X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

How to upgrade the Rotel 1066

I recently got the Rotel RTC 1066 pre amp and one of its features is that it has upgradeable firmware. You can request the latest firmware by emailing Rotel here or you can download the latest version (currently 1.45) from here The cable you need to update your firmware is available from Rotel and is supposed to cost $30 shipped but some have claimed they weren't charged. Anyway if you can't wait for the cable here's how I made my own.

First you will need an ethernet cable with RJ45 connectors of suffient lenght...longer is likely better then shorter. You can find these at any store that sells computers since its pretty much the standard network cable.

Next we need a DB9 connector (aka serial connector). There's a few different ways of doing this but what I did was went to radio shack and purchased a D-Sub Plug Connector (part # 276-1427A). Its a bare female DB9 that has some small pins that you can crimp onto the wires so there's no soldering involved. You will also require a gender changer since the PC will want a male DB9 connector. Again these are readily available at radio shack. Alternately I suppose you could purchase a regular serial cable and simply cut one end off and twist the approp. wires together.

Ok so you now have the ethernet cable and the DB9 connector now what? The first step will be to cut off one end of the ethernet cable close to one of the connectors. Once that's done simply cut off an inch or so of the outer plastic cover to reveal the small wires inside. Ok now here's where you need to pay attention to detail. We need to seperate the four wires we need and crimp on those small pins that came with the DB9 connector. The wires we need are #3, 4, 5 and 6. If you're like me and had no idea which wire was what number you'll find the diagram below helpful.

Now that we know what colour each pin is its fairly easy to crimp on the pins we need to the four wires. The diagram at the bottom of then PDF document from Rotel's web site (available here) is wrong. What you need to do is twist #4 and #6 together into one pin while #3 and #5 get their own pins. You should end up with three pins crimped onto four wires on the ethernet cable like this...

3 (TX, stripe green) RJ45 to 2 (RX) RS232
    5 (RX, stripe blue) RJ45 to 3 (TX) RS232
    4 and 6 (GND, solid blue and solid green) RJ45 twisted to 5 (GND) RS232

Now the DB9 connecoter we bought has the numbers stamped onto it so its simply a matter of pushing the pins through the black plastic holder into the right hole (as outlined in the above PDF diagram)

Once you have the pins in place you can follow the instructions as outlined in Rotel's Software Update PDF which is available here. Assuming everything goes well you'll now have the most current version of the firmware for under $15!

• cautery
    • Jun 2002

Cool Andrew!

i'm like this (><) close to pulling the trigger on a 1066/1095 combo... I'm really wanting separates at this point. But the "boss" would shoot me I think... especially since I have 5 speakers, a sub, a media cabinet, and a component rack needing to be built.... and carpet to install, etc, etc...

I love the idea of being to flash the EEPROM in my pre/pro. (read: totally unrecoverable computer freak)

Clay Autery
    "More, Better, Faster..."
    Clay Autery
    "More, Better, Faster..."

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I agree being able to easily fix bugs without having to ship the unit back or take it in to a repair shop is a major plus IMO.

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

Interesting! I think this should become a future CatCables product, Lex! Of course, you'd have to sell them for under $30 a pop in order to be competitive. Just bulk order some 10-foot Cat5 cables and the female DB9s and build them and sell them. Heck, maybe I should do that, then I could afford a Rotel! :B

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
        My HT Site

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
            • Sep 2002

What the time needed to flash a new firmware in the RSP-1066?

Flashing the RSX-1065 is performed exactly the same way as with the RSP-1066.
            I flashed my RSX-1065, using WIN XP Hyperteminal and a long (about 10 meters) interface cable. The flashing took 45 minutes to (succesfull) complete.

Comment

• JohnSC
              • Jun 2002

It takes me about 20 mins to upgrade my 1066 and I am using Win XP. I have heard of Win 98 users taking only about 5 mins to upgrade theirs.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

I've use three different machines to attemp to flash my 1066 and 1055's. Strangely enough only one works and thats a lapyop running Win98. both my XP machines won't work since when hyperterminal comes up I can't press one on the numberpad to start erasing the memory. I have an old Pentium 100 that runs Win95 as well that I move over near the equipment rack to flash firmwares with etc but although that one seems to work I've yet to get it to sucessfully flash the firmware...everything looks ok but when you turn the Rotel back on nothing happens. I have no idea why some machines work and others don't but at least it works everytime with the laptop

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Oh and yes it only takes a few minutes from Win98.

