Hi-rez Blu-ray audio (Patricia Barber – “Modern Cool”)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Hi-rez Blu-ray audio (Patricia Barber – “Modern Cool”)

I came across this little beauty today. Have a look at the specs:

#1 Audio: English DTS-HD MA 5.1 / 96 kHz / 7882 kbps / 24-bit
    #2 Audio: English LPCM 2.0 / 192 kHz / 9216 kbps / 24-bit

DownBeat Magazine gave the album a coveted 5 Stars review calling it “sonically, one of the best recordings ever made by a jazz singer with a small acoustic ensemble.”

The original engineer Jim Anderson crafted the 5.1 Surround remix (24/96 kHz). The other mix is the original two track stereo master in 24/192 kHZ, which has been made available for sale for the first time on disc.

This edition of Modern Cool utilizes the Pure Audio system, a new technology that allows the user to operate the disc using the on-screen menu navigation or by remote control without a TV screen.

Cool don't you think?

wkhanna, you like Patricia Barber don’t you?

Nigel.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bigburner; 24 July 2012, 04:32 Tuesday.
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Not only is she incredibly talented (IMHO) her recordings are known in many audiophile cliques as some of the best ever engineered. So much so, that in such arenas they tend to be overplayed to the point of cause for digestive irregularities, & not appropriately appreciated for their musical & emotional merit.

You should notice an expansive dynamic range wider than the gap in agenda between American congressional parties, & backgrounds black as an unlit West Virginia coal mine & quiet as a burglar in the Louvre.

A slightly divergent genre for you, aye Nigel?
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2006

I have reservations but, then again, I don't care for her music anyway.

Kal
      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• stuofsci02
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2009

Must have!!!

Thanks for finding this!
        Main System:
        B&W 801D
        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
        Oppo BDP-105
        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
        B&W CM7
        Emotiva UMC-1
        Emotiva UPA-2
        Oppo BDP-83SE
        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Originally posted by wkhanna

A slightly divergent genre for you, aye Nigel?
          Bill I haven't got it, I simply uncovered it on my travels. I have her Café Blue CD but it isn't really my cup of tea. Maybe in time. Who knows?

Nigel.

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
            I have reservations
            What are your reservations Kal?

Nigel.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by bigburner
              What are your reservations Kal?

Nigel.
              They will be contained in a report in Stereophile due out shortly and apply to the surround mix vs. the stereo mix.

BTW, the pure audio bluray format has been around for more than a year. Info on it can be found here: http://www.pureaudio-bluray.com/
              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• stuofsci02
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2009

I have found I most often prefer the stereo mixes on Blu-ray and SACD..
                Main System:
                B&W 801D
                Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                Oppo BDP-105
                Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                B&W CM7
                Emotiva UMC-1
                Emotiva UPA-2
                Oppo BDP-83SE
                Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• wkhanna
                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

My comments, admittedly personal and bias, are based solely on 2-ch redbook CD, 2-ch HiRes rips and vinyl versions.
                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• madmac
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2010

I agree!!. I have her CD of "Nightclub" and it is one of my reference CD's. I hope this BD audio thing takes off and becomes more popular. Probably not though in today's Itune World!!.
                    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• bigburner
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                      They will be contained in a report in Stereophile due out shortly and apply to the surround mix vs. the stereo mix.
                      I look forward to reading that.

On Blu-ray video discs I am drawn to the DTS-HD MA 5.1 track because of its higher specs but often I find that the lower specced LPCM track is more to my liking. The main reason is that there is less 'confusion' on the LPCM track - for example, there is superior separation of instruments so the clarity is better. DTS-HD MA 5.1 can sometimes be too 'dense' and therefore overpowering.

I'm not in a good position to compare the two fairly because I have a 2-channel system and I rely on my BDP-95 to downmix the DTS-HD MA 5.1 track to stereo. Perhaps the downmix algorithm in my OPPO is to blame? Without a 5.1 hardware system how can I really judge?

Anyway, I now do with Blu-ray video discs what I have always done with standard DVDs. I listen to all the audio tracks on the disc and select the one that sounds best to me.

Nigel.

Comment

• Ovation
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by bigburner
                        I look forward to reading that.

On Blu-ray video discs I am drawn to the DTS-HD MA 5.1 track because of its higher specs but often I find that the lower specced LPCM track is more to my liking. The main reason is that there is less 'confusion' on the LPCM track - for example, there is superior separation of instruments so the clarity is better. DTS-HD MA 5.1 can sometimes be too 'dense' and therefore overpowering.

I'm not in a good position to compare the two fairly because I have a 2-channel system and I rely on my BDP-95 to downmix the DTS-HD MA 5.1 track to stereo. Perhaps the downmix algorithm in my OPPO is to blame? Without a 5.1 hardware system how can I really judge?

Anyway, I now do with Blu-ray video discs what I have always done with standard DVDs. I listen to all the audio tracks on the disc and select the one that sounds best to me.

Nigel.
                        Just my 2 cents, but in your setup, I would always select the two channel mix if offered, regardless of resolution differences (and, in many cases, the resolution difference is really not a difference but rather an additive bitrate count--5 channels x ybitrate vs 2 channels x ybitrate). Downmixing a MCH track to two channel is a necessary workaround in your setup if there is no 2 channel track available, but I'd rather rely on a deliberate 2 channel mix than a "downmix on the fly" if there is a 2 channel one available (that is what I do in my 2 channel living room system--always select the 2 channel option if available, movie or music). YMMV

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"