X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kimmosto
    • Dec 2006

2.0.85.4 (2022-05-07)

Impulse response
    * Added ETC smooth text box, width range 0-8 samples, initial/default 2. Value saved to user settings.

Convert IR to FR
    * Added ETC smooth text box, width range 0-8 samples, initial/default 2. Value saved to FFT session file and user settings.
    * ETC length reduced from 16k to 8k samples to maintain performance.
    VituixCAD, Features, User manual, Measurements with CLIO, ARTA, REW, SoundEasy, Download

Comment

• kimmosto
      • Dec 2006

Preference rating window has become quite complex. Now I've tried to go few steps back by keeping equations 9 and 10 (as bad) as they are in Olive's patent, and leave mathematical and logical corrections to custom equation only.

2.0.85.5 (2022-05-08 )

Preference rating
      * NBD calculation group removed. Equation 9 uses NBD calculation sensitive to slope to be compatible with Olive's patent application.
      Custom equation uses NBD calculation insensitive to slope to avoid built in assumptions and conflicts with other NBD and SM results.
      * Equations 9 and 10 use SM calculation sensitive to slope to be compatible with Olive's patent application.
      Custom equation uses SM calculation insensitive to slope to avoid built in assumptions and conflicts with other SM and NBD results.
      * Equations 9 and 10 use LFX and LFQ calculation sensitive to directivity at LF to be compatible with Olive's patent application.
      Custom equation uses LFX and LFQ calculation insensitive to directivity at LF so support directive LF radiators such as dipoles and cardioids.
      * Slope targets are available for custom equation only.
      * Added slope targets in dB/oct.

User manual has more nagging too.
      VituixCAD, Features, User manual, Measurements with CLIO, ARTA, REW, SoundEasy, Download

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by kimmosto
        Preference rating window has become quite complex. Now I've tried to go few steps back by keeping equations 9 and 10 (as bad) as they are in Olive's patent, and leave mathematical and logical corrections to custom equation only.

2.0.85.5 (2022-05-08 )

User manual has more nagging too.
        I especially like this part!

:rofl:
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• fluid
          • May 2021

Small piece of information for anyone upgrading their OS to Windows 11, the default DPI scaling makes all the box text and options text large in Vituix and maybe other programs too.

Changing this setting in the registry fixed it for me and got things back to normal

Click image for larger version

Name:	DPI Scale.png
Views:	1
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	866786

Comment

• kimmosto
            • Dec 2006

2.0.85.6 (2022-05-28 )

General
            * Show column in Traces window changed to read only for driver-related traces to control visibility via driver component in XO schematic only.

Impulse response
            * Range of timing offset extended to maximum taps to enable full time for phase linearisation.
            * Frequency response at HF extrapolated as flat without slope detection to improve IR quality.
            * Added Traces... command to context menu of IR chart.
            * Added 'Save as overlay' command to context menu of IR chart.

Convert IR to FR
            * Removed 'Open overlay' command from context menu of IR chart.

Comment

• mv8
              • May 2021

Hi Kimmo, I have a question about exporting impulses to simulate passive and active crossovers with EQ APO. The problem is that if the crossover has a driver in reverse polarity, the program does not take this into account when exporting the impulse. Am I doing something wrong, or have I found a bug?
              Attached Files

Comment

• kimmosto
                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by mv8
                The problem is that if the crossover has a driver in reverse polarity, the program does not take this into account when exporting the impulse.
                That is original feature since version 1.1, done quite a while ago so philosophy has probably been that polarity inversion of driver is hard-wired also while using software convolution such as Equalizer APO. Crossover simulator inverts acoustical signal i.e. polarity of "electrical signal" does not change without active buffer block. That can added before passive components for each way if you cannot swap wires e.g. due to soldered connections and Speakon connectors.

Comment

• mv8
                  • May 2021

Thank you for your reply. Maybe it would be enough to add an option to invert polarity the impulse before export?

