X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

My review thread for the Rotel 1066

Alrighty then my long awaited Rotel RSP-1066 has arrvied and is now installed in my gear rack. I'll preface this review thread by saying that before the rotel 1066 I've owned a Rotel DD/DTS pre amp, HK receiver, Sony DB930, Denon 2800, Denon 3300 and lastly the Sony TA-E9000ES. In each case these were all used as pre amps with external amplification on some if not all channels. I must also point out that unfortunatly I sold the TA-E9000ES prior to moving into our new house so I have not listened to any thing else in my new dedicated HT room so please bare that in mind.

I originally thought that I'd buy the Outlaw 950 pre amp when the early beta testers started reporting their findings so put my Sony up for sale and surprise surprise it sold very quickly leaving me without a pre amp. This wasn't a big deal though since we were moving the following weeking and I'd be building a new dedicated room anyway so I though I'll just put my name on the outlaw waiting list and wait for it to arrive. Well fast forward a few weeks and the news the there are more delays in shipping the 950's so I start looking for alternatives just in case and I see a picture of the new Rotel's which looked fantastic and they had more or less the same features as the 950's. A quick call to my local dealer further got my excited since the price quote over the phone was too good to pass up so I put my name down for the first ones to come in. The bad news was that the black models were back ordered till at least the middle of June but the silver ones were due shortly so I said I'd take a silver one. Yesterday out of the blue two black models arrived at the warehouse so my dealer contacted me asking if I'd like one of those instead! Unfortunatly last night wasn't the best day for me to pick it up since my wife worked till 7:30 but I still managed to quickly race over and pick it up and install it last night. I haven't spent a lot of time with it yet esp in movies but I did get in dialed in and listened to some music so I'll report on the fit and finish for now and update this thread as I spend more time with it.

First impressions are positive. The last Rotel pre amp I bought came double boxed, unfortunatly this model did not which was a little bit of let down right of the bat. Packing inside the box however was solid and well laid out. They included two pairs of the complmentary interconnects that no one uses (or at least admits to) and the detatchable power cord. The remote is a universal learning model that can control up to 10 devices. Its very well laid out and has a rubbery feel to the plastic coating. Weight seems well placed as well so it fits in your hands quite well. Connecting all my interconnects was a breeze with the only exception being that the amp triggers (two 12volts) won't trigger my HK5800 amps on but that's not a fault of the Rotel but a mismatch of voltage requirements (HK needs 6 volt I believe) One thing that could be a sticking point for some is that there's only two optical inputs. I'll likely have both of these full with the CD jukebox and the DSS which both only offer optical. If you're DVD player is also a model with only optical out you might find yourself one short...of course it has four digital coax inputs which by all acounts are superior anyway but its something to consider.
    The fit and finsih of the Rotel is every bit as nice as the Sony with a nice solid feeling case and firm volume knob. If anything the volume knob is a little to firm but I rarely use any controls on the pre amp itself since I reply on my pronto most of the time.
    Rotel was nice enough to include a pronto CCF on their web site so buy the time I got the pre amp I'd already modified my CCF, a nice gesture by Rotel IMO and one that should be picked up by their competitors since the CCF includes many discrete codes not found on the OEM remote.
    The On Screen Display was intuitive and easy to follow and I only had to venture to the manual once to verify which channel CB1 was vs CB2 (rear left and rear right)
    Using Avia to calibrate the volumes for each channel was fairly easy though like so many other models you can't adjust the channel volumes with out engaging the pre amps own test tones so you have to toggle back and forth between Avia's tones and the pre amps to adjust the channel volumes. Its not that bad though since its only a few button clicks and by the time i was doing the rear channels I'd mastered it well enough that its not really an issue. Besides its not like I'll have to recalibrate to often. One thing I didn't like about the Rotel was seting up the delays between each channel. They are still using the older millisecond method where you have to mentally calculate the delay required based on the distances...not only that but you do it based on the longest speaker then set delays for all the other speakers that are closer...plus for speakers other then the centre you're limited to 5 foot increments which was absurd! In my case its not an issue since other then my side speakers the other 5 are all 10 feet away from the sweet spot...sides being 6 feet away. I much prefered Sony's method of simply entering in the distance to each speaker and having the processor figure out the required delays..for the average person setting up their first HT this would be far easier IMO.

