X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Morris Jones
    • Oct 2002

IR receiver for zone 2 (RSX-1065)

Can someone recommend an infrared receiver for zone 2 on my RSX-1065?

The manual says "Xantech, etc.", and "industry standard remote," but I don't see anything on the Xantech web page that seems to be the right combination of IR receiver, cable, and plug to go into the remote in jack.

Thanks!

Mojo

Morris Jones
    San Rafael, CA

mojo@whiteoaks.com
    Morris Jones
    San Rafael, CA
    http://www.whiteoaks.com
    mojo@whiteoaks.com
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

How far away is this? How many walls to go though? If its not to far you might want to simply try the Powermids from Radio Shack. They're small dome shaped devices that simply convert an IR signal to RF to transmit it between the two domes then re-emit the signal as an IR. If there aren't too many walls/floors to go through this would be the cheapest solution (~$50) Given Radio Shacks return policy its worth a shot. If they don't work or aren't reliable enough for you then a hard wired system is the way to go but its a lot more work and expense. I'm not totally versed in the hard wired config yet but I too need to install a second zone soon so I could be walking down the same path as you shortly.

If you don't get the response you need here in club rotel try posting it in one of the other area's where theres more general traffic.

Comment

• Morris Jones
      • Oct 2002

A generic repeater is no good for Zone 2, because it has to be plugged into the Zone 2 remote jack in back of the receiver. That's the only way the receiver will be able to distinguish the power/input/volume commands as being for Zone 2.

I ordered a Niles TIR1+ table top IR sensor from onecall.com. It connects to the receiver by a two-wire shielded cable. I won't have any trouble running that cable along the same path as the speaker wires that are already there.

Unfortunately the 1065 manual doesn't specify the type of connector to plug into the Zone 2 remote jack, or what the connections are. I'm sure my dealer can get that information.

Best regards,
      Mojo

Morris Jones
      San Rafael, CA

mojo@whiteoaks.com
      Morris Jones
      San Rafael, CA
      mojo@whiteoaks.com

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

The IR inputs on the back are simple DATA/Ground inputs. Use a 1/8" mono jack. Tip is data, sleeve is ground. If you only purchased the receiver you will need a 12v powersupply. You could use the 12v out on the 1065, but you won't be able to turn the unit on from remote (as there will be no 12v until the units on).

You can use 2-wire shielded or CAT5, either will work fine. Run the data & ground wires from the 1/8" jack to the IR receiver. Then run the 12v & ground wires from the powersupply. Both grounds go together, data goes to data, 12v goes to 12v.

Simple as that and zone2 works excellent using the same remote!

Kevin D.

Comment

• Morris Jones
          • Oct 2002

Thanks for the tips! I found out by trial that the Rotel doesn't supply +12V, and my dealer sold me a Xantech connector block that provided the final piece of the puzzle.

Zone 2 works great, with a few quirks.

Much of the time the selected source for zone 2 is the tuner, and I'm using the Rotel remote in zone 2.

1. Supposedly the +10 key is equivalent to "direct input" on the front panel, but it doesn't appear to work from zone 2. Presets only.

2. "Preset" doesn't seem to toggle to scroll presets instead of frequencies.

3. A documented (and reasonable) quirk: If the primary source is also "tuner," then zone 2 is prohibited from changing the station.

Mojo

Morris Jones
          San Rafael, CA

mojo@whiteoaks.com
          Morris Jones
          San Rafael, CA
          mojo@whiteoaks.com

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"