X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mike93lx
    • Dec 2007

In need of driver/x-over recommendations for a mini monitor

I'm looking to build a small set of speakers. The only real requirements are:
    1) low cost (under $100 for all components, not including enclosures would be great)
    2) mid has to have a cutout of 4" or smaller
    3) 8 ohm impedance

MTM is possible, but MT is preferred due to size. Sealed or ported, doesn't matter. power will be 25wrms x 2 and these will be used as computer speakers with a 6.5-8" subwoofer.

I'm not expecting anything special here. I am just looking to inprove on my exisitng computer speaker setup.

Any recommendations?
  • Bill Schneider
    • Sep 2007

I'm about to build a pair of Zaph's Bargain Mini speakers - 4" woofer, and the tiny Aura NT1 tweeter. Driver costs are very low, and crossover parts aren't expensive either.

Construction and parts are well documented here:

My audio projects:
    https://www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

• mike93lx
      • Dec 2007

Bill - thanks for the suggestion. I noticed that when I was searching last night. I think that the issues in mounting the woofer would prove to be too difficult in the cabinet that I am designing and I won't be able to use a rear mount tweeter.

I should also mention that I would prefer a silk dome tweeter and any kind of integrated grill on the tweeter would be fantastic.

I know this is a tall order, but I have seen some incredible designs on this forum and some ingenious members.

thanks!

Comment

• Jed
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Apr 2005

Comment

• mike93lx
          • Dec 2007

jed- thanks for that link. it looks like that might be the ticket.

any other designs to look at?

Comment

• Jed
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Apr 2005

For the $100 range the Microbe is tough to beat. Though it's probably more like $135ish with crossover. You can see my review on his page. It's a very well documented design.

Comment

• Turn2
              • Dec 2006

The Microbe is a great design. This might work as well or better with a low power amp:

Lou C's Amethyst

Comment

• mike93lx
                • Dec 2007

thanks. the Amethyst looks like a great design, but the 4 ohm impedance won't work with the amp that I plan to use. 6 ohm is probably about as low as I could go.

Comment

• Ray_D
                  • Apr 2005

Zaph Mini's are great for $100

I have built the Modula MT, Nat P's and RS225/RS150/RS28A three ways with Dennis Murphy crossovers. I like Dayton Reference Drivers.

I built Zaph's Mini and was amazed at the performance for the cost. You can build two of them for $100 TOTAL cost, not just drivers and crossovers.

I have built 17 so far. I have built three home theater systems, two of which have RS315 based subs. I also use them for enclosure finish studies.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Operandi
                    • May 2007

Microbe would be my choice considering the budget.

Comment

• jkrutke
                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Ray_D
                      I have built 17 so far. I have built three home theater systems, two of which have RS315 based subs. I also use them for enclosure finish studies.
                      Geez, if you keep going I think I'm going to have to give you some sort of award. Nice looking boxes there. Kinda makes my original walnut design look a little boring.
                      Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Ray_D
                        • Apr 2005

Thanks John

John

Thanks for your web site. It's great.

I'm sure you agree that the Microbe is a fine design. It's just not a $100 speaker. The RS150 is certainly better built than the MCM, but it's three times the cost.

I've included a picture of the oak veneer speakers I built for my sister. I've built similar ones for my kids in cherry, natural and stained dark walnut.

Ray
                        Attached Files

Comment

• jkrutke
                          • Dec 2005

I hate to report that the Aura NT1 is out of stock. Bummer, as I've used it in two designs. (this mini and the 3.5 way Dayton Tower) I also hate to report that none of the PE neos are suitable replacements without a crossover redesign.

I'm still waiting to hear from anyone if the rear-mount Dayton neos still have the packaging issues I've seen. Dented domes were too common with that tweeter. If anyone has a recent purchase of the ND20FB with a form fitted plastic cover rather than a square foam pad, let me know.

I will be investigating the new Hi-Vi T20 as a replacement. Of course the verdict is out on it's real performance numbers, so nobody get your hopes up.
                          Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Outfitter
                            • Apr 2006

Hey Ray-

Thise speakers look great! In post #9 from left to right what veneer and finish did you ise on each one?

Comment

• Outfitter
                              • Apr 2006

Hey Ray-

Thise speakers look great! In post #9 from left to right what veneer and finish did you use on each one?

Comment

• Ray_D
                                • Apr 2005

Veneers and finish

Stained quartered oak, natural quartered mahogany and natural flat cut cherry.

The finish is General Finishes Arm-R-Seal wipe-on poly on all.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"