Comment

• RogueAngel
                    • Jun 2002

Andrew,

Have you tried designating hyperterminal to run in a 98 environment on one of the XP machines?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

No that's a good suggestion though. Unfortunatly given that both my XP machines are 40 feet away its easier to just borrow the laptop from work when I need to flash the firmware

Comment

• Danbry39
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Sep 2002

Excuse my computer illiteracy, but I have a couple of questions regarding the upgrading process. Thanks for any help.

1. Does it matter which I enter between "Direct to Comm1 or Comm2"?

2. After the download is complete, is there anything to type in the "Download Setup" box or do I just power off the 1066 and disconnect the cable?

3. In HyperTerminal, using XP, how do I instruct the computer to use a Window's 98 environment?

Keith
                        Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

1. Does it matter which I enter between "Direct to Comm1 or Comm2"?

You'd set it to which ever com port you have the cable attached to. There should be a little label near the port telling you which is which

2. After the download is complete, is there anything to type in the "Download Setup" box or do I just power off the 1066 and disconnect the cable?

No once its done and reports back about the check sum you're done. Just power off the Rotel and flip the switches back to normal and power on the Rotel again. It should power up normally..if not repeat the download process.

3. In HyperTerminal, using XP, how do I instruct the computer to use a Window's 98 environment?
                          I'm not at home on my XP box but if its like Win2000 simply navigate to Hyperterminal from Start > Program Files > Communications > Hyperminal and then right click on it and choose properties. You should see a tab on the top to choose Compatibility...from there you'll be able to choose the Windoes 98 mode.

Comment

• Danbry39
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Sep 2002

Thanks a lot Andrew. You are so helpful to all of us by sharing your information. Now, I feel confident enough to at least give it a try.

Keith
                            Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

That's what we're all here for

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Bump

Comment

• John LaCava
                                  • Sep 2002

I have made my own cable as per the instructions:
                                  3 (TX, stripe green) RJ45 to 2 (RX) RS232
                                  5 (RX, stipe blue) RJ45 to 3 (TX) RS232
                                  4 and 6 (GND, solid blue and solid green) RJ45 twisted to 5 (GND) RS232

but when I fire up hyperterminal I get a bunch of crap:
                                  -B CD CAM i-B CD CAM -B CD CAM 3/4

just like when I tried using a crossover cable with RS232 adapter.

I'm using hyperterminal on winXp set to windows 98 environment.

Some help please, because I'm gone poke my eyes out with the soldering iron if I can't get this to work.

Cheers,
                                  John

Comment

• John LaCava
                                    • Sep 2002

And it gives me the same crap whether the Software Upgrade dip switches are in the up or down position.

ARRRRGGGHHH

J

Comment

• John LaCava
                                      • Sep 2002

Ahh Haa

I figured it out. I stupidly was not turning the power all the way off, simply resuming from standby is not good enough, you must completely power down the unit. Now I am waiting 20 minutes for the transfer . Ahh well.

J

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

John XP is known to be much slower then 98 for some reason but glad you got it figured out.

Comment

• Lee
                                          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                                          John XP is known to be much slower then 98 for some reason but glad you got it figured out.
                                          The reason why XP might be slower then 98 is because the drivers that are writtten for certain programs, are no longer allowed to take direct access to the hardware. I don't know how to explain it any better then that. It's controlled more by the operating system, XP has solved most of the incompatibilities that NT/2000 had. (This is why NT/2000/XP are such stable operating systems)

Comment

• Claude D D
                                            • Jan 2003

the PC will want a male DB9 connector
                                            My PC has a male serial connecter not a female.So a person should check before they make their cable.I'm just glad I didn't tear apart my system before trying to connect the upgrade cable.