The best volume display I've used was with the Denon's who use a negative dB scale with reference being 00. The Sony and Rotel both use a integer scale that increases positively with increased volume. Although this might seem more intuitive I prefer the negative dB scale esp since I can then set 00 to be reference. That said I was able to make 75 the reference level so at least that makes some sense for a reference scale. Speaking of the display IMO the Sony's was better since it was much larger and was dimable. The Rotels is smaller but the letters are larger and they scroll across the display which helps. The volume is also nice and large which was one thing that drove me nuts with the Denon's, unless you have eagle eyes its next to impossible to tell what volume you're at with a Denon.

As I said above I have not had chance to listen to any other pre amp in this new room so I can't compare sound quality vs the others I've used, maybe one of the local guys can bring over their processors and we'll compare them then but for now I'm pretty happy with the sound so far. I spent a little time with the various surround formats incl prologic II and DTS Neo etc and they worked fairly well though I haven't spent nearly enough time with them yet to make any firm comments on them.

More to come so check back soon!

FYI for those that are interested here's the owners manual from Rotel's site. IMO its one of the nicest manuals I've read

• Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Andrew, it sounds like you have a winner there! I'm definitely impressed. I'll be curious as to how you like it for music and movies, and how the DACs and analog bypass are, etc.

I like how they actually have more coax than optical inputs. I too prefer coax if given the choice. Unfortunately a lot of components, CD and MD decks in particular, are optical only. At this point that isn't a problem with my setup.

I do have a few questions though:

Does the 1066 have a digital output, say to connect a MD recorder? (It looks like it does when I look at the back panel PDF on the website)

Is the volume control mechanical or electronic? In other words, does the knob turn when you use the remote to change volume?

Does it have discrete codes for us Pronto geeks? (I bet it does or else you wouldn't have bought it )

Do all analog inputs have a bypass mode like on the 950, or do you have to use the 5.1 channel inputs for analog bypass? Is there any bass management/subwoofer output/double bass issues with the bypass mode like on the 950?

Can it be set up for 6.1 (as in one center surround speaker) as opposed to two?

I have other questions but I'll poke around Rotel's website for the answers!

Enjoy your piece of equipment! I'm officially jealous! :B

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Kevin our can download the user manual from the rotel site that will answer most of your questions. IMO the manual is very well written and helpfull.

Yes there are digital outs...from the manual

Digital Outputs
      The RSP-1066 has a digital output (with a choice
      of coaxial or optical connectors) to send the
      digital signal from any of the five digital inputs
      to a digital recorder or outboard digital
      processor. When a digital input source signal
      is selected for listening, that signal is automatically
      sent to both digital outputs for recording
      or outboard processing.
      NOTE: Only digital signals from source components
      are available at these outputs. Analog
      signals cannot be converted and are not
      available at the digital outputs.

I'll check the volume tonight

Not positive on the bass management on the multi inputs but I don't think it has any (bonus point goes to the outlaw for that)

It does have discrete on and off codes as well as some discrete processing modes as well...I'll be trying them out over the next few days.

It can be set up as for 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 speaker systems

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

I downloaded and read the manual, it looks like it has some nice features. I didn't see any mention of analog bypass however. I assume this means you have to use the 6.1 direct inputs for analog bypass, right? The 950 has a bypass mode on all the analog inputs.

Whatcha thoughts on this?

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

This is from the rotel manual

2CH Button
          Press this button to activate conventional 2-
          speaker stereo mode with no surround sound
          or other processing. This is “pure” stereo, using
          the front left and front right speakers (with
          or without subwoofer), with no surround channels
          and no center channel.
          When used with Dolby Digital or DTS source
          material, the 2CH button engages a downmix
          feature, combining all of the channels and sending
          them to the front speakers. The spatial effects of
          surround sound are lost, but all of the information
          on the original recording are preserved.
          NOTE: 2CH mode allows you to hear 2-channel
          stereo recordings in their original format
          using the analog inputs.

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

But does that 2ch mode bypass the ADC and DAC? I think it still hits the digital stage, even if it isn't doing any special processing, for bass management if nothing else.

On my Outlaw 1050, I can select Stereo mode with no processing, but it still takes a trip through the DSP. The only way to pass a pure analog signal through (think SACD or DVD-A) is via the 5.1 direct inputs. The 950 has a bypass mode that can be selected on any of the analog inputs to bypass the digital stage, for the main speakers anyway (the DSP still does bass management though).

I'll be interested to hear how the Rotel's DACs sound, compared to the DACs in your Sony 7700. According to Mike Knapp, the 950's DACs sound very similar to the DVP-S9000ES's DACs for redbook.

