Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mga2009
    replied
    Steve, thanks for your reply!

Yes, I already know and tried that (picture attached)

Still there is no comparison to the picture uploaded by the OP.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-05-29 131237.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	866052
    Last edited by theSven; 06 April 2023, 18:38 Thursday. Reason: Update image location

Leave a comment:

• Steve Manning
    replied
    Originally posted by mga2009
    Sorry I lift this thread form the dead, but I am building 5x speakers with the MCM 54-580 / Pylepro PH65 6.5" shallow waveguide but I only managed to get 3 of them.

It seems the only way is to machine or 3d print new ones, but I don't have the exact measurements or the CAD file.

I modeled it with Sketchup Make using the measures posted in Zaph's TMM website but I cant get that smooth surface I assume I need for a correct FR.

So, Is the 3D CAD file mentioned by the OP available to public?

Looking forward to your reply.

Cheers.

You might already know this, but if not ..... SketchUp lets (or a least last I used it) you set the number of points in a curve. The higher the number the smoother the curve. It uses more CPU time and takes longer to machine but it works.

Leave a comment:

• mga2009
    replied
    Originally posted by mmu7
    Do you by any chance have the original CAD files left? I'd like to try machining a set of waveguides myself. How thick a plastic stock did you use.
    Sorry I lift this thread form the dead, but I am building 5x speakers with the MCM 54-580 / Pylepro PH65 6.5" shallow waveguide but I only managed to get 3 of them.

It seems the only way is to machine or 3d print new ones, but I don't have the exact measurements or the CAD file.

I modeled it with Sketchup Make using the measures posted in Zaph's TMM website but I cant get that smooth surface I assume I need for a correct FR.

So, Is the 3D CAD file mentioned by the OP available to public?

Looking forward to your reply.

Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• mmu7
    replied
    Do you by any chance have the original CAD files left? I'd like to try machining a set of waveguides myself. How thick a plastic stock did you use.

Leave a comment:

• JonMarsh
    replied
    Originally posted by jlaakso
    Hi Jon, unfortunately I have only few pairs left, two with original profile described in the first post and one pair for Seas Prestige tweeters. Mainly 27TD(F)C and others with similar faceplate. Just sold a pair to csmielke and I think I will hold on to the ones on my shelf, sorry. You never know when You need a waveguide
    I know how that goes! I'm still holding on to some Jantzen waveguides I bought direct from them!

Leave a comment:

• kevinm
    replied
    Those are beautiful!

Leave a comment:

• Steve Manning
    replied
    Jon and others .... I posted I ran across this a while back, http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php...topic=125057.0, don't know what they charge but they seem to turn out nice stuff. Obviously you get get a local CNC shop to do the same but they seem to cater to audio stuff already.

Leave a comment:

• jlaakso
    replied
    Hi Jon, unfortunately I have only few pairs left, two with original profile described in the first post and one pair for Seas Prestige tweeters. Mainly 27TD(F)C and others with similar faceplate. Just sold a pair to csmielke and I think I will hold on to the ones on my shelf, sorry. You never know when You need a waveguide

Leave a comment:

• JonMarsh
    replied
    I'll chime in that if you really have 30 waveguides lying around, I'd be pleased to take a few off your hands, name your price.

Best regards,

Jon

Leave a comment:

• csmielke
    replied
    Joni,
    By chance do you have a pair of the waveguides left that I might purchase? I am new to the forum and have an interest in a floor-standing version of the Modula MT XE and it sure would make it easier. Let me know and I hope this does not cause an issue for you.
    Thanks
    Chris

Leave a comment:

• JonMarsh
    replied
    If someone can provide me dimensions of 6600's faceplate (diameter of the center hole and depth of the bevel mainly) I can check if the WG is compatible or what changes it would need. Mouth of the waveguide is suitable for D2608/9130, but it is a bit too small for R2604/832000 (Vifa XT25TG). I have some of those Vifa's on shelf and my plan is to modify some of the WGs to fit them as well. Mainly widening the mouth and removing the lip.

