X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

New 9.1 channel Dolby Pro Logic IIz

From a news release I just saw of the first receiver, (Onkyo) with the new Dolby Pro Logic IIz technology that extracts to 9.1 channels. I chased down this technology report on the Dolby website. Very interesting.
    I'm surprised that I hadn't heard of this before! My thoughts in another post down below.

Dolby Pro Logic IIz
    • Taking Surround to New Heights
    • Introduces a new dimension in surround sound listening
    • Contains all the proven quality of Dolby® Pro Logic® IIx
    • Provides a compelling new listening experience with a more lifelike soundstage
    • Enables greater flexibility in expanding a 5.1 playback system to 7.1, or a 7.1 system to 9.1
    • Signifies an appealing new approach to surround playback in the home

Dolby Pro Logic IIz introduces a new dimension to home theater listening through the addition of front height channels, creating a 7.1 or 9.1 playback system that enhances the spaciousness of music, movies, and video games.

Through the addition of a pair of speakers above the front left and right speakers, Dolby Pro Logic IIz introduces a vertical component to the horizontal soundfield of a conventional 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound system. The enhanced spatial effects bring an overall airiness to the listening experience, a new dimension of presence and depth.

With Dolby Pro Logic IIz, rain in a movie now seems to be actually falling on the listener’s roof, concert videos bring a more intense sense of being at the performance, and orchestral works deliver more palpable depth, power, and connection.

In games, the added dimension increases the realism and immerses players more deeply than ever in the action.

Because it processes only nondirectional sounds for the height channels, Dolby Pro Logic IIz maintains the integrity of the source mix and the effects are always appropriate to the material. The added dimension complements the sound from the rear surround speakers, adding spaciousness while honoring the original intent of the content creator.

The Challenge

7.1-channel surround sound has made the home theater experience exceptionally involving and compelling. However, due to room layouts and space limitations, not every setup can accommodate the back speakers of a 7.1 system. Through our extensive research into multichannel listening, we have developed technology that delivers alternative solutions.

Dolby Pro Logic IIz solves these problems by adding front height channels, through a pair of speakers mounted above the left and right speakers in a home theater surround sound system. Dolby Pro Logic IIz:
    • Improves on the spatial presentation of current 7.1 surround sound setups
    • Provides installation flexibility for setups in which rear surround speakers are not practical

Dolby Pro Logic IIz offers a new dimension in sound, bringing a greater sense of air and presence from any content. Benefits include:
    • Realistic and involving surround sound from any music or movie source
    • Dramatic alternative listening perspective for installations that can’t accommodate back surround speakers
    • Functions with original stereo or multichannel sources
      Requires no special encoding or separate mixing by the content producer
    • Simplistic speaker positioning and wiring

The added channels also add flexibility for designing a surround sound system with up to 9.1 channels. 9.1-channel AVRs offer even more options, including state-of-the-art 9.1 playback with surround and back speakers and two front height speakers.

Because Dolby Pro Logic IIz is based on proven Dolby Pro Logic IIx technology, it is as easily implemented in AVRs. The height channels become another option on the speaker setup menu. Additionally, game developers now have a powerful tool that opens up the potential for true three-dimensional audio effects. With Dolby Pro Logic IIz, developers can encode specific height information in the z-axis. Players will experience even greater immersion and realism.

Why Height

Extensive listening sessions established that adding a height dimension to a home theater brings a greater sense of realism than would the addition of surround speakers in the horizontal plane to 7.1 systems. People are also far more sensitive to directional cues from sounds occurring in front than from those behind, determining that front speaker placement is ideal.

Expanding on established Dolby Pro Logic II matrix decoding innovations, Dolby Pro Logic IIz identifies and decodes spatial cues that occur naturally in all content—stereo and 5.1 broadcast, music CDs, DVDs, 5.1 and 7.1 Blu-ray™ discs, and video games. Dolby Pro Logic IIz processes low-level, uncorrelated information—such as ambience and some amorphous effects like rain or wind—and directs it to the front height speakers.

Just as with the surround channels in existing Pro Logic IIx technology, the height extensions do not offer any new kinds of program content to drive the height channel outputs. The extensions are designed to more effectively use existing program material when height channel speaker outputs are present. The height extensions can be used to upmix a variety of sources from movies and music, but are particularly well-suited to upmix game content.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • littlesaint
    • Jul 2007

Looks like Dolby needs money.
    Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

More from the Dolby site:

Dolby Pro Logic IIz Configurations

Dolby® Pro Logic® IIz incorporates all of the features and capabilities of Dolby Pro Logic IIx. The following information summarizes existing Dolby Pro Logic IIx implementations and what’s added for Dolby Pro Logic IIz.