Comment

• kimmosto
                    • Dec 2006

^I can also change the program so that polarity inversion of driver inverts IR export by default (without checkbox). It's very easy and fast to do, and probably other users hope or expect that physical connection does not require changes.

Comment

• mv8
                      • May 2021

Sounds great! When I test different crossover filtering with EQ APO, I have several crossovers loaded and I switch them on the fly. However, if one of them has the polarity of one of the speakers reversed, then I have to manually change the cables every time. This fix will surely make life easier for many users.

Comment

• kimmosto
                        • Dec 2006

^New build is on the server. Revision number is not changed so you need to download and install manually.

Comment

• kimmosto
                          • Dec 2006

2.0.85.8 (2022-05-30)

Calculator
                          * Mouse wheel adjusts Y-axis maximum, and Ctrl + mouse wheel adjusts Y-axis span.
                          * Calculation started when Invert individual response A or Invert response B or 'Linear result mag.' is checked/unchecked.

Comment

• tktran
                            • Jan 2005

Hello Kimmo,

I have a feature request in the Enclosure section.

Just like I can have 8 crossovers in the crossover section, I wonder if it is possible to compare and contrast different enclosures?

21L BR box tuned to 36Hz vs 15L box with passive radiator tuned to 40Hz. Select model 1 vs model 2 vs model 3 and how it affects my F3/F6/F10 or GD or excursion or SPL

best regards,
                            Thanh

Comment

• kimmosto
                              • Dec 2006

^Enclosure tool has enclosure projects, project lists/groups and overlays so it has everything required for comparing boxes or drivers or boxes+drivers.

Comment

• tktran
                                • Jan 2005

Aha! The down arrow next to Projects. Silly me...

Comment

• kimmosto
                                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by tktran
                                  Aha! The down arrow next to Projects. Silly me...
                                  Not silly at all. Changing enclosure project for comparison is very fast compared to project loading with Open button, but the feature is quite artificial (imo) built on older features. Changing project list and driver database are also quite artificial, but paying customer requested them so "I had no choice"

Comment

• Reet
                                    • Dec 2007

Not silly at all. Changing enclosure project for comparison is very fast compared to project loading with Open button, but the feature is quite artificial (imo) built on older features. Changing project list and driver database are also quite artificial, but paying customer requested them so "I had no choice"
                                    While on topic of the Enclosure tool, one feature I would like to recommend is some change to the clunky "filter" operation to search the database which opens a separate window. I would much rather see empty "filter" row at the top of the driver database, so you can simply type in the filter criteria at the top of each column you wish to filter. This makes it easy to quickly search the database and see the filters that are in place without a separate window.
                                    https://discord.gg/h5SuNKDJfx

Comment

• kimmosto
                                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Reet
                                      I would much rather see empty "filter" row at the top of the driver database, so you can simply type in the filter criteria at the top of each column you wish to filter.
                                      I like that approach too, but there are few challenges with implementation and space. Single field for numerical values would require some text syntax to specify min and max. Two fields is required to avoid that, and enable adjusting with mouse wheel or plain numbers. Extra rows need more space from window. Filter probably requires separate grid component due to integrated sorting so column order and widths must be equal, and horizontal scrolling of different grids must be synchronized. Text fields need just single row so some cells would be disabled/gray.

Original filtering was few text boxes right above driver grid. Numerical fields (other than Size) were not included so it was quite limited compared to existing.

Existing separate window was added ~3.5 years ago to 2.0.5.6 (2018-11-07) to include all fields and min-max sliders in addition to min and max text boxes with mpouse wheel support. That can be hidden which saves screen space for driver grid and charts, and it is well-featured. It can be continuously visible on the left with full HD resolution. It's not clunky in my opinion, but vertical record alignment is more difficult to link visually to driver grid.

