X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brotherMaX
    • Dec 2002

1055 or 1066 - Please help?

Happy Holidays all,

I am new to the club and I am glad I came across it!!!
    I am upgrading my receiver from Nakamichi AV10 and I narrowed my choices to RSX 1055, HK AVR8000, and Pioneer Elite 47TX. The HK has its problems and the Elite is way expensive in comparison to the other two receivers. The Rotel is now the front runner :LOL:
    The question that I have is; if I go with the 1066, could I use my Nakamichi AV10 to drive it? Is that possible? The power amplifier on the AV10 is excellent rated at 100 W for 5 cha. and 125 W. Stereo.
    Or should I sell the AV10 and go with 1055 :?:
    Please help.....ThanX MaX
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

You certianly could use the amps in the nak if you wanted to go with the 1066 but in all honestly i'd sell the nak and buy the 1055 instead. When funds become available i'd then pick up a nice 2 channel amp to power at least the mains. The 1055 sounds exteremely similar to the 1066, its cheaper and is more flexible given the internal amps

Comment

• jaakan
      • Dec 2002

Pioneer Elite 47TX has problems in the amp stage ( all their Rev seem to have that too ) Mainly with speakers that really need current ie Ohm walsh's, Magnepans, etc. If you are willing to get a REV over $2,500 get the RSP-1066 + RMB-1075.

RSP-1066 + Nakamichi AV10 to drive the speakers.
      1. if the AV10 has inputs for 5.1
      2. the problem with this is you will have two inline pre-amp
      ie two volume controls. Just set the level on the AV10 once and use the RSP-1066 all the time.
      3. when your ready to get a power amp then sell the AV10

RSX-1055
      1. will save you money

See if you can demo all options, it's your money.

Comment

• wkiesling
        • Dec 2002

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your past comments concerning RSX-1065, 1055. I had considered the 1066 as well but seem to edging towards RSX-1055 now, given your comments on the unit. Also, given the relative closeness in sound to the 1066 it's obvious that the 1055 would be the better value of the too.

I hope to negotiate a price soon, hopefully this week. I was wondering if you could give me an idea on what would be a good price for the RSX-1055 and if you know as well for the 1066. I'd like to get the best price possible .

Thanks in advance.

W.K

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

The 1066 should be available for somewhere between $1750 to $1800 not including taxes and the 1055 should be about $200 cheaper then that...give or take a bit....of course this all depends on how much your dealer is willing to move but those prices seem to be inline with what others are getting with good dealers.

Comment

• brotherMaX
            • Dec 2002

Thank you all for your feedback..I think I am going to seriously consider the 1055. Andrew, do you have an idea what would be a goog price for the 1055 in US$?

Thanks again!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

$1200 - $1300 USD for the 1066 and about $200 less for the 1055 I believe.

Comment

• Rcovell
                • Dec 2002

Hi Guys-
                I've been referred to this site as a prospective purchaser of some Rotel gear. Specifically, I'm considering replacing a Pioneer Elite VSX 14 with a Rotel RSX 1055. My local dealer usually knocks about 10% off of retail. The 1055 lists for $1300, so it should come in at $1170 or so. If someone knows where to get it for less, please advise.

My HT system is located in a 12x16 room with lots of doors and windows to consider. I use B&W speakers mounted up on the walls and a matching SW. I use the Sony 40" tube for a display. The system sounds pretty good for it's modest capabilities. I want to upgrade for PLII and DVD-A/SACD inputs. Separates are out as I don't think any benefit/cost ratio will be in my favor. Any ideas or thoughts on the 1055/1065?
                brotherMax, have you gotten any further along in your decision?

TIA, Bob.

Comment

• brotherMaX
                  • Dec 2002

Bob,

I went to the only Rotel dealer in Denver "Listen Up" and the most I could get for a discount was 10%. That seems to be the policy with all the gear they carry (and they carry a lot of fancy ones!!).

Right now, I am 98% sure that I will be going for the RSX1055, RMB1075 combo. If the 1055 is that similar to the 1066 then I am saving myself a couple of hundreds and getting a tuner in the process. I wanted more power to drive my somewhat power hungry speakers NHT's.

I will also be saving some money on the trade-in of my Nak. The dealer gave me a reasonable tarde-in value which could save me the hassle of selling it on ebay.

I will definetly lat you know of my final decision.

Thank you all again.

MaX

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Sounds like a plan brother!

