This week I will be mostly listening to.....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alloroc
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

This week I will be mostly listening to.....

As my passion is music and have a habit of spending most of my listening time in a given week to one album, I thought I'd start a thread letting you all know what I'm listening to and perhaps if anyone wants to participate, please feel free to jump in. We might even introduce new sounds to one and other.

Anyhow, I listen to a wide and varied range of sounds, and without pigeon-holing myself to a particular genre, I am always drawn to music where good guitar play exists. Could be rock, folk, country, blues and so on.

Now, with that all said, this week I have been mostly listening to an album titled 'Veneer' by an artist named Jose Gonzales - he's from Sweden oddly enough.

Veneer has been available since late April of last year, but came to people’s attention via the new 'boucy ball' advert for Sony's new Bravia range of LCD TVs. That said, Jose, produced and recorded this album himself, and it is a delicate collection of songs and has a lot to offer.

'Heartbeats', in particular has a warmth and almost soothing quality in its sound and recording. The songs are intimate but echo and resonate, the sound filling up the corners despite its scarcity. LoFi being the new HiFi so to speak.

Two of the finest songs are saved to the end - "Save Your Day" is a wonderful mix of words and guitar chords, whilst "Broken Arrows" is simply beautiful, haunted by a softened trumpet. Because of the advert, Jose has been thrust somewhat into the limelight of European success and in turn his music has reached a wider audience.

If you're looking for a album to fill your quieter moments, I'd recommend Veneer.
    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.
  • Alloroc
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Well, It's been a busy week for music with the Grammys and all, but I wanted to continue with this thread and let you know what's tickling my ears this week.

I've been mostly listening to an album that in a short space of time has become much more than than just another CD to me. The album in question is called 'Illinois' by an American musician called Sufjan Stevens. His project is to record an album for every state in the U.S. - blending local legend with real life stories.

Stevens took all of the recording, engineering and production duties upon himself. The result is an eclectic mix of songs, alternately triumphant and soaring or subdued and meditative.

Tracks such as Come On! Feel the Illinoise, Chicago and The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts depict the Land of Lincoln as thick-skinned and determined but, ultimately, hopeful. He makes a point of referencing many of the state iconic figures: Lincoln, Sandburg, Frank Lloyd Wright, Casimir Pulaski. At the same time, Stevens doesn't turn a blind eye to the darker moments of Illinois history. John Wayne Gacy Jr. recounts the sordid details of the famous serial killer's crimes. The Black Hawk War an instrumental track, is named after a particularly bloody battle between the Illinois militia and the Sauk and Fox Native Americans over land rights.

Sufjan is a real songwriting talent and for me, when I need to escape my life's toil, at home or in the car, I pop it on and it all fades to black....

Vincent.
    Last edited by Alloroc; 11 February 2006, 20:41 Saturday.
    Vincent.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

You may laugh, but I just watched the movie "Rock Star" with Mark Wahlberg again, and I REALLY like the "Steel Dragon" songs that they wrote for the movie, so I'm going to buy the soundtrack.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Most of my listening of late has been in the truck and this isn't geared toward "serious" listening. I've been listening to The Best Of Joe Walsh for the last few days and just today switched to I Ching's Of The Marsh & The Moon.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Listened to Beethoven 9th last night. Tonight I may listen to Frank Sinatra Live In Paris.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Gump
            • Sep 2005

I picked up the new Andrea Bocelli cd "Amore" and I recommend it highly. His best release in a long time IMO. The songs are beautiful and the sound production is excellent. Definitely worth a listen! :T

Comment

• Alloroc
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

Well, been real busy and not much time for and r&r and spent most of my time listening to the following album in my car.

The album in question is the "Action Packed: The Best Of The Capitol Years(CD)" by Richard Thompson. I'm not normally one for compilations, but as I have quite a few of his albums, I thought this was a nice snapshot of some of his later work, well later meaning from the late 80's to the late 90s.

