Fidelizer for Windows, a must have for critical listening.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Fidelizer for Windows, a must have for critical listening.

I don't know if anyone has explored this little gem of a software or not...but I tend to think pretty highly of it.

Anyone using a Windows based computer setup should really look into this. It's free, so that's even better.

The program is called Fidelizer.

Basically, what it does is re-prioritizes all the processes within windows to optimize the audio portion only and gives them higher count over EVERYTHING else windows does. In doing so, this helps make sure that the audio (bit by bit) arrives precisely in time to it's destination. As most users can attest to, windows LOVES to do background tasks and this can cause the audio threads to not arrive at their proper time. It's sort of like jitter on the CPU side of things. It's NOT jitter mind you, but that's the easiest way to think of it.

The benefits I've found have been a more fuller and natural sound. The biggest benefit I've found is when used, things just seem to sound more realistic than they do without using it.

The negatives are only four, and all minor annoyances more than anything. First, once you run the program... you can't undo it until you reboot. Which isn't really a negative unless you can't reboot or forget and come back to the computer and wonder why everything is running so slow. Just would've been nice to be able to run things again and return to normal. Second, by default the checkbox for making the program's website your home page is checked.... so if you forget to un-check it... yeah you know. And third, after you run the program... it automatically pops up it's website which you have to close off. The guy that wrote the program did these things because companies were taking his software and trying to incorporate it with their hardware and pass it off as theirs....so he did this so they can't use it as their own. Again, all annoyances and nothing major but they are there. The last and possible the biggest issue some will have is that it will stop your wireless network. It needs to be hardwired in order to use. I think the lowest quality setting will allow wireless but all the others stop your wifi card. I believe this is true, but have not tried it, I think I read that somewhere though.

In order to use the program all you have to do is put the Fidelizer.exe onto your desktop and run it. When it comes up you can select your "level of musicality"... there's an extreme mode that will shutdown your network and most system processes...I've not used it as all my music is stored on my server so I need network. I have always stuck with Audiophile quality and it works well in this mode. Make sure to un-check the box for switching your homepage. Now before you click to "Fidelize" your computer, you should make sure that most of your open programs are shut down. This includes your audio playback software (actually this is the most important). You do not want your Audio program open as it will lower it's priority to process the audio. Once you click the Fidelize button, it will take a few seconds and optimize the processes. When done it will pop up it's webpage (just close it), then open up your audio playback software and start to enjoy. The program will stay running until the computer reboots. This is even true if you "end task" on it as none of the other processes ever get re-prioritized. When you're done all you have to do is reboot and your computer will return to normal. How do you know when it's normal... when Fidelizer is running, just try opening up IE or Chrome or any other programs and you'll see how slow they open and run.

I personally use this anytime I want to sit back and really do some critical listening.... for my normal sit down and just listen to a few songs I don't use it...but any extended session... yep... it's a great piece of software!
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Cool, thanks, man. As I get more into computer audio, I'll check this out!
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• impala454
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2007

I'm a little skeptical. I read through the explanations of how it works on his website and don't see how some of them could improve "sonic quality". He's talking about stuff like multi-core optimizations, when your audio drivers are likely not even multithreaded to begin with. Unless you're running an ancient system, a CPU with GHz level of clock cycles is not going to miss anything audio related unless you're absolutely killing the CPU with whatever you're currently doing. The data either gets processed or it doesn't. It either makes it to the DSP on the sound card or it doesn't. This is all digital data we're talking about. The conversion back to analog gets done via hardware (or more precisely, firmware on a chip), not software.
      -Chuck

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

I was the same way...but from going back and forth with it... I honestly feel that things sound better when it's used. And the fact that it's free.... means woooo hoooo!

I noticed on mine it seems like it keeps audio locked to a single core where it doesn't when it's not in use. So I don't know if that's really a part of it or not. Either way, I suggest try it and see it. Can't hurt any!
        -Dan

Comment

• impala454
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2007

Can't argue with that I just really like to know how things work (especially being a software developer by day).
          -Chuck

Comment

• HedgeHog
            • Dec 2008

On another forum, someone mentioned that less processes could reduce internal noise and jitter. Products like JPlay also run in exclusive and low processes mode to improve sonic.

BTW, does WASAPI or ASIO have an audible advantage over DLNR. That is, a device plugged directly to something like the Oppo BDP-105 via USB versus streaming via Ethernet to use the Oppo as a renderer. I kinda like the latter as I can push my content from the NAS to the Oppo and controlled via iOS (JRemote).
            Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
            Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
            B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
            Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
            Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

HedgeHog, do you mean DLNA players? Honestly, from what I've heard... yes you can make WASAPI and ASIO sound better than most DLNA players.

DLNA suffers from two things, one is the server it's coming from. IF you try two different ones side by side running from the same "server," so like Twonky and Serviio, playing a song on both, to me and a few others... Serviio sounds better when played on the same DLNA device. I didn't think there should be a difference, but it seems there can be. The other thing DLNA devices suffer with is they are only as good as the device that's doing the playing. So all the internal parts, DACs and that come into effect.

To me, WASAPI when set to "Event Mode" has gotten me (as well as for Bill -- WKHanna) the best sound from our laptops. This is with setting all the buffers as low as possible and with minimum latency. Of course doing this also means that your susceptible to small annoying pops and clicks when you tend to do much beyond just playing music. So you have to find your balance as with anything. I've tweaked mine and Bill's that it basically never pops or clicks at all anymore... but it's taking a lot of playing around and tweaking to get there.
              -Dan

Comment

• HedgeHog
                • Dec 2008

Hi PewterTA,

I meant DLNA Renderers. I think DLNA "pulls" from a storage device to the unit whereas the renderer gets data "pushed" to it from another source. So in my case, I have a Windows box running JRiver MC 18 with content stored as ALAC/FLAC on a NAS elsewhere on the LAN. With JRiver configured to see the Oppo BDP-105 as a renderer, I use JRemote on an iPAD and tell JRMC18 to push the music via Ethernet to the Oppo. JPlay (another app) told me that their product does not enhance if I do this; that I should connect my PC directly to the Oppo's digital in.

I R c0nf00zed.
                Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
                Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
                B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
                Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
                Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

That's a tough call... It'd be something to try... I can't say which would do the wonders for you. If you added something like the Musical Fidelity V-Link192 into the mix you'd might get better playback from the PC vs having the rendering done on the Oppo. Granted, I know that the Oppo would still be the DAC that does the conversion...

My friend uses his Yamaha Aventage receiver to do all the rendering, so he throws it from various different sources and playback devices and everyway we did it, it all sounded pretty much the same. Nothing standing out. I then brought my V-Link192 over and had it output via WASPI in Event Mode and through the digital coax we definitely noticed a difference. He's a big skeptic on most of the stuff I've told him will make a difference...however that one he was basically going to run out and buy if it wasn't for the fact that he couldn't throw things around like he likes with his tablets and iphone and everything else he uses.

So I think with you using JRiver, and adding something like the VLink or another USB to SPDIF converter (there's a ton out there)... that would increase your sound quality I think. If you get any of them, just make sure you change the settings within JRiver so it outputs that device in a Bit-Perfect mode. Then you should be surprised at the difference.

Then that gets you moving in the direction of wanting more and better and it's a vicious cycle. lol
                  -Dan

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"