At this point it looks like the 950 might be the better choice for me, but if the 1066 has superior sound (I've heard reports of it being warmer/less bright than the 950) I may lean in that direction.

So far, the 1066 pros appear to be:

Warmer/less harsh sound
            More coaxial digital inputs
            HDCD and MP3 decoding (I don't care about this)
            Pure 5.1 direct input
            Ability to have different speaker/sub levels for different modes (DD, DTS, DPLII, Stereo, etc.)
            Lower noise floor (reportedly)
            Faster locking onto digital signals

950 pros include:

Built-in tuner (a pro for me, since my wife listens to the radio all the time!)
            Analog bypass available on all inputs
            Bass management available on 5.1 input (could be a pro or a con, since it isn't 100% defeatable)

Oh well, since I won't be able to afford to upgrade for a while anyway, there'll be plenty of reviews and comparisons down the road anyway. I could always get one of each, try both, and return the inferior one.

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Kevin it looks like the analog bypass mode functions the same way as the 950's does...the only exception being that the outlaw has that 80hz cross over on the 5.1 inputs if you want to engage it.

6.1 inputs = no bass mgt
              small speakers = global crossover (high pass and low pass)
              large speakers = full signal bass doubled to sub only if sub is set to MAX
              analog pass = full signal to mains and mirrored signal lowpassed digitally and sent to sub

Comment

• Kevin P
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                analog pass = full signal to mains and mirrored signal lowpassed digitally and sent to sub
                Where do you see this on the 1066? The 2CH mode?

Originally posted by Rotel manual
                2CH mode allows you to hear 2-channel stereo recordings in their original format using the analog inputs.
                This is all I found in the manual that would indicate the possibility of true analog bypass on inputs other than multi. But it isn't clearly defined--it could still be hitting the DSP.

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Kevin that was a cut and paste from a 1066 owner that's tested the modes and spoken to a Rotel rep..I'm fairly positive its accurate information

Comment

• SiliGoose
                    • Aug 2000

Rotel was nice enough to include a pronto CCF on their web site so buy the time I got the pre amp I'd already modified my CCF
                    LOL!
                    I'm in the process of doing the same thing for the Anthem. I'm still not 100% sure I'll even buy the Anthem but thought I'd integrate Anthem's complementary .ccf into my own.

Happy to hear you finally got your Rotel. I look forward to reading your thoughts on its performance once you've lived with it a while.

-Sili
                    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Here's a quick pic I snapped of the new gear rack.

On the right there's two HK 5800 5 channel amps with the Sony 300 disc CD changer below that. On the left there's the 1066 pre amp with the Sony 7700 DVD/CD player below it and the Panasonic VCR on the bottom. The Turntable is on the bottom but isn't plugged in yet.

Not sure why this image looks so lopsided I assure you its straight in person

Comment

• efarstad
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jun 2001

:T

Can't wait.....

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                        E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                        E-Cinema

Comment

• Kevin P
                          • Aug 2000

Pr@, check out this thread on HTF. Have you experienced this with your 1066?

Just wondering...

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

I haven't noticed anything too unusual with mine yet. It does sometimes have to re autosense the signal if switching chapters with a DVD but its very quick and not really an issue for me. I'll be spending a lot more time with mine this weekend though so I'll report back should I find anything worth noting.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                              • Jan 2002

Congrats Andrew.

You know I'm gonna be interested in the comparison between your former Sony and the new Rotel. Mainly as far as movies are concerned....since I'm mainly a DVD man.

The rack is looking good.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

I've now watched harry potter and briget jones dairy all the way though on the rotel as well as lots of demo's so I'm getting more accustomed to its abilities. First thing I'll say is that 7.1 rocks even on 5.1 movies its simply much more enveloping in my room then what 5.1 is. The Rotel XS processing seems to have no problems using all 7 speakers even on 5.1 movies and with Harry Potter there were moments that it was fantastic (quiditch match and the flying keys)

I did some listening tests between the DAC's in my Sony 7700 DVD/CD player and those in the Rotel and they are much more similar then different. If it werent for the fact that the 7700 seems to have slightly more bass I doubt I could tell them apart...though that might have something to do with the transports given the rotel was being fed optically from my Sony 300 disc CD jukebox....either way I'm happy with the sound of either DAC.

Comment

• Joe M
                                  • Jun 2002

Auto-detect:
                                  Taken from HTF forum:

"A BIG disappointment. It is no different in this area from the RSP-976. It is not uncommon at all for beginnings of chapters of DVD's to get lopped off- it also shares with the 976 the same occasional pops and other unpleasant noises experienced during chapter changes."