Comment

• Reet
                                        • Dec 2007

Yeah, I get it. To be honest I rarely use any filtering by driver parameters, it is usually manufacturer and model fields that I am filtering to create direct comparisons of drivers I am looking at or have on hand, where the ability to simply type the first few characters of the make/model to narrow down the database list would be preferable, and filtering is easier than scrolling through the large database that includes many unavailable/obsolete drivers. Maybe that "artificial" secondary driver database is a better solution for me to decrease the database size down to just the drivers I care about.

I have large 3440x1440 screen so screen real-estate is not much of a problem for me, but I can't say that for all users, as I'm sure there's many users with 1366x768 laptop monitors with rather limited screen space.

Comment

• kimmosto
                                          • Dec 2006

Yeah, I get it.
                                          It would be very nice to have filtering fields right above driver table, but modification has some risks due to complexity of existing code. I already tested that column order, column tracking, width of columns and synchronized scrolling are doable without problems. Limiting between minimum and maximum value in a column, and adjusting with mouse wheel require the same tricks as existing. Sliders should be removed. It would be ready in few days and probably with few bugs

Comment

• kimmosto
                                            • Dec 2006

Last edited by kimmosto; 04 June 2022, 15:29 Saturday. Reason: double post

Comment

• kimmosto
                                              • Dec 2006

Preliminary release with database filtering criteria above driver table in Enclosure tool: https://kimmosaunisto.net/Software/V...5.10_setup.exe

Please download, test, compare to separate filtering window of the latest official release (2.0.85.9), give feedback and vote which one is better.

Numerical fields don't have constraints (yet) so you can enter higher value to minimum (bottom row) than maximum limit (top row) showing zero records. That is also doable as limiting or tracking if unlimited sucks.

Comment

• Reet
                                                • Dec 2007

Thanks so much, I think it's a given that this updated filtering arrangement is getting my vote. Same functionality, but IMO it is less "clunky" and a more modern UI interaction.

Another suggestion I have would be to keep the enclosure window visible when adding or editing driver parameters. I'm not sure why the rest of the program is hidden when doing this, the reason I would like to keep it visible is simply to make sure I enter manufacturer and model information in the same format as other drivers in the database, with spaces and hyphens where required. It's more easily done if the database window doesn't disappear on me.

Comment

• HTDT89
                                                  • Sep 2018

vote which one is better.
                                                  Slight preference for new style, because criteria remain visible. Even at 1080p, reduced vertical space is minor loss.

Numerical fields don't have constraints (yet) so you can enter higher value to minimum (bottom row) than maximum limit (top row)
                                                  Use single line for criteria input but support multiple values (as in Model) and ranges? e.g., Size = "12 15 18" or "12-18"?

I frequently use ctrl+F to add drivers for comparison, regardless of filter settings. It would be useful to have the reverse feature when right clicking driver: Hide Selected Row(s).

Also after adding a driver with ctrl+F, count of visible drivers is not updated.

IIRC, old filtering had Cancel button. Now: Apply a filter. Begin typing into a filter-value box, then press Esc. The filter is applied again instead of cancelling changes. This removes drivers which do not match filter but were added with ctrl+F.

Comment

• kimmosto
                                                    • Dec 2006

Another suggestion I have would be to keep the enclosure window visible when adding or editing driver parameters. I'm not sure why the rest of the program is hidden when doing this...
                                                    Source of T/S parameters is usually other program: measurement program, datasheet as pdf, web page or some other box simulator. Adding driver is quite close to impossible without minimizing main Enclosure window because Enclosure window is large and cannot be moved or minimized while Add driver window is visible. Program with source data will he hidden below large Enclosure window or Add driver window is not active for entering data. Showing two large windows on top is possible with large 4K screen, but normally with e.g. 1920x1080 chances are close to zero. So this feature will remain. Tricks for imitating Manufacturer and Model are copy-paste parameters or Duplicate row, and then edit.