Features and configurations for Dolby Pro Logic IIx:
      • Ability to generate up to 7.1 channels from stereo and 5.1 sources
      • Support for the following decoding modes:

Pro Logic mode
      Virtual Compatible mode
      Music mode
      Movie mode
      Matrix mode
      Dolby Digital EX mode
      • Support for the following upmixed output configurations based on stereo sources:

2 to 3 [L, R to L, C, and R]
      2 to 4 [L, R to L, R, Ls, and Rs]
      2 to 5.1 [L, R to L, C, R, Ls, and Rs]
      2 to 6.1 [L, R to L, C, R, Ls, Rs, and Cs]
      2 to 7.1 [L, R to L, C, R, Ls, Rs, Lrs, and Rrs]
      • Support for the following upmixed output configurations based on 5.1 sources with independent Ls and Rs channels:

5.1 to 6.1 [Ls, Rs to Ls, Rs, and Cs]
      5.1 to 7.1 [Ls, Rs to Ls, Rs, Lrs, and Rrs]

The features listed above allow Dolby Pro Logic IIx to provide a true surround sound experience from a variety of sources. However, all the outputs derived by existing Dolby Pro Logic IIx decoders are located in a horizontal plane. The Dolby Pro Logic IIz extensions to Dolby Pro Logic IIx allow it to derive height channel outputs that significantly enhance the spatial experience.

In addition to the features already described, the height extensions offer the following new features and configurations:
      • Ability to generate audio of up to 9.1 channels that include height channel outputs from stereo, 5.1, and 7.1 Back sources.
      • Supports the following upmixed output configurations based on stereo sources:

2 to 7.1 Height [L, R to L, C, R, Ls, Rs, Lvh, and Rvh]
      2 to 9.1 [L, R to L, C, R, Ls, Rs, Lrs, Rrs, Lvh, and Rvh]
      • Supports the following upmixed output configurations based on 5.1 sources with independent Ls and Rs channels:

5.1 to 7.1 Height [Ls, Rs to Ls, Rs, Lvh, and Rvh]
      5.1 to 9.1 [Ls, Rs to Ls, Rs, Lrs, Rrs, Lvh, and Rvh]
      Note: For 5.1-channel sources, Dolby Pro Logic IIz height extensions operate
      only on the Ls and Rs channels; L, C, R, and LFE channels are bypassed.

Because new formats (such as Blu-ray Disc™) allow content to contain up to 7.1 discrete channels from Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD audio programs, the height extensions support 7.1 Back sources and offer the following upmixed output configurations:
      • 7.1 Back to 7.1 Height [Ls, Rs, Lrs, and Rrs to Ls, Rs, Lvh, and Rvh]
      • 7.1 Back to 9.1 [Ls, Rs to Ls, Rs, Lrs, Rrs, Lvh, and Rvh]

Note: For 7.1-channel sources, Dolby Pro Logic IIz height extensions may operate
      only on the Ls, Rs, Lrs, and Rrs channels; L, C, R, and LFE are bypassed.
      Last edited by Chris D; 12 March 2009, 10:05 Thursday.
      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

I saw the demo at CES this year. DTS also has a new technology that has the upper fronts and an addition pair of rear speakers as well.

Its kinda gimmicky if you ask me...
        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Okay, my take on this. Several points:

1. Yes, I do think that vertical soundfield expansion is good. I'm one of those that really believed in the soundfield expansion to 7.1, wrapping the soundfield around the viewer/listener. (best used for movies, but also useful for audio, although some would disagree) So I think expanding it vertically would be the next step. Before DPLIIx, I was a purist, choosing to not use any processing at all. True pure sound was the best. But Dolby really hit a home run with IIx, and the resulting sound was a great improvement. I'm willing to give IIz a try and hope it's also well designed.

2. For those that don't know, a ceiling speaker was considered for the original Dolby Digital spec, but eventually dropped.

3. Yamaha has been doing something very similar to this technology for many years, in a configuration very similar to the 1st one above. Many of their nicer receivers have 2 "front effect" speakers, to be placed above and outside the mains. For many years, I used this configuration myself (5.1 plus 2 effects) with a Yamaha RX-V2095, which I still own, BTW. I actually did think that the effects broadened the front sound stage, and improved the sound. But you need to be careful in how you implement it, which I can give details on later.