Andrew, I know you commented on this earlier, but after spending some more time with the 1066 have you noticed any of these problems. Thanks for any info.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Joe so far I've noticed it a little but not very often and not enough to be a bother...really its not any worse then the Sony or Denon I had before...PS welcome to the forum Joe!

Quick hint for those using pronto's. If you want direct access to DTS:NEO simply program a macro to select 7 chnl stereo then pause for 0.3 seconds then select the Surround button. You can download my CCF from my website if you want to see what it looks like etc.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                      • Jan 2002

So Andrew, now that you watched a few movies, is the Rotel a little better or a lot better than your Sony was?

Be honest now! (Of course I know you would be nothing but...)

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask, why was it that you decided to change, was it just upgrade fever or was to get to 7.1? I know you always seemed happy with the Sony before. The pricing seems comparable or at least compared to when the Sony was new.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Sonnie what prompted me to upgrade was that back when I lived in the apartment we had the jukebox on random mode for hours on end while we putzed around etc. Now that the HT is in the basement we no longer have access to our CD collection so I wanted to have the ability to do a second zone which isn't something the Sony can do. I'm also somewhat interested in adding SACD or DVD-A so having analog by modes was a nice feature.

Now that I've listened to the Rotel the thing I'm most pleased about is the 7.1 modes...it simply is fantastic! Granted in my apartment my rears in my 5.1 setup were only 4 feet away but with the new rig the surrounds are far more natural and the rear sound stage seems much deeper...Also the sound in the second row of seating is much nicer in 7.1 then 5.1.

Sonically its hard to compare the two since my maggies sound very different in the new room then they did in the old one so I can't really compare them. I can comment on the features though and in some ways the Sony was superior. Where the Sony rules is the display was better and setup was easier in some regards. Although the Sony lacked the on screen display it was pretty easy to set each channel's level while running test tones from Avia...on the rotel you must toggle b/t Avia and the pre amps internal tones. Also setting delays was implented correctly in the Sony where you simply had to enter the distance to each speaker and it would calculate the delays where with the Rotel you have to manually enter the delays for each speaker...a minor point but IMO there's no reason not to use the more simple Sony method. The Sony had better cross over features as well given you can adjust the cross over point in single Hz increments where the Rotel only offers 40, 60, 80, 100 and 120...thats adequate for most but still lacking compared to the Sony. Unlike the Sony though the Rotels remote is actually useable...not that it will get me to abandon my pronto but it will do ok in the second zone...the sony's on the other hand was an expensive paper weight :roll:

The build quality seems a little higher on the Sony (copper back plate) and more weight on the Sony but the Rotel's built very solidly as well just not quite up to the flagship Sony ES level.

Warrenty wise the Rotel offers a longer warrenty up here (5 year standard) where sony ES are only 3 years up here...in the US this would be moot though since both offer the same 5 year warrenty.

I did get a chance to compare the DAC's in my Sony 7700 CD/DVD player with those in the Rotels and it was very close...maybe a slight edge in bass to the Sony but nothing to get to excited about. I'm planning on doing some more listening though before I comment to much further given some other changes in my gear that could occur soon.

Comment

• markkjr
                                          • Sep 2001

Ok, as I mentioned above, I was up late last night and I have been up since 3:30am comparing both the 950 and the 1066:

Proof I have both side-by-side you say? Here you go:

Click URL HERE and Click URL HERE for large images.

Let’s start with the infamous “hiss”. This comparison test has shed some new light on this “hiss” problem, both my Newcastle R945 and the Outlaw 950 exhibited a fair amount of hiss when the ear is close to the speaker (1”-4”), now the Rotel 1066 has no, not-a, zipp-o, zero hiss at all with my ear ON the tweeter. This I like. I do believe Outlaw has an issue here after doing this comparison and I hope they make some sort of statement about it as the hiss is definitely there compared to the 1066 and anyone/everyone is more then welcome to stop by and I will show you the difference in the hiss.

Sound:….. OK then, onto the most important part, the sound: Both units sound very, very good and sound almost identical, with the Outlaw sounding a bit “brighter” then the 1066. The 950 might also have a bit more detail (my guess would be because of the DAC’s) but after switching back and for between the two units in 2-channel stereo using the digital output from the CD changer, I could not discern much difference if any. With 5.1/7.1, I also could not tell between the two units except with Gladiator in DTS-EX mode, it seemed a little “brighter” with the 950. Both units blow me away when watching all my favorite demo scenes from the best DVD’s. I can tell you it is not much fun switching cables back and fourth between them and trying to listen very closely to each unit while remembering the previous ones sound. I like the sound of both units and I think just about anyone would agree they both sound very good.

