X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seeme
    • Dec 2004

Long Wall Speaker Placement or Horizontal Listening Rooms? Help

Hi all,

I need some assistance. I'm currently building a dedicated Theater Room that's 16'8 X 20'1 feet and my question is; What's better, using the long wall or the short wall. In my last room, I got good results using the long wall, but after reading the cardas room setup recommendations I'm not too sure. My thoughts where to place the speakers on the long wall, with the Mains 3 feet off the back wall and 9 feet apart, which means that I will have my seating at least 9 feet from the speakers, giving my chairs about 1 foot of clearance from the rear wall. Is this better or should I put the Mains on the short wall? giving me more distance to place my seating away from the speakers.

I have to run the wiring in the wall before I put up my dry walls.

I have a 106 inch screen for movie watching but I use my room more for 2ch stereo listing "90%". So sound quality "imaging, staging, depth..."are more important to me.

Thanks
  • Seeme
    • Dec 2004

Drawing
    Attached Files

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

If you aren't facing any limitations (ie, the <insert item> HAS to go here) then I recommend you start out with the speakers on the short wall. Are there any doorways, windows, etc. that you have to work around?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Seeme,

I concur with David, I have a configuration simular to yours and I have my Fronts and centers on the short wall, no doors/windows. Projector screen located there as well. This will also provide more room for guest seating and that Home Theater ambience. Just my quick thoughts.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Seeme
          • Dec 2004

Thanks guys, I just have double doors on the opposite wall of the short wall. No windows or other items to deal with. I may extend the long wall out, to give me 25 feet. Thanks.

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Sorry for the short response last night. I was bushed after a long workday. My last room forced me to go with the speakers on the long wall and it actually worked out better sonically than my efforts using the short wall. However that was the exception to a generally accepted rule.

Try this, when you are setting up the speakers in the room use the "rule of fifths". Break the room into 5 evenly spaced segments width- and length-wise. Put the face of your main speakers exactly on the intersection of the first segment out from the front and side walls. This should be a good sonic starting place. Now start adjusting the location (and toe-in) inch-by-inch until you get the soundstage and imaging you like.

Good luck and keep us posted.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"