This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gostan
    replied
    The Pet Sounds DVD-A is worth the price for the early (historic) music video attempts by the Beach Boys. Watching them jump off a diving board in full white suits into the water in a swimming pool during one of them is very 60's.

Stan

Leave a comment:

• aud19
    replied
    Another one I want to get It's DVD-A right?

Jason

Leave a comment:

• glangston@socal
    replied
    Pet Sounds

Just listened to this and it has some wonderful songs on it. The bonus tracks include some vocal-less versions (good for Karaoke!!) of several songs. I didn't have any version of this to compare it to so.......

Interesting notes state that the Beach Boys were more popular than the Beatles in England at one time.

I think Brian Wilson was very gifted musically and got it out on this record.

Leave a comment:

• gostan
    replied
    I am have been listening to a new John Hiatt DVD-A recording of Bring The Family. The recording was originally released in 1987 and includes a great surrounding cast of Ry Cooder on electric guitar, Jim Keltner on drums and Nick Lowe on Electric Bass with the incomparable John Hiatt on acoustic guitar and vocal. You either love John's voice or not, but he has never sounded better. Thing Called Love and Have A Little Faith In Me are such well written songs.

I do not have the original recording in cd, so I cannot make any comparisons to it, but the fullness and clarity of the vocals and instruments makes this one worth the investment of owning.

Stan

Leave a comment:

• Bing Fung
    replied
    Originally posted by John Holmes
    Bing,

I'm glad you are enjoying the new discs. I think those are two groups that could sound good even singing from under a rock! :lol:

True enough John :lol:

Jason, I'll def snag DSOTM if it ever see it again. I have not heard Two Against Nature... Worth getting content wise?

You know if I were to pick one format that I prefer for the coolnest factor, it would be the DVD-A. I love the extras and the Graphic Jackets during playback. The Fourplay DVD-A has nice changing graphics for each induvidual song track :T

Leave a comment:

• aud19
    replied
    Bing, indeed I've heard the same things about DSOTM. Supposed to be one of the top examples of multichannel SACD available. Period. I bought a copy even though I can't currently play SACD but even the CD layer sounds :T Pick it up when you get a chance and let us know

BTW, I've got Steely Dan Two Against Nature, sounds awesome as well :T

Jason

Leave a comment:

• John Holmes
    replied
    Bing,

I'm glad you are enjoying the new discs. I think those are two groups that could sound good even singing from under a rock! :lol:

Leave a comment:

• Bing Fung
    replied
    Well, the DSOTM was gone... :cry:

I did get :

On DVD-A. This is awesome, and i actually like the multi channel mix. Typical Dan, so if you a fan I would say you won't be disappointed. You know how Dan always has the wind chimes? They make good use of the surround on this DVD-A

What can i say, it's Fourplay! Love this DVD-A sofar!!

Leave a comment:

• Bing Fung
    replied
    Thanks Jayhawk :T

Stevie Ray and Nora woul dbe awesome to get on SACD. I have been looking at me Local A&B for them.....

I seen that Toto IV and wantd to get it just for Africa and Rosanna. I had read afterward that the SACD didn;t really sond that good at all. So now that you mention it, I'll just settle with my Toto IV redbook.

Jon, It seems as I will have to drop down and purchase yet another DSOTM. I was reading a review (Read review here) that stated that although we may all know this album inside out, that the Multi surround track is still worth purchasing DSOTM if only to hear what would be considered the standard for how good a multi sound track can sound in SACD. Apperently it handily beats the Mobile Fidelity remastered RB CD, even on the SACD's CD layer. Ohh, I'm such a sucker for reviews like this..... : What do you think? Just Do it?

I seen a Fourplay SACD that I think I will have to get as well...

Leave a comment:

• David Meek
    replied
    Hi ya David, welcome to The Guide! :later:

Excellent choice in a name, by the way. :B

Leave a comment:

• Kevin P
    replied
    Welcome aboard Jayhawk. Just so you guys know, I talked him into joining.

