A Comparative Review: Natalie P. Versus Zaph Seas L15RLYP / 27TFFC (with Pics)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dCraig
    • Jun 2006

A Comparative Review: Natalie P. Versus Zaph Seas L15RLYP / 27TFFC (with Pics)

I thought this might be of interest to some of you. Hopefully, at least Zaph (Krutke) and Jon Marsh may find reason to comment on my results or to add suggestions for others building these projects.

Pictures of the finished products are below. The build Threads can be found at:
    Natalie P: https://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21373
    Zaph Seas L15: https://www.htguide.com/forum/showth...ght=check+zaph

I hope this is useful. Enjoy.

The Goal: To create two sets of Floor-standing speakers with different, but close, WAF ratings and to examine the sound qualities to get a feel for what the creators intended for the crossovers. Both speakers can be built in smaller or larger versions.

The Speakers and Criteria: Jon Marsh’s gift to us all, the Natalie P, Versus Kohn Krutke’s venerable, but seemingly little-known, Seas L15RLYP / 27TFFC (Project 12, from now on referred to as the L15). Both speakers have been built by me as ported floor-standing versions to maximize opportunity for bass extension and to eliminate the stand that my three year old would just love to push over.

In addition, they had to be:
    - tasteful to the eye,
    - look good with grille covers (I used grey grill covers on the light wood of the L15 and thing it looks pretty sophisticated with the grilles on – a bonus),
    - stand no higher than 48 inches for spouse approval,
    - stand two feet or closer to the wall,
    - be reasonably inexpensive since they were both experiments.

Cost of the finished Natalie Ps topped out at about 503 dollars (including cabinets that I built) while the Zaph L15 came in at less than 450, everything included.

John Krutke’s comment on the L15 design when I built them was – “That L15 project is ancient by DIY standards but it has withstood the test of time. Most importantly, the L15's breakup node has not budged over the years, a tribute to Seas consistency.”

The Room: The room is a 30 foot by 15 foot rec room with 8 foot ceilings at the back, an open stairway in the back left corner, and a vaulted ceiling in the front. The ceiling vaults up to 12 feet and the vault runs perpendicular to the length of the room. So, the area that houses the speakers and equipment is in the high ceiling part while the area behind my seating has 8 foot ceilings. There is no specific sound treatment in the room yet but the floor is carpeted. Also, there is a DW drum set in the back of the room next to the stairs. All of this will sound different once I have treated the room for sound but for now it is quiet and does not echo too much.

The wife (Co evaluator): My wife was the critical listener. She has a good ear for sound and was a classical guitarist taught by Segovia for a short while, and was also a former Oboe player so she knows what she is hearing. She hears things I can’t hear as well and submitted to listening through a number of songs. She has been pleased with the look of the speakers and likes the L15 look the best.

The Sound System: I was using my vintage Sansui G9000 receiver for an amp (160 watts per channel into 8 ohms). This monster sounds good and I have found little today at less than 3 grand to touch it. I also tried these on a high current NAD HT pre and power setup. I would love suggestions of other amps to try. The pre amp is a custom made tube amp made by a local guy. It has the sweetest phono stage I have heard so far. The music was played on a Sonos wireless music system piped directly into the pre. I also used my VPI Scout turntable and some 200 gram LPs that are quieter than any CD I ever heard. LP music was much richer and had more bloom to it by far. I did not use the Pioner RT-909 Reel to Reel deck this time but I will later. No CD player used here either. The DAC is in the Sonos. So, I had digital representations and pure analog representations. Had both tube and solid state equipment in combination.

The Music: In this test I had my wife listen to Steely Dan (Home at Last, Deacon Blues, Aja), then we switched to some Dire Straits (Brothers in Arms, Your latest Trick, On Every Street). From there we moved into a little Diana Krall (All or nothing at all), some Three Blind Mice (Midnight Sugar), a little Cristina Agulera (The Right Man, Hurt), Matt Bianco (Say the Word), and lastly, I listened to some Aaron Nevile after she was done. I did some listening at very low levels and again at loud volumes to see if there was a difference.

The Comparative Review

The Experience: This was an easy thing to rate. The experience with both sets of speakers was very nice. Neither is fatiguing and they are both open sounding and clear. Theysound better than any others that we have within the range of what they are supposed to to (i.e. they are not Bass hogs). They were compared to Spendor S5es (the sweet Spendors sound somewhat muddy or boxed in by comparison), Vandersteen 2Cs (the Vandersteens do nothing wrong but do not leap out at you screaming – RIGHT – as often), PSB Stratus Golds (These things just keep pumping out bass, thump, and volume but instruments (especially horns) were not as natural as either the Nat P or the L15 to us), and Definitive Model BP-8 (not particularly detailed or clear). I did those comparisons over a few weeks so it is hard to qualify the differences any more without using vague phrases.