4. For a vertical expansion, I'd actually prefer to use a ceiling speaker instead of front vertical speakers. Sikoniko, if you're saying that DTS is going further to an 11.1, sheesh... now we're getting rather extreme, don't you think? I think one ceiling speaker directly overhead the main listening position could be well blended with the other channels to provide 3D imaging.

5. I'm open to trying this out! I don't quite think it's "gimmicky", but I think we're closer to the point of diminishing returns than was the leap from 5.1 to 7.1, much less 2.0 or 3.0 to quadraphonic or 5.1.
          Last edited by Chris D; 12 March 2009, 12:23 Thursday.
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

And here's a press release for that first DPLIIz receiver from Onkyo:

Onkyo targets value-conscious consumers with a Spring 2009 AV Receiver line-up offering new technologies, features, and performance not previously available at these prices.

UPPER SADDLE RIVER, NJ (3/12/09) – As the first installment of its 2009 product line-up, Onkyo has introduced three new home theater receivers, including the world's first to offer Dolby's new ProLogic IIz processing, which can produce sound effects above the listener's head. Theses models, which range in price from $299 to $599, also include an array of advanced HD audio and video technologies from Onkyo, Dolby, DTS, Audyssey, Faroudja, and others that were previously only available at higher price points. They feature up to six HDMI inputs, and include the first AV receiver with a front-panel HDMI input.

With the debut of the new TX-SR607 receiver, Onkyo has the distinction of becoming the world’s first manufacturer to launch a 7.2-channel home cinema receiver featuring the all-new Dolby Pro-Logic IIz mode. Designed to take home cinema sound to new heights (literally!) DPL IIz introduces a vertical aspect to the sound field through the addition of left and right-channel front height speakers mounted above the main speakers. Based on the initial positive reactions to demonstrations of this technology to dealers, Onkyo anticipates good demand for expanded height channel capabilities in future models.

"We are very excited to be the first audio manufacturer to utilize this exciting new surround format from Dolby," comments Onkyo USA marketing manager Paul Wasek. "It adds a new realm of audience involvement in three dimensions, with surprise aircraft flyovers triggering the 'duck' reflex. Onkyo has launched this technology on our most popular AV receiver, rather than our most expensive, in order to reach out to a much larger customer base. The company's premium receiver lineup, which will roll out over the Summer, will include expanded height-channel capabilities, internet radio and network audio technologies at lower price points."

These new models are well equipped for Blu-ray and other HD audio and video source components, with HDMI repeaters plus Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio processing in the TX-SR607 and TX-SR507. The entry-level TX-SR307 has HDMI pass-through switching on three inputs, while all three models support 1080p, Deep Color, and x.v.Color.

All of these receivers use Audyssey 2EQ, an automatic calibration system which corrects each channel's output in both frequency and time domains based on measurements at three unique listening positions, Audyssey Dynamic Volume technology, which optimizes the dynamic range of listening material at any listening level, and Audyssey Dynamic EQ, which corrects problems associated with reduced sound quality at low listening levels.

Onkyo has also developed four new exclusive gaming modes designed to enhance the listener’s experience when using video game systems. Players can select from Rock, Sports, Action, or Role Playing game modes to match the gaming content. These new modes will immerse all the players in the action like never before.

The Onkyo TX-SR607 and TX-SR507 are the first to use the company's new proprietary rear-panel universal port, which simplifies the connection for Onkyo’s forthcoming HD Radio Tuner and iPod Dock that will be available in late spring. The 5.1-channel TX-SR307 and TX-SR507 have 65- and 80-watts per channel amplifiers respectively, while the 7.2-channel TX-SR607 is rated at 90 watts per channel, has dual subwoofer line-outputs, and upconverts all analog sources to HDMI via Faroudja DCDi technology.

The Onkyo TX-SR307 and TX-SR507 will be available in March, and the TX-SR607 in April with suggested retail prices of $299, $399, and $599 respectively.