Comment

• kimmosto
                                                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by HTDT89
                                                      Use single line for criteria input but support multiple values (as in Model) and ranges? e.g., Size = "12 15 18" or "12-18"?
                                                      Multiple values could be usable for Size field, but not so much for other numerical parameters anymore due to multiple decimals.
                                                      "12-18" style requires documented syntax using - or <> characters, and mouse wheel function would be more complex requiring e.g. Shift for low limit and Ctrl for high limit, or to be removed completely. The first official release probably has separate rows for min and max to make wheeling easier.

I frequently use ctrl+F to add drivers for comparison, regardless of filter settings. It would be useful to have the reverse feature when right clicking driver: Hide Selected Row(s).
                                                      I can consider this. One minor problem is that the latest build of .10 marks changed cells with yellow background and checks Selected field while 'Update database' function to help finding what was updated (without entering revision text). So Update database command is forced to reset possible reverse setting.

Also after adding a driver with ctrl+F, count of visible drivers is not updated.
                                                      Yes, count label is updated after filter change and database loading, but not otherwise. The latest build of .10 updates counts also after update, delete and duplicate commands, but it's still integrated to filtering function. I'll try to separate row counting from filtering.

IIRC, old filtering had Cancel button. Now: Apply a filter. Begin typing into a filter-value box, then press Esc. The filter is applied again instead of cancelling changes. This removes drivers which do not match filter but were added with ctrl+F.
                                                      Capturing Esc, Tab, Enter etc. key strokes is more difficult with datagridview control than with textbox control due to triggering order of events. "Your" Ctrl+F trick could suffer some feature losses in this modification. It was not designed for flexible co-operation with filter. Just for preventing program crash and showing record user was searching for.

Comment

• kimmosto
                                                        • Dec 2006

Official release 2.0.86.0 is out. New filtering won by two votes. The rest of ca. 2000 users did not vote Thanks for your first feedback. Development continues...

2.0.86.0 (2022-06-06)

Enclosure
                                                        * Driver database filtering criteria moved from separate window to grid above drivers table. Separate filtering window removed.
                                                        * 'Hide rows' command added to context menu of drivers table.
                                                        * Changed cells in drivers table are marked with highlighted background and checked Sel field after 'Update database' command. New rows and changed cells are easy to find by filtering with Sel field, without entering revision text to Update database window.
                                                        * Visible/total row count is refreshed after Delete rows, Duplicate rows and Find commands.

Comment

• Reet
                                                          • Dec 2007

Adding driver is quite close to impossible without minimizing main Enclosure window because Enclosure window is large and cannot be moved or minimized while Add driver window is visible.
                                                          I don't understand. The add driver window can be placed over top of the enclosure window, there's no need to hide it. Similarly, Enclosure window, diffraction window, calculator tool windows are all large but are visible without minimizing or hiding the main program window. The functionality I am looking for is simply this:

Name:	2022-06-06 08_35_51-Greenshot image editor.png
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	866863

Comment

• Reet
                                                            • Dec 2007

Official release 2.0.86.0 is out. New filtering won by two votes. The rest of ca. 2000 users did not vote Thanks for your first feedback. Development continues...
                                                            And here I thought software development was a dictatorship . Thanks!

Comment

• HTDT89
                                                              • Sep 2018

Enclosure
                                                              * 'Hide rows' command added to context menu of drivers table.
                                                              * Visible/total row count is refreshed after Delete rows, Duplicate rows and Find commands.
                                                              Thanks for including these. If any changes cause trouble, all of my comments are low importance. It's easy enough to add traces for comparison, then use filter to produce short list of visible drivers.

Comment

• kimmosto
                                                                • Dec 2006

there's no need to hide it
                                                                Yes there is if Add driver window opens as modal dialog box.
                                                                In the beginning you have three open windows: main program, Enclosure tool and for example web browser with driver data you want to add to local database.