Anyhow, this compilation contains some of my favourite RT trak, such as
              "Turning of the Tide," "1952 Vincent Black Lightning," "I Misunderstood," "I Feel So Good," and "Beeswing" and I must say the quality of the CD's production is very good.

Though it's a compilation it does contain a couple of previously unrelease tracks, including one with his son, Teddy.

All in all, I'm really enjoying this comp. and I think I may leave it on for another week, although I've been swapping it every so ofter with a CD by another Englishman called Richard Hawley - more of him next week.
              Vincent.

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

The last couple of days, I've been listening to the soundtrack from The Last Samurai. Excellent work from Hans Zimmer - much better than his Gladiator effort which could be rather heavy-handed at times.

Comment

• Bob
                  • Jul 2000

I have become hooked on Mary Gauthier's Mercy Now album. It is rare that I listen to a album so many times in a row. I have the cd in my car and pull out the LP at home at least once a week.

Comment

• H.Donald
                    • Aug 2004

Being a blues fan,I just found the album...Sisters and Brothers,by Maria Muldar,Eric Bibb and Rory Block.A great cd that I had missed,but has been in my player the last week.

I also like smooth jazz,and just found a new,to me,artist...Paul Taylor,I have had his Pleasure Seeker cd playing ovet time also....

Comment

• wkhanna
                      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

I just got a new to me (used) RSP-1066 hooked up and have been going thru a lot of my collection, and yet it is like hearing it for the first time! Yes, I know this isn’t the Rotel Club, but the 2-channel performance is really a step above to my previous pre-amp.

I thought I would get some music with great studio production to take advantage of the improved SQ in my system, so I got Steely Dan’s Gaucho and Aja. No regrets there. Then I bought the re-mastered Miles Davis Kind of Blue. I’m in Heaven!
                      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

I did finally get the soundtrack to "Rock Star". Overall, I like it. Unfortunately, the song I like the best from the movie and the greatest reason I bought the soundtrack, "We All Die Young", isn't quite as strong on the soundtrack as it was in the movie. But still pretty good.
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Dec 2005

Richard Hawley. Coles Corner. Buy it.
                          Go here for samples => http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=glance&n=5174

It's not often that I get pushy about music. I like to passively introduce people to different artists. But you really, really need to listen to this guy. He could well be the finest songwriter to come out of the UK in a long, long time.

I came across his work a number of years ago when he was a member of the britpop band, the Longpigs, but following a rock and roll tour of the US messed him up with drink and drugs. His friend, Jarvis Cocker invited him to join Pulp for the 'This is Hardcore' album but left Hawley emotionally and physically drained on his return to his home city, Sheffield.

He disappeared for a while, but a couple of years ago he came to my attention by appearing periodically on the wonderful BBC live music show : Later, with Jools Holland. Anyhow, he quickly got himself back on track an began releasing his own material again.

His latest offering, 'Coles Corner' is named after a local meeting spot in Sheffield, where, in past times, couples would arrange to meet while courting. Simpler, romantic times. I can relate to that - the tales my parents would tell of the various places in Dublin(some still exist) where one would anxiously wait for their date to arrive.

It's a rather old fashioned affair with songs that are nostalgic and tender without sentimentality. There is a vintage, 50's sound to the album, when Roy Orbison, Eddie Cochrane, Gene Vincent, Hank Williams, and Johnny Cash were all in their prime. It's difficult for modern-day artist to pull off such a retro sound but and Hawley's complete lack of irony and bombast on this record makes it work.

The title track "Coles Corner", "Just Like The Rain" and "The Ocean" are fine examples of modern songwriting for a mature audience. It is seems to me though Hawley does not expect 'the kids' to appreciate his music, there are much brasher and more exciting bands for them to adore. This is an album for those of us that have loved and lost, and for those of (un!)lucky :W enough have loved again.

Right enough schmaltz for now :W . I'm listening to a Canadian band called Arcade Fire. They certainly seem to be the band of the moment right now. More about them next time.
                          Last edited by Alloroc; 20 March 2006, 13:04 Monday.
                          Vincent.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2001

Originally posted by wkhanna
                            I got Steely Dan’s Gaucho and Aja. No regrets there. Then I bought the re-mastered Miles Davis Kind of Blue. I’m in Heaven!
                            Man, I just have to compliment you on your great taste in music and musicians. :T
                            My Homepage!