Comparing the Nat P to the L15 directly we found:
    - The Nat Ps are either a lot more efficient or the dual midwoofers put out more SPL at the same power output than the Seas because they were significantly louder without changing the volume. Neither cabinet set is poly-filled (just foam insulated on three walls). That seemed odd to me given that the Nat P has more crossover components. Then again, the L15 separates the crossover onto two boards (high pass and low pass).
    - The L15s had a more natural sound to the instruments and voices to us. I had come to this conclusion before my wife heard them and she said the same thing. Well, specifically, she said the L15s sounded “prettier”. I knew exactly what she meant. The L15s made me feel more comfortable while listening. The background of the music seemed quieter and the experience was significantly more intimate as if the performers were performing for me only in a small lounge setting.
    - The Nat P, by contrast, felt great to listen to but was more edgy (meaning highs were crisper and backgrounds on the Nat P were more evident and noticeable). This made us feel as if the Nats were going to become more fatiguing to listen to but that never happened. Never has since I built them. But still, there was the sense that when we switched over from the Nats to the L15s something in the music went away but the performance got more intimate. This was extremely pleasing to my wife. I likes it too but wanted the more crisp sound of the Nats.
    - The Nats were extremely clear and open. While both speakers are what I would call open, the Nats were a clear winner here. They were more “airy” in the highs and cymbals and voices were much more clear and noticeable than the L15. Perhaps this was the difference in background silence that I mentioned. Since the Nats were giving me the full effect of instruments as they echoed perhaps? Because of this, however, a female singer belting out the notes (like Cristina Aguilera does on “The Right Man” can begin to make you feel like it will become an irritating sound but it never does. You know how when you anticipate something happening, even when it does not happen it feels like it had an effect on you. That is what it was like. The Nats never hurt my ears but they made me feel as if the should given the crispness of the sound on a song as thin sounding as that recording was.
    - The Nat Ps have a distinctly larger sound stage than the L15s, which I guess was to be expected with the MTM configuration over the offset TM config of the L15. But, not only that, the Nat Ps seem to make the sound seem like it is being produced in a larger room as well, not just on a wider or deeper stage. The music was more enveloping even at the same SPL level. While the L15s sounded intimate like in a small lounge, the Nats sounded full and enveloping, like in a small concert hall.
    - In Bass response, neither speaker knocks the walls down but each is sufficient. The Nats clearly provide more low-end thump due to the larger cabinets and the dual midwoofers. I am very pleased with the amount of bass from the Nats but will need to use a sub with the L15s on some songs.
    - Male vocals. Mark Knopfler has a smooth vocal sound that I like and he sounded fabulous on both speakers. The mids are smooth and rewarding on both speakers.
    - Neither speaker seems to be able to produce the kind of full range sound and dynamics necessary for convincing Orchestral or symphonic music but I did not expect them to. The sound great on this music but the “feeling” of the orchestral experience is not there.
    - At low levels both speakers sounded great. The L15s sometimes seemed like they may have had a little distoion in the woofers at very low volumes but I could not decide on whether I was imagining it or whether it was really there. My wife had gone down stairs by this time.
    - At high SPLs the Nat Ps begin to pull away. They remain open and clear while the L15s start to sound, I guess the word would be – Forced. The vocals begin to get an overpowering presence to them that seems to outshine the instruments. This only happens when I get to uncomfortable listening volumes on the L15s. The Nat Ps seem to have much less variation in the sound at higher volumes than the L15s.

The Conclusion:
    On the negative side, the L15’s smaller sound stage bugs me. The Nat’s sometimes feel like they will get too airy and that bugs me (although it is mostly in my head). We loved both speakers but the Nat Ps were our choice for the better overall sound quality. We felt like it was more “audiophile” in its presentation (whatever the heck that means). They just seemed like the Lexus as opposed to the Toyota (celicas are pretty hot even though g35s seem like they should be better).

However, my wife said she would rather have the L15s. I could not disagree sine the L15s just had that magical “something” that it is hard to define. I could not part with the Nats until I upgrade them to the Modula MTM crossovers because I just love those speakers but the L15s make me want another music room. The Nats give me that “magical” feeling on some songs but not as many as the L15. But the Nats just feel “right” to me since they are more of the type of sound I normally prefer. I was surprised that we were so please with both as I expected the L15s were just a lower end experiment. Wow, if this is the low end, John Krutke, what do you suggest I build from your project list at the high end? And Jon Marsh, it the Modula MTM crossover improves on the Nat P, I may have to knock my self over the head to turn the damned things off! Let’s not be unclear here. The Nat Ps seem like a superior speaker in overall impression. The L15s have a more narrow scope of impact but sound just magical. This is a little bit of an apples to oranges comparison but fruit salad agrees with me.

