X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ac81017
    • Aug 2006

I´ve tested the new b&W 804/5 Di and???

Well I guess all the reviews in the magazines are right. I thought the new Di series was mostly about, it´s to change the looks and raise the price! Yes it´s partly true.

I was at my local swedish hificlub yesterday, they had the 804 and 805di on demo. So I used my Roger waters "Amused to death & Stockfisch closer to the music cd"

First i listened to the 804di, the only thing about the hifiklubben is that there demo room is really bad and so were the electronics. A Nad stereo amplifier and a Nad cd player. The was impressed how the 804di had come to life, more open, better stereo seperation and 3D image. The old 804S sounded ok but very laid back. I then tested the 805di, Woooooow. so much has changed compaired to the old 805N. They sounded more open than the 804di. The bass was tight and hard. The 805di have a lot of air. the diamond tweeter was a real treat. As i said earlyer the Nad eletronics was a poor show. If only they had a pre and power amp of some kind then i think i would have been in shock! The 805di is really an amazing speaker, i´ve not heard anything like this for a long time. I also tested Mcintosh, Dynoaudio, Wilson audio watt puppy 5, and many other high end speakers. I even tested the super B&o speaker from out of space with there 15inch basses. B&o should stick to design and not sound.

I might one day sell my modified 801 series 80 for a pair of 805Di and a sub, I have a large living room, and i like 12inch bass speakers to deliver the low end, even thought they can be hard to control, so far only a watkins bass does the job for me along with a nuclear power station to enable me to control it, or keep it tight and hard without any booom booom.

Hope this review is of any help????

My point is, if your looking for a new speaker with that extra something, a speaker that opens your mind and ears then the new Di series will do just that.

:T
  • azazel
    • Dec 2010

I used to have matrix 801s3 and then changed for N805 sigs and a sub. It just didnt sound integrated so I got some N802 and use the subs for HT

Comment

• emig5m
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by ac81017
      First i listened to the 804di, the only thing about the hifiklubben is that there demo room is really bad and so were the electronics. A Nad stereo amplifier and a Nad cd player. The was impressed how the 804di had come to life, more open, better stereo seperation and 3D image. The old 804S sounded ok but very laid back. I then tested the 805di, Woooooow. so much has changed compaired to the old 805N. They sounded more open than the 804di. The bass was tight and hard. The 805di have a lot of air. the diamond tweeter was a real treat. As i said earlyer the Nad eletronics was a poor show. If only they had a pre and power amp of some kind then i think i would have been in shock! The 805di is really an amazing speaker, i´ve not heard anything like this for a long time. I also tested Mcintosh, Dynoaudio, Wilson audio watt puppy 5, and many other high end speakers. I even tested the super B&o speaker from out of space with there 15inch basses. B&o should stick to design and not sound.
      "They sounded more open than the 804di" - So you're saying that the 805S is better performing than the three way tower with a dedicated FST midrange? I'm finding it hard to believe.... "more open" even in the mid-range or is it that you just weren't expecting it to be so good for it's size and possibly expecting a little more out of the 804 which added a little bias?

I know I thought the 685 was amazing and was actually initially more impressive than even the 683 because I wasn't expecting it to be so good for it's size...simply amazing the little 685s are when a good sweet spot is dialed in. But that doesn't the change the fact that the 683 just clearly pulled away in the ever so important midrange with the dedicated FST mids... Of course they can also play louder, bigger soundstage, deeper&harder hitting bass (which isn't much of a problem if you crossover to a sub) etc... But the 685 still impresses more when you factor in price/size. You just don't expect a little dinky bookshelf speaker to sound and perform so good....

So... if you where in the market for the new Di's and it was between the 805/804, what one would you pick? I know I would pick the best performing that I could afford although I think a system that looks less impressive (high performing bookshelfs) but then blows you away and catches you off gaurd (kinda like this lady did here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxPZh...eature=related) is kinda neat to have...hehe. :lol:

Comment

• ac81017
        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by emig5m
        "They sounded more open than the 804di" - So you're saying that the 805S is better performing than the three way tower with a dedicated FST midrange? I'm finding it hard to believe.... "more open" even in the mid-range or is it that you just weren't expecting it to be so good for it's size and possibly expecting a little more out of the 804 which added a little bias?

I know I thought the 685 was amazing and was actually initially more impressive than even the 683 because I wasn't expecting it to be so good for it's size...simply amazing the little 685s are when a good sweet spot is dialed in. But that doesn't the change the fact that the 683 just clearly pulled away in the ever so important midrange with the dedicated FST mids... Of course they can also play louder, bigger soundstage, deeper&harder hitting bass (which isn't much of a problem if you crossover to a sub) etc... But the 685 still impresses more when you factor in price/size. You just don't expect a little dinky bookshelf speaker to sound and perform so good....

So... if you where in the market for the new Di's and it was between the 805/804, what one would you pick? I know I would pick the best performing that I could afford although I think a system that looks less impressive (high performing bookshelfs) but then blows you away and catches you off gaurd (kinda like this lady did here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxPZh...eature=related) is kinda neat to have...hehe. :lol:
        The 804 has always been a laid back speaker, more for classical music or old men that just want to sit and realx with some piano noise in the background. The 805di really came to life. I tested the 804di first and then the 805di. I wasn´t expecting much from the 805s after listening to the 804s. but i have to say i was in shock trying to process all the sound and detail flooding into my ears. I can´t tell you which is best becuase of my number 1 rule when it comes to music!!! We all here and like our music in different ways, so it´s your own ears that decide! :-)

Comment

• beden1
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by ac81017
          The 804 has always been a laid back speaker, more for classical music or old men that just want to sit and realx with some piano noise in the background. The 805di really came to life. I tested the 804di first and then the 805di. I wasn´t expecting much from the 805s after listening to the 804s. but i have to say i was in shock trying to process all the sound and detail flooding into my ears. I can´t tell you which is best becuase of my number 1 rule when it comes to music!!! We all here and like our music in different ways, so it´s your own ears that decide! :-)
          The laws of physics would select the 804Di as a more complete speaker over the 805Di, except possibly, if you are in a small room like a bedroom.

