RMB-1075: Important to leave switched on?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • suyver
    • Dec 2002

RMB-1075: Important to leave switched on?

Hi!

I'm thinking about buying a RMB-1075 amplifier. Is it important to leave it switched on all the time (when I'm not using it), or can I just switch it on when I want to watch a movie? It's ok if the amp should stabilize for a few minutes, because I have to power up my projector anyway. As long as it's not half an hour, or hours...

Thanks for any help,
    Freek Suyver.

Check out my home theater!
  • Brent Briscoe
    • Nov 2002

I just got my 1075 and connected it to my system last night. Its a great amp by the way. I have mine configured so that it powers up when I turn on my RSP 1066 using the 12 volt trigger connection. For my two channel listening I use an RB 1090 which I leave on all the time. I think a warm amplifier is more important for critical music listening. I don't think it matters too much for home theatre. If you feel comfortable leaving it on all the time go ahead it won't hurt the amplifier. My 1090 is only slightly warm when left on 24/7. Besides the Rotels have a thermal protection circuit that would shut them off if they got to hot. The important thing with any amp is that it has adequate ventilation. Other opinions will vary on this issue, just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers

Comment

• suyver
      • Dec 2002

No, I don't feel comfortable leaving the amp switched on all the time. I think that would be an enormous waste of electricity and therefore of the environement. I will, out of principle, not buy an amp that must be left on all the time.

This is why I was asking weather or not it would be bad for the sound (and the amp itself) switching it on anly a few minutes before I need it. Hopefullt not, otherwise I need to go and look for another amp.

Cheers,
      Freek.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

If its not a class A type amp it won't draw much current from the wall when not in use which is why I leave both my 5 channels amps on 24/7.

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
          • Sep 2002

It's absolutely not necessary to leave either the 1075 or the 1095 all day on. Just bear in mind that it takes about 10-15 minutes for the amp to give good sound.

Comment

• Danbry39
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2002

I live in California, so the energy bills would eat me alive if I left my Parasound on all the time. I think even leaving a nightlight on here runs about $86,000,000 a year in electricity. Seriously, I don't notice any change in sound quality as the capacitors or whatever (I'm no E.E.) charge up. Try it and see if you notice anything beyond the first few seconds. Then, you'll probably have a clear answer for yourself as to leave it on or turn it off.

Keith
            Keith

Comment

• craigdcan
              • Dec 2002

I see no reason to leave any SS amp turned on 24/7. IMO, by the time you push the power button and get to your couch, your amp should be warm enough. Even if you feel it sounds slightly better once "warm", I wouldn't classify it as "important". Unless you are in a very cool room, the temperature should be stabilized after a few minutes. I'll have to get out my trusty meat thermometer to be sure though.

Comment

• suyver
                • Dec 2002

Good to know. So, I'm probably going to buy this amp together with a 1066.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to answer!

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"