Then you click [+] button in Enclosure for adding new driver. Add driver window opens to top, but Enclosure tool will rise below it i.e. above web browser hiding source data. So you cannot look & write or copy-paste values from the browser to Add driver window without activating browser and then Add driver window and then browser and then Add driver and so on until all fields are done. That is difficult and slow to use and will not make comeback to Enclosure tool.

Existing system with minimizing of main program and Enclosure tool looks like the following. Easy to look & write or copy-paste because source and destination windows are visible and Add driver window can be moved a bit if some parameter is hiding below.

Opening Add driver window as normal independent window would be only competitive alternative. It's also doable but not planned.

Comment

• Reet
                                                                  • Dec 2007

Then you click [+] button in Enclosure for adding new driver. Add driver window opens to top, but Enclosure tool will rise below it i.e. above web browser hiding source data.
                                                                  Thanks for the detailed explanation with screenshots. I don't understand why the enclosure window needs to rise above the browser window, they can (and should) be treated independently. I find this behaviour annoying in many applications though.
                                                                  Opening Add driver window as normal independent window would be only competitive alternative. It's also doable but not planned.
                                                                  Perfect, that is the way . But, not a big deal, these are minor inconveniences again, I just have to close the add driver window to verify that "Scan-Speak" is hyphenated in the database and go back, but that is my problem for having the memory retention of a gold fish.

Comment

• kimmosto
                                                                    • Dec 2006

I just have to close the add driver window to verify that "Scan-Speak" is hyphenated in the database and go back...
                                                                    Or download & install the latest build (2022-06-07). After that press and hold Shift key while clicking Add button. Program copies Manufacturer, Type and Status from currently selected driver.
                                                                    Or use one of the methods mentioned earlier: select driver (whole row), Copy as xml from context menu, click Add new button, click Paste button. Modify parameters for new driver. Or duplicate single row and modify parameters.

Comment

• kimmosto
                                                                      • Dec 2006

I don't understand why the enclosure window needs to rise above the browser window, they can (and should) be treated independently.
                                                                      Microsoft Windows works so that parent window is activated (moves on top) automatically when modal dialog (called by the parent) is activated. Only method to override this feature is to change window type from modal dialog to normal window such as Enclosure tool itself. After that program needs some changes to structure and UI. Such as both windows must be loaded and kept in memory in order to exchange data between them.

Comment

• Reet
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Dec 2007

Or download & install the latest build (2022-06-07). After that press and hold Shift key while clicking Add button. Program copies Manufacturer, Type and Status from currently selected driver.
                                                                        Or use one of the methods mentioned earlier: select driver (whole row), Copy as xml from context menu, click Add new button, click Paste button. Modify parameters for new driver. Or duplicate single row and modify parameters.
                                                                        These solutions will work for me.

Comment

• kimmosto
                                                                          Moderator
                                                                          • Dec 2006

Small bug in Diffraction tool found. Calculation was not completely done when New button was pressed. Adjusting driver size was required in some cases. That is fixed in the latest build. Thanks to Japan for catching this.

Comment

• kimmosto
                                                                            Moderator
                                                                            • Dec 2006
                                                                            • 584

Changes after 2022-06-06 collected to automatically updating 2.0.87.0 (2022-06-09)

Enclosure
                                                                            * Manufacturer, Type and Status of currently selected driver are copied to new driver if Shift key is pressed while Add driver button is pressed.
                                                                            * Minimum difference between added masses with Dual added mass method reduced from 1.0 to 0.1 gramms to support also very light cone drivers.
                                                                            * Added free value parameters V1, V2, V3, V4, V5 to drivers database.
                                                                            * Added free text parameters T1, T2, T3, T4, T5 to drivers database.

Diffraction
                                                                            * Fixed diffraction calculation when New button is pressed, but Dd or Sd or WxH is not yet adjusted.

