X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crosis47
    • Jan 2003

Wanted: cd-player for my RSX-972

I recently bought a RSX-972 AV-receiver and I am very satisfied with its sound, especially in stereo. Now all I need is a matching cd-player! Which one fits best with my 972?

---------------------------------------
    He who has an ear, let him hear.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Honestly that's a difficult question to answer since there's so many good choices out there now. I would imagine the first question you have to ask yourself is if SACD is important to you? If it is then that will greatly reduce the number of options you have available...in which case I'd suggest one of the Sony ES CD changers that have SACD support. The 555ES is a very popular choice. If SACD isn't a concern then the doors wide open and you'll find there's a lot to pick from. One interesting choice that I'd love to try is a Ah tjobe (sp?) that's a modified Marantz player...you might find this one easier then us since its modified in the netherlands...Other then that there's players like the Rega Planets etc that often are recomended.

Comment

• fyonn
      • Nov 2002

I don't know which cd players would go well with your 972, but I have a rotel rcd-991ae whch I picked up second hand (in mint condition) for £400 and it sounds great, and it seems to go well with my rsp 1066

dave

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

The hard part of the really nice CD players is they're hard to audition. Unless you're in an area that has a lot of high end dealers, you're very limited in this regard. And, it's next to impossible to get them demonstrated with the other equipment you have, much less your particular room accoustics, etc. When I went out recently, I only got to hear the Sony 555ES and the Arcam 72T. I've since heard the Rega Planet 2000. All three are, imo, excellent players. I choose the Arcam because I liked its sound best, but beware, it does not have SACD if you're interested, but it is very dynamic and wonderfully musical.

Keith
        Keith

Comment

• Crosis47
          • Jan 2003

Thanx, I'm going to audition the 991 anyway (is there a big difference with the AE?), but I want to compare some Rotel players with other brands, such as Exposure and the german brand T+A...

Comment

• jaakan
            • Dec 2002

CD only players under $1000 look at REGA and at NAD for one around $300.

Pioneer DV 45a for a good play everything player, I have seen it at $500.

If your lucky a used (mint) Theta Miles a great CD player or a Theta transport and just use your Rotel's DACs

Comment

• wng
              • Dec 2002

I can vouch for Arcam's performance. I've listened to the CD72 and have a CD92. Like Danbry39 said, Arcams are musical and detailed. But there are many nice players out there from Rotel, Marantz, Linn, Rega, etc.

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

I love my Rega Jupiter, but they can be a bit pricey. I was fortunate to find a demo deal, so I got the Jupiter for a good price.

The Planet is a nice lesser priced option, about 800 new I think.

Lex
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Claude D D
                  • Jan 2003

The Sony 555es is tough to beat if you want a 5 disc changer,built like a tank(24lbs/11kg) and has SACD if that matters to you.It matches up nice sonicly to the Rotel gear.Plus they had a good price drop so you should be able to get one for a good deal.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"