Comment

• wkhanna
                              • Jan 2006

Why thank you George! That's very kind of you.

BTW, anybody that does B's 9th is A1 and A-OK in my book; and as such, you will be the first recipient of my first ever and probably last use of a Smilie :T

My music collection is roughly 40% jazz, 40% classical, 20% everything else.
                              As for the everything else, I just got 'Queen, Greatest Hits I, II & III: The Platinum' as V-day gift for the wife, and was surprised how good it really is; and a while ago, for something completely different, I put on 'West Side Story'.
                              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• DelRay
                                • Jun 2004

I think I'll be listening to my new cd/dvd-a of Dire Straits "Brothers In Arms". Just came it the mail today.

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

DelRay, you're going to LOVE it! By far the best high-res audio disc I own. I use the intro to the new "Money or Nothing" as an unparalleled demo for multichannel sound use, clean sound, and just all-around kick-ass music.
                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• DelRay
                                    • Jun 2004

This is one smoking disc. Fantastic sound. And the bass hits you right in the chest. I never wanted to leave the sweet spot. Now I remember why I liked this album so much.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                      • Jan 2006

I just picked it up on Sunday.

One word......

WOW

(is WOW a word?)

And I'll put it back in tonight when I get home from work.
                                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris D
                                        I use the intro to the new "Money or Nothing" as an unparalleled demo for multichannel sound use
                                        Just curious......what settings do you use for playback in multi-channel?
                                        I'm a mostly 2-channel listener, but all the options my recently acquired RSP-1066 offer are somewhat overwhelming at this point. So I have tried listening to music in multi now that I can, but after a few minutes, I go back 2-channel. My rear surrounds are not matched to my mains, but good enough for HT for now, so that has a slight negative effect most likely; but it is interesting how the whole room fills with music when I use a setting that puts a just little sound to the rears.
                                        Last edited by Chris D; 14 November 2016, 04:43 Monday.
                                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Alloroc
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Dec 2005

Well, some nice weather finally arrived in Ireland this weekend and boy did I make the most of it. A nice long round of golf on Saturday, a bike ride yesterday morning to get the Sunday papers, and barbecue for dinner each night since Friday. Heaven. A great opportunity to sit outside, eat great grub drink some good wine and listen to some great music. I have a pair of B&W WM6s wired up outside and they produce a really nice sound on my patio.

So what did I listen to? Lots in fact. There was an Irish band called Bell-X1, another Irish band called The Frames, The Eels, David Gilmour but most of all Ryan Adams' Gold.

I was driving home on Friday and the DJ played a Ryan Adams cover - Bono and Andrea Corr performed the vocals on 'When The Stars Go Blue'. I t was a really good cover and I just had to listen to the album again. I must have played it 10 times since Friday.

Gold is one of my favorite pieces of Americana - alternative country if you will. I'm not going to go into any great detail about it as it's so well known but I will say that it contains some of the most wonderfully crafted songs ever. For example "Firecracker", "La Cienega Just Smiled", "When the Stars Go Blue", and "Harder Now That Its Over." The album is not without it's flaws - it's possibly 2-3 songs too long but with that said it seemed perfect last night, sitting outside and enjoying the night.
                                          Vincent.

Comment

• David Meek
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

I'm sitting here listening to Abbey Road by a group you may not have heard of. They're called the Beatles. It's amazing how after 37 (yes, 37) years the music on this album still reaches out and captivates me. I mean when I look at the songs off this one disc that I can listen to over and over....

Carry That Weight, Come Together, Something, Oh Darling, I Want You, You Never Give Me Your Money, Here Comes The Sun, Because, Bathroom Window, Golden Slumbers

The talent - genius even? - that poured out of those 4 young men is breathtaking.

Enough hyperbole. Now, where'd I put that volume control?

