Too many good deals, which should I get for my 12’x12’ sq feet room?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • uncledan
    • Apr 2006

Too many good deals, which should I get for my 12’x12’ sq feet room?

My local store is going out of business, there are few good speakers are on sale, I can get a Brand New Dynaudio sapphire, used MBL 111e and used 800D for around US$10,000, or used Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento for $8000. However, my room is a bit small, only 12’x12’. Right now, I am using a 805S, which speakers should I get if you were me?
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

uncledan,

I'm a big believer in system synergy (I'm assuming you would keep the 805s as part of an HT system). You currently have B&W's, and assuming you like the sound with these, I would go for the 800D's. They would be pretty awesome.

However, the 800D's need lots of power. What would you be driving them with?

I have 802D's in an 11X16 room. With a 12X12 room you will likely need bass traps to help with the bass. Other acoustic treatments may also be needed.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• emig5m
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by uncledan
      My local store is going out of business, there are few good speakers are on sale, I can get a Brand New Dynaudio sapphire, used MBL 111e and used 800D for around US$10,000, or used Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento for $8000. However, my room is a bit small, only 12’x12’. Right now, I am using a 805S, which speakers should I get if you were me?
      804S/804Di

Comment

• Orb
        • Aug 2008

It all depends what you like most from your music and what type of music you listen to, such as how important is a low deep bass,clarity in midrange, fast or slightly relaxed presentation, tonal balance critical between bass-mid-treble,equipment supporting (amp/preamp) speaker,etc.

With that said, I am now using only my smaller room similar dimensions and I have to say I would be hesitant about putting a speaker like the 800/802 in such a room, even with room treatment.
        The challenge is balancing how good the speaker can be close-ish to room boundaries to how close it is to you and away from the wall behind it.
        I say this because speakers are not all equal regarding how close you can sit to them or how close they can be to the wall, as an example 803s require a minimum of 7.5ft (ideally more and was given this info from a B&W engineer) for the drivers to be heard as integrating and not seperate.
        Remembering what he said, I think the 803D was the highest up the ladder
        that could be put into such a room and would still require room treatment, 803D has a slightly different bass presentation that may help small rooms.

I ended up going bookshelf and never looked back, however my criteria could be very different to yours.
        Shame they do not have the new 805di as that would be ideal for such a room.

Cheers
        Orb

Comment

• Orb
          • Aug 2008

It all depends what you like most from your music and what type of music you listen to, such as how important is a low deep bass,clarity in midrange, fast or slightly relaxed presentation, tonal balance critical between bass-mid-treble,equipment supporting (amp/preamp) speaker,etc.

With that said, I am now using only my smaller room similar dimensions and I have to say I would be hesitant about putting a speaker like the 800/802 in such a room, even with room treatment.
          The challenge is balancing how good the speaker can be close-ish to room boundaries to how close it is to you and away from the wall behind it.
          I say this because speakers are not all equal regarding how close you can sit to them or how close they can be to the wall, as an example 803s require a minimum of 7.5ft (ideally more and was given this info from a B&W engineer) for the drivers to be heard as integrating and not seperate.
          Remembering what he said, I think the 803D was the highest up the ladder
          that could be put into such a room and would still require room treatment, 803D has a slightly different bass presentation that may help small rooms.

I ended up going bookshelf and never looked back, however my criteria could be very different to yours.
          Shame they do not have the new 805di as that would be ideal for such a room.

Cheers
          Orb

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"