X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Hberg
    Yesterday and early today the software download section of the Classe' site brings up a Microsoft VBScript runtime error stating that "path not found." Now it is back up, and I will try updating the firmware. I need to get a RS232 to USB adapter, and I should be good to go.

The Classe' does not state that there is any issue using a Windows Vista computer, and the Amplifier Downloader software seems to run on my desktop. (Unless someone knows differently)
    There is supposedly an issue with the Classe' download site with Microsoft Vista. I was told they are working to correct the problem, but from what you are saying, the problem still exists. There is not supposedly a problem using XP.

Comment

• Hberg
      • Apr 2008

Vista and Firmware upgrades

Originally posted by beden1
      There is supposedly an issue with the Classe' download site with Microsoft Vista. I was told they are working to correct the problem, but from what you are saying, the problem still exists. There is not supposedly a problem using XP.
      Actually, per your suggestion I emailed Classe' and Tom was nice enough to reply. For everybody's reference I am pasting his reply.

"I would agree that the failure of the SSP-800 to recognize the CA-3200 is a sign that the amp needs updating. Firmware updates are cumulative, so updating with the current code will deliver all the advantages of earlier versions.

You can upate using a USB to RS-232 adaptor but you may need to reassigned the adaptor COM port to one of the COM ports (COM Port 1-4) that are available on the downloader. To do this right click on MY COMPUTER, select PROPERTIES/HARDWARE/DEVICE MANAGER/PORTS. Right click on the USB to Serial connector, then select PROPERTIES/PORT SETTINGS/ADVANCED. If the COM Port number is over 4 then you need to reassign it to a COM Port 1 – 4, then try to perform the update.

I have checked with our IT department and there is technically no reason for the downloader not to work on Windows Vista.

I hope this information is helpful."
      "If 'A' equals success, then the formula is 'A = _ X + Y + Z.' 'X' is work. 'Y' is play. 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

I received notice of the Vista software issue on 8/15, stating that it would be fixed by next week (this week). If you're still having a problem after following the update instructions you received from Classe' today, then you know it still may be the compatibility issue with Vista.

Comment

• ryst
          • May 2007

Originally posted by rogerdn
          My dealer is holding off getting his -800 until the software (not decode) is fixed, does anyone know status ?
          My dealer said the same thing efter they had spoke with B&W UK.
          2-4 weeks more before they will ship the unit, may take some more time :cry:

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

My dealer decided to wait for Classé SSP-800 to release the new codec and work out the bug. Bummer I wanted to hear it soner I guess I will have to be patient.
            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• MikeyH
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by wettou
              My dealer decided to wait for Classé SSP-800 to release the new codec and work out the bug. Bummer I wanted to hear it soner I guess I will have to be patient.
              My dealer told me the same thing. That's why I got the Marantz AV8003 for now. Hopefully they get everything fix by next year.

Mike

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

Originally posted by MikeyH
                My dealer told me the same thing. That's why I got the Marantz AV8003 for now. Hopefully they get everything fix by next year. Mike
                I might pick up the Integra DTC 9.9 in the mean time coming out in September! That will hold me until the Classé has sorted out the problems and updated the DSP boards to include all new codecs. I don't mind beeing a beta tester as long as I don't have to shell out $8000 for it
                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• MikeyH
                  • Aug 2008

I might pick up the Integra DTC 9.9 in the mean time coming out in September! That will hold me until the Classé has sorted out the problems and updated the DSP boards to include all new codecs. I don't mind beeing a beta tester as long as I don't have to shell out $8000 for it
                  Im in the same boat. But for now i think the Marantz ok. I rather have SSP-800 especially the 2CH.