Onkyo, which takes its name from the Japanese "On" meaning 'sound' and "Kyo" meaning 'harmony,' has been producing precision audio components for over a half-century. The company's philosophy is to deliver products that are superbly designed and built to a consistently outstanding standard of excellence. Today, Onkyo is at the forefront of the home theater and digital revolutions. For more information about this and other fine Onkyo products, visit www.onkyousa.com or call 800-229-1687.
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

You know, my old Yamaha 5.1 receiver also had a Cinema DSP setting that allowed for two high up LF front speakers, expanding the system to 7.1. However it was a model A3090 and predated the inclusion of one or two back channels that my Denon has. Though they did add a little more ambience, I actually wasn't impressed with those two extra speakers up front. I never found much of a difference when I used to turn it off and just use the 5.1 setting. The Onyko could be different.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• june
                • Feb 2005

hello all,

first this is just my humble opinion. less is more with the 6.1, 7.1, etc systems. i tried the "EX 6.1" also the effect speaker with a yamaha rvx3000 reciever. after all the hypes, dolby & dts 5.1 is still the best. BTW, the 5.1 new HD surround sounds are even better.
                June
                "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• sikoniko
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by june
                  hello all,

first this is just my humble opinion. less is more with the 6.1, 7.1, etc systems. i tried the "EX 6.1" also the effect speaker with a yamaha rvx3000 reciever. after all the hypes, dolby & dts 5.1 is still the best. BTW, the 5.1 new HD surround sounds are even better.
                  I find that room size and setup is the most important factor to whether a 6.1/7.1 setup will be better than a 5.1 setup.

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Hmmmm... yeah, June have you tried DPL IIx processing, or Dolby TruHD 7.1 or DTS-HD 7.1? In a proper room, I've found that wrapping the soundfield around the viewer can be really beneficial.
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• littlesaint
                      • Jul 2007

I too stick with plain old 5.1. 5.1 is the closest match engineering-wise to the original soundtrack. In large rooms, I could see the benefit of 7.1, but personally I think it has very limited returns on most cases. With proper engineering and proper seating, even a center channel becomes unnecessary.
                      Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• wettou
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • May 2006

Classé said that they will consider-it for the new upgrade of the SSP-800 in the Spring with the new chip, I am wondering if they will make it happen that would be cool if it is a good as Dobly Prologic IIx :B
                        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• audioqueso
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Nov 2004

It sounds like they are trying to go where great speakers go. A great speaker can already create a soundstage where, rain for example, sounds like it's really coming from anywhere. Regular HTIB speakers can't do that. But take a few extra channels, and now they might be able to get the same effect.
                          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• rob17
                            • Jul 2007

If I recall, Sunfire had/has a 9.1 receiver out. I think they had their own chip though to do the up conversion from 5.1 or 7.1.

This looks cool though. I don't really imagine that there will be too much of a difference, and still most movies don't even come in 7.1

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

I'm going to have to audition this technology in person. The more I think about it, the more I'm wondering just how beneficial this would be in the manner that they're choosing to implement it. When I used to use my Yamaha receiver with the front 2 effect speakers also on the front wall, it did expand the front soundstage, making it bigger and taller. However, it was a 2-dimensional expansion of the plane on the display wall, and did not wrap around the viewer. Good, and beneficial, but not overwhelming.

Now, I'm hoping that the new DPLIIz incorporates psychoacoustics to make it seem like the sound really is coming from overhead, not just on the front wall at a taller height. Me personally, since I DO want a vertical soundfield, I'd rather see a 8.1 sound configuration, with one speaker installed in the ceiling, directly over the heads of the listeners. This would be a subtle, blended channel, mixed with the other channels really more than being completely discreet, just adding some vertical height to surround sounds.

Given the amount of extra wiring that is going to be necessary for the two effect speakers as well as having to buy two addition speakers themselves, I would not prep a setup for, or implement, this technology without being sure that you're going to get a worthwhile return.
                              Last edited by Chris D; 04 April 2009, 17:45 Saturday.
                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

On a different note about front effect channels, something I learned from using those Yamaha channels earlier was that you have to be careful about how they're used. The Yamaha front effect channels would pretty much duplicate the main channels at a lower level. But while we typically use large, fairly full-range speakers for front mains, nobody is going to mount those kinds of speakers up in the room corners on the front wall, so they'll use little bookshelf speakers for the effects. There can be a BIG sonic difference between the sound produced by big mains and small bookshelf speakers. It's even MORE pronounced if you don't match the speakers, especially if you're using a different brand for mains, surrounds, and effects.

So if you're not careful about how you implement effect channels like that, and the equipment that you use, you can degrade the overall sound quality produced, even if you're expanding the soundfield.

Like I said... I'm going to have to audition this DPLIIz technology in person to judge its effectiveness. Could be great, based on the way DPLIIx impressed me, but we'll see!
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• wettou
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • May 2006

Classé said that they will not include Dolby IIz 8O
                                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

I just got this press release today. Very interesting to me, that a speaker company has put enough stock in Dolby Pro Logix IIz that they have developed speakers that they say are dedicated to this "height technology"!