Comment

• justin
                                              • Feb 2003

I made the same mistake too and bought a male serial connector for my update cable. My computer has a male connector . I should have checked first and then made 1 trip to radioshack. Good advise. Look first then run only once!

Jus

Taking it one day at a time. Life moves quick.
                                              Jus

Taking it one day at a time. Life moves quick.

Comment

• mazuly
                                                • Feb 2003

Also make sure that your laptop doesn't go to standby when you’re uploading the firmware. It happened to me today, because I was running the laptop on battery and forgot to change my power options in the control panel.

I had to reload the firmware for the second time after I gave myself a scare when RSP-1066 refused to turn on.

Maziar

Comment

• Claude D D
                                                  • Jan 2003

Successful upgrade to fireware 2.25.After the first attempt to install the firmware my RSP-1066 would not even power up.I didn't panic (OK maybe a little)and re-ran the program and voila new firmware.Everything is cool. :LOL:

Comment

• soopa
                                                    • May 2003

Andrew, you should edit your original post to include the link to the 2.x software that you have on your website here

I went ahead and upgraded me 2.x 1055 to the latest 1.x firmware in your download link above. hehe.

Upgrading to the correct firmware now.

Oh, the making of the cable went flawless. That radioshack part is sweet... alot easier then cutting up a serial cable as well as the ethernet cable. 8)

Comment

• brotherMaX
                                                      • Dec 2002

I did upgrade my 1055 to the 2.x version on the weekend and it went fine except the blue LED wouldn't come on. That kind ticked me off - I do like my "Blue Eye" receiver. Yetserday, the LED came on by itself (I guess it came back from hybernation ).
                                                      BTW, I ended up ordering the cable from ROTEL for $12 delivered...very good deal.

Comment

• Scarp
                                                        • Mar 2003

My RSP1066 had the upgrade cable already in the box
                                                        It seems that they figure that sending cables later on is more expensive than just giving them with the unit in the first place.

Comment

• TonyPTX
                                                          • Apr 2003

Didn't someone develop an interface to replace the Hyperterminal upgrade method? I've been looking for it here in the forum, ( I remember someone meantioning this) but can not find it.

Tony

"Those that don't know, don't know they don't know."
                                                          "Those that don't know, don't know they don't know."

Comment

• suyver
                                                            • Dec 2002

Is there anybody out there that has a photograph lying arround that shows what the cable required for the firmware upgrade looks like? I have a cable that I think is ok and I think it came with my Rotel 1066, but I'm not sure enough to risk it...

Cheers,
                                                            Freek Suyver.

Check out my home theater!
                                                            Check out my home theater!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Aug 2000

Didn't someone develop an interface to replace the Hyperterminal upgrade method? I've been looking for it here in the forum, ( I remember someone meantioning this) but can not find it.
                                                              I was working on one with another guy but we stopped since we couldn't get it working 100 percent and the hyperterminal method works ok...sure its not pretty but its not that hard either.

As for the cable if it came with your Rotel it ought to be the right one. It should have a serial connector on one end and a ethernet jack on the other (looks like a slightly larger phone jack)

Comment

• Austin
                                                                • Jun 2004

Hello,

Don't know if there are earlier thread about that, but I have a problem to upgrade my 1098.

Eprom update seems to be done, I mean I have follow all the instructions, and got no problem at all (the switch on the back panel is ON)

But the software update does not work.

The cable I use is the original one.
                                                                The version of HyperTerminal is the one Rotel recommend.

I follow all the instruction, but when I switch my 1098 on, here is the message I got :

SACD 50A SACD 50@

Of course I cannot do anything...

Does anyone got the same problem ?

Comment

• Olivier
                                                                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Austin
                                                                  Eprom update seems to be done, I mean I have follow all the instructions, and got no problem at all (the switch on the back panel is ON)

But the software update does not work.
                                                                  reading in the Rotel EPROM Update instructions.pfd : "... upgrade dip switches do NOT need to be on the ON position."
                                                                  Dunno if it would change sthg 4 you, Austin.

Rgds/Olivier

Comment

Working...
                                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                  Search Result for "|||"