X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • prymel
    • Jan 2008

C1 and HDMI

I'm using the C1 Controller with the Zhd HDMI switcher, and I'm looking for some clarity on how these work together. I've browsed through various threads, but I'm still confused.

Am I correct in saying that there is no way to get HDMI audio through the C1 via the Zhd, and that the only use for the Zhd is to do the video switching? My video sources (DirecTV and PS3) are routed through the Zhd, which is connected by HDMI to my TV. Which works fine, but I don't see how (or if) this would address audio through the surround system via HDMI?

Secondly, if the above assessment is accurate, I'm perfectly fine sourcing audio through optical or coaxial connections, but when I use either of these, the audio and video are out of sync, but the signal is 5.1. Otherwise, to get a sync'd up audio/video signal, I use an optical connection from the TV to the C1, but that only sends a 2-channel signal, so I'm unable to get DD or DTS, which is naturally undesirable. Is there a way to solve the out of sync issue?

If this is addressed elsewhere in a thread or FAQ please post a link. Otherwise, I'd be grateful to anyone who can help me sort through this.

Thanks!
    Perry
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Heya, Perry, and welcome, if I haven't given you a welcome banana before! :banana:

Originally posted by prymel
    Am I correct in saying that there is no way to get HDMI audio through the C1 via the Zhd, and that the only use for the Zhd is to do the video switching?
    Yup. And Parasound has stated that HDMI audio capability will NOT be added to the C1/C2. Video only. (I use an outboard decoder for HDMI audio decoding)

Is there a way to solve the out of sync issue?
    Yup... the latest software version of the C1 does add lipsync capability. The user's manual (and the data that comes with the update) has info on how to use it!
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• prymel
      • Jan 2008

The software update on Parasound's website indicates that it adds lipsync capability for a lot of modes, but doesn't mention DD/DTS. Just to make sure I'm understanding, my issue is that using the optical or coaxial to decode sound produces the lipsync issues in DD and DTS with a connection from DTV/PS3 to the C1. But if I use the optical direct from the TV to the PS3, then lipsync is fine, but I can't get DD/DTS (TV won't allow DD/DTS streams through the optical if there is already a HDMI connection linked up to it).

So I want to be certain that if I download the software, it will address the lipsync issue I'm having with the PS3/DTV connections for DD/DTS, because the software description doesn't sound like it would, based on my reading. But I may very well be unclear on the technical aspects.

Chris - can you describe the outboard HDMI option you are using for audio, how (or if) this would integrate with a Zhd/C1 controlled system, and whether it would solve the lipsync issues with DD/DTS? That sounds like it could be a better option if it could work with the components I have.

Thanks!!
      Perry

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Perry, yeah, I need to finally make a dedicated thread about what I'm doing for HDMI decoding. Give me a few days to get my rack in order.

As far as software and lipsync, what software version are you running now? (see the dedicated sticky thread at the top of the club about software and how to find your version)
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• prymel
          • Jan 2008

Chris - I found I was running version 6.86. which has the lipsync adjustment features. I successfully made the adjustments to get the picture and audio back in line. So that problem seems to be resolved, thanks!

Unfortunately, after completing these adjustments, the "ticking" sound that I reported in a previous thread started up again. I just got my C1 back from warranty repair, and the ticking problem was sort of corrected (would tick three or four times upon start, then would stop), but now it's full-time ticking again. I unplugged all the connections, powered off and on, and it's ticking away. One interesting thing I found was that the ticking stops when I hit the MUTE button (but not when I turn down volume to zero). At any rate, this is getting frustrating!

Does anyone know how Parasound deals with warranty issues that aren't resolved after the first try? It looks like I'll need to contact them again, but I really don't want to pay the shipping $$ to send it back AGAIN when they didn't fix it correctly the first time. I would like them to either help me fix it over the phone, or send me a replacement, but I don't know what to expect, and would be interested to hear peoples' experience.

Perry

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Honestly, I haven't heard of anybody else with a ticking thing, or something that hasn't been fixed the first time around. If I were you, I'd call them up and tell them just what you said, and if they don't have anything to suggest for quick fixes, that you're concerned about paying another round of shipping. I would guess you'll get a good response.

(and it's good to hear that Club info here has helped out another member!)
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• hifismylf
              • Mar 2008

Hi
              I had a similar problem on my C2 (in the end there were clicking sounds all the time). I contacted Parasound and they sent me a new power harnest (a tiny little cable) so that I could replace my old one. When I opened up my C2 I noticed that the old power harnest was a little bit to short and did not fully conect in its socket. After I replaced it the problem was gone.
              hope this could be off any help

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by prymel
                Unfortunately, after completing these adjustments, the "ticking" sound that I reported in a previous thread started up again.
                Yep. The ticking sound indicates a problem with the switching power supply. It could be as easy as simply reseating the connectors (or replacing the cable harness for a more permanent fix). In the worst case, a new power supply PCB might be needed.

Peter

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Hey, hifismylf, welcome to the Guide and Club Parasound! :banana:
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• hifismylf
                    • Mar 2008

Thanx for the banana Chris :-)
                    Does any one know a god online store/market place were I can buy used parasound in the US (besides audiogon, videogon and ebay were I allredy posted a wanted post)? I am looking for A23 or 2125 (five sets) to bi-amp or bridge to mono. I live in Sweden so shiping outside US is a must.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"