Atlantic Technology Surround Speaker Ideal for New Height Channel Applications

Atlantic Technology 1400 SR-z dipole/bipole surround speakers are ideal for height channel applications.
                                    Click any photo for high resolution JPEG image file.

NORWOOD, MA (4/21/09) – Atlantic Technology has introduced a new dipole/bipole selectable surround speaker designed specifically with height-speaker channel applications in mind. The new Atlantic Technology 1400 SR-z's compact size and shallow profile allow it to be mounted high on the wall above the system's front speakers, making it ideal for use in home theater systems employing the new Dolby ProLogic IIz sound format, which calls for a pair of 'surround' channels to provide sound effects and ambience over the listener's head.

Dolby Pro Logic IIz adds a new dimension of sonic information to movies, games, and music through the addition of a pair of 'height channel' speakers mounted above the front LR speakers. These new channels process the non-directional sonic information already present in audio content, generating a more spacious and enveloping surround soundfield than was previously possible from any stereo or multichannel source material.

"We're really enthusiastic about Dolby ProLogic IIz," comments Atlantic Technology President Peter Tribeman, "which finally brings home theater sound into the third dimension. And like the left and right surround channels, these new height speakers are at their most effective when generating the highly diffuse and non-localized soundfield that multi-directional surrounds are so adept at The 1400 SR-z speakers deliver that, and in a package that is easy to mount, compact, and low-profile to miminize their visual impact while maximizing their sonic impact."

The 1400 SR-z is part of the Atlantic Technology System 1400 family of products, but its 'voicing' and timbre are also very well-matched to any of the company's many other theater systems. This means it can be used with any Atlantic system without encountering soundfield discontinuity effects that can corrupt the three-dimensional soundfield. In addition to height-channel applications, the speaker is quite adept in either the side or rear surround channel positions, and is selectable to either dipole or bipole operation to optimize the surround experience depending on install position and the theater space.

The Atlantic Technology 1400 SR-z uses a pair full-range polymer-treated cone drivers to deliver an enveloping and convincing surround soundfield. The 3-1/2-inch drivers used for these speakers use Atlantic’s High Frequency Assistive Radiator (HFAR) technology, which greatly expands the range of the drivers while still allowing for a remarkably small enclosure and seamless ‘crossoverless’ sound.

The Atlantic Technology 1400 SR-z is finished in attractive satin black finish. It will be available in the second half of May, and has a suggested retail price of $425/pr.

From its inception, Atlantic Technology’s mission has been to produce home entertainment products that exemplify the very best in both performance and value. The company specializes in complete high-performance multi-channel speaker systems, state-of-the-art home theater electronics components, and products for custom audio/video installation.

Atlantic Technology speaker systems are designed and engineered as integrated multi-channel ensembles, and hand assembled at the company's Norwood, MA facility. These systems are tailored and tuned to provide a seamless and startlingly realistic soundstage for multi-channel music and home theater.

For more information on Atlantic Technology and its many fine products for home theater and custom audio/video installation, visit www.atlantictechnology.com or call 781-762-6300.

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• wettou
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • May 2006

If you read Floyd Toole's book you will see why 9.4 it might not be so bad :B

Also if I would implement a 9.1 or better yet a 9.4, I would use the following

9 Focal Diabolo Utopia III and 4 JL Audio Fathom F113 :T

or

9 B&W 805D if they are ever released 4 JL Audio Fathom F113

Comment

• sikoniko
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by wettou
                                        If you read Floyd Toole's book you will see why 9.4 it might not be so bad :B

Also if I would implement a 9.1 or better yet a 9.4, I would use the following

9 Focal Diabolo Utopia III and 4 JL Audio Fathom F113 :T

or

9 B&W 805D if they are ever released 4 JL Audio Fathom F113
                                        what is .4? 4 independent LFE channels? As it is today, there is nothing above .1.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Aug 2003

I'd rather not cut-n-paste the whole quote, but Atlantic Technologies kind of muddies the water for me with that product. I wonder what would be the "ideal" speaker for that location. I've never been a fan of bi-pole/di-pole, but I'd like to know more about the signal that will be carried to those particular speakers. Would it be 80Hz and up, or would it be more like raised tweeters that wouldn't need to carry audio below say 300Hz? I'm guessing its a great opportunity for companies to market for those speakers, but what would really be the best fit - and if your front speakers weren't floor standers, but were somehow mounted on the wall (or raised to the center of the wall), which many custom speakers do, is there really any benefit?

