle.

Linkwitz goes to great length to demonstrate the effects of this for his Orion project. I don't know if I can get motivated to build a magnet based mounting system for 2 dozen drivers.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"