Leave a comment:

• John Holmes
    replied
    Welcome to the Guide Jayhawk.

Leave a comment:

• Jayhawk
    replied
    SACD/DVD-A recommendations

Does anybody have a link that lists all the SACD/DVD-A titles currently available, or a place where they can be bought on line?

Here is a link that has all of the Sony SACD titles available. There are some titles available that aren't listed on this first page, but you can search from there, and there are titles from other labels available. Check Amazon, they have a huge (though not all inclusive) inventory: http://app2.sonymusic.com/SACDTranslator/0,,act=search$$$artist=$$$title=,00.html?act=searc h&artist=&title=

As far as additional SACDs go, try: Stevie Ray Vaughn and Albert King, In session (hard to find, but worth it); Norah Jones, Come away with me (over-played, but a good SACD); and David Bowie, Heathen.

For Classical SACDs: Beethoven's 5th & 7th, Carlos Klieber; Bach's Goldberg variations, Glenn Gould; 1812 Overture (telarc label - I can't spell Tchaikovsky); and Rhapsody in Blue/An American in Paris/Grand Canyon Suite, Leonard Berstein.

Generally speaking, I prefer the SACDs to DVD-As - they seem to have more depth and clarity. That having been said, here are a couple DVD-As that I have and like: Queensryche, Empire (the only "hard rock" DVD-A or SACD that I have really liked); Foreigner, 4; Eagles, Hotel California and Hell Freezes Over (Hotel California was one of the first, and is still one of the best); and Eric Clapton and BB King, Riding with the King.

There are some others that I haven't particularly liked - good music but the new format didn't add anything. They are as follows: Toto, IV; Stone Temple Pilots, Core; Alice in Chains, Greatest Hits; and Boston, Boston.

Thanks for the recommendations. Now I've got to save my pennies for more music.

Leave a comment:

• Brandon B
    replied
    Surprised no one has mentioned, the Rolling Stones remasters on SACD are great (stereo only though, as it should be for those). They are hybrids (as are everything I mention here, as I won't buy SACD only titles).

Another interesting one, Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells has, rather than a remix of the stereo, a quad mix done as an experiment quite a while ago. Also has a remaster of the stero mix and CD layer.

Probably my favorite multichannel SACDs (this month) are Nickel Creek's. Bluegrass acoustic trio produced (and taught/influenced) by Alison Krause. I like these not only for the music, but also as they are the best examples I have heard (although I have relatively few SACDs yet) of using the multichannel to widen the soundfield compared to stereo, rather than create a real surround, which is not always appropriate.

BB

Leave a comment:

• JonMarsh
    replied
    Originally posted by Bing Fung
    Somehow I just can't bring myself to buy Pink Floyd DSOTM, even if that is with out a doubt the album that has recieved the most play time in my life. I can't bear to buy another one for I think I have bought this album 6-8 times already :evil:
    Yeah, when I think of all the albums I've bought multiple copies of, it makes me wonder if I wouldn't be able to afford a new DAC from the expense!

You'll not be pleased to hear that I DID by the SACD DSOTM. But then I only have one CD version, so....

It probably is the definitive version, but it's annoying, because they are clipping (digitally) the CD layer, and it is just from earlier releases, while the SACD layer is the total reworked re-mix. I wish they'd done a clean 2 channel down conversion of the SACD layer for the CD layer.

Now, someone that I keep buying the same music or similar music over agai too often is Jacque Loussier Play Bach. His SACD release is quite good; even the Hybrid layer is stunnning. (jazz trio doing jazz interpretations of Bach and other classical composeres; he's on his second trio; I got hooked on him in the early 70's with his first trio, but he "wore out" those side men (too old). He's pretty anceint himself, but he has utterly remarkable energy and playing style; playing with musicians 35 years younger than him now.

