X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rudee
    • Oct 2000

3 Sub Power Questions

I was thinking of using an older Yamaha M60 amp to push my sonosub.

Specifications state:
    Continuous power per channel
    20Hz-20kHz 0.003%THD 8 omhs......160w
    " " 0.007%THD 6 ohms......185w
    " " 0.02%THD 4 ohms......210w

Dynamic Power:
    1kHz 8omhs...210w
    " 6 " ...260w
    " 4 " ...360w
    " 2 " ...450w

1-Does this look ok to power my 15.5 cu ft sub? I was intending to run the Tempest at 4ohms.

2-Would the Adire 250 be a better choice? I do have another M60.

Also I have this sitting around- an old Yamaha C-80 control amp from yonder years. It was used in a 2 channel setup for source selection and now I only use it for tuner/turntable- It has a built in parametric EQ and subsonic filter(has a 15Hz ON/OFF button?)
    The manual reads as follows:
    Parametric EQ-Low Band
    The Low Band of the Parametric EQ maay be used to boost or cut any frequency in the range of 31.5Hz to 800Hz by a selectable amount. A range of of frequencies is affected, centered on the frequency selected with the FREQUENCY control. The width of the frequency range to be adjusted is set with the BANDWIDTH control. The amount of boost or cut is set with the LEVEL control (-12 dB to +12dB).

Parametric EQ-High Band
    The Low Band of the Parametric EQ maay be used to boost or cut any frequency in the range of 0.8khz to 20kHz by a selectable amount. A range of of frequencies is affected, centered on the frequency selected with the FREQUENCY control. The width of the frequency range to be adjusted is set with the BANDWIDTH control. The amount of boost or cut is set with the LEVEL control (-12 dB to +12dB.

Subsonic Filter
    This switch cuts out ultra-low-frequency signals caused bu warped records or turntable rumble.
    Subsonic interference drains amp power and can even harm speakers if not attenuated.

All this is taken verbatim from the manuals.

3-Is this something I can use a dedicate it to the sub?

Sorry so long- I didn't want to leave anything out- Just trying to get my duckies in a row so when the Tempest arrives I can finalize the sub contruction- It's looking good but man is it huge!!

Thanks for any assistance-your opinions are appreciated.

rudee
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi

Your Yamaha amp is just the ticket. A little low on power, but it's probably enough. If the amp can be bridged into mono, then wire the woofer as a 4 ohm load. Otherwise just run one VC off each of the two channels.

You could use both the pre and power amp if you want to use the pre-amp features to EQ the sub

I'm some what familiar with those, and as I recall they are built like a tank.

Get the analog version of the RS spl meter, and your ready to go for dialing in the sub for your room

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• rudee
      • Oct 2000

Hello Thomas,
      Yes, the mid 80's Yamaha amps were built really well- I have 2 M60's (mains & center)and 2 M50's (rears & bass shakers) running my system now- I'd like to get my hands on one of the M80's- They're a good find if you run up on one.

I already have the sound meter, tripod and Avia test disc-
      Can you recommend a better calibration disk for the low end?

So do you think the control amp and it's features will benefit the sub as well as something like the Feedback Destroyer?
      What about the subsonic filter at 15Hz? Will this prevent the "bottoming" I hear mention of in a few post?

The control amp has source inputs:
      tuner, DAD, Phono, Tape 1, Tape 2 and Aux

Does it matter which I would choose for the LFE input? I don't think so but I thought I'd ask.

Does this jive?
      1.From the LFE output of my Technics SHAC 500d Decoder
      2.Y-split the mono signal into the C-80 control amp left & right (whichever input is most suitable)
      3.C-80 output into the M60 amp input
      4.Speaker A- Left & Right to the sub dvc Left & right terminals.
      I know some of this is basic but just thinkin' out loud.

The M60 can't be bridged (i don't think).
      So I should run the sub w/o the connecting post in the terminals? I'm using the terminators from partsexpress like Pat. This would be 8ohm load right?

Thanks
      rudee

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

For your input use any line level in. Not phono.

Yes, the subsonic filter will be beneficial

I'd try your pre-amp, if you don't like what it does then maybe the BFD is an option. I don't like the info that they hum. And Mike Knapp describes something that sounds like "pumping" that's usually associated with cheap digital processors.

The hardware hookup you describe sound fine.

I don't have an AVIA disk, so can't comment on it. There is a good disc available from

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Pat
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

Rudee, I am using a Yamaha M-65 to power my dual Shiva sub(4ohms per channel).
          I picked it up used (got a good deal) and I have had it hooked up since last Dec. and it had been driving my sub effortlessly ever since

Pat's Page
          Pat's Page

Comment

• rudee
            • Oct 2000

I really like the Yamaha M-series esp. when you find a deal on them- I'd love to have one of the M80's or several M80's. I may switch to something with more power on down the road but I'm more than happy to do the "amp shuffle" without spending more $$.
            Now where do I put the MK v90 sub?

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"