Rotel 1560 - where to buy computer cable to upgrade the firmware?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MTRX
    • Mar 2011

Rotel 1560 - where to buy computer cable to upgrade the firmware?

I though that USB or whatever port cable I need to flash the firmware would be in the box, but apparently it didn't come with one. Where can I obtain one?
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

I think it should have been in the box, you should probably ask your dealer.

Details to build one are here: http://bwgroup-support.com/downloads...connection.pdf
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Industrial
      • Mar 2009

They never come with the cable. I think it's to make you bring it in to the dealer so they can be responsible if you brick your unit. Also its not a USB port they use. It's some older port that most PC haven't been using in years.

Comment

• PSUfan
        • May 2004

Actually it should have been in the box. If not I would speak with your dealer. You can purchase a serial to usb adapter at Radio Shack or similar electronics retailer for about $30. Upgrade is quite simple.

Comment

• Industrial
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by PSUfan
          Actually it should have been in the box. If not I would speak with your dealer. You can purchase a serial to usb adapter at Radio Shack or similar electronics retailer for about $30. Upgrade is quite simple.
          Cool never thought about a USB to serial converter! My 15 series rotel didn't come with the cable either! Let me know how it works out for you.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

I went through a similar thing a while ago when I needed a serial cable to upgrade electronics. One thing I found you have to be careful of, is some of the serial adapters don't support high enough bandwith for it. For example, at first I got a cheap USB-serial cable from IOGear or something. In the end, I had to get the nice one from Radio Shack, and it worked fine.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• MTRX
              • Mar 2011

I guess I need to call Rotel and find our from then if I can buy that cable from them and if serial to USB adapter will work.. Not sure why would they make serial connection when nobody is using it anymore..

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Originally posted by MTRX
                Not sure why would they make serial connection when nobody is using it anymore..
                Because that's pretty much the standard for control in the home automation industry. We're slowly starting to see ethernet control trickle in on some devices, but the majority is RS232 over serial. Even those with IP control still have serial as a backup.

So the majority of people are still using serial.

Unless they decided to start saving money, the cable should have been in the box. Rotel should send you one if you ask.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Parasound didn't include a serial-USB adapter either, FWIW.
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• Industrial
                    • Mar 2009

Sorry to bring up someones old post. I STILL haven't upgraded the firmware to my RSP 1570. I just got a 3d tv and now really want to be able to use my 1570 again. I emailed the dealership and they told me I could do it at home with the cable that came in the box. ARG! NO cable came in the box! I emailed them back and haven't gotten a reply from that. Pretty disappointing they don't seem to want to upgrade it for me. Anyone found a cable by now that works? Maybe a link?

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

It's been the same cable since the 1066. All of the 15 series would have had it in the box. The pinout is on Rotel's support site with the firmware, a new one from Rotel is only about $8US.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Industrial
                        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Kevin D
                        It's been the same cable since the 1066. All of the 15 series would have had it in the box. The pinout is on Rotel's support site with the firmware, a new one from Rotel is only about $8US.

Kevin D.
                        You wouldn't happen to have a close up pic of the rj45 side of the cable to see the pin/wire color layout? Maybe I have something similar laying around. If you google this you will see a couple others didn't get the wire in the box.

Comment

• Kevin D
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Industrial
                          You wouldn't happen to have a close up pic of the rj45 side of the cable to see the pin/wire color layout? Maybe I have something similar laying around. If you google this you will see a couple others didn't get the wire in the box.
                          Color / pin-out would vary depending on what's used on the db9 end that you can't see.

Pin-out is here:

Comment

• Industrial
                            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Kevin D
                            Color / pin-out would vary depending on what's used on the db9 end that you can't see.

Pin-out is here:

http://www.bwgroupsupport.com/downlo...connection.pdf
                            No worries. Rotel is sending out a cable
                            Now, what serial to USB converter you recommend? Do they all work or would I need a special one?

Thanks for all the help Kev!

Comment

• Kevin D
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

I like the Keyspan version, but I'm not sure if it's the same as it was a few years ago. If you can find one with a true serial UART, you'll be better off.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Industrial
                                • Mar 2009

Got the cable and USB to serial today. Updated mains went smooth video smooth. Then when it came for the dsp update and it's own separate updated. FAILED! tried twice so far always fails around 6%. So now I can turn the machine on see video etc but no more audio. When I press the mute button to see the versions I see it for video but Audio just says "."

Now I wish I has only installed the two first updates as thAts all I really
                                Needed

Comment

• Industrial
                                  • Mar 2009

Never mind, ran that last updater in xp virtual mode. Worked!

Comment

Working...
                                  😀
                                  😂
                                  🥰
                                  😘
                                  🤢
                                  😎
                                  😞
                                  😡
                                  👍
                                  👎
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"