Mike

Comment

• rogerdn
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by ryst
                    My dealer said the same thing efter they had spoke with B&W UK.
                    2-4 weeks more before they will ship the unit, may take some more time :cry:

Disappointed but thks for the info

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by MikeyH
                      Im in the same boat. But for now i think the Marantz ok. I rather have SSP-800 especially the 2CH. Mike
                      I don't do 2 CH any more SACD multichannel and movies even for my loosless Ipod music I use Dolby Prologic IIx:T

RebelMan, what happen to that great link with all you information on the SSP-800? :cry:

Comment

• beden1
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2006

I was hoping we would be receiving more reviews from those who have had their SSP-800's for some time now.

Is the near silence good or bad news?

Comment

• wettou
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • May 2006

I was hoping we would be receiving more reviews from those who have had their SSP-800's for some time now. Is the near silence good or bad news?
                          That is the question? I would hope good news as they are probably rediscovering their collections, which would explain the silence! :B

If it is bad news because it has bugs and the sound is not worth the $8000 then we might never hear from them again. :W

Comment

• RebelMan
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

RebelMan, what happen to that great link with all you information on the SSP-800? :cry:
                            Not sure what you mean. The Official SSP-800 Thread with the specifications is still active.
                            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• RebelMan
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

I was hoping we would be receiving more reviews from those who have had their SSP-800's for some time now.

Is the near silence good or bad news?
                              It takes time to break-in and I just reached the half way point. :P There will be plenty to talk about but I feel some things are best left unsaid until the necessary milestone has been reached. Silence is golden (take that to mean what you think) but all is not perfect in paradise. Thankfully, the minor issues I have run into don't impair sound quality, functional operation only and this was to be expected.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

That is the question? I would hope good news as they are probably rediscovering their collections, which would explain the silence! :B

If it is bad news because it has bugs and the sound is not worth the $8000 then we might never hear from them again. :W
                                Your first guess is the correct guess. :B

Comment

• wettou
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • May 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                  Not sure what you mean. The Official SSP-800 Thread with the specifications is still active.
                                  For some reason some time it's gone and like today it has six version of it!!

Comment

• wettou
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • May 2006

Your first guess is the correct guess. :B
                                    Enjoy are you going to CEDIA?

Comment

• Harmonium
                                      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by rompower
                                      Good idea about the overload. I'll give a try.

What do you suggest to keep everything safe and.. well something to remove "noise" from electricity. I think there is some apc especially for those kind of energy eater like amplifier and etc...
                                      I saw some Monster cable product . Monster Power.. "supposed to have a filter"... Don't even know if it's really good or not.

Thanks
                                      Shunyata is the best with no doubts about it !

Comment

• nedkuehn
                                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                        I really wish we had some people on this board that have experience with the ML No40 or the Proceed AVP2 and will have an opportunity to A/B/C them against the SSP-800. I'm wondering how much DNA they share...
                                        I just sold my Levinson No.40 and am awaiting delivery of the SSP-800. I owned the NO.40 for a bit over 5 years and did have it upgraded to the HD version. I should have good insight into how the SSP-800 measures up (or hopefully exceeds) the No.40 regarding PCM HDMI and S/PDIF audio. I will post my impressions once (if ever) the SSP-800 arrives.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by nedkuehn
                                          I just sold my Levinson No.40 and am awaiting delivery of the SSP-800. I owned the NO.40 for a bit over 5 years and did have it upgraded to the HD version. I should have good insight into how the SSP-800 measures up (or hopefully exceeds) the No.40 regarding PCM HDMI and S/PDIF audio. I will post my impressions once (if ever) the SSP-800 arrives.
                                          Great news! Welcome to the club! Would you share your reasons for moving to SSP-800?
                                          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• nedkuehn
                                            • Aug 2008

