• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Two sci-fis ending in “ence”

“Transcendence” (2014)

A dying scientist has his mind sucked into a computer and then proceeds to take over the world.

This film had an interesting start but went nowhere. I think the writer had a puff or a snort one night, came up with a bright idea, and then tried to turn his bright idea into a full story the next day. He clearly needed another puff or snort because the end result is a disconnected mishmash of non-contiguous ideas.

In summary, don’t make the mistake I did by watching this crap.

“Coherence” (2014)

A comet passes Earth and 8 thirty somethings at a dinner party start behaving strangely.

This film was far more interesting, especially to people who believe in the existence of the multiverse.

In summary, watch this one unless you’ve got something really good queued up. No, that’s unfair. Watch it anyway.

Nigel.
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Pretty much echoes what I wrote about Transcendence in the DVD forum:

Visually stunning in places (as could be expected from a film directed by long-time Christopher Nolan cinematographer Wally Pfister), with an intriguing premise and quality actors on hand. However, it lacks substance. Raises a number of interesting ideas about artificial intelligence and the concept of immortality but leaves them un- or underdeveloped. Not a horrible film but not one I'll revisit nor one anyone need take a detour to see.

Will keep an eye out for the other one.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"