BTW, I do not know the trade/sales policies in this forum and I hope these comments are not considered as an advertisement. I am not trying to make profit with these WGs, only sharing them for those who are not able to fabricate their own. On our local forum I have quite strict policy (me being the admin and moderator) on selling and advertising and I want to be sure I am not breaking any rules here either
    No worries, Joni- this is looked on more as helping out other DIY enthusiasts with a specialty item that's hard to find otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• Juhazi
    replied
    jlaakso,
    solid work! - I come from Savo and in every man from eastern Finlad there is a small Russian inside! We don't even paint our barns and outhouses!

Leave a comment:

• jlaakso
    replied
    If someone can provide me dimensions of 6600's faceplate (diameter of the center hole and depth of the bevel mainly) I can check if the WG is compatible or what changes it would need. Mouth of the waveguide is suitable for D2608/9130, but it is a bit too small for R2604/832000 (Vifa XT25TG). I have some of those Vifa's on shelf and my plan is to modify some of the WGs to fit them as well. Mainly widening the mouth and removing the lip.

BTW, I do not know the trade/sales policies in this forum and I hope these comments are not considered as an advertisement. I am not trying to make profit with these WGs, only sharing them for those who are not able to fabricate their own. On our local forum I have quite strict policy (me being the admin and moderator) on selling and advertising and I want to be sure I am not breaking any rules here either

Leave a comment:

• dar47
    replied
    Originally posted by JonMarsh
    Jantzen makes and sells these, too, which is where my current stock comes from; but Joni's implementation is very neat and specific! I've been pondering trying something with the air-circ after the Isiris crossover in finalized and last build finished.
    After the Ardents I was thinking of the 2.5 version of the XE's, great bang for buck! Maybe I'll wait and see what you cook up.

Joni guides look really well built and at approx.$150 for 4 delivered seems a good value, that's if they fit the 6600 as well.

I really do need to stay patient and stop getting ahead of myself. Example new TT and vinyl, spying a BDP-105, preamp and mono's and now working on the next next build. 8O
    Glad I didn't run ahead and buy parts for the Ardent cause this new twist looks really good.
    Last edited by theSven; 06 April 2023, 18:37 Thursday. Reason: Fix quote

Leave a comment:

• Face
    replied
    Jon, if you're looking for plug and play waveguides, check these out: http://www.pellegreneacoustics.com/waveguides.htm

Leave a comment:

• JonMarsh
    replied
    Jantzen makes and sells these, too, which is where my current stock comes from; but Joni's implementation is very neat and specific! I've been pondering trying something with the air-circ after the Isiris crossover in finalized and last build finished.

Leave a comment:

• jlaakso
    replied
    Originally posted by benchtester
    Yours is a great looking and easy to install waveguide! Is it made out of aluminum?
    POM plastic. Beautiful stuff. That profile surface is made with single cnc run, no polishing etc.

Leave a comment:

• benchtester
    replied
    The waveguide

.... Biggest issue with this project was the waveguide. The legendary MCM waveguides are no longer available, and there aren't that many substitutes that work with D2608/9130. ...

Joni
    Yours is a great looking and easy to install waveguide! Is it made out of aluminum?

For the less ambitious, the "MCM" waveguide is available as the PylePro PH65 from Pyle. (Which still needs modification to mate with the D2608/9130.)

Another source is:

The proprietor is Erich H a DIY'er. Sure looks like the same waveguide at a great price.

Leave a comment:

• JonW
    replied
    Wow. Those came out beautifully. :T Very nice job. Kudos on the lengths you went to make the waveguide, too. I'd love to hear these.

Leave a comment:

• jlaakso
    replied
    Thank you all for the kind words.

Dar47, I will send you pm about the waveguides later today (it's 7AM here). I'm more than happy to sell them, I don't think I will build 12 pairs of speakers any time soon

Leave a comment:

• dar47
    replied
    So, nice!

Everyone that hears mine raves. Your option would really lend itself to the 2.5 version. If your willing to part with some of those wave guides let me know, I would love to do a 2.5 version.

