X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Appaloosa... a western with substance

Ed Harris, along with his backup man and best friend, Viggo Mortensen, are peacekeepers for hire. After the Marshall of Appaloosa is gunned down by Bragg, a mean and dangerous local rancher ( Jeremy Irons ), the town fathers bring in Harris and Mortensen. The task of returning peace and justice to the town of Appaloosa is complicated by the arrival of Renee Zellweger, a woman unlike any Harris has ever known. He becomes smitten with her and this causes friction between Harris and his friend Mortensen, who sees Zellweger for who she really is: a woman who will do anything to survive, which includes being unfaithful to Harris. This unlikable woman plays an important role in the dramatic conclusion where Mortensen shows us exactly what true friendship is all about.

Ed Harris directed, produced and co-scripted the screenplay, based on the novel by Robert B. Parker. Although this is a western of substance, I would not put it in a classic category like Unforgiven, or even Open Range. There are similiarities to The Assassination Of Jessee James in that Appaloosa is a character-driven western and this type of movie usually moves slowly and offers limited action. Though I felt the editing could have been tighter in spots, it is obvious that Harris needed time to show us just what makes these characters tick, and he does an excellent job here.

The look, feel, and atmosphere are all authentic. As well I found myself believing that this is the way people behaved in that particular era.

The PQ on Blu-ray is okay, but lacked the detail I've seen in other Blu-ray westerns such as 3:10 to Yuma and The Assassination Of Jessee James. The audio, for most parts is quiet, but when the lead flies you hear what the sound of gunfire really sounds like.

So, those looking for a western with a lot of action will likely be disappointed with Appaloosa. But take it from me, this is a darn good well directed, well written and well acted western. And though the action may be limited, when the violence does happen it will have you at the edge of your seat.

A big :T for a job well done by Harris and company.
    My Homepage!
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hee hee, I can't wait for my copy to get here! :dancenana:

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I really think you'll like this one, Tex.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

I thoroughly enjoyed it and will add to to my collection at some point.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Ovation
          I thoroughly enjoyed it and will add to to my collection at some point.
          Good to hear. Did you view it on Blu-ray ? If so, what did you think of the PQ ?
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

I watched it on BD. Generally, it looked very good (reflected the look I read Harris was aiming for) but in the first 5-8 minutes or so, it seemed to occasionally go a little out of focus (very slight, but I noticed it more than once). I don't know if it was intended or not, but I did not notice it happening again for the rest of the film.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Not sure about the focus, I'll look for it next time I watch it. What I did find is that the landscape scenery just wasn't as detailed as it was in, for example, 3:10 To Yuma.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• sikoniko
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

I got this for my bday recently. One of my friends said "it sucked". the reviews seem to be rather positive about it. I have not opened it as of yet, but your review makes me think that it wasn't what he was expecting (shoot-outs and lots of action a-la young guns).

what the assasination of Jesse James good? My wife doesn't like brad pitt...
                I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

It's not a "shoot-em up" movie (the gunfights are quick and sporadic--but effective within the story).

George, I think the lesser detail might have been deliberate (I've returned the rental copy so I can't check the featurette until I buy a copy). I've just recently gotten the BD of 3:10 and will be watching it soon (I'm teaching a course this summer on "The Wild West" and examining film portrayals of the old west is part of the course curriculum. I'm trying to select appropriate films to assign--so far, Unforgiven and The Searchers have made the list. Up for consideration are 3:10, Stagecoach, High Noon, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence and The Gunfighter (I have several more that I will offer as suggested viewings, including Appaloosa, but I'm trying to narrow it down to 3-4 required ones. A tough task).

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Tough task indeed. There are so many great westerns out there. Your course sounds interesting.
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• impala454
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2007

ovation just today I saw this on the chron.com (houston chronicle) website, might interest you:

go here: http://www.chron.com/
                      then on the right side under "Rodeo Houston" there's a link that says "20 Best Westerns", give it a click. Seems like a pretty good list, with a little commentary on each.
                      -Chuck

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

I forgot, I have this sitting on the shelf unopened.

Huh. Guess Ill have to give it a spin this weekend.
                        B&W

Comment

• Ovation
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by impala454
                          ovation just today I saw this on the chron.com (houston chronicle) website, might interest you:

go here: http://www.chron.com/
                          then on the right side under "Rodeo Houston" there's a link that says "20 Best Westerns", give it a click. Seems like a pretty good list, with a little commentary on each.
                          Thanks for the link. I don't see eye to eye with all of the comments but there are many fine films in that list.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Watched it the other night. Very good movie IMO.
                            As mentioned, not a shoot em up western, but one with a great story to tell.
                            B&W

Comment

• wkhanna
                              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

This is a story about the kind of relationship that can exist only between two men. A relationship that is based on total and unwavering respect, trust and admiration. It is also a story of how the only thing that could even remotely come close to uprooting such a relationship; as in Superman & Kryptonite.

Enter Renee Zellweger, aka, the ‘Femme Fatale’.

When one friend is forced to temper his personal feelings while at the same time turning his back to so easily betraying the other, he then goes even father by protecting him from some of our Femme’s darker truths. All the time thinking his dear friend is oblivious to her intent and pathological actions.

But, when the time comes, the trust that we thought was lost is shown to have never left, and in fact emerges stronger than ever despite all that was assumed.

The interaction between Harris & Mortensen is an acting coup d'état, as paragraphs of dialogue are replaced by simple but revealing gestures, looks, or at times, and even more importantly and revealing in their ability to portray complex thoughts and ideas, absolutely no words or actions at all.

Only a guy could understand how two best friends could get up at 4:30 AM, hook up a boat to the hitch, drive to the lake, fish all day, not catch a thing, drive home, only say ‘morning’ & ‘later guy’ over the entire couse of events, and then, when asked by the wife, “did you guys have good day fishing?” sincerely answer her with one word, “Perfect!”

Of all the ‘buddy’ films ever made, this one may capture that ethereal phenomena better any I can think of.

Sadly, the movie ends with the truism that only a few lucky men will ever avoid. As my favorite crooner, Mel Torme, sang so splendidly in his rendition of "Blues in the Night":

A woman will sweet talk
                              And give you the big eye
                              But when that sweet talk is done
                              A woman’s a two faced
                              A woman’s something that would leave you
                              Singing the blues in the night

And if you did not already guess, I absolutely loved this film. :T
                              Thanks for the tip, Sir George!
                              Last edited by wkhanna; 16 March 2009, 19:33 Monday.
                              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2001

Well said, Bill. You really get what the film is all about. I'd like to see more of that type of commentary on films you've watched as we do seem to have very similar tastes.
                                My Homepage!

Comment

• wkhanna
                                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

As always and ever, at your service, Sir George.
                                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"