Thanks to you both, John and Jon. I am amazed at your capabilities and please that you allow me to partake in your largesse.

The Pictures:
    I am not great with a camera but I hope these will inspire some of you to build these great designs. Yes, those are Totem claws on the L15s. I had bought some a while back and finally got to use them. As you might guess, I like that look. I am building more, so key an eye out.

Images not available
    Last edited by theSven; 30 June 2023, 14:13 Friday. Reason: Remove broken image links and update htguidr url
  • TacoD
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2004

[qoute]On the negative side, the L15’s smaller sound stage bugs me. [/qoute]

The ultra low and steep x-over for the Nat is the key to this. You have less overlap, and the woofer is attenuated well before it begins the beam. Also the lower distortion (2-woofers, used in their pistonic range) ensures the soundstage is less cluttered.

I think the Zaph speaker is not bad but it's not a fair comparison. Also the sound of the zaph being fuller is due to the fact that the woofer is also doing some part of the higher mid and the tweeter has less work to do. In my experience this leads to a smoother sound.

The tweeter in the Nat has to work very hard, also you can soften the sound a bit by replacing it by a soft dome. But it will be very expensive to find a dome which comes close to the Dayton.

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

Great review! I think Jon and John can probably point out exactly why you heard what you heard. I think I know some of the answers, but I'll leave it up to the experts.

Often people are looking for a comparison to commercial speakers. I see you did a little of that. Its hard to do without starting a war, I know. But I see that you did do some comparisons, could you give us prices of those speakers and maybe just a ranking.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Craftsmanship is excellent. VERY nice work - it's good to see people doing this kind of work.

FWIW, the NatP IS much more sensitive with two drivers in parallel vs one.

Some of the differences in open-ness I suspect *might* be the result of padding the tweeter down - in specific, I have found something "goes away" when I need to add a parallel resistor to a tweeter.

That said, I've heard both designs (though not at the same time - a year apart) and this is still an exceedingly nit-picky consideration. Both are superb.

Enjoy!
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Mazeroth
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by dCraig

The Speakers and Criteria: Jon Marsh’s gift to us all, the Natalie P
          I must give credit where credit is due. Evil Twin designed the Natalie P. Jon designed the Modula. :B

On the other hand, GREAT review! I'm sure this will help many people. The size difference is incredible!

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

It would probably be more "fair" to compare the Modula MT to John's L15RLYP design- even then, there's a slight advantage I'd expect due to the larger midwoofer- at least in the bass and comfort at moderate SPL's.

The smaller midwoofer should have a cleaner upper midrange, and can be run higher, as others note, taking workload off the tweeter.

As originally designed, the NatlieP should be loosely stuffed with dacron or Acousta Stuff, in additional to Whispermat on the enclosure walls.

You'll also find that variations in caps and components may have some impact on the sonic perceptions, but there's unquestionably a "signature" to MTMs, even with a low enough crossover point, that's sometimes a "love it or leave it" kind of thing. MTM's require a low crossover point due to CTC considerations; you can go higher, but then the power response smoothness suffers even more. The only way around that compromise that I know of is moving up to a three way with a lower crossover point to the midwoofers. More complex, more expensive. The NatP was first and foremost an experiment in bang for the buck, with a lot of work on driver integration, that paid off for most folks.

As originally designed, it's rather flat, which can be a little crisp for some folks in some rooms. Also, having the tweeter so close to midwoofers with phase plugs means there's some diffraction from the midwoofers (unavoidable given the basic design).

Both designs fare well compared with commercial speakers under $1,000, and if you plan to use a subwoofer, then you have more flexibility about optimizing the primary speaker.

I'm presuming you built your NatalieP with the larger internal volume for floor stander (50-55 liters), rather than the PE box volume, as with the right tuning that does deepen and extend the low end power.

Very nice construction work, by the way.... :T
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dCraig
              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by ---k---
              Great review! I think Jon and John can probably point out exactly why you heard what you heard. I think I know some of the answers, but I'll leave it up to the experts.