~Jon

Leave a comment:

• Ross Smith
    replied
    Listened to my 1st DVD A "WOW"

I just bought a Pioneer DVDA-SACD player and listened to my first DVD- A disc today ( Doobie Bro's, The Captain and Me), wow this format sounds superb. It brings music to life, listening to 2 channel is like listening to mono I couldn't believe that an old recording could sound so good.
    I can't waite until I get more disc's, it's a pity that there's not more titles out there to choose from. At $A32 they are a bit expensive but I was lucky, I get 2 bonus disc's with my Pioneer I have ordered "Hotel California" and "Harvest"

Leave a comment:

• Bing Fung
    replied
    Originally posted by JonMarsh
    Unfortunately, Bing, when you're talking older recordings, there are some limitations in the original studios at times, microphones, mixing boards, etc. A new recording might be done quite well, and take better advantage of an all digital recording path because of the advances in the electronics, especially A/D.
    I think that is what I was getting at... That basically some / most older recordings can only sound so good, compared to the well executed recordings of today.

I understand and agree that the older recordings can benifit from remastering, but it all boils down to diminsihed gains for me... Generally I'm looking for the SACDs /DVD-A's that really showcase the sonic qualities of this medium, and although the older recordings may standup well, I just wanted to know how well.

The Roxy Music is a case in point. It sounds good, but really can't compare to Diana Kralls When I look in your Eyes in sonic realisim (on my system). Granted, I think Diana's music is better suited for a modest system such as mine and has a better chance of creating the realisim for it's has varing crescendos from a silent whisper to medium levels, where as Roxy Music's is more Rock music levels and really requires a powerfull system with better speakers to create that sonic realism illusion.

I'm just seeking the most sonic bang for my spending dollars and just don't want to replace all my old redbooks just yet with SACD/DVD-A of those versions unless I really have to. On my system, it would seem i really don't have to ops: But I still do want to replace an older classic that I truely love such as Emerson Lake and Palmer's Brain Salad Surgery. Even if my system isn't capable of making it sound real... sentimental or nostagial wins over the technical aspects.

Somehow I just can't bring myself to buy Pink Floyd DSOTM, even if that is with out a doubt the album that has recieved the most play time in my life. I can't bear to buy another one for I think I have bought this album 6-8 times already :evil:
    Last edited by Bing Fung; 10 May 2004, 06:36 Monday.

Leave a comment:

• JonMarsh
    replied
    Unfortunately, Bing, when you're talking older recordings, there are some limitations in the original studios at times, microphones, mixing boards, etc. A new recording might be done quite well, and take better advantage of an all digital recording path because of the advances in the electronics, especially A/D.

But for this reason, many older recordings really benefit from re-mastering. In many cases, the original CD wasn't made from masters but from safety tapes one or two geneations removed. I've picked up a lot of new Redbook disks because they've been remastered in the last 5-6 years, going back to the original source tapes. Yes, Eagles, and many others have benefited from this.

The other side is playback. A moderate price SACD player does sound better in general than the same player playing back the redbook layer, or redbook in general. But, put a first rate CD rig up against it, and things look a bit different. I think we're about at the point where for $1,000, with the right purchase in a DAC, you can get CD that's 95% or more of the best that CD can offer. That's because some recent product in that price range have become relatively competitive with the performance of what previously has only been available for multi-kilobucks.

Nothing comparable for SACD exists at that price point, or two or three times it, yet. Especially because the development of outboard converters is still hamstrung by not having an officially blessed data and security interface, so the current solutions are all proprietary- i.e., expensive. Hopefully, in time that will change. At this time, even the best "bargain" high end SACD player, the Krell SACD Standard, at $4000, doesn't compare in some critical aspects of measured performance to a Benchmark DAC1. And unfortunatley, due to delivery problems with Philips transport used in this unit, Krell is having trouble producing this in quantity.

Sigh....

Regards,

Jon

Leave a comment:

• Bing Fung
    replied
    gostan, Good recommendations!

Jon, you make me think of a question... :roll: Would the older audio tracks recorded earlier on (70's 80's) like Fleetwood Mac Rumors, Yes Fragile, Herbie Hancock Head Hunters.... etc, stand a chance sonically against the newer productions recorderd and mastered with modern techniques?

