Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wise it is not, my young padawan, to provoke the wrath of the Dark Side.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

I was using Dune HD max + Onkyo TX-NR616 as my 5.1 setup.

Comment

JRiver 22 on the laptop which sincs with the
        Sony HAP Z1ES media player
        B&W CM10,
        B&W CM Centre 2S2
        B&W CM S2
        JL Audio F110 V2
        McIntosh MC207
        Sony HAP Z1 ES
        OPPO 105D
        Emotiva UMC 200
        Pro-JEct SE 5.1
        PAarasound Phono Pre
        Furman Elite 15 P
        Kimber 8TC -Heros IC

Comment

My digital gear consists of a Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 motherboard (with upgradeable op amp!) and a separate quad core audio processor from Creative, and my trusty Marantz SA 8260 SACD player, which still does a great job with Redbook CDs as well. Motherboard details if anyone cares. http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=5481#ov
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

I am new to the forum ' but have been into audio for quite a while. For starters I would like to say hello to everyone and that I have a very old NAD 5120 that I listen to vinyl on with a NAD phono stage..
            As far as digital goes I like watching films ' Netflix etc where my audio system does a pretty good job even though it is quite old and only a 2 channel system... The system is at the heart a Bryston 4b NRB and a Threshold T300 preamplifier from the early nineties. My computer is connected to my tv a little HP 800 ELITE and I use Tidal for music files .. I don't have a library of FLAC files and find Tidal convenient access and quality wise. The computer feeds into a first generation Chord Hugo DAC..The sound produced is fed to a pair of Bower & Wilkins 803N loudspeakers which sound fabulous t my ears... Here is a photo of the system minus the record deck as my son has borrowed it as they do...

Attached Files

Comment

Welcome to the family!!!

that is some great equipment, i am sure it sounds V good....:T
              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

Originally posted by Ovation View Post
                Mine is very basic. I have music stored in iTunes in Apple Lossless (ripped from CDs), mostly (a few things of lesser importance--one hit wonder type stuff--are just bought from iTunes in their lossy format). I stream from my iTunes library wirelessly to my living room 2 channel via Airport Express (connected to my AVR via toslink) and to my HT AVR (connected in the same way). Works fine for me. When I want to do "critical listening" (the time for which seems to be diminishing day by day, sadly), I pull out the shiny disc.
                Five and half years later and I've made exactly ONE "digital" addition to my gear--a Schitt Modi2 Uber DAC a few years ago (though mostly as a digital switch box for my headphone setup--accompanying a Magni2 Uber amp). Sorry for letting the team down in terms of gear acquisition.

Comment

Originally posted by Ovation View Post
                  Sorry for letting the team down in terms of gear acquisition.
                  no worries, it only means you hit your 'sweet spot'....:W
                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

List your digital gear:

- Left hand (five digits)
                    - Right hand (five digits)

Both of them work effectively to operate the controls of my analog gear.

Ok, I also have an Oppo BDP-105 which has a great DAC for playing computer-based music files, while also offering outstanding two channel analog playback (after digitally decoding digital music disks).

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Mine is pretty simple also. WAV & dot-aiff files ripped via XLD (I agree. The Best!) I do have a passable shelf of the shiny "big black cd's" as my wife's students - manly from the Central American countries, call them. These I wistfully plan on ripping so they can go on my 1T android. "Some day." This all USED to go via toslink to the Denon 3806 > Bheringer A500 power > 2.1 speakers. (4ohm speaks require 4ohm helper) These are HTG diy's, the ones from the huge 50 page build of Dayton RS 3 ways if you recall? 2007 or so... Video also went to a Panny Viera 42". A PS3 is also in the picture, but I have never been a able to stream thru it without interruptions. I blame Verizon.
                      Anyway the video died on my 27" I Mac. **it happens. I now have a new, 13" Mac Air and my 2tb external with all the music, but no transfer capability, only two tiny usb-c's.
                      Am actively looking for a piece to fix that for $$, not $$$$, right? Yes, suggestions welcome. The Mac had a s/pdif via the headphone jack which was optical. Forget about that, as far as I can see. �� I must mention the Project Debut lll, which will be getting an Acrylic plate and an Orto 2M Red when I'm back in action. (I also plan on diy-ing a TT stand out of 3 foot 3/4" yellow threaded rod, and heavy southern yellow pine laminated shelves with a lacqer finish (!)) In my opinion, black or silver, good audio is definitely helped by beauty...
                      Don't fight, don't argue... If you stay healthy and wait by the river, you'll see all your enemies float by, one by one!

Anonymous

Comment

A synopsis of evolution...

Ok, this is a good idea to have this info collected in one spot; however, trying to list the setup can be confusing and out of date quickly, as things evolve and change, and in some cases, I'm just recently getting ready to retrofit features I gave up temporarily when doing an equipment swap with a close former colleague a couple of years ago... (is it a clue that you have a different perspective when a couple of years ago now, seems more like a couple of months ago when I was in my 30's?)

This illustration I posted from 2016 still has a lot of relevancy... up to a point.

I have all of these pieces, but due to changes in life's circumstances and living like a gypsy the last 3-4 years (always in what was basically "temporary housing" and unwilling to setup the full system) this has been in storage for some time.

So, this is basically correct, except that I now have a Signature Rendu, in addition to the micro Rendu. And a few other bits and pieces...

This should all start getting setup again in the new digs sometime this spring.

After the Alpha USB, will come a Brainstorm DCD8 again, for reclocking the AES-EBU signal.

This will have an LPRS10 10MHz Rubidium oscillator as a master logic clock connected externally.

My latest implementation has a very high grade linear supply, though.

"Budget DAC" to feed HT grade system is a Denafrips Terminator precision R2R ladder DAC, with upgrades from factory:

And still stashed away in storage, my TotalDAC D2, fully balanced converters and output.

the AudioWorx
                        Arvo Pärt
                        Isiris MLBL
                        Modula MT
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo D CC
                        Ardent
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Isiris Mk II updates
                        Calliope CC
                        Obi-Wan
                        Saint-Saëns Symphonique
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

I have (relatively) recently acquired a very basic NAD Wireless USB DAC 2 for a very modest sum (100$ CDN). I use it to feed audio from my laptop (mostly from Apple Music--this is a convenience first set up in my workspace, not intended as the pinnacle of digital audio by any means) to my semi-vintage 2 channel setup: Yamaha C-45 pre-amp (circa 1985), Marantz DV6400 SACD/DVD-A/CD player (circa 2003), Aiwa ADF-800 cassette deck (circa 1992), Sony MDS-JE480 MiniDisc player/recorder (circa 2003), Emotiva BasX A-100 amp (circa 2016), PSB Imagine Bs (circa 2011). Exceedingly simple to set up, very basic, does the job.

(Yes, I do still play MiniDiscs and cassettes--have accumulated too much good music on each to abandon the formats [a lot of radio recordings that are not otherwise available]) The only thing left to add to this setup is decidedly analogue (so I will discuss it in the appropriate thread when I get it--a restored Garrand turntable with 78rpm playback for the stacks of 78s currently in storage at my parents' home).

Comment

Working...
                          X