Look and feel:… well this is a very personal preference, I actually like the volume control knob on the 950 better then the 1066! Not so much how it looks but the feel… the 1066 is very stiff were the 950 is free turning. I also like the “db” method of volume control over the 0-90 scale on the 1066. as for all the other buttons, I like the 1066 buttons over the 950’s as they do not feel “loose” or move around a lot like the 950 buttons do. I like the display on the front of the 1066 over the 950’s but I like the OSD of the 950 over the 1066’s. For over all looks I like the Rotel but again this is a personal preference and should just not be regarded to highly as sound should come first (unless you like to show off your gear to your friends when they stop over).

Remotes:….. The 1066’s RR-969 is pretty cool to say the least and has a LCD display… but I use a AMX control system for my HT so I am not sure how much use the RR-969 will get but it looks like it will control everything in my HT. I would say if you did not have a good universal remote then this one would fit the bill.

Usability:…. I would have to give the node to the 950 for easy of use. It is very intuitive to setup and I did not even have to look at the manual once. The 1066 seemed a bit more complex but since I am a electronics/computer junky it only took a little longer and a few posts from some good people here at the HTF to get things setup right. I would have to say that those with less techno-know-how would find the 950 easier to setup and use then the 1066. YMMV.

Connections:…. Well the main reason(s) I picked up the 1066 was that is has an RS232 connection and also dual sub outputs. The 950 has 2 coax and 4 optical digital inputs versus the 3 coax and 2 optical inputs on the 1066. I am glad for the 3 coax’s on the 1066 as I now actually have 3 digital coax devices thanks to the MyHD card I just installed in my HTPC so I am all filled up with digital thanks to my MiniDisc and CD players optical digital outputs. I also like the location of the amplifier line outputs on the 1066, they are on the left hand side looking at the back of the unit which makes them line up with the XLR connectors on my QSC amps better. The 1066 also has dual center channel outputs but I am not sure that will get much use as I read that having dual front center speakers can cause a problem? How knows, but I may give it a try when I move into a large HT room. Both units have detachable power cords and they are both back panels are laid out just ok In regards to the center rears speakers, Rotel uses CB1 and CB2 (center back??) were Outlaw used “Surround Back” for the labeling which I think I like better.

Upgradeability:…. Well everyone knows the story here…. 950=no, 1066=yes. I will be performing this upgrade tomorrow and I am sure since others here on the forum have already performed the upgrades that it will work with no problem. I think this is a very, very BIG plus for Rotel and a BIG over-site by Outlaw… but that is just my opinion.

Tuner:…. Well everyone also knows the 1066 does not have one. The 950’s FM section works very well but the AM does not work so hot . I am not a big OTA music listener (hate commercials) but if you are then you may want to look at the 950 closer then the 1066 or look at shelling out a few $100 more for a good tuner (or $12-$19 for an old, used Kenwood FM tuner at your local Cash Converters)

Other know issues:…. Bit stream out detection. Both take about the same time locking on to the digital bit steam with the 950 being a tad (milliseconds) longer. The 950 has a problem with going from DTS CD’s back to 2-channel CD’s and will go into DPL-II –C mode were the 1066 works fine but has stayed in DTS mode when it should have switched back to stereo mode twice now. I have reported this problem to Outlaw but they have not gotten back to me except with an email 2 weeks ago saying: “We have received your question and are currently formulating a response. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.”. The 1066 currently does not detect the EX bit stream but the software upgrade is report to fix this problem and I will update this section of the review after I perform the upgrade tomorrow.

Conclusion:…. Well if you only have $899 and just can not budge from that amount then the Outlaw is the Pre/Pro for you. Believe me; you will be happy with the sound you get from the 950. However… if you can fork out a $450 (or there a bout’s) and do not care about FM radio then I personally would purchase the 1066 as “I” believe it is worth the extra money to have software upgradeability.

YMMV!

Either way it is great to see Pre/Pro’s with such great sound at such great prices! Life for us HT crazed folks has gotten better and cheaper!

Enjoy!!!!