Comment

• Chris D
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Dec 2000

wkhanna, I have Dire Straits: Brothers in Arms on multichannel DVD-A. Played on my Denon DVD-3910, the DVD-A really sets the levels of sound from individual channels. I have the 3910 calibrated so that each channel plays a reference tone at THX reference levels. (equal) The BIA album in particular is very well balanced I think.

Taking your question one step further, though, I use Dolby Pro Logic IIx on my Parasound C1 processor for ALL media now, because I like it so much. Video stuff like movies and TV I use DPLIIx Movie, and for all audio like CD, I use DPLIIx Music. It extrapolates whatever input type you have to a full 7.1 surround sound format. I really think the Dolby did DPLIIx right. It immerses you in the soundfield more, instead of just presenting the material up in front of your face. It really wraps around your whole body.
                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                • Jan 2006

Thanks Chris!
                                                With my system as it is now, (a work in progress as I am evolving a 2-ch to 5.1) I am still learning the ropes of multi ch for music. Fact is, I still do not have a center speaker or sub, but having recently acquired an RSP-1066, I have been experimenting with multi ch when listening to music. In most cases, I find the result to be under whelming and with a very ‘processed’ sound. I only have one SACD, and don’t know if my copy of BIA is HD CD, or if my 1066 can make use of this format with my current CDp.
                                                I do know I love the 2 ch SQ of my 1066, and for the occasional DVD, the result is going to more than enough to meet my goals after I complete the project. I have found that when listening to multi ch music I get the most satisfying results when my rear surrounds are positioned such that they are almost facing each other.
                                                Thanks for the reply, everyone here has always been very helpful, and made it possible for me to the best choices for my needs and saved me from making costly mistakes.
                                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ovation
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Sep 2004

I plan a "classical" week:

Mahler's 4th Symphony (Fritz Reiner and CSO) SACD
                                                  Elgar's Violin Concerto, Vaughan Williams' Lark Ascending (Hilary Hahn soloist, Sir Colin Davis and LSO) SACD
                                                  Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 6 "Pathetique" (Pierre Monteux and BSO) SACD

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                    • Sep 2001

Ovation, great line up of music and performers! All SACD -- I'll be interested in your comments on the sonic quality of these discs.

Since you like Mahler's music, you might also enjoy Leonard Bernstein's valedictory renditon of Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 6 "Pathetique". He took the slow movement REALLY slow -- clocking in at about twice the length of time most conductors devote to it. The effect is stunning -- the musical contours and dramatic effect are very "Mahlerian" without losing Tchaikovsky's haunting lyricism.

This week, I'll be working my way through the complete Mozart string quartets (Quartetto Italiano -- 10 CDs on Phillips). What I have heard so far is sensational. For an occasional change of pace, I'll be revisiting the soundtrack scores for the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Gump
                                                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by DelRay
                                                      I think I'll be listening to my new cd/dvd-a of Dire Straits "Brothers In Arms". Just came it the mail today.
                                                      Even though I wasn't a big Dire Straits fan I decided to take a chance based on the accolades here for "Brothers in Arms" and bought the SACD version.

What an amazing cd! Sound quality is stunning. I listened to it over and over again mezmerized. Awsome multi-channel sound.

I have become a mainly 2-channel music fan, but this cd re-affirms that sacd/dvd-audio isn't as "dead" as some would have you believe.

This cd is now in the top spot as one of my demo discs.

Thanks for enlightening me. :T

Comment

• Kemp
                                                        • Nov 2003

I can't get enough of Pearl Jam. atm not listening to anything else
                                                        Marius

Comment

• bigburner
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • May 2005

As well as the Robin Trower CDs I talked about in A/V Chalet I'm currently giving these CDs a fair thrashing:

'Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not' - Arctic Monkeys
                                                          'The Little Willies'
                                                          'Bang' - James Gang
                                                          'Behind the Levee' - Subdudes
                                                          'Childish Things' - James McMurtry
                                                          'Eye to the Telescope' - KT Tunstell
                                                          'Howling Bells'
                                                          'If You Knew My Mind' - Grayson Capps
                                                          'Living With War' - Neil Young
                                                          'Thunderbird' - Cassandra Wilson
                                                          'Meddle' - Pink Floyd

Old, new, borrowed, blue - it's all good!