Comment

• Reet
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Dec 2007
                                                                              • 511

Something weird is going on with latest versions of VituixCAD. I made the mistake of selecting "polar chart" by accident, instead of polar map. Selecting polar chart, then back to any of the other polar views will break the display, scaling is screwed up and nothing shown. See X axis in the screenshot below. Adjusting the frequency scaling range at the top of the program window will fix the problem.

Name:	Screenshot_20220609_173601.png
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	866874

Comment

• kimmosto
                                                                                Moderator
                                                                                • Dec 2006
                                                                                • 584

^Maybe no one is using polar chart anymore because X-axis handling of all charts in the main program and enclosure tool was modified to 2.0.85.2 (2022-04-23) and few program lines for other than Polar were still missing. Thanks for catching that.

2.0.87.1 (2022-06-10)

Main
                                                                                * X-axis scale of Directivity chart refreshed when type is changed from Polar chart to any other. Bug since 2.0.85.2 (2022-04-23).

Comment

• Nordo
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Jun 2022
                                                                                  • 12

Quick Question :-

When measuring my drivers in their cabinet around the Y axis, given that my drivers (2 way design) are symetrical on the baffle and have the same Y axis, can I just measure the various angles on one side only - say the left side - then copy the result, change the name to "right", and add them to the results?
                                                                                  The measurements will be taken outside (any reflections should be distant), or inside a large garage where any reflection can be easily gated out.

Comment

• kimmosto
                                                                                    Moderator
                                                                                    • Dec 2006
                                                                                    • 584

^Measurement instructions give exact answer for horizontal plane, but vertical has more options because box could produce small different from up to down. See my signature after "Measurements with".

Comment

• Nordo
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Jun 2022
                                                                                      • 12

^Measurement instructions give exact answer for horizontal plane, but vertical has more options because box could produce small different from up to down. See my signature after "Measurements with".
                                                                                      Hi Kimmo
                                                                                      Sorry if you missunderstood me.
                                                                                      I meant measurements rotating around the Y (vertical) axis i.e taken on the horizontal plane at, say, tweeter level.
                                                                                      I just wanted confirmation that the left and right measurements should be virtually the same assuming everything is symetrical (driver placement on baffle, measurement room walls, etc.)

EDIT - Sorry Kimmo, I eventually found the answer in your Measurement Instructions (for REW).ops:
                                                                                      Last edited by Nordo; 15 June 2022, 21:59 Wednesday.

Comment

• Nordo
                                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                                        • Jun 2022
                                                                                        • 12

Another Question :-
                                                                                        If you open VCAD and start a new or different project, are "Options", "Preference Ratings" and "Optimizer" on their default settings, or do they retain the settings from the last time you used VCAD?
                                                                                        Also are their settings retained with your saved project - "vxp"?

Comment

• Reet
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Dec 2007
                                                                                          • 511

Originally posted by Nordo
                                                                                          Another Question :-
                                                                                          If you open VCAD and start a new or different project, are "Options", "Preference Ratings" and "Optimizer" on their default settings, or do they retain the settings from the last time you used VCAD?
                                                                                          You can probably answer this question yourself, no?

Originally posted by Nordo
                                                                                          Also are their settings retained with your saved project - "vxp"?
                                                                                          Program settings are not part of the project file. VituixCAD files are XML data, so you can open them with any text editor and read the data contained within.

Comment

• Nordo
                                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                                            • Jun 2022
                                                                                            • 12

@reet
                                                                                            Thanks. The only reason I was asking was that after playing with the VCAD settings for a while, I decided to load one of Kimmo's demo files and play with it.
                                                                                            But then I noticed that a lot of the settings in the files I mentioned above were similar to the way I had left them after playing with them.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            😀
                                                                                            😂
                                                                                            🥰
                                                                                            😘
                                                                                            🤢
                                                                                            😎
                                                                                            😞
                                                                                            😡
                                                                                            👍
                                                                                            👎
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"