Throw poorly mastered/mastering aside. My thought is most of the earlier recordings Masters could (may have) degredated over time, leaving the older material in the wake of the newer stuff. So no mater how much remastering is applied, you can only get so much information out of these older tracks.

I only say this because the example of the Roxy Music Avalon, recorded cira 1982 and remastered in 2003. While The SACD does boast an improvement over my original Redbook CD, I have owned for 20 years, it still does not present that same type of sonic presence of realisim that the Newer Diana Krall SACD's and Red Book CD tend to have. Actually more to the point, I have some Newer Redbook CD's that equally compare to the Roxy Music SACD version in presence, sonic impact, dynamic purity (Christen Mcbride getting into it, Diana Krall When I look into your eyes, Roy Obeido Iguana... to name a few).

My point it I don't want to go replacing a lot of my older Redbook CD's with SACD versions of it, if sonically they are still somewhat inferiour to the newer recorded material. Remastered they are impressive, however may not stand up against then newer recorded material even in the remastered form.
    Additionally I don't want to slight greatly done Redbook CD's for SACD/DVD-A only because of it's promise of more dynamic response.

Is this a limitation of my system to appreciate the remastered stuff? If so I should just keep on the redbook bandwagon for the older recordings.
    Last edited by Bing Fung; 09 May 2004, 12:01 Sunday.

Leave a comment:

• gostan
    replied
    I just noticed this thread and would like to offer up some of my top choices:

SACD
    Kevin Mahogany-Pride & Joy: this is a Telarc hybrid multi-channel recording. Kevin's a great vocalist with r&b, funk & jazz overtones. The recording is one of the best multi-channel I have listened to.

Ray Brown, Monty Alexander & Russell Malone: another Telarc hybrid mutli-channel. Multi-channel and stereo recordings are both above par.

Peter Gabriel- Sahaking The Tree: his greatest hits are remastered in stereo only.

Mary Chapin Carpenter- Time, Sex, Love: a superb multi-channel recording. Non- hybrid. The vocals and instruments sound true with surround efffects.

Blood, Sweat & Tears: sacd stereo only. What can you say. Great recording of a record that topped the charts in 1969.

Alison Kraus & Union Station- New Favorite: a hybrid muti-channel-stereo recording which is one of the nicest sounding. This one is a new one for me and I am listening to it more in stereo to take advantage of my new Aragon amplifier.

Aimee Mann-Lost In Space: a Mobile Fidelity hybrid recording that I love.

DVD-A:

The Beach Boys-Pet Sounds: mono, stereo, dts 5.1, dvd video with dolby digital 5.1: this is a must recording to own. You must listen to Brian Wilson's original mono recording and then listen to the new surround sound mix.

David Sanborn-Time Again: another new recording that I am still getting to know.

Personally, I tend to like the variety of recording that are on SACD better than DVD-A. Also, while I do place priority on hybrid recordings (so that I can put them on my Powerbook, Ipod & Mini-Ipod), I will purchase non-hybrid if I like the music and hear through the grapevine that the recording is worth the price of admission. I do, however, tend to listen more to the stereo recording than multi-channel recording. To me, the sacd - dvd-a recordings are worth the price as they do sound better.

Leave a comment:

• JonMarsh
    replied
    SACD layers are physically the same kind of thing as DVD layers, so it depends on how the bios and drivers handle it.

Some DVD/CDR combo drives are OK with EAC, reading hybrid layers, others go nuts.

Go figure...

I'll have to pick that Roxy Music up some time...

BTW, one thing I think I've notices is that in many cases the hybrid CD layer is a down conversion from the SACD layer, and the more careful mastering really shows up, even on the CD layer.

It's interseting to compare original CD releases with the hybrid layer- for example, the Police greatest hits hybrid, the CD layer totally blows away the orignial CD release.

Now, here, we're not comparing hi rez versus low rez, but a first class mastering job versus something more mass market...
    Which really irritates me, because I think all CD's should be carefully mastered from first gen tapes.