Often people are looking for a comparison to commercial speakers. I see you did a little of that. Its hard to do without starting a war, I know. But I see that you did do some comparisons, could you give us prices of those speakers and maybe just a ranking.
              The other speakers were , in my preference order after the Nat Ps and L1s:

1 - Spendor S5e: Retail 2250, I got mine used for 1200. Smooth, velvety mids but sometimes seems boxed in.
              2 - PSB Stratus Gold. Retail about 3000, I think. I got mie used for 1100 5 years back. Sound superb and add the bass thump and high SPLs that none of the other speakers have. They are not a realistic sounding for instruments to me but theyreproduce Orchestra best of the lot due to impact and punch.
              These are my HT mains until I build some "Statements" or some MTMWWs or something.
              3 - Vandersteen 2C: Retail unknown but mine sold for 599 used. Superb speaker. Does nothing bad but not as detailed (crispness) as I like although they are open with a nice soundstage and good presence. Feels like youare there. Big speaks, though. I replaced the Oak end caps with mahagony and they look sweet. Got to let em go, though.
              4 - Difinitive BP-8: Retail I think around 1400 ut not sure. I have had them a while and they cost me 600 used back in 99. Nice full sound due to forward and rear firing drivers. Built in subwoofer. They sound good but not in the class of the others. They look great, and dissappear in a room so we have liked them ok but don't use them to show off music.

All are great speakers especially when bought new. But I can spen the same or less and get speakers that raise the bar quite sigificantly. Sitting thes others net to the Nat Ps shows a lot about what DIY can give in terms of added value. The DIYs are preferable in all cases except where the bass thump and SPL capailities of the PSBs come in play.

Comment

• dCraig
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                It would probably be more "fair" to compare the Modula MT to John's L15RLYP design- even then, there's a slight advantage I'd expect due to the larger midwoofer- at least in the bass and comfort at moderate SPL's.

The smaller midwoofer should have a cleaner upper midrange, and can be run higher, as others note, taking workload off the tweeter.

As originally designed, the NatlieP should be loosely stuffed with dacron or Acousta Stuff, in additional to Whispermat on the enclosure walls.

You'll also find that variations in caps and components may have some impact on the sonic perceptions, but there's unquestionably a "signature" to MTMs, even with a low enough crossover point, that's sometimes a "love it or leave it" kind of thing. MTM's require a low crossover point due to CTC considerations; you can go higher, but then the power response smoothness suffers even more. The only way around that compromise that I know of is moving up to a three way with a lower crossover point to the midwoofers. More complex, more expensive. The NatP was first and foremost an experiment in bang for the buck, with a lot of work on driver integration, that paid off for most folks.

As originally designed, it's rather flat, which can be a little crisp for some folks in some rooms. Also, having the tweeter so close to midwoofers with phase plugs means there's some diffraction from the midwoofers (unavoidable given the basic design).

Both designs fare well compared with commercial speakers under $1,000, and if you plan to use a subwoofer, then you have more flexibility about optimizing the primary speaker.

I'm presuming you built your NatalieP with the larger internal volume for floor stander (50-55 liters), rather than the PE box volume, as with the right tuning that does deepen and extend the low end power.

Very nice construction work, by the way.... :T
                Thanks Jon. I love the Speakers. I did build the Natalie with the larger internal volume and a dow firing 3" port. I did not use Acousta stuff but will go bac in and try some light stuffing to hear the difference.

Qestion: I used the PE 2" foam to line the sides, back, and the lower chamber. Would you recomend that I switch to Whispermat when I do the Modula MTM version? I plan on building new cabinets forthat so I can sit them side by side. Does the Whispermat make a notable difference?

Comment

• dCraig
                  • Jun 2006

Thanks CJD and Taco. These things take a lot of work to keep without flaws and I have not reached that point yet but they look pretty fgood up close. I want to ry some curved designs soon.

Comment

• dCraig
                    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Mazeroth
                    I must give credit where credit is due. Evil Twin designed the Natalie P. Jon designed the Modula. :B

On the other hand, GREAT review! I'm sure this will help many people. The size difference is incredible!
                    Dang! Now I'm gonna get fileted with a light saber!

The sizes were as a result of two things. The Natalie Ps were built to maximize bass extension without getting too big. The L15s were intended to be about the same size as Ttem Forrests. My wife says he tweeters in the Nat Ps are better place with regard to our listening position so the L15s suffered a little from being too short.

Comment

• wkhanna
                      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Interesting review. Thanks for taking the time and effort!
                      I too, have Nat P’s, 67 litre bottom ported.
                      I would love to try the Modula xo, but will building some Statements, so will keep the Nat’s as is.

Truthfully, I found your pre and the VPI to be fascinating! Wonderful looking, and I am sure, sounding system!
                      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

Thanks Jon. I love the Speakers. I did build the Natalie with the larger internal volume and a dow firing 3" port. I did not use Acousta stuff but will go bac in and try some light stuffing to hear the difference.