Bob ask your dealer about paying with cash and see if you can get him down to 15 percent off list....you usually do better with cash deals then with a credit card

Comment

• Rcovell
                      • Dec 2002

brotherMax
                      Are you proposing to use the front end of the 1055 and the power from the 1075? At $2300 list (US), why not consider the RSX-1065 for $2000? It has 100 wpc across 5 channels and some upgrades from the 1055. Saves you $300 and some space in your rack.
                      Bob

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

The 1065 is about to get a much needed facelift so I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy it over a 1055 paired with a power amp...besides no receivers power amps are ever better then receivers so if 2 channel music is important to you I'd say the 1055 paired with a seperate power amp would be my choice.

Comment

• brotherMaX
                          • Dec 2002

Andrew,
                          My 9 year old son will be happy to know that 1065 is getting a facelift. He thinks it looks like a heat radiator
                          Bob, I originally had my heart set on the 1066 but when I found out that the difference is minimal if any between 1055 and 1066 (pre/pro wise) I thought the 1075 and 1055 combination made more sense to me. I think I am ready to go seperate so this makes the best choice. I won't be using the 1055 internal amp anyhow.
                          Hope this helps!! could luck with your purchase.

MaX

Comment

• Rcovell
                            • Dec 2002

brotherMax-
                            It was a quiet day today, so I stopped by my electronics boutique to check out some questions on the RSX-1055 vs. the Denon and Elite I've been looking at. My sales guy knows my system and setting by now, so he was able to help me out. Decided to get the 1055 for my HT room, then, got the RX-1050 for my audio system (I know it's expensive this way, but, it sure beats moving!).

Got the 1050 installed OK and tried it out on some Roberta Flack tunes, sounds good so far. I replaced a Denon DRA 375 and the Rotel sounds like it has a more robust bottom end, is that possible? Can't wait to break it in.

The 1055 is waiting for the VCR hookups, I'm a little confused with my older Mits unit. Will have to find my thinking cap so I can figure it out.

BTW, I ended up asking for a cash deal and got both units for 14% off list. I'm pleased so far. Good luck on your search.

Bob

Comment

• brotherMaX
                              • Dec 2002

Hi all,

I did it! I bought the RSX 1055 and the RMB1075 combination and I am all smiles so far.
                              Just for comparison sake, I connected the main speakers to the 1055 internal amp and listened to Norah Jones CD in stereo. I thought that it was very impressive but not as warm and dynamics as my Nak AV10 receiver. Then I connected the 1075 to the 1055 and the main speakers to the 1075 and WOW :LOL: that was a different experience all together!! I did listen to the same CD and the sounds were more dynamic, open and beautifully warm.

As far as looks, these two look great together in the cabinet. I did get the silvers and I am glad I did.
                              I haven't had the chance to test it in 5.1 because I am still working on the surrounds wiring but can't wait.

The 1055 and 1075 are now in good company in my humble HT that includes the following:

AH! Toejb (Modified Marantz CD player)
                              Panasonic RP82 Progressive DVD player
                              Sony HDTV 61HS30
                              Dishnetwork HDTV 6000 Receiver.
                              NHT 2.5 i Mains
                              NHT Audio Center 1
                              NHT 1.5 Surrounds and
                              PSB Subsonic i Sub.

Thanks again for everybody on this club.

Max

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Way to go! I'd hardy say that's a humble HT though I'm jealous

Comment

• wng
                                  • Dec 2002

Congrats, brother!

I get shivers when I listen to that CD. Movies will rock once you hook up your 5.1, I am certain.

Comment

• Bill Melendez
                                    • Dec 2002

Greetings to all . I just joined the Rotel Club and this is my first post ever. I do 50/50 movies/music. Thanks to all for your postings.

Congratulations to brotherMax on his new acquisition. I have been looking at the 1066/1095 combo until I read this 1055/1075 combo posting. For me to parallel the 1055/1075 combo, I would have to get the 1066/1075/1080/RB1070 combo at a much, much higher price.

I have read that the 1055 sounds similar to the 1066 and that the 1055 came after the 1066. Is it that Rotel used the processor in the 1066 to make the 1055, added amps and tuner and priced it lower to attrack the masses? Or is there something in the 1066 worth the incremental price?

Thanks and happy new year to all,

Bill

Comment

• mml7
                                      • Jun 2002

I hate to be the lone dissenter here (but it helps keep everything interesting, doesn't it? ;-), but my vote would be for the 1066. Granted, I have not listened to the 1055, so I'll try not to comment too much on something I haven't heard.

To me, the whole reason for going with separates in the first place is to obtain the best possible sound reproduction. The differences between the functionality and power requirements that a power amp and pre-amp have, it has always been my opinion that it is better to keep the two in separate physical chassis, each with their own transformers, capacitors, circuitry, etc...