Great news! Welcome to the club! Would you share your reasons for moving to SSP-800?
                                            Gladly. Without question, the No.40 was (is) a great sounding processor. The principle weaknesses that were not going to be addressed were lack of HDMI 1.3a switching and no future for Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master decoding. I was becoming increasingly tired of external HDMI matrix switchers introducing HDMI handshaking issues. The No.40 video processor box was rendered irrelevant a few years back with the onset of HDMI. Another problem was that my local Levinson dealer went out of business a few years back and trying to work with Levinson directly was an ongoing frustration. (Customer support at Classe far out classes that provided by Levinson.) Finally, since some of the brilliant minds behind the SSP-800 are those that developed the No.40, I have utmost confidence that the SSP-800 will be an excellent sounding processor. Even with its updated D/A converters and updated processing modes, the newly introduced Levinson No.502 Media Console was not even a consideration as it only supports HDMI version 1.1 and again no provisions for Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master decoding! Because of its conservative approach to engineering, Levinson will probably remain a marginal force in the pre/pro world due to their seeming inability to address rapidly moving developments in this arena. If the SSP-800 equals the sound quality of the No.40 I will be pleased, if it exceeds that of the No.40 I will be ecstatic.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by nedkuehn
                                              Even with its updated D/A converters and updated processing modes, the newly introduced Levinson No.502 Media Console was not even a consideration as it only supports HDMI version 1.1 and again no provisions for Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master decoding! Because of its conservative approach to engineering, Levinson will probably remain a marginal force in the pre/pro world due to their seeming inability to address rapidly moving developments in this arena.
                                              Especially since it is rumored to be nothing more than a Lexicon-12BHD with a different case.

I heard the No.502 and wasn't at all impressed.

Comment

• Glen B
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Jul 2004

I'll be able to bring as many circuit I want... But.. why directly in the wall outlets? instead of power conditioner?

But, what about electrical noise? It's a myth or?!? Does it really help to put a power conditioner? (for sound indeed)

Thanks
                                                A number of HTG members use balanced AC power, both DIY and factory-built (see FAQs in Mission Possible DIY where there's tons of information). http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=28320 There are several manufacturers, BPT, Equi=Tech, and Furman being among the more popular ones. I've been using balanced power for a few years now and have realized benefits in the areas of darker background, improved bass definition and extension, and greater detail and transparency -- without any of the loss of dynamics or constriction that has been reported with some other forms of power conditioning.

Is electrical noise a myth ? Check out the following link to a thread at the PS Audio Forum on measurements of household electrical noise. The poster is an EE professor at Tulane University.

Comment

• Tylercoupe
                                                  • Aug 2008

SSP-800 software release online

I just noticed that the Classe site now has a software update for the SSP-800. I have the beta version but won't be home until after work to determine if this is a final release of still a beta version. Anyone have any idea?

Comment

• Hberg
                                                    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Tylercoupe
                                                    I just noticed that the Classe site now has a software update for the SSP-800. I have the beta version but won't be home until after work to determine if this is a final release of still a beta version. Anyone have any idea?
                                                    In addition, what downloader program do you use to install this update since no such program is listed with the SSP-800 update?
                                                    "If 'A' equals success, then the formula is 'A = _ X + Y + Z.' 'X' is work. 'Y' is play. 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• Tylercoupe
                                                      • Aug 2008

Download

Just spoke with Tom at Classe...it is the release version...no bar.

use the download program found in the SSP-600

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Mar 2005

Just spoke with Tom at Classe...it is the release version...no bar.

use the download program found in the SSP-600
                                                        Indeed. The pre-release firmware was version DEVELOPMENT 0.3.5 build 0029. Final code is version 1.0.0 build 0033.

Comment

• beden1
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Oct 2006

Indeed. The pre-release firmware was version DEVELOPMENT 0.3.5 build 0029. Final code is version 1.0.0 build 0033.
                                                          Maybe this means my ready for retail unit will be shipped before too long?

Comment

• wettou
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • May 2006

Maybe this means my ready for retail unit will be shipped before too long?
                                                            My dealer told me an other month or two before the final release, he is going to Cedia and will speak with Dave.

Comment

• rompower
                                                              • May 2008

On Classé website...

"SSP-800 Shipping now"

I gues IT IS the final CODE

Comment

• rompower
                                                                • May 2008

How do we update the code? rs-232? same procedures to update amplifiers like ca-3200?