Qestion: I used the PE 2" foam to line the sides, back, and the lower chamber. Would you recomend that I switch to Whispermat when I do the Modula MTM version? I plan on building new cabinets forthat so I can sit them side by side. Does the Whispermat make a notable difference?

I substantially prefer the Whispermat. Even John Krutke finds it comparable to Blackhole 5, but at much lower cost. It's a little bit of a pain to source, I bought enough at the time to handle a number of projects, including my Modula MTMs, NatP, M8ta, and now the Modula NeoD CC. I've got enough to do the M12ta in development, too. Like Zaph, I use the WM1 and WM2. We don't agree about everything, but this we do. :W
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Obi-Wan
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dCraig
                          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by wkhanna
                          Truthfully, I found your pre and the VPI to be fascinating! Wonderful looking, and I am sure, sounding system!
                          There are a couple of close up shots of the pre in the Natalie P build thread in page two. It is a nice pre and I did the ork on the case for it. Lacewood does not show up as well in the pictures but it is nice in person.

The statementgs look like a great build but I keep worrying about having to sit them 2 feet from the wall in my theater. The stage is only 3 feet deep and so I wonder if the wall reflections will relaly degrade the performance of Statements if they are too close. I really want the dynamism and power of something like that.

Comment

• dCraig
                            • Jun 2006

I just ran up an put in some Acoustistuff in the Natalies and it definitely padded down the sound so they seem more intimate. Is this just my imagination? I have to do more critical listening with the stuffing but it seems to make a difference. It also seems to have reduced the SPL levels a little.

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

I just ran up an put in some Acoustistuff in the Natalies and it definitely padded down the sound so they seem more intimate. Is this just my imagination? I have to do more critical listening with the stuffing but it seems to make a difference. It also seems to have reduced the SPL levels a little.
                              Most of Jon's designs start with something lining the walls and end up fine tuned with the addition of a wad of some fiberous material, long fiber wool, Acousta-Stuff or similar behind the woofer/woofers.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                Mad Max Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

Pretty much what I would expect.....
                                :T
                                the AudioWorx
                                Natalie P
                                M8ta
                                Modula Neo DCC
                                Modula MT XE
                                Modula Xtreme
                                Isiris
                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                Minerva Monitor
                                Calliope
                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                Obi-Wan
                                Modula PWB
                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                Natalie P Ultra
                                Natalie P Supreme
                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• wkhanna
                                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

There are a couple of close up shots of the pre in the Natalie P build thread in page two. It is a nice pre and I did the ork on the case for it. Lacewood does not show up as well in the pictures but it is nice in person.
                                  V nice, indeed. May I ask, what type of tubes you are using?
                                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• ---k---
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2005

If you like the NatP's, and want something bigger consider my & CJD's Khanspire or CJD's RS-3way. They are both 3-ways using similar drivers and design, and will sound similar to the Nat's. The statements with the ribbon tweet and open back mids are very differnt. I'm looking forward to hearing them.
                                    - Ryan

Comment

• dCraig
                                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                      V nice, indeed. May I ask, what type of tubes you are using?
                                      EL 34s. I can't remember whether they are Westinghouse, Svetlana or Electrolux since I had a few of each around the last time I changed them.

Comment

• dCraig
                                        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by ---k---
                                        If you like the NatP's, and want something bigger consider my & CJD's Khanspire or CJD's RS-3way. They are both 3-ways using similar drivers and design, and will sound similar to the Nat's. The statements with the ribbon tweet and open back mids are very differnt. I'm looking forward to hearing them.
                                        How far from the rear wall must the Khanspires be placed? I like the design as I do the Statements but I wanted to wait to hear some impressions of both. If the Khanspires can be placed within 6 ninches of the wall, they might have an edge.

Comment

• ---k---
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Nov 2005

I plan to put mine w/ about 6-10" behind them. I'll know better over the coming month. They are very differnt (but similar) speakers than the Statements.
                                          - Ryan

Comment

• jkrutke
                                            • Dec 2005

I thought this might be of interest to some of you. Hopefully, at least Zaph (Krutke) and Jon Marsh may find reason to comment on my results or to add suggestions for others building these projects.
                                            Those are beautiful. Nice review. The L15 design is just over 4 years old now. The L15 was fairly new, (2002 I think) and the PE enclosures just came out. I think it was 2003 when I brought them along to a DIY meeting in Milwaukee. I played the Silver Flute system first and everyone liked it, then I hooked up the L15 system next and everyone thought they were even better. It seemed like even a few years ago, a lot more people were afraid of doing metal cone designs. You can tell by the lack of blue plots on that project's page that I did it prior to using Soundeasy. My distortion testing consisted of playing tones and watching the spectrum on an RTA. Things have come a long way since then.