It's due to this bias (misguided or not), that would have me purchase the 1066 over an all-in-one design like 1055. Most/all receivers (again, IMO) represent compromises -- compromises that are necessary to get the same functionality as three separate pieces of equipment into one box barely larger than a stand alone pre-amp. Is it possible that the 1055 sounds the same as a 1066 with its built in amplifier section and additional circuitry for a tuner while still costing hundreds of dollars LESS? I suppose so, but then either the 1066 represents an overpriced and underengineered product, which in my experience it is not, or Rotel has done a masterful job at masking the deficiencies inherent in a Receiver.

Again, just my $.02 -- no offense meant to anyone who has decided otherwise!

mike

Comment

• Bill Melendez
                                        • Dec 2002

Mike, I agree with you concerning separates versus receivers from a global stand point. What prompted me to write this post is the following possibility: Imagine that the 1055 has a not so good amp, which one resolves by getting the 1075 or 1095, and has a not so good tuner, which one resolves by just accepting it, and that the pre/pro was not compromised at all, meaning Rotel transplanted the pre/pro circuitry of the 1066 into the 1055. Then it would make sense, only this time, to prefer the 1055 over the 1066.

The best way to address this possibility is to compare the pre/pro sections of the 1055 and 1066. I asked my dealer, but he was not able to give me specifics. I wonder if someone has this information.

Bill

Comment

• JJF
                                          • Dec 2002

Guys, I have been following this discussion for some time and I can’t understand – if RSX1055 employs the same processor as RSP1066 and adds a 5 channel power amp and tuner – how come it is cheaper than 1066 ?. In this world nothing is for free, so there must be a catch of some kind. I cant believe that the 1055 and 1066 use the same SP. The difference may be on the component level, 1066 may be using higher grade stuff.
                                          In Europe, the RSP 1066 sells for 1600U$ and RSX1055 for 2000 U$, which makes much more sense from the pricing perspective. But it does not prove anything, as the European pricing policies are not the same as the American ones.

I personally prefer the separates as it is a lot easier to upgrade and tailor the system to individual tastes. The separates also tend to sound better, which had been proven in the audiophile world. The downside of separates is amount of additional cables to hook all the boxes together.

Greetings,

JJ

Comment

• Bill Melendez
                                            • Dec 2002

Guys, I have been following this discussion for some time and I can’t understand – if RSX1055 employs the same processor as RSP1066 and adds a 5 channel power amp and tuner – how come it is cheaper than 1066 ?
                                            You are applying logic to a marketing phenomena. Pricing is about preceptions. Also, and I can only speculate, Rotel most likely is expecting to sell more receivers than separates. More volume affords them lower prices.

I cant believe that the 1055 and 1066 use the same SP.
                                            I cannot believe it either. It was just a premise I stated that needs to be proven true or false rather than assuming a price to quality correlation.

I personally prefer the separates as it is a lot easier to upgrade and tailor the system to individual tastes. The separates also tend to sound better, which had been proven in the audiophile world.
                                            I agree. Using the 1055 as a pre/pro (bypassing the amplifiers) gives us exactly that, the sound of a separate system. Andrew addressed this issue in an earlier posting. He is in a good position to comment since he had and tested both components. In his post he commented that both units use the same firmware for upgrades, and that Rotel mentioned that there are some minor differences between the 1055 and 1066. I think it would have been nice to learn what the differences were. Maybe it is just what you suggested, the 1066 uses higher quality components.

regards,

Bill

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

The fact that the 1055 and the 1066 use the same firmware indicates that they are extremely similar since even a slight change would mean the firmwares would have to be different. The specs for both machines are nearly idenical with the noise floor been a little lower on the 1066 which makes sense given the added tuner and amps inside the 1055. As far as price goes it is simply a matter of volume...Rotel will sell WAY more 1055's so they can afford to make less on those then the 1066's....plus as someone mentioned peoples perception plays a part in determining what the price should be...face it we'd have serious quesitons about its quality if it were priced to low.

In my system I didn't hear a difference but Rotel tells me that there is a slight difference between them with the 1066 sounding better...IMO though since they sound so similar that the slight trade off in sound is made up with the addition of the tuner and amps for flexibility.

Comment

• Entice
                                                • Nov 2002

Dunno about you guys, but the spec sheets that I have for the 1066 and the 1055 show differences, namely in the THD section and freq. response/figures at which THD is measured. The 1065 has specs closer to the 1066 than the 1055.
                                                IMHO, I would say that the "flagship" would have to outperform all "subordiantes"!
                                                does anyone know for certain what DAC's the 1055 is running?
                                                Re the issue of firmaware being identical....

