X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Couple of historically themed shiny discs

I know it's been a while (far too many reasons to list here as to why--short version, crazy/insane workload from late summer to holidays (50-60 hours a week of work plus 20 hours a week in my car commuting for that work PLUS, earlier in the year, an appendectomy with nearly fatal complications leading to a long recovery) but I do have a couple of things I've watched recently that might be of interest.

One is a recent movie (released last fall): The Last Duel

Visually striking and period appropriate (as is customary for Sir Ridley Scott). Based on a true historical event--the last legally sanctioned duel in France for purposes of "Trial by Combat". In December of 1386, a knight and a squire face off in a series of medieval combat contests to the death. The wife of the knight accused the squire of rape. The film is well acted (Matt Damon, Adam Driver as the knight and squire, respectively; Jodie Comer as the wife; Ben Affleck in a supporting role as a French noble; various smaller supporting roles--good performances all around). Structured like the Kurosawa classic Rashomon, where multiple versions of a story (also a rape) are told from the perspectives of the main characters. A movie that requires paying some attention and having an appetite for historical themes presented, as much as possible, with an authentic feel for the period (High Middle Ages in France). Perhaps not for everyone but well-worth it for anyone looking for more than just the jousting.

One is a mini-series from Britain, based on one of my favourite novels (by one of my favourite authors--Len Deighton): SS-GB

A five hour/five part mini-series of an alternate history of the Battle of Britain. In this version, Britain loses the aerial battle and Germany invades southern England and occupies it. It's 1941 and the story starts with a murder investigated by a Scotland Yard detective (civilian murder, so still under the jurisdiction of local police). But, of course, it's not a simple civilian murder. Things evolve from there (don't want to spoil it). Attention to detail is excellent, the cast is also highly effective (actual German actors for German roles, and good chunks of German dialogue with sub-titles, though not so much so as to turn off people who don't like sub-titles). This is probably harder to find, at least on disc, than The Last Duel but I believe it's also available in some streaming formats for those inclined to use them.

Again, sorry about the long gap since my last suggestion, but I hope to offer some more frequently going forward.
Working...
😀
😂
🥰
😘
🤢
😎
😞
😡
👍
👎
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"