Aside from the obvious difference in radiating area, I think a lot of what you are hearing is the difference in each design's power response and how it interacts with the room.

Anyway, nice writeup. It's a little more subjective than I would normally get into, but still makes for interesting reading. I'm a guy that would be more likely to break "magic" down into it's individual components. ps. I like that monster Sansui. I keep wanting to get my hands on one of those big old receivers to play with, but I see on ebay that they still have quite a bit of value.

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                            I substantially prefer the Whispermat. Even John Krutke finds it comparable to Blackhole 5, but at much lower cost. It's a little bit of a pain to source, I bought enough at the time to handle a number of projects, including my Modula MTMs, NatP, M8ta, and now the Modula NeoD CC. I've got enough to do the M12ta in development, too. Like Zaph, I use the WM1 and WM2. We don't agree about everything, but this we do. :W
                                            A couple months back, I picked up a 2 year supply of whispermat. It was about 300 lbs worth of the stuff. I can say I like it enough to not be afraid of that kind of investment.

I don't think we disagree on too much, or I wouldn't be hanging out here all the time. :B
                                            Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Jed
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by jkrutke

I don't think we disagree on too much, or I wouldn't be hanging out here all the time. :B
                                              You and ET should combine forces, now that would be a "force" to be reckoned with. 8O

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Jun 2006

I sometimes wonder whether the Dayton RS aluminum drivers are too... "fatiguing" for my taste Who knows. Does everyone else feels this way?
                                                Javier Huerta

Comment

• joecarrow
                                                  • Apr 2005

That actually gives me an idea- although first I've got to say that I definitely enjoy my RS180s.

Say there are two drivers with the same level of third order harmonic distortion at 1 khz, but one of them rings like a bell at 3 khz. In order for the measured distortion level to be the same, it seems that motor distortion in the ringing driver would have to be less since it will be amplified by the ringing cone. Would it be fair to say that with a 1 khz beep, the 3 khz distortion product would be at a lower level for the ringing cone, but would continue to sound longer than the non-ringing cone?

I think that this could produce an audible effect that could potentially make a driver with "better" distortion sound worse.
                                                  -Joe Carrow

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Aug 2002

Would it be fair to say that with a 1 khz beep, the 3 khz distortion product would be at a lower level for the ringing cone, but would continue to sound longer than the non-ringing cone?
                                                    I don't think so. The ringing cone will show up as a 3kHz spike in the SPL curve before the XO is applied. It will also show up as a spike at 1kHz in a 3rd harmonic sweep. So, you can easily see it in the measurements but how audible it is is still in question.

Comment

• joecarrow
                                                      • Apr 2005

I guess what I'm driving at is the audibility of the linear distortion of nonlinear distortion products. :B
                                                      -Joe Carrow

Comment

• Spanky Ham
                                                        • Jul 2006

dCraig,
                                                        Where are you located? I wouldn't mind dropping by for a listen, if you are amenable.

Chasw and I did a comparison of my Stratus Golds and his TMWWs last year. I started a thread about it. You may find it of interest for a frame of reference.

If you are willing to spend some more money, then you might look at Jon's new three way with the RS52. Another option which looks interesting might be something with the Aircirc 6600. I haven't heard anything negative outside the change in production location. I think Zaph did a design with it, but he hasn't posted it. I think Dennis Murphy may be doing a design with it as well.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                          • Aug 2000

A couple months back, I picked up a 2 year supply of whispermat. It was about 300 lbs worth of the stuff. I can say I like it enough to not be afraid of that kind of investment.

And I thought "I" was getting carried away with my original Whispermat order!!?

But it was small enough that I could ship UPS.... in two cartons.

Glad to have you dropping in when you can, John. I agree we agree on a lot, but I'd never put words in your mouth- that's your business! :B :W
                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                          Natalie P
                                                          M8ta
                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                          Isiris
                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                          Calliope
                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                          Modula PWB
                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Nathan P
                                                            • Mar 2006

Glad to see someone else owns PSBs, I was beginning to think we were the only ones. We have the Image 2B bookshelves and they are very clean detailed speakers in my opinion.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by joecarrow
                                                              That actually gives me an idea- although first I've got to say that I definitely enjoy my RS180s.

Say there are two drivers with the same level of third order harmonic distortion at 1 khz, but one of them rings like a bell at 3 khz. In order for the measured distortion level to be the same, it seems that motor distortion in the ringing driver would have to be less since it will be amplified by the ringing cone. Would it be fair to say that with a 1 khz beep, the 3 khz distortion product would be at a lower level for the ringing cone, but would continue to sound longer than the non-ringing cone?

