X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

musings of a gear head

it seems we often get wrapped up in our gear, planned upgrades, speaker positioning, DTS vs DD, 7.1 and the whole spectrum of wonderful techie stuff and sometimes stop to actually listen to the music. I don't know about you guys but its been a while since I've actually listened to an entire song without either jumping to a different song or a different disc (mega changers are too convienient for this) Tonight though I had some time and felt i deserved to reaquaint myself with my music collection. What I managed to do once I had the lights turned off and was relaxed enough was forget the gear and just enjoy the sweet music. In the planned future upgrades for SACD and a new pre amp and and and and and I'd almost forgotten how good I already have it. I guess sometimes we all need to stop to smell the roses and enjoy the toys we have now.

• Trevor Schell
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Well said Andrew!,,
    So what are you going to buy tommorrow.

Trevor
    My HomeTheater S.E.
    Sonically Enhanced
    C5
    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Chip
      • Aug 2001

I know what you mean Andrew... Shit i just bought more CAT's tonight! 2 more Blue Tigers, 2 full buck betty Tigress component cables *sigh*...I need to kick back and play with my new XBox, lol..

- Chip

Chip Engle

"Concrete ain't a spectator sport"

<a href="http://www.htguide.com/bilder/index.cfm?fuseaction=arkivbilder&userid=0&selected userid=336" target="_blank">My HT
      Chip Engle

My HT

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Quite true, Andrew. I know I'm overdoing it a bit when I stop and realize on a particular day that 95% of my listening has been going on just to evaluate a speaker crossover or amplifier circuit I'm working on. It comes from being too wrapped up in using it as a tool.

I feel fortunate for having been an active musician for quite a few years; that always brings me back and grounds me in the music- sooner or later!

In psych, you'd distinguish between primary and secondary drives. Now, whether we acknowledge it or not, there's an element of the hunt- discovery, research, planning, acquisition- that we enjoy in this hobby, aside from the music and video itself. But at the end of the day, it's kicking back, turning down the lights a little, and relaxing with something that connects emotionally that makes it worthwhile.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Boy, you guys have put me in the mood to spin some vinyl.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

george thats not such a bad idea. I think with things like CD and mega changers its far to easy to just skip songs or discs at will...our attention spans are really short now which hurts our enjoyment of the moment IMO

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

I agree.

My Homepage!
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Your right Andrew, sometimes we do get so caught up in make it better, make it better, we don't really take the time to enjoy what we have.

I really, myself got to that level a while back. Then I bought a 2 channel pre-amp, but really this was to satisfy a legitimate need of testing XLR cables I built. I guess I could have got an adapter. Didn't really think of that at the time though.

I thought about socking myself in with a new RPTV, but decided it wasn't a smart thing to do. So, I downsized my Chrismas wish list to a new CD player. Now, I am well, enjoying the music. As it should be!

no new MC-12, no new RPTV. I am content to enjoy what I have for a while. It's pretty dang good too!

Lex
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"