Comment

• beden1
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Oct 2006

My dealer told me an other month or two before the final release, he is going to Cedia and will speak with Dave.
                                                                  Nah! Supposedly Dave told my dealer last week that my SSP-800 would be delivered there during the first week of September, or by the second week at the latest.

Now this is only good if my dealer's showroom is still there with all of the potential hurricanes heading in the direction of Florida from Africa! :takecover:

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2003

Classe updated their site to say "SSP-800 Shipping now"

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2005

How do we update the code? rs-232? same procedures to update amplifiers like ca-3200?
                                                                      Same as the SSP-600.

Comment

• Tylercoupe
                                                                        • Aug 2008

Tyler,

I am very excited to hear your thoughts. There are some people over on AVS that are die-hards when it comes to the AVP2, and I think it would be great for the SSP-800 to fill those shoes for them! Would you share with us which room is your primary listening room? Media or Living Room?
                                                                        Actually my prime listening room is a 2ch only system...and 80% vinyl. I have a SME 20/titan-i/ASR Basis Ex. phono setup through a AR Ref 2 pre. I also use a Naim CDS-3 for CD. This is the system where I can really relax and enjoy the music...primarily jazz and chamber music.

the other 2 systems get split equally but for different reasons...the AVP2/Levinson system is where my Runco 61" and 1000d video projector are. The screen drops down in front of the plasma for watching movies. I considered moving the Classe down to the media room and still may. This room is where the kids watch the movies, I watch sports events and I use for DVD concert discs. Both video components lack HDMI so the 1000d gets the DVI inputs from DVD/HD cable and the 61" gets HD component...I use the CVP2 which switchs component inputs from the AVP

The Family room system is centered around a Runco 50" plasma. It also is the source for the distributed house system and the outside living area. The classe fits better with the apple TV, HD cable box sources since they are both HDMI (although I do not use HDMI for audio transmission yet). Most of my movie watching is done here...while I like the big screen downstairs...I am much more of an audio focused guy and the 50" plasma with a great sound system suits me well...I have found myself just listening to 2Ch on bypass over the last few days...it is also the system that serves as entertainment and casual listening. Based on what I have heard so far...I may be drawn to more critical listening but right now the sitting arrangement is not ideal for a single 2ch sweet spot.

I plan on updating the software this weekend and continuing to break-in...I will try to get some thoughts out over the next few weeks...especially in comparison to the AVP...they both use Thiel 7.2s

Comment

• Hberg
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Apr 2008

Mission Accomplished

The SSP-800 is now update to Version 1.0.0 Build 0033, and the yellow strip is gone.

I did end up having to use a USB to RS232 adapter rather than a regular USB cable. For some odd reason I could not get the program to detect the SSP-800 with a regular USB cord.

Tom did provide a special Downloader for Vista. I can provide that to anyone that needs it, or you can request it from Classe'.

Comment

• Tylercoupe
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Aug 2008
                                                                            • 31

update complete

I just updated mine with the USB...using XP

Used the opportunity to also backup my settings

Comment

• wettou
                                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2006
                                                                              • 3389

Marketing exagerations...

I just updated mine with the USB...using XP Used the opportunity to also backup my settings
                                                                              Official Classé is selling SSP-800 to main stream! Unfortunately their marketing brochure a lot of blah blah in their brochure with very little substance since they have no new technologies incorporated in there I counted the word "Quality" 9 times. We understand sound quality is important. It would have been nice to undesrtand why is it that the SSP-800 will be so superior to anything out there?

"SSP—a surround sound processor to set the standard as the high definition
                                                                              era dawns. The result is the SSP-800, Classé’s statement preamp/processor."

Well, it doesn't even decode any of the new Codec!!! Yes, I know they will upgrade for free when it becomes available in the year 2010!