But that's why I guess I'm also going out and getting the "Who's Next" SACD, becuase it's from first gen tapes, and the best of the existing CD's aren't.

~Jon

Leave a comment:

• Bing Fung
    replied
    Thanks Jon :T Yes the Roxy Music Avalon is a Hybrid. I like those Hybrids as well for thet fact that they play in normal CD players.

Strangely enough when I placed this Disk into my PC's Slot load DVD player (Pioneer), it barked at me and stated it "may be a corrupt disk or in a format that windows does not recognize". I then placed it in my Lite-on DVD-/+R and it played it with out a problem.

Jon, your CD player must be one awesome unit :E

Leave a comment:

• JonMarsh
    replied
    Some nice choices, Bing! Is that Roxy music SACD a hybrid? My current purchasing on disks is 90% hybrid SACD, because of the inclusion of a redbook CD layer, which is usually an excellent mastered down conversion of the SACD stereo tracks.

I'm in the peculiar position that my best overall sounding rig is CD; it has an edge in overall bass and midrange articulation, more grain free highs, and better depth compared to my Sony SCD777ES SACD player, but I know that when I can get a comparable SACD player someday, the upgrade will be worth it. I've heard good things about the Krell Standard SACD player, but I've also heard they've temporarily suspended shipments because they're having trouble getting transports from Philips. The new Diana Krall is also on my shopping list, as well as the Pat Barber SACD from MoFi.

Been so busy it's been hard to find time on the weekends to get out and do any shopping!

Regards,

Jon

Leave a comment:

• John Holmes
    replied
    Alright :T

Leave a comment:

• Bing Fung
    replied

I picked up the Roxy Music Avalon on SACD.

It sounds pretty good for an old album. Not as crisp with startling depth like the Diana Krall SACD I picked up, but it's still very good none the less. Once again I notice a clarity and separation not heard on the original Redbook I own.

I listened to Aaron Neville's Nature Boy which I picked up on DVD-A

It is a great sounding album, however I realized one thing.... Aaron's reverbing voice actually gets on my nerves during critical listening. Which is not fair for he has a great sounding voice and the DVD-A showcases it fantastically! In the end, I would rather have it for background listening rather than critical listening. Which is a shame for it is a great sounding disk.

John, that list is working now, thanks!
    Last edited by Bing Fung; 02 May 2004, 19:29 Sunday.

Leave a comment:

• John Holmes
    replied
    Burke, Pat,

Your welcome. I wasn't sure if the pricing was fair. I don't own a player that is capable of playing either format. Thus, I don't know pricing. But, I was hoping that it would be a good place to at least see "all" that is availabe in the respected formats.

Leave a comment:

• Burke Strickland
    replied
    John, thanks for the link. (It is working at this early hour of the morning.) The prices on the items I checked are not particulalry bargains compared to other stores/vendors I've looked at recently (although they are not way overpriced either), but it is nice to have "everything" available in one place.
    Last edited by Burke Strickland; 29 April 2004, 03:27 Thursday.

Leave a comment:

• Bing Fung
    replied
    Hey John, thanks for the link, however, it currently down... :W

Leave a comment:

• Daryl Furkalo
    replied
    I would Blue Man Group Audio to the DVD-A list to try out, I like it alot. Also, since you mention Metallica Black, Megadeth Peace Sells from DTS Entertainment is out too. I have the STP as well, but haven't listened to it as much as I should.

Leave a comment:

• John Holmes
    replied
    Bing,

This place claims to have every SACD title available. I have no idea if it is accurate.http://store.acousticsounds.com/cate...eywords=g_sacd

They seem to have an extensive dvd-a section as well.
    Last edited by John Holmes; 27 April 2004, 10:53 Tuesday.