This may seem like a lot of effort but I think you are already enjoying the effort, Great job

Leave a comment:

• JonMarsh
    replied
    Hello Joni- looks very good! Very nice build! I like your phrase describing the default HF resistor sound as "analytic but calm"!

Just touched down in NJ on the way to Scotland, not much time to post, but happy to see yours here today.

Leave a comment:

• Finleyville
    replied
    As long you are happy then all is well! Very nice job with those waveguides!

Leave a comment:

• Jonasz
    replied
    Sweet! :T

Leave a comment:

• jlaakso
    started a topic Modula MT XE floorstander

Modula MT XE floorstander

The project started out a bit backwards or, literally, from top to down. I acquired the tweeters for a fair price and wanted to build something around them. One option would've been to start creating something of my own, but at this point it would've too much. Life and such sometimes gives directives you can not avoid

Anyhow, tweeters were acquired and I started evaluating designs which I could find publicly available. There wasn't really many and Jon's Modula MT XE shined, with a big margin. There is lot of thought put into the design and the pdf was/is very insightful. Jon was also very supportive during the build process. I wonder why so few have built these. Or publicly admitted it

The waveguide

Biggest issue with this project was the waveguide. The legendary MCM waveguides are no longer available, and there aren't that many substitutes that work with D2608/9130. After a while I grew tired of trying to fing suitable waveguide and had a chat with our local (I live in Finland) DIY community. Helpful fellow hobbyist offer to make these and we ordered 1 meter (3') of POM bar. Little bit of modeling and testing plus CNC machining and voila, user friendly waveguide. Only thing you need, is sealing tape and four wood screws to attach the tweeter. Now I have 24 waveguides to spare, I wonder if I'll ever build a speaker without one

Name:	suuntainhalkaistu.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	932516

Name:	IMG_4867.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	932517

Name:	IMG_4941.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	932518

The cabinet

I had to make some sacrifices with the cabinet. First of all, it's white. Blasphemy, I know The other one is size and shape. 0.75cu PE box is, well, a bulky fo me. Original design is 10" wide, I made it 8.5" wide and extended the cabinet to be a floorstander. Lower compartment is sealed off and reserved for crossovers.

Internal volume is approx. 22 liters and port tuning around 40Hz. 40Hz sounded the best, being a compromise between extension and mid bass attack.

Name:	IMG_4948.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	932519

Name:	IMG_4937.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	932520

Name:	IMG_4953.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	932521

The crossover

Nothing out of the ordinary, if we count out the mad science of Jon's. Actually, the crossover layout isn't that daunting at all, compared to Jon's other designs I followed the specs more or less to the letter, choosing a bit cheaper coil for bass section. Components are glued to 6mm MDF boards with SuperFix and voicing components are connected with terminal blocks. That way they are easy to change if needed. I experimented with the treble level (R4) for a while and I ended up with the default value, that seemed to bring the sparkle I wanted yet keeping the voicing analytic but calm. I still wonder what the other resistor (R6) does. I tried default and extremes and I'm not sure if I heard any differences

Name:	IMG_4870.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	932522

Placement

As with any boxed loudspeaker, these want to be at least 2' (measured from baffle) from concrete wall in order to avoid midbass humps. Other than that, they seem to be quite easy to place. Toe inn does not make much difference although they need to be a bit toed inn if side walls are close. Otherwise stereo imaging disintegrates.

The Sound

Wow. It has Sound with capital letter. As Jon describes, they are never shouty even with higher levels. There are limitations what on 6.5" element can produce in shere SPL, but with my typical listening levels there is no hint of reaching the limits. They just produce the sound and sort of disappear. With ease.

I presented these in our local DIY event this month. Many visitors complemented the sound being calm, balanced and precise. Here is a short write up of the event. I wanted to present publicly available designs so that beginners like me would have more confidence in starting the DIY journey. Not everyone can design a speaker but most enthusiasts/diy-curious can build cabinets and solder crossovers.

I am very pleased with the speakers and I assume they will be my reference speakers for years.

Joni
    Last edited by theSven; 06 April 2023, 18:29 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
Working...
😀
😂
🥰
😘
🤢
😎
😞
😡
👍
👎
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"