I think that this could produce an audible effect that could potentially make a driver with "better" distortion sound worse.

If the distortion measurement uses RMS averaging, it will take that into account. But you're right, this is a problem, in that it will and does amplify distortion components, considerably in some cases. The Q of the breakup and it's frequency distribution is quite important. Even some drivers that look well behaved in frequency response (Accuton comes to mind) show this effect, and for that reason I limit the bandwidth I use them in.
                                                              the AudioWorx
                                                              Natalie P
                                                              M8ta
                                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                                              Modula MT XE
                                                              Modula Xtreme
                                                              Isiris
                                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                              Minerva Monitor
                                                              Calliope
                                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                                              Obi-Wan
                                                              Modula PWB
                                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonP
                                                                • Apr 2006

Dang! Now I'm gonna get fileted with a light saber!

The sizes were as a result of two things. The Natalie Ps were built to maximize bass extension without getting too big. The L15s were intended to be about the same size as Ttem Forrests. My wife says he tweeters in the Nat Ps are better place with regard to our listening position so the L15s suffered a little from being too short.
                                                                Interesting coincidence, in that not 30 minutes ago, my wife's son just settled on a floorstanding Nat P as his first speaker build!

Great review, and a lot of envy on my end for your woodworking!

You could always put the L15's up on something, to get those tweeters at ear level, or at least even with the Natalies.... That would take out that difference between the two.

I was going to suggest, but I see you did try the stuffing... the benefits would be to soak up a little more backwave from the woofer, as well as damping down a possible top to bottom resonance in the long rectangular box. And, yes, there would be a bit of cost in slightly lower volume in the lower end. Sounds like it helped overall... interested to see if the height makes a difference in a rematch...

BTW... You could always buy a lower couch, for your second listening room... :B

Comment

• dCraig
                                                                  • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Spanky Ham
                                                                  dCraig,
                                                                  Where are you located? I wouldn't mind dropping by for a listen, if you are amenable.
                                                                  Spanky, I'm up for a meet. I'm in Roswell, Georgia just north of Atlanta. I will be going to hawaii this week but back on Friday for a week before Africa but I would love to have some other ears check these things out either in between trips or in september after I get back. Let me know when sounds good or PM me and we can chat.

Originally posted by Spanky Ham
                                                                  If you are willing to spend some more money, then you might look at Jon's new three way with the RS52.
                                                                  Definitely looking at the new three way. Waiting for it to settle down a bit before starting on a floor standing cabinet design.

Comment

• dCraig
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jun 2006

Those are beautiful. Nice review....
                                                                    ...Aside from the obvious difference in radiating area, I think a lot of what you are hearing is the difference in each design's power response and how it interacts with the room.
                                                                    Thanks, JK. Going to treat the room and listen again.
                                                                    Anyway, nice writeup. It's a little more subjective than I would normally get into, but still makes for interesting reading. I'm a guy that would be more likely to break "magic" down into it's individual components.
                                                                    I am left with subjective right now since my speaker measuring setup got preempted by an expensive door and window replacement in the house. When I say magic I usually mean that I find myself smiling at the music without realizing that I had started smiling. It means that I got carried from the analytical to the enjoyment while trying to be analytical. Definitely subjective.
                                                                    ps. I like that monster Sansui. I keep wanting to get my hands on one of those big old receivers to play with, but I see on ebay that they still have quite a bit of value.
                                                                    Mine is in perfect shape and works like a dream, but you better act fast. They are being killed off by the horrible shipping accidents UPS and FEDEX are known for, so e-bay is hastening their demise. By the way, if you love monster receivers try this (non-commercial I believe) site for fun: http://www.electricalhobby.com/monsterreceiversite/

Question for you. Which of your designs would have been a more apples to apples comparrison to the Nat P or Modula MTM? I might take the plunge again.

Comment

• dCraig
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by JonP
                                                                      Great review, and a lot of envy on my end for your woodworking!

You could always put the L15's up on something, to get those tweeters at ear level, or at least even with the Natalies.... That would take out that difference between the two.
                                                                      Thanks. I am actually playing with the thought of a base to set the L15s on. It would be walnut and sit about 6 inches. Might be a good fit.

The lower couch may become the floor since my wife does not like my overstuffed man-chair.