Leave a comment:

• dave
    replied
    the stereo layer on sacd titles isn't gimmicky as you might find on the multi-ch. layer on some sacd hybrids out there I also have found this to be true
    on some of the dvd audio offerings that are available out there.
    Here are a few more to add to the list,,,
    SACD
    #1 CCR. all of the albums that the original band released are now available. I own all but 2 and those are mardi-gras & pendulum. the sound quality of these is excellent
    #2 Blood Sweat & Tears. they have released 2, Thier self titled album and more recently Mobile fidelity has released a hybrid of thier 3rd disc BS&T 3
    the sound quality on this one is very very good it's a original master recording
    as well
    #3 The Police, Every Breath You Take, best of hybrid sacd. This one plays
    Multi-Ch as well as Stereo. This one is the absolute best that i've ever heard
    this band sound, if your a police fan and have sacd capabilities in your system
    check this one out!!!
    #4 Jeff Beck-Blow by Blow. go for the stereo version of this one, great clean-up job, George Martins string arrangments really shine
    #5 The Who, Tommy. Unbeleavable is the only word that comes to mind
    when listening to the difference that sacd has made here
    #6 Peter Frampton, Frampton Comes Alive. On this one Multi-ch. is done right
    very good sound quality
    #7 Pink Floyd, DSOTM. the Multi-Ch is nice and well placed in the speakers
    I,ve heard through the grapevine that the Moody Blues are releasing
    some material on sacd as well, they already have Days of Future Past
    and Seventh Sojourn out in the DTS format.

DVD audio
    #1 Donald Fagan, The Nightfly if your a Steely Dan fan and havent heard this yet your missing out
    #2 America Homecoming, Thier 2nd album and its a good one
    #3 The Beach Boy's Pet Sounds, This disc has it all,,, Mono, Stereo, DTS,
    etc. it is good to hear this band sound so good on this one.
    #4 The Doobie Brothers, The Captain and Me. Im a big fan of this band and
    this is one of those that had to be in the collection
    #5 Deep Purple, Machine Head, just listen to this discs mastering of "Lazy"
    #6 THe Doors L/A Woman, The sound quality is not to bad when you consider the year this one was made.
    Regards,,, Dave.

Leave a comment:

• Bing Fung
    replied
    Paraphrased: ops:

I'm new to SACD/DVD-A...

Should a person listen to this format in stereo or multichannel sound? I have only use Stereo on the one SACD tiltle I bought as I generally like stereo over DTS or DD surround on my music DVD's. it sounds less artifical has a more real feel, if that make sense.

I picked up Diana Krall "When I look in Your Eyes" SACD.

I picked this one because I have the Redbook version and wanted a direct comparision to what I have already considered a reference CD. I was not dissapointed. At first I though they had totally remixed and re-recorded this CD. I have become pretty intimate with the redbook version and as such I was hearing sounds that made this SACD version sound different. After listening more I realized it was the same re-cording but more prominance was placed in things such as wind intruments, that sounded more muted in the background on the regular CD. In the SACD version, track 1 at about 1:20 into the song, I noticed how much more detail of stage there seemed to be with the violins and wind orchestra. Diana's voice had more depth to me on the SACD. As I said the redbook CD is no sloutch however the SACD version just seemed to have more presence, bass, depth of stage... You name it.

My wife did a blind test and I picked the SACD version 100% of the time :T

I was going to get Steely Dan "Gacho" SACD for I have always like the sound of that album. I allso seen Donald Fagen's "Night Fly" which was always a reference LP for me.

A&B sound Saskatoon, had a limited selection od SASC/DVD-A. If they would have had any Dire Straits, I would have certainly bough one of those.

Emerson Lake and Palmer BSS? Fuggettaboutit! That would be awesome on SACD/DVD-A I grew up on that on. First it was 8 track (no, not the recording studio type ), then cassette, then Vinyl. I don't own the CD, although i do have a best of ELP on regular CD.

Does anybody have a link that lists all the SACD/DVD-A titles currently available, or a place where they can be bought on line?

Leave a comment:

• Bing Fung
    replied
    OK, I'm choked, I posted some long response only to have a invalid link specified. It then dropped everything as lost :M

Leave a comment:

• aud19
    replied
    An update on my Carmina Burana DVD-A:

I've found out that the subwoofer has to be on in the player in order for the multi-channel track to be accessed I've informed Universal of the situation and I'm awaiting any thoughts/solutions they might have.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide

Leave a comment:

• Bam!
    replied
    Hey Jason!

