X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Classic double bill tonight

Classic film double bill tonight--Delmer Dave’s Cowboy ( 1958 ) and Henry Hathaway’s noir, Kiss of Death (1947). Each has been sitting on my shelf (unwrapped until now) for too long. On BD from Twilight Times.
    Last edited by Ovation; 16 May 2020, 20:27 Saturday.
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

thanks for the tip!
    some great classics there!
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Quite enjoyed both films. Kiss of Death had an especially good performance by Richard Widmark (his first film role). It was shot almost entirely on location in and around NYC. Highly recommended.

Cowboy was also enjoyable, if somewhat less memorable in terms of any individual performances. Still worth checking out for Glenn Ford and a very young Jack Lemmon. Delmar Daves made several westerns (among them Broken Arrow and the original 3:10 to Yuma) and while they were never as epic in scope as the best of John Ford, they are commendable for a degree of realism not often found in westerns of that era, both in landscape and in interpersonal relations.

Now that my semester is over and the archives are still inaccessible (so my PhD research is on hold), I'll have time to go through some of that too large pile of unwrapped movies on my shelf.

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Just watched The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit. A very interesting period piece (now--was contemporary in 1956) with surprisingly nuanced themes for a Hayes Code era production in the mid-1950s.

Star Trek link--DeForest Kelley appears, for about 35 seconds, as an Army medic in the Pacific theatre during a flashback scene.

A bit long, uneven, and episodic, but as a cultural document of its time, quite worthy of a viewing. Plus, Gregory Peck in his prime is never a bad thing.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"