Ok the plus side

- looks cool, maybe not $8000 cool
                                                                              - Texas Instruments-based platform which operates in 64-bit double precision but no new codec decoding!
                                                                              - touchscreen control

On the other hand it misses a lot of new features and technologies

- No video upsacling, (Realta, or others any one!!)
                                                                              - No THX decoding
                                                                              - No new codec decoding, (sorry in the future!)
                                                                              - No Room EQ (it is not consistent and you can do better with your ears)

Basicaly no real upto date features outside of HDMi 1.3 and they call this leading edge!!

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • Mar 2005
                                                                                • 3139

wettou, I think it's time for you to move along. Seriously, the rehashing is old and tired.

Comment

• rompower
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2008
                                                                                  • 241

rebelman, I think wettou is trying to m.m. dunno how to explain it in english but well..
                                                                                  looks like he's trying to comfort himself not buying this GREAT product

Wettou: stop yelling, GO BUY IT and share your love for the product =)
                                                                                  Your speakers are waiting and begging for it

Comment

• beden1
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Oct 2006
                                                                                    • 1676

Official Classé is selling SSP-800 to main stream! Unfortunately their marketing brochure a lot of blah blah in their brochure with very little substance since they have no new technologies incorporated in there I counted the word "Quality" 9 times. We understand sound quality is important. It would have been nice to undesrtand why is it that the SSP-800 will be so superior to anything out there?

"SSP—a surround sound processor to set the standard as the high definition
                                                                                    era dawns. The result is the SSP-800, Classé’s statement preamp/processor."

Well, it doesn't even decode any of the new Codec!!! Yes, I know they will upgrade for free when it becomes available in the year 2010!

Ok the plus side

- looks cool, maybe not $8000 cool
                                                                                    - Texas Instruments-based platform which operates in 64-bit double precision but no new codec decoding!
                                                                                    - touchscreen control

On the other hand it misses a lot of new features and technologies

- No video upsacling, (Realta, or others any one!!)
                                                                                    - No THX decoding
                                                                                    - No new codec decoding, (sorry in the future!)
                                                                                    - No Room EQ (it is not consistent and you can do better with your ears)

Basicaly no real upto date features outside of HDMi 1.3 and they call this leading edge!!
                                                                                    I hear what you're saying (and keep saying), but in the end, I decided the most important thing for me was that all my speakers/channels sound as great as possible (top two channel sound quality in multi-channel). If I went with something other than the SSP-800 just to get more tech features, I didn't want to keep thinking that I should have/could have . . . and then stayed on the upgrade merry-go-round just to try and achieve the sound I want to hear, when I could get the sound I wanted in the first place from the SSP-800.

I'm hoping the SSP-800 sounds great, and I'll let my other components perform the tasks that they were best designed to do (like video upscaling and hi-def decoding).

Comment

• Hberg
                                                                                      Member
                                                                                      • Apr 2008
                                                                                      • 95

I'm hoping the SSP-800 sounds great, and I'll let my other components perform the tasks that they were best designed to do (like video upscaling and hi-def decoding).
                                                                                      Beden,

I honestly do not think you will be disappointed.

Once you get the SSP-800 just sit back and enjoy!

Jeff H'berg

Comment

• beden1
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Oct 2006
                                                                                        • 1676

Originally posted by Hberg
                                                                                        Beden,

I honestly do not think you will be disappointed.

Once you get the SSP-800 just sit back and enjoy!

Jeff H'berg
                                                                                        Thanks, that's exactly what I intend to do! :T

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                          • May 2006
                                                                                          • 3389

wettou, I think it's time for you to move along. Seriously, the rehashing is old and tired.
                                                                                          You are right but still, I wish the decision was easier. I f I was looking at $2K then ok but this $8K so I want to get my money's worth :B

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                            • May 2006
                                                                                            • 3389

Wettou: stop yelling, GO BUY IT and share your love for the product =) Your speakers are waiting and begging for it
                                                                                            I am not yelling just stating facts and yes I think you are right my spaekers are asking for it's just I am a logical man and the rational doesn't compute. Having said that may be once it's in my rig it will win me over :T

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"