Your comment of "old men that just want to relax with some piano noise in the background", IMO, speaks volumes about your character, and would certainly negate any opinions that you may espouse!

Comment

• Grasynoll
            • Mar 2006

"old men that just want to relax with some piano noise in the background"

puerile

Comment

• emig5m
              • Aug 2008

Interesting. I listen to a wide range of music with my 804S - including heavy metal, rock, rap, and even hip-hop. Heck, one of my favorite demo songs is Will Smith's Wild Wild West which has some good hard hitting dance club bass and is well recorded for pop music. I also use them for home theater and think they excel everywhere sound reproduction is needed including Xbox 360 gaming.

Comment

• dspgolf
                • May 2010

Will Smith that's painful. Are you serious?

Comment

• emig5m
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by dspgolf
                  Will Smith that's painful. Are you serious?
                  Some people are very specific with what type of music they listen to like my father for example - he's very specific as he only listens to and likes classic rock. He considers everything else not true music and despises it. Some people like only heavy metal while others like only opera. Myself, I'm a lover of most all types of music. I can be listening to Hayley Westenra one minute, and then Rob Zombie the next.... I have a hard time disliking any kind of music except country in which I really can't stand. I really think country is worse than gangster rap, lol... :lol:

Comment

• style
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Feb 2006

Hi,

B&W with the 805DI and the 804DI have "place" 2 great jolly in the speaker program!
                    they are the more big "surprise" in perfomance but the 804DI is the more complety and great speaker: I agree with beden1.

The 804DI is the top speaker a really big jump from the 804S....

the 805DI and stand is very expensive from the new Diamont serie, the 804DI is without doubt the more sense purchasing for me. :T

style

Comment

• scanido
                      • Apr 2006

Went to the Dealer to help my bro select some new speakers. Was only demoing the CM series as that is what he could afford, but we came across the new 804di and lucky enough they had a 804S that was traded in so decided to demo them both. Not sure what preamp was used, but the amps were the larger MC501, possibly overkill for this type speaker, but both speakers handled them well.

We began by playing Alicia Keys - No One. This song I like because right off the bat you can discern how the bass is of a speaker. As well, it has good use of the treble.

I didn't spend too much time and only compared a few tracks but in summary I felt the 804S sounded more round and full in the bass. The 804Di in comparison sounded as full as the 804S but noticeably more punchy and detailed. At the end of a bass note the 804Di felt sharper and this could be felt. The mids I felt were harder to discern any differences and could be slightly better, but then this could be from the diamond tweeter.

Where the substantial differences came was in the openness and coherency of the sound from the 804di. The new diamond tweeter sounded very smooth yet more detailed. Both speakers were able to handle the MC501s with ease and show no fatigue, even at higher SPLs. It was at the higher SPLs though where the 804Di excelled. They seemed to sound cleaner and less muddied as the volume went up.

This audition has made me upgrade all my speakers from the "S" line to the new diamonds. They are that good!!!

Comment

• stuofsci02
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Nov 2009

Scanido,

Where were you auditioning?

Cheers,

Stuart
                        Main System:
                        B&W 801D
                        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                        Oppo BDP-105
                        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                        B&W CM7
                        Emotiva UMC-1
                        Emotiva UPA-2
                        Oppo BDP-83SE
                        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• scanido
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by stuofsci02
                          Scanido,

Where were you auditioning?

Cheers,

Stuart
                          Speakershop in buffalo

Comment

• stuofsci02
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by scanido
                            Speakershop in buffalo
                            Oh.. Ok.. So not local...

Are you actually upgrading to Di speakers?
                            Main System:
                            B&W 801D
                            Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                            Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                            Oppo BDP-105
                            Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                            B&W CM7
                            Emotiva UMC-1
                            Emotiva UPA-2
                            Oppo BDP-83SE
                            Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• scanido
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by stuofsci02
                              Oh.. Ok.. So not local...

Are you actually upgrading to Di speakers?
                              Have a pair of the new 802's on the way to replace my trusty pair of 803S!! :B

It was only after reading The Absolute Sound review and then auditioning the 804di that sold me. I had no intention of replacing my 803S at all, but the sound of the new 804Di was that good to make me take the leap to the 802Di!!

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Nov 2009

Did you buy them from the place in Buffalo?
                                Main System:
                                B&W 801D
                                Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                Oppo BDP-105
                                Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                B&W CM7
                                Emotiva UMC-1
                                Emotiva UPA-2
                                Oppo BDP-83SE
                                Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Rod#S
                                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by scanido
                                  Have a pair of the new 802's on the way to replace my trusty pair of 803S!! :B

It was only after reading The Absolute Sound review and then auditioning the 804di that sold me. I had no intention of replacing my 803S at all, but the sound of the new 804Di was that good to make me take the leap to the 802Di!!
                                  I see you are from Canada, if you are buying them from here are you able to disclose the price of the 802Dis?

Thanks
                                  B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"