Dude I am a very bing Sinatra fan...

Please tell me E mail anything...I bought the DVD of Sinatra and it (for me)was not too good....

So I would love to know!...hey did you get Vivaldi?

Thanks take care!

You`re right quite a list.....I wonder if Patty Barber is on DVD audio?

Bam!

Leave a comment:

• aud19
    replied
    Originally posted by David Meek
    Vivaldi, Metallica and Guitar Noir all in the same thread. I LOVE IT! :T

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
    Well obviously we all have a broad range of musical tastes... and good taste too! (Except for my Sex Pistols DVD-A ops: ) ..lol. Now if we could just get a few more people contributing and reviewing this could be "the" list for people new to multi-channel audio looking for discs to spin who are un-sure on what's good or bad. There's nothing worse than diving in to a new medium and having your first listen be something that was poorly recorded and a bad example of the format. (Are you listening, Sex Pistols?)

I should be getting Sinatra Live at the Sands and Bucky Pizarelli shortly so stay tuned for my thoughts on those two

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide

Leave a comment:

• Al K
    replied
    aud 19,

Also Steely Dans latest DVD-A Everything must go! Try it, you'll like it.
    Good sound quality, a bit more mellow than Two against nature. I thought it was a nice addition!

Al

Leave a comment:

• David Meek
    replied
    Vivaldi, Metallica and Guitar Noir all in the same thread. I LOVE IT! :T

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Leave a comment:

• ronm307
    replied
    Guitar Noir (AIX) DVD-A - Laurence Juber, an acoustic jazz/blues disc. Very good performance, but the recording/audio quality is outstanding.

Ronm

"A bug! Naaa, that's a feature."

Leave a comment:

• Bam!
    replied
    Hi there aud19!

Go get it...just stop everything and go get it...there is my review!

Maybe on a more serious note, just like Metallica I don't know which format I like more 5.1 or 2 channel. For critical listening...2 channel ofcourse. The soundstage is well defined, sound is beautiful, not too bright..strong recording and some really well sort of nice pictures playing on your t.v. screen if you like that sort a thing.

Anyway 10/10 for me bud!

Take care!

Bam!

Leave a comment:

• aud19
    replied
    lol...try reading the post right above it...lol

I love my Metallica Black Album too. I shall have to look up that Vivaldi disc I think I've heard good things about it elsewhere too. Could you elaborate a little on the disc...? A little mini-review perhaps

Jason

Leave a comment:

• Bam!
    replied
    hi guys....

I lost you aud19 on that last post...

Anyhoo:Ultimate DVDA for me Metallica and Vivaldi 4 seasons...yeah from one extreme to the other.... :yesnod:

take care la!

Bam!

Leave a comment:

• aud19
    replied
    Haven't got a solution yet but I recieved an e-mail yesterday from Universal saying they're working on finding a Denon 1600 player (same as mine) to re-create the problem on there end! Pretty cool Hopefully they figure out the problem...(keeping my fingers crossed)

Jason

Leave a comment:

• aud19
    replied
    Well just purchased Carl Orff's Carmina Burnana on DVD-A, released by Deutsche Gramaphone and distributed by Universal. The stereo track sounds quite good but the biggest dissapointment is that no matter what I try, I can't seem to acess the multi-channel track that's supposed to be there! :cry: This music possitively screams for a quality multi-channel presentation!!!

I have sent off an email to D.G. and Universal who have responded with a few questions of there own but have not resolved the problem as yet. I'll try to update with info when I find out what the problem is.

Jason

Leave a comment:

• nicodim55
    replied
    The title is MOZART Youth Symphonies vol. 1 Academy of St. Martin in the Fields conducted by SIR NEVILLE MARRINER. It is a Hybrid and when in multi it's only 4 channel as it was originally recorded.

Leave a comment:

Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"