My car uses the same "fuel" or perhaps even the same chipset as the guys next door...but the gearing, and other performance hardware is certainly different...
                                                and, I do know which one goes better.

My point is.. the firmware being identical bears no significance, as it is basically a set of parameters for the hardware to operate within.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2000

entice remember that something as simple as the video upgrade on the newer version of these two machines means that the firmware had to be rewritten...its not as simple as a few parameters. Those lower THD values are likely the result of the internal noise generated from the tuner and amps in the 1055's. I'm looking forward though to seeing what the 1098 will spec out at...we shouldn't have to wait much longer 8)

Comment

• mml7
                                                    • Jun 2002

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                                                    Those lower THD values are likely the result of the internal noise generated from the tuner and amps in the 1055's. I'm looking forward though to seeing what the 1098 will spec out at...we shouldn't have to wait much longer 8)
                                                    Andrew,

I think that you just made my point.

mike

Comment

• Bill Melendez
                                                      • Dec 2002

Yes, there is more THD in the 1055, but if we bypass the amps and go with external amping (1095) then we should expect the THD to come closer to the 1066's THD. Is this right or am I wishing too hard?

Bill

Comment

• SayersWeb
                                                        • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                                                        The 1055 sounds exteremely similar to the 1066, its cheaper and is more flexible given the internal amps
                                                        Ok, I must admit.... I am a little miffed over this. I spent more money on the 1066 than I would have on the 1055 (which has onboard amps).

This sounds like a marketing ploy on Rotel's part and I find it to be very discouraging. Don't get me wrong, I am pleased with the 1066, but it sounds like I would have been equally pleased with the 1055. :?

Also, in regards to the original brotherMaX question, Have you considered the Denon AVR-3803? It seems to be a well spec'd unit in the same league as the others. I'm not sure how it stands up to the 1055. I'd be interested to know though, since a friend of mine is considering the 3803 and I would like to suggest the 1055 to him.

Sayer - Musical Creations and Home Page
                                                        Sayer - Musical Creations and Home Page

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Aug 2000

Its not a ploy by Rotel at all its simply the market that determines the price points...simply put Rotel likely sells twice as many 1055's as 1066's so they can afford to make less per unit on a 1055. Quality has nothing to do with price...one of the weird laws of marketing

As for the Denon I've owned a 2800 and 3300 as well as having the 3801 in for a demo and none of them hold a candle to the Rotels for sound quality in 2 channel. I'm not sure how much better then 3803 is but if I were choosing again I'd pick the 1055.

Comment

• JJF
                                                            • Dec 2002

Andrew,
                                                            If , as you are saying, 1055 and 1066 are extremely close ( implied the same SP), and 1055 (which includes the 1066 and additional power amplifiers) costs less than 1066, why would we need the 1066 ?
                                                            Don’t you think, that if all you are saying is true, the 1066 is terribly overpriced and is doomed for extinction ?

Comment

• mml7
                                                              • Jun 2002

jjf-

I would say no. There will always be a market for stand alone preamp/processors. If Rotel dropped their Preamp/processor, then I would simply look elsewhere. Amplifiers (and their transformers, Caps, etc) have distinctly different power and circuitry requirements than preamps.

I can not imagine a receiver sounding better than a standalone unit from the same manufacturer. Different, yes- not better (IMO). By the same token, I can't imagine the amplifier section in a receiver sounding better than a stand alone amplifier from the same manufacturer. There's a reason why separates exist and a reason why receivers exist (and those reasons aren't the same).

As Andrew has said, Rotel is likely going to sell twice as many 1055's as 1066's. Most companies have higher profit margins on their "high-end" stuff than they do on their "low-end" stuff.

The true measure, however, is your own ears and wallet. If you can not discern the difference, or if the differences are not worth the extra $$$, then the 1055 is better choice.

mike

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Aug 2000

I don't see the 1066 as being over priced or obsolete at all. It does sound better then the 1055...albeit not by much. The fact is the 1055 is a nice receiver and it does pretty well when used as a pre amp but it was really designed to be sold as a receiver not a pre amp. There are obviously some of use that will use the 1055 as a pre amp instead of the 1066 but we're a slim minority compared to the norm so I don't see the 1066 being phased out any time soon...a lot of people wouldn't ever use a receiver as a pre amp so for them the 1066 is the only choice they have from Rotel at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                Search Result for "|||"