X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rick Craig
    • Jul 2006

Accuton C90-T6 test

I'm working with a C173N-T6-90 and if anyone is interested I'll share some thoughts. I don't want to overstep the rules here so Thomas can step in and moderate if needed.
  • FrancoB
    • Jan 2005

Share the wealth!

Comment

• chasw98
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

I would be interested to hear your thoughts Rick. Thanks.

Chuck

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

The only time there are problems associated with posting driver test results, is with small companies offering their own custom made drivers. Historically owners of some of these companies go postal when anything other than a glowing review or test data showing performance different than the mfgr's data is posted is posted.

Beyond that people are free to post whatever driver testing data they have...
        Last edited by ThomasW; 17 July 2007, 13:16 Tuesday.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Rick Craig
          • Jul 2006

Ok, the replies indicate a thumbs up

When I first purchased the driver I had a few different applications in mind (after my wallet said ouch!). Someone had asked me about implementing it in a dipole design. I had suspected that the parameters and suspension wouldn't be favorable for dipole use and that proved to be true. Maybe if you want a highpass frequency well up into the midrange but it wouldn't make too much sense to operate a high $ driver over such a limited bandwith.

In my application I'm using it as a mid (sealed subenclosure) for a center channel. The target was higher sensitivity with good bandwidth and it's performed well in this design. The lower end crossover point can range from 300-500hz and upper end 1.5K to 3K. There's a breakup about 4.5K that is easily suppressed but will dictate your crossover point and slope. The limited excursion also comes into play with the lower crossover point and slope.

Comment

• Jed
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Rick Craig
            There's a breakup about 4.5K that is easily suppressed but will dictate your crossover point and slope. The limited excursion also comes into play with the lower crossover point and slope.
            So where are the test pics? Distortion/FR/TS parameters/impedance etc? I had an opportunity to get these drivers from madisound not too long ago- but who knows when anyone will ever get them in stock again.

Comment

• Rick Craig
              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Jed
              So where are the test pics? Distortion/FR/TS parameters/impedance etc? I had an opportunity to get these drivers from madisound not too long ago- but who knows when anyone will ever get them in stock again.
              Sorry - no specific tests. I just thought I would give some general guidelines for anyone interested in this driver.

Comment

• haralanov
                • Jul 2007

Rick,
                could you post some detailed pics of the driver (back of the magnet system, damping rings, surround and ect...)
                I'm sure it'll be highly appreciated from all of us :T
                E=mc^2 +/-3dB

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

There's a reason we have archived threads..... :W

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                  Well, I'd better get this up at lunchtime today, because the way things are going I'm not going to have any time this week, maybe not next! Making a living is a real bear sometimes.

First plot is FR measured at 2.83V on a 24" by 24" baffle; note the dip at marketer 1 is a characteritic of this baffle and measurement method.

To get the "real" picture of the driver behavior, a near field measurement is done which essentially positions the mic co-planar with the front baffle.

Not too disimilar to the C88, and for the most part what I expected. This confirms my judgement going into this that 250 Hz to 2 kHz was probably the best case operating range for the C90. Note where the notch is at 5 kHz there is a bobble in the impedance curve (not shown).

Next to examine was FR + distortion at "nominal level"- which due to the high sensitivity of this driver, is more like 93 dB.

FR + HD2

FR + HD3

Very low 2nd harmonic. Might have been nice if 3rd had been a little lower, but it's still pretty good. How much will it get worse with increasing level?

OK, let's push it up to around 100 dB, which is not as much more drive as other more typical midranges I've tested require.

FR + HD2 100 dB

FR + HD3 100 dB

What about higher harmonics?

FR + HD4 100 dB

FR + HD5 100 dB

If I hadn't checked and re-checked the scale on the HD4, I wouldn't have believed it. :T HD5 is pretty good, though higher.

Well, I want a little more for my $460 each, so lets take it up to 105 dB.

FR + HD2 105 dB

FR + HD3 105 dB

FR + HD4 105 dB

Well, I'd certainly prefer it if the odd order stuff were a bit lower, but even at this level in the intended frequency range, the C90/T6 does deliver individual harmonic distortion spectra -50 dB or better, for the most part. Maybe I can live with that. :B

I'm certainly open to someone finding me something BETTER to test- and use- consider the doors thrown wide open. My main criteria is pistonic operation from 250 Hz to 2 kHz, and lower distortion. comparable sensivity would be a plus, but not mandatory.

Has anyone tested any of the AudioTechnology drivers, like the Flex Units or the C-Quenze 18 H 52? Or the ATD W18-4? ($595 at E-Speakers.COM)

Heck, I'll just go with these for now....

But I ought to look at the "lowly" Peerless 830883 at higher levels, too. It tests very well at 2.83 VRMS, 250 Hz to 2 kHz, 88-89 dB nominal. Wonder how it holds up at levels like the C90 will play at?

My opinion? It should be paired with a woofer than can run up to 300-400 Hz at least, without problems, and a tweeter crossover in the 2 kHz area, if crossed somewhat steep. Avalon uses it with the diamond equivalent to the C30N; if I was using it in the M12ta, I'd pair it with the C30N, but I'm using the C90 in my Isiris with a true waveguide/driver combo crossed at about 1800 Hz. My C30N's I intend to pair with my C89's.

~Jon
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Rick Craig
                    • Jul 2006

Thanks Jon - your experience pretty much mirrors mine.

Comment

• Rick Craig
                      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by haralanov
                      Rick,
                      could you post some detailed pics of the driver (back of the magnet system, damping rings, surround and ect...)
                      I'm sure it'll be highly appreciated from all of us :T
                      Jon's pictures say it all - my unit is exactly the same.

Comment

• haralanov
                        • Jul 2007

Last edited by haralanov; 19 December 2008, 06:54 Friday.
                        E=mc^2 +/-3dB

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"