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                            • Dec 2008

After the very long read last night in the back issues of Audio Critic I will not go beyond 5.1.I'm not saying there is any thing wrong with more,but I feel at this point I want to K.I.S.S kind of approach.
                                            So my search for gear will be geared towards that.
                                            I'm beginning to think that too much of anything may not be so good after all.
                                            A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by 1oldguy
                                              After the very long read last night in the back issues of Audio Critic I will not go beyond 5.1.I'm not saying there is any thing wrong with more,but I feel at this point I want to K.I.S.S kind of approach.
                                              So my search for gear will be geared towards that.
                                              I'm beginning to think that too much of anything may not be so good after all.
                                              it all depends on the room. I wouldn't put a critics opinion over anyone elses. some rooms benefit from the additional speakers, and others do not.

Comment

• Legairre
                                                • Jan 2002

cnet's review of PLIIz wasn't very positive. http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10230238-1.html
                                                "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
                                                Radden Home Theater

Comment

• dynamowhum
                                                  • Aug 2006

I understand Cnets review didn't post rooms specifics. I am with ChrisD on this one I would like to audtion it. The only question is where? I have a 3200 cubed room and I 7.1 and Dolby 11X with an emotiva set up.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Dec 2000

I appreciate this article. For me, I'll likely have to wait until CEDIA in September.
                                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                                      • Dec 2008

Interesting article to say the least.I would have to agree in theory only ...The suggestions toward the end of the article makes sence.If I am to spend x amounts of money then I too would want the biggest return.But again if one has the stash and a room for it and the experience and the time to go along with it then why not do it or at least experiment.Personally it isn't for me but i won't knock someone else for trying it.Live and let live is the motto of the day.
                                                      A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• artv4
                                                        • Jun 2007

i got a chance to hear this format at ces. my impression was that the audio world needs a new tech and dolby knows consumers will pay. just my 2 cents
                                                        GO Revel!!!!! (powered by ;x( Anthem)

Comment

• H.T.C
                                                          • Nov 2003

Originally posted by artv4
                                                          i got a chance to hear this format at ces. my impression was that the audio world needs a new tech and dolby knows consumers will pay. just my 2 cents
                                                          If anyone was to go 9.1 or higher and depending on room size most lilkley sat speakers only,except for mains but sats do have a certain waf factor and adds a bit of decor.

If there is a audio video soothsayer,the prediction would be smaller speakers because as the population increases smaller homes will be built to accomidate the expanding society and lower space requirements and which means tower and large bookself speakers are obsolete especially with the more surrond settings.
                                                          Robert

Comment

• Legairre
                                                            • Jan 2002

I know there's a recession and all but here in the US homes aren't getting any smaller. Towers aren't going to be obsolete in our lifetime. If anything more people in the US are building media rooms and turning their basements in to theaters and using towers. Also having 9 speakers hanging around the room would have a pretty bad WAF except in a dedicated theater or media room.

Even as a guy I wouldn't want 7 let alone 9 speakers and a sub in my living room, but in my theater it's fine.
                                                            "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
                                                            Radden Home Theater

Comment

• JustinGN
                                                              • May 2009

Color me biased, but I think it's safe to say that any good speaker/processor combo can create an enveloping sound stage from a decent sound mix, regardless of if you're using 5, 7, or 9.1 setups. I could see the potential use for such a track in video games, though, where music is mastered for the two front channels, but dialog, sound effects and audio cues are directed to a single speaker or speakers instead of being mixed into a single soundstage.

I could see Microsoft, Sony or the PC Gaming Industry jumping feet-first into this, but I don't think current studios or Mastering facilities are going to even bat an eyelash. It'd be one thing if current films are mastered for cinema use with Height Tracks, but that's not really the case; why artificially move tracks around more than they already are?

Comment

• H.T.C
                                                                • Nov 2003

I like to correct that part about large speakers being obsolete they wont be aleast for mains or for years to come anyways,i was trying to point out that as more speakers are utilized for surrond effects that most consumers or hobbiests would want to go with sats then heavy or cumbersome speakers.

If the future becomes more "george jetson" like ie:smaller yet more advanced tech wise then it could be presumed home theater would decrease in size (cd players,recievers,speakers,dvd machines) etc but not in quality.
                                                                Robert

Comment

Working...
                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                Search Result for "|||"