X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fizzking
    • Aug 2004

Yamaha DSP A1 as amplifier help

Hey guys, as part of my up I have just purchased a new pre processor. I want my old yamaha A1 to power my new processor. Where should the volumn be on the yamaha as this effects the output on my speakers. I want to control the listening volumn through the processor. Should the Yamaha volume be up high or down low or even in the middle.

If anyone can help it would be appreciated.
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Fitzking,

Firstly - I would strongly recommend against continuing to use the Yamaha A1's amplifiers - they are relatively limited in current driving capability etc and simply will; not do justice to your new Krell Pre Processor. If it all possible - nip right back to that store, trade in your A1 (or sell it separately) and buy yourself 5 or 7 channels of separate amplification. Here you will have a large range to choose from, ranging from Rotel at the lower end to Krell, Bryston etc at the higher end.... Right now you have an unbalanced system that (IMO) will be wasting a lot of the potential of the Krell.... It would IMO be near criminal to leave the system like that for any extended period of time...

Now - assuming that this amplifier upgrade is simply out of the question in the short term, you need to use the 5.1 inputs in the A1 and set the A1 volume at around the middle to 3/4 level - this will allow the Krell to drive the A1 to maximum volume if needed without the A1's pre-amplifier also generating too much extra hiss and him.... You should then use the Krell Volume control to calibrate for reference...

Geoff

Comment

• fizzking
      • Aug 2004

I agree

Hey Geoff,

This is more of a long term project for me. I only have limited funds I can spend on my beloved HT. I will probably be getting a amp in the next 12 months. I have done some spending on my upgrades lately including 50 inch pioneer plasma. I have to stop somewhwere. The new Krell is fantastic.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"