-Mark
                                          Home Theater Specialist
                                          www.digitalvortex.com
                                          -Mark
                                          Home Theater Specialist
                                          www.digitalvortex.com

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

thanks for taking the time to compare these two mark...and good to know you like the Rotel

Comment

• Joe M
                                              • Jun 2002

Good Morning Everyone

Finally decided and picked up my 1066 yesterday. I didnt't get home until real late last night so I don't even have it hooked up yet. As soon as I get a chance to put it through its paces I will give you guys a report.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2000

Welcome to the Rotel club joe!

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                  • Jan 2002

Welcome Joe and Mark..... seeing a lot of new members floating around in the different forums now.

Great comparison Mark. I have been tossing around the idea of changing pre/pros. As for now, I think I may wait a while. My Sony has me spoiled I guess.... and lazy too! lol

Andrew, I may have missed this somewhere, but is the Rotel upgradeable like the Sony? You mentioned the crossover comparison. You know I don't think the Sony originally had as many crossover points with the original software version. Maybe Rotel will upgrade this if it's upgradeable.

I really want to upgrade to 7.1 at some point in time. I just keep hoping Sony will come out with a new 7.1 pre/pro similar to the 9000. If they don't, it sounds like the Rotel may be the way to go. But then again....... I'm pretty patient.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

Sonnie yes the rotel is upgradable and rotel has already released at least two new firmwares for free so far to fix bugs etc. I know some of Sony's were free but the majority were expensive. Hopefully Rotel keeps up the great work they have been doing so far with this model.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                      • Jan 2002

Yeah, the initial package I got for the Sony upgrades was high. But, I did get a more funcitonal mini remote that could be used to program functions into my learning remote (very useful). As far as any new upgrades, I'll just pic them off the net, so hopefully they will not cost me in the future.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2000

Sonnie that new remote was just a bug fix IMO since the original LCD thing was horrendous :roll: You are correct though you can pick up the updates for free if you know where to look but offically you're supposed to pay for them....that's if they even get released in north america without a large email campaign having to be made...

Comment

• Lex
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Apr 2001

Hopefully Rotel keeps up the great work they have been doing so far with this model.
                                                          As I recall, this is not Rotel's first foray into this market. They did have one other attempt, that rather much fell flat of the mark. But I could be wrong. I am sure they learned from that, if my memory served me correctly.

Lex
                                                          Doug
                                                          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Aug 2000

Lex I'm not sure I'd call their THX pre amp not a success nor would I call thier last HT pre amp a bad model either. Sure the last one had a few bugs in it regarding DTS but those were cleaned up as far as I know.

Comment

• Joe M
                                                              • Jun 2002

MHO on the Rotel RSP 1066:

System: Rotel 1095/1066(DX Model), B&W604S2,LCR6S2,Paradigm PDR 12, Marantz 4000OSE, Sony DVP NC650V, JVC36D800, Panamax 5100, Tara Lab speaker wire/Tara & Monster interconnects.

I replaced my Yamaha 795 with the 1066 and WOW what a differece. 2 channel music (CD and SACD) sound really good, music is much more defined in all aspects (whether it be highs, lows or spatial imaging) I am very happy with 2 channel performance. I have my CD player connected digitally.
                                                              I only had a chance to watch about 40 minutes of Vertical Limit (the movie is way far fetched but the sound is great) in DD and all of From Hell in DTS. No compalints at all,(so far I haven't had any sound dropouts) I am estatic with the performance of the 1066. It does a much better job redirecting bass then my 795 (I have the crossover set at 60 and it seems to be working smoothly) it almost sounds like I have a new subwoofer. When watching Vertical Limit I noticed much more detail in my rear channels then when I was using the Yam. as a preamp.
                                                              I love being able to save different sub settings rather then turning down the volume manually on my sub every time I watch a movie or listen to music. I have played around with DPL2 while watching sporting events, DTS NEO, and 5 channel stereo with music they all seem to work pretty well, but I need to experiment some more. The remote is effective but I'm still hopeful on getting a Pronto for my B-DAY I do not hear any hiss from my listening position, I need to be 6 inches or closer to hear any.
                                                              I do have a few complaints... 1. It would be nice to be able to configure certain things without having to use the On-Screen-Display, 2. crossover settings for the Multi input, 3. to be able to shut off the input source selected for recording from the display. But overall I love this unit!!!! This review is obviously just MHO I am by no means an expert(as you can tell)just someone who loves great sound at a fair price

Comment

• Lex
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Apr 2001

Doug
                                                                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                Search Result for "|||"