X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maverick71
    • Nov 2006

Acoustic Project with 802D and Classé

I've always believed that room acoustics is the main contributor to the overall sonic experience one has over its audio room.

After a few experiences with my setup in my room (where I basically tested and measured my speakers at any place available) and a listening session a few days later of the same setup over a studio, I concluded that, even though I was quite happy with my system's performance, to improve it significantly, I had to go other way than upgrading my equipment.

I contacted an audio designer and acoustic consultant (www.audiodesigner.eu). He has been involved in many important projects and I was eager ho hear his opinion. He came by and measured my room's acoustics. We talked a bit about my possibilities (it is a living room, so no 'studio like' work is possible) and decided what to do. We went for a Helmholtz ressonator at the systems wall.

It took a few days for him to define the project and one day (from 09h up to 23h) to build it.
    The results are simply amazing and I can't put it into words the differences I hear now. My bass's performance is so much more resolved and detailed, unveiling details at the mid's and highs I never knew were there. I can clearly follow all the notes of the bass guitar with fast decay that enables the overall experience to be much more engaging. Drums are... oh dear... 8)

The WAF is quite good too (at least mine) who loved the overall looks, so, points gained ther also .

Here are some pictures of all the work involved and the final result. If you can do something like this, please do. You will not regret it!

Mav
    Attached Files
  • Maverick71
    • Nov 2006

More pictures.
    Attached Files

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

did they just do the one wall?
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• dknightd
        • Mar 2006

Looks nice. It is amazing how much dealing with room modes can help

Comment

• Maverick71
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
          did they just do the one wall?
          Yup, just one. Ideally, we could go even further, but the next best thing would be the wall behind me and I just don't have the space for that. The results are already amazing and I can't even start to imagine how it would sound if I could do the whole room 8O . I might do something else to turn down the RT60 for the mid's and highs but I don't know if it is justified.

Mav

Comment

• Maverick71
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by dknightd
            Looks nice. It is amazing how much dealing with room modes can help
            That was my first thoughts but in reality it's much more than that. Diminishing the reverb time for most low frequencies has dramatic impact on sound reproduction. To be honest, I wasn't expecting that much :P .

Mav

Comment

• WI Rotel
              • Jul 2006

Sweeeeeet! My god, does everyone (including myself) have an Ikea wound wood bowl? :T I love the decor!

Comment

• Blewis
                • Sep 2006

Hi Maverick,

I am thinking of doing something similar. Can you tell me what kind of material wood / plate finish is used? Is it MDF kind of stuff? I also see there is some space between the plates. Doesn't the insulating material cause dust in the room?

Thanks,
                Louis

Comment

• Stevebez
                  • Oct 2003

Also interested in what the panels are made of and how they attached to the wall batons, i.e. are they floating panels or firmly attahced...?

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by Maverick71
                    I've always believed that room acoustics is the main contributor to the overall sonic experience one has over its audio room.
                    (www.audiodesigner.eu). We went for a Helmholtz ressonator at the systems wall. 8) Mav
                    Very nice, so basically fiber glass with wood paneling, I asume it is special paneling that absorbe the Bass?

I am in the US so I am not sure I could find the material?
                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Maverick71
                      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Blewis
                      Hi Maverick,

I am thinking of doing something similar. Can you tell me what kind of material wood / plate finish is used? Is it MDF kind of stuff? I also see there is some space between the plates. Doesn't the insulating material cause dust in the room?

Thanks,
                      Louis
                      The wood is called "faia" (I don't know what that translates in to). The space between the plates is (as other factors) defined by the room's resonances. Before defining the plate sizes and depht, Audiodesigner came by a couple of times to measure the system/room's acoustic response.

No dust whtasoever until now. :T

Mav

Comment

• Maverick71
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Stevebez
                        Also interested in what the panels are made of and how they attached to the wall batons, i.e. are they floating panels or firmly attahced...?

Rgds Steve.
                        The vertical wood bars are attached to the wall with iron L shaped parts. The panels are glued to these bars.

Mav

Comment

• Maverick71
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by wettou
                          Very nice, so basically fiber glass with wood paneling, I asume it is special paneling that absorbe the Bass?

I am in the US so I am not sure I could find the material?
                          It's mineral wool and the panel is basically a bass trap, configured accordingly with the room acoustic response.

Sorry all for the late replys :roll:

Mav

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"