• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

How NOT to do home A/V installations.

Saw this news report today:

I was especially taken aback by the sentence that "she was killed with the SECOND of TWO shots, trying to run a wire hole through the wall".

Man Shooting Hole Through Wall Kills Wife
    Deepwater Man Fatally Shoots Wife While Installing Satellite TV

POSTED: 6:25 am CDT March 25, 2008
    UPDATED: 5:53 pm CDT March 25, 2008

DEEPWATER, Mo. -- Officials were trying Tuesday to decide whether to file charges against a Missouri man who fatally shot his wife while trying to install a satellite TV system in the bedroom of their home.

Patsy Long, 34, of Deepwater, died after being shot in the chest with a .22-caliber handgun on Saturday. Her husband, Ronald Long, fired the shot from the inside of their home after several unsuccessful efforts to punch a hole through the exterior wall using other means.

Henry County sheriff's deputies said the woman was hit by the second of two shots fired by her husband.

Long was given CPR by neighbors and family until medics arrived, police said. She was transported by air ambulance, but was pronounced dead at the hospital just after 6 p.m.

"He was under the impression that everybody was inside the residence, that he knew where everybody was at,” said sheriff's department spokesman Maj. Robert Hills.

Hills said a person involved in such a case normally would be charged with manslaughter, but that would be up to the prosecutor.

"Once we complete a diagram of the incident, we will be submitting everything to the prosecuting attorney and let him decide if he wants to press criminal charges," Hills said.

Henry County Coroner Scott Largent declined to release details about Patsy Long's death until the sheriff's department completes its investigation.

On Tuesday morning, Henry County Prosecuting Attorney Richard M. Shields said he has yet to receive the case from the sheriff's department.

Neighbor Mark Lassince said he believed it was a tragic accident.

"Bad things happen to good people,” Lassince said.

Patsy and Ronald Long were raising their two children in their rural home overlooking Truman Lake.

"I was in the shower, and the son came in and told me his mom had been shot, so we went up there to see if we could help,” Lassince said.

Patsy Long worked as a carhop at a Sonic restaurant in Warsaw, Mo.

“She was a good person, you know, took care of her family,” Lassince said.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • joetama
    • May 2006

WOW... How did that ever seem like a good idea?
    -Joe

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

I don't understand how people are so comfortable with guns they don't use their brain.

Comment

• joetama
        • May 2006

Originally posted by Dougie085
        I don't understand how people are so comfortable with guns they don't use their brain.
        Hmmm....

I was brought up around guns. My brother and I learned to shoot when we were little. But, we were always told and were expected to respect guns and their power.

I guess some people never got that information or took it seriously.

But, then again there are a lot of people that just don't use their brain ever.
        -Joe

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Yeah its just crazy.

Comment

• impala454
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2007

The really sad part is that you couldn't fit a coax cable through the hole a .22 would make.
            -Chuck

Comment

• Alaric
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

The second half of this tragedy is he'll now be the sole caretaker for the children if he doesn't go to jail. :cry:

Oh-my-GOD (best Jonathan Quail Higgins voice)
              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
              Schiit Modi 3
              Marantz CD5005
              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

This will be up for a "Darwin Award" for sure. According to "Darwin Awards", IIRC, a guy once killed himself in a similar fashion. He was trying to drill a hole through an exhaust pipe for his car and couldn't find a drill. He went inside his house, retrieved his handgun, placed it near the pipe, fired away and had the bullet ricochet into his head. Death was rather instantaneous.

Comment

• Kevin P
                  • Aug 2000

He would have had to kill himself to qualify for a Darwin Award.

Comment

• joetama
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by Kevin P

Indeed... But this one isn't far off. I feel bad for the children.
                    -Joe

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

I do to cause either way they are in a screwed up situation. If he goes to jail they lose both their parents if he doesn't then they have some idiot father the rest of their lives.

Comment

• Ovation
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Kevin P
                        They have an honorary category that covers things like this, I think.

Comment

• Kevin P
                          • Aug 2000

Also, he had kids, so that would probably disqualify him as well. To get the award, one has to remove themselves from the gene pool before they pass on their defective genes. At least that would make the most sense.

If they had no kids and the wife was an idiot too (e.g. standing on the other side of the wall saying "ok, shoot the hole here!") then it would certainly qualify.

Comment

• H.Donald
                            • Aug 2004

Not to make light of the situation,but once again I am reminded of a line from one of my favorite movies.
                            The Friends of Eddie Coyle,starring Robert Mitchum..."life is hard,it's even harder when you are stupid"...

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

Sad and stupid :/
                              Jason

Comment

• mjb
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

But did he finish the sat installation?
                                - Mike

Main System:
                                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• David Meek
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                  if he doesn't then they have some idiot father the rest of their lives.
                                  Yes, but he's already their father, and from then on it would probably (hopefully) be an idiot father with a seriously higher sense of responsibility.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"