Comment

• dCraig
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Nathan P
                                                                        Glad to see someone else owns PSBs, I was beginning to think we were the only ones. We have the Image 2B bookshelves and they are very clean detailed speakers in my opinion.
                                                                        The stratus Golds have been amazing in my theater. The ironic thing is that I will eventually sell the PSBs, the Spendors, the Vandersteens, and the definitives because they will fetch decent prices while the DIY stuff will not. I can't justify keeping both my DIY efforts and the store-bought stuff and since the brand name speakers will sell, they will go. People really love brand names and I think they get more enjoyment from the brand name than they do from the sound, so they are willing to pay. Judging by some of the not so great brand name speakers I hear my friends talk about, that might just be true.

The good news is that I will get back enough cash to more than cover what I have spent on DIY speakers! :B

Comment

• JonP
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Apr 2006

Thanks. I am actually playing with the thought of a base to set the L15s on. It would be walnut and sit about 6 inches. Might be a good fit.

The lower couch may become the floor since my wife does not like my overstuffed man-chair.
                                                                          You could use a case of beer, or anything, for the temp tests... but getting the tweeter at just the right height, in a tasteful and more permanent way is worth the effort. It would be an opportunity to add some width, or outriggers, and make them less tippy, which is always a good thing.

Find a not too stuffed but low to the ground "Love Seat" (Barry White approved, of course) that you could occasionally leave the Man Chair for... :T

Comment

• dCraig
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jun 2006
                                                                            • 108

I will try a case of old AOL introductory CDs. Turns out, that was the only use for them other than making land-fills sparkle in the sunlight.

You might be surprised but the three foot design that Totem uses (and that I copied) is not very tippy at all. You would have to hit the speaker from a rear corner to knock it over, and the rear corners are the ones in the most inaccessible place. We have been very comfortable with the feet and the stability.

I wanted to try some outriggers, though on another project. Which do you recommend?

Comment

• Nathan P
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2006
                                                                              • 226

#39
                                                                              Ha, I think AOL is on the way out, too mcuh $$ just for dial up and an outdated interface... But yeah, 3 legged things are very stable mainly because of the exact reason you stated, they need to be hit from odd angles to fall over, but also an added benefit is you'll never have to adjust the feet to get rid of a wobble! Just make it look like it's standing straight and you're kosher! Glad to hear your project turned out so well, those are some beautiful boxes.

Comment

• dCraig
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jun 2006
                                                                                • 108

#40
                                                                                Thanks. the burl venerr was a bear to work with but it turned out nice. Ihave been thinking of doing some inlay work on a pair of poxes. anyone seen any inlay designs they think would look nice on speakers? Perhaps I will build some Sports logos into a pair to give away as a gift.

Comment

• dCraig
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jun 2006
                                                                                  • 108

#41
                                                                                  Blown Driver. I played a CD from a friend who is doing the final mixes on his work. We did not realize the volume on the Sansui was up and the first note was a major bass thump. It worked fine while we wer listening, but one of the RS180s began to buzz the next day but I could not see anything wrong visibly. anyone have an idea what blew or if it can be repaired? I replaced the driver with another one I had laying around and the speaker is back to normal but I wanted to get a sense of whether or not this happens easily with the Dayton mid-Woofers.

anyone else blown Dayton drivers at high volume?

Comment

• TacoD
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Feb 2004
                                                                                    • 1078

#42
                                                                                    Nope, but maybe your amp clipped?

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Aug 2000
                                                                                      • 10934

#43
                                                                                      Blown Driver.......but I wanted to get a sense of whether or not this happens easily with the Dayton mid-Woofers.

anyone else blown Dayton drivers at high volume?
                                                                                      On this forum you're the first to report the destruction of one....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• WillyD
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Feb 2006
                                                                                        • 675

#44
                                                                                        I've had my XR-55 up at around -5dB and accidentally switched to the AM/FM Tuner....it was unbelievably loud and I heard the RS180s in my Modula MTs bottom out (at least I am pretty positive they did) but they are perfectly fine.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                                          • 15282

#45
                                                                                          Have never had an RS180 fail. I don't push them super hard, either, and my box designs are soft of conservative, I guess you'd say. That limits excursion somewhat.

Bottoming ANY woofer will in all likelihood damage the voice coil mechanically, and may crack the epoxy glue bond from the VC former to the cone. This can be a particular problem with drivers that are more linear (lower distortion), because you don't get the aural clues that you're getting carried away (increasing audible distortion), until you've literally passed the threshold to destruction. This was a problem for a lot of folks with the Tumult, a very clean subwoofer driver that a lot of folks with inexpensive high power pro amps pushed them beyond common sense.
                                                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                                                          Natalie P
                                                                                          M8ta
                                                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                                                          Isiris
                                                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                                                          Calliope
                                                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                                                          Modula PWB
                                                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"