Clear All
  • r100gs
    • May 2005

Interesting

Jay
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

They have been around for several years. I don't really see the point , myself. A properly set up tonearm and cartridge put very little pressure on the record. And for that kind of money I could put together a very nice vinyl rig.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• r100gs
      • May 2005

Reminds me of a 8-track. Would have been in its heyday before the compact disc.
      Jay

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

If a laser beam is picking up the records information I don't see how the whole process could be analog??
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by madmac
          If a laser beam is picking up the records information I don't see how the whole process could be analog??
          The information on the record is analog. Vibrations in the groove correspond directly to the vibrations in the music, no digital stuff there. The laser and photodiode/transistor setup do the same thing as a traditional stylus and cartridge, converting the groove vibrations into an analog audio signal, which is sent to the outputs and ultimately to your amp/speakers. A laser doesn't make something digital, it's how the medium is recorded. An optical system isn't limited to reading just ones and zeros. Laserdiscs contained analog video as well.

Now if they took the analog signal "read" off the vinyl by the laser and ran it through an ADC to make it digital, DSP to condition the signal, and then back to analog with a DAC, then there would be digital in the signal path, but according to the article, they don't do that. It's just as analog as a traditional turntable.

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

" converting the groove vibrations into an analog audio signal "

Meaning that initially it's a digital interpretation of the groove modulations no ?

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

No more so than converting the mechanical vibrations of the stylus scratching the surface of the disc. There is no analogue to digital conversion happening in the mechanism (just like Laserdisc players were analogue video players).

Comment

• Kevin P
                • Aug 2000

" converting the groove vibrations into an analog audio signal "

Meaning that initially it's a digital interpretation of the groove modulations no ?
                Nope, analog. The laser reflects off the groove and hits a phototransistor. The vibrations in the groove reflect the laser in different directions, causing its intensity on the phototransistor to vary, and thus the output from the phototransistor varies accordingly. It's a direct analog representation of whatever the groove contains, so, it's not digital. Instead of a stylus, coil and magnet creating the signal, it's a laser and phototransistor circuit creating basically the same signal, using light reflection to create a voltage rather than mechanical vibrations. Optical/electronic instead of mechanical but the result is still analog.

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Kevin P
                  Nope, analog. The laser reflects off the groove and hits a phototransistor. The vibrations in the groove reflect the laser in different directions, causing its intensity on the phototransistor to vary, and thus the output from the phototransistor varies accordingly. It's a direct analog representation of whatever the groove contains, so, it's not digital. Instead of a stylus, coil and magnet creating the signal, it's a laser and phototransistor circuit creating basically the same signal, using light reflection to create a voltage rather than mechanical vibrations. Optical/electronic instead of mechanical but the result is still analog.
                  Fascinating !! However, with a price tag of $15K , we might as well spin vinyl the old fashioned way!

Comment

• Kevin P
                    • Aug 2000

Fascinating !! However, with a price tag of $15K , we might as well spin vinyl the old fashioned way!
                    True, but for those who would be dropping $15K on a traditional vinyl setup anyway, this is a cool option, assuming it works well and has the sound quality of a $15K setup.

Comment

• Alaric
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

If I drop $15k on a vinyl rig I'm going to want to pick my cartridge , set it up and align it , fine tune it , set the tracking and the weight , level the table , and then enjoy the fruits of my labor. Playing with the gear is part of the process for me. Doesn't mean the laser thingy is bad , just that it isn't good for me. I suspect I'm getting old.
                      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                      Schiit Modi 3
                      Marantz CD5005
                      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• wkhanna
                        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Every time a record is played on a conventional rig with a stylus riding in the vinyl groove, microscopic wear & damage is taking place.
                        Over time, this process will cause audible damage/distortion.

The beauty of this devise is that there is no physical contact with the record groove.
                        Thus there is no wear & subsequent damage/distortion to the vinyl.

Your vinyl stays pristine regardless of the number of plays.

This is why many of us vinylphiles digitize our vinyl libraries.
                        Last edited by wkhanna; 01 August 2015, 13:14 Saturday. Reason: change 'ring' to 'rig'
                        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"