Inspired by the current issue of MOJO magazine I also gave 'Revolver' by the Beatles a whirl the other evening. What a wonderful album.

Given Marius's recommendation I'll give Pearl Jam a crack too.

Nigel.

Comment

• KeithM
                                                            • Oct 2005

This week I hope to get Eugene Mirman's new CD and maybe Brian Posehn's CD in the mail. If they don't come, it will be Advance and Vanquish by 3 inches of blood. I can't get enough of that CD.

Also I hope to actually start working sometime which will help me get the rest of Comedians of Comedy mini-CD collection. Patton was nice enough to send me his, but I don't really have contact with any others.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                              • Sep 2001

It's a Flaming Lips weekend. In addition to the awesome DVD-A "Yashimi Battles the Pink Robots", there's "Clouds Taste Metallic", "Fight Test" (mostly covers of songs written by others), "Transmissions From The Satellite Heart", and another DVD-A "The Soft Bulletin".

For some classical fun, two stellar versions of Orff's "Carmina Burana" (Jochum's on DG for flawlessly engaging musicality; Shaw and the Atlanta Symphony on Telarc for sheer joy and sonic perfection).

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
                                                                It's a Flaming Lips weekend. In addition to the awesome DVD-A "Yashimi Battles the Pink Robots", there's "Clouds Taste Metallic", "Fight Test" (mostly covers of songs written by others), "Transmissions From The Satellite Heart", and another DVD-A "The Soft Bulletin".
                                                                The Flaming Lips are really great. Saw them live in Dublin a while back.

I've not had the chance to add new stuff these days. Am travelling quite a bit and web access is really quite limited.

I was on a bit of a Lou Reed and Fleetwood Mac thing over the weekend. Must have played Rumours and Transformer about 10 times each.

I also got Cracker's new album - Greenland on Saturday. Only listened to it once. Cracker are probably my fav. American band. I'm a huge fan of that 'Alternative/Garage Country' sound. Wilco are another fav. of mine.

Anyhow, that's about that. Hopefully, I'll get something up in more detail sometime soon.

V.
                                                                Vincent.

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Aug 2000

Will be listening to. . . ? I'm not sure at the moment. I've been feeling a little pink of late, as in Pink Floyd, not pink robots. I've been spinning

Meddle
                                                                  Animals
                                                                  Wish You Were Here
                                                                  The Division Bell

in just about equal parts the last few evenings.

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Aug 2000

So far this weekend it's been:

Styx - Grand Illusion, Equinox, Pieces Of Eight
                                                                    Queensryche - Empire, Promised Land, Operation Mindcrime

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Aug 2000

It's turning into a "dig out the favs day". Add:

Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill
                                                                      Pink Floyd - The Wall
                                                                      Traffic - The Low Spark Of High-Heeled Boys

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Dec 2000

Listening to lots today. I'm currently on Megadeath of all things, "Coundown to Extinction" and "Cryptic Writings". And I'm not a metal fan or anything, but those guys make great music.
                                                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2005
                                                                          • 2649

"Adieu False Heart" by Linda Ronstadt & Ann Savoy. I heard it for the first time last night and it's a great late-evening album, i.e, mellow. It might not get played ALL week, but it's a definite play-again.
                                                                          Attached Files

Comment

• KeithM
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Oct 2005
                                                                            • 285

metalheads or not, pick up the new Blind Guardian CD, a Twist in the Myth. If you like music, odds are you'll like it. Seriously, buy it.
                                                                            Here's where you can listen to it find out what you're missing out on

Comment

Working...
                                                                            😀
                                                                            😂
                                                                            🥰
                                                                            😘
                                                                            🤢
                                                                            😎
                                                                            😞
                                                                            😡
                                                                            👍
                                                                            👎
                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                            Search Result for "|||"