X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Family movie night in the age of the Coronavirus

We did something we've not been able to do for a while now (with an 18 year old, it's tough to get everyone at home at the same time). We had a family movie night. Back to the Future III (the only one my daughter had not seen--the rest of us have seen them all several times over). It had been a while (probably 10+ years) since I'd watched it from start to finish. It looked good on the new (from Christmas) 4K TV in the living room (the cave is temporarily out of order as I've not had time to install the new screen and projector mount--even with the "stay home" orders, I still have too many things to do before I get to that). Had forgotten a few details that made it fun to watch again.

Anyone re-visiting classics in this time of "watch TV instead of going out"?
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

I've been buying Star Trek series on BD (if available) or DVD and watching them on weekends. Due to my life in general I've been isolated for the past couple years anyway so this isn't much different. I'm on Deep Space Nine now. Next will be Voyager.

BTTF trilogy is in my top 5 favorite movies, so I'll have to watch them again soon. Now that spring has sprung I'll be outside more (doing yard work, walking the neighborhood, getting the pool ready).

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

The stack of work related viewing is very high at the moment (I've acquired about 20 or so PBS American Experience history documentaries--most with multiple discs), so if I wanted, I could spend the next several weeks watching them and call it "work" (I will be sampling some to suggest to my students, as we've moved to online class delivery and we can't screen the excerpts in class anymore). Would be helpful if my wife and kids shared my interests--I'd get through more of them more quickly. But I'm on my own for those.

Thankfully, I have a well-stocked BD/DVD collection with films of all genres, so we can remained entertained as long as we don't lose power. If it gets to that point, I have the complete Monty Python and Fawlty Towers scripts on hand in book form--we'll put on plays like in "the before time".

I'm thinking ET or Close Encounters for next week's family movie night. Or somewhat lighter--Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (my kids are now at an age where they could appreciate it).

I guess we can all now point to our A/V gear and large collections of movies/TV shows/music as "planning ahead for a pandemic" and consider ourselves geniuses, right? :^x

Comment

• technodanvan
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Ovation
        Or somewhat lighter--Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (my kids are now at an age where they could appreciate it).
        That's one of many movies I remember loving when I was a kid but have not seen since. I should get around to it sometime if only to actually understand the humor.
        - Danny

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

I watched Independence Day (the original on DVD) last night. Haven't seen it probably since I had it on laserdisc in the late 90s.

Wonder how the sequels were.

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Kevin P
            I watched Independence Day (the original on DVD) last night. Haven't seen it probably since I had it on laserdisc in the late 90s.

Wonder how the sequels were.
            Only one sequel I think (haven't seen it). Only saw Independence Day once, at the cinema on opening weekend. 'Bout the only thing I recall is the destruction of the White House. How does it hold up for entertainment?

Comment

• Kevin P
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Ovation
              Only one sequel I think (haven't seen it). Only saw Independence Day once, at the cinema on opening weekend. 'Bout the only thing I recall is the destruction of the White House. How does it hold up for entertainment?
              I'd say it's holding up pretty well for its age. Especially since Hollywood seems to have run out of original ideas and only does reboots and sequels nowadays.

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

We watched Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure for our most recent family movie night. My wife and I hadn't seen it since it was at the cinema in 1988--a blast from the past. Kids (18 and 14) enjoyed most of it (though puzzled by a few 80s era bits). Underneath the silliness, it's actually a cleverer time travel story than most (and I've probably watched 90% of all time travel movies/tv shows--and read many dozens of books with time travel). The blu-ray upscaled through our new (since Christmas) 4K TV looked better than I'd have expected.

Looking forward to our next one (still trying to decide what to watch).

Cheers all, and stay safe.

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Family movie night has started to slide around the schedule (usually it's on the weekend). Tonight we watched Joe vs. The Volcano. None of us had seen it (bought it some years ago on the recommendation of work colleague--DVD still wrapped in cellophane 8O:lol: ). Really had no idea what to expect. Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. My wife expected something like Sleepless in Seattle (NOT EVEN CLOSE). My kids had no expectations (Just another of dad's weird movies from the 80s/90s). I...was legitimately in the dark. I loved it--it's weird, funny, has an ambiguous ending (I love that--rest of the household, not so much :lol: ), has a 1990 Meg Ryan to look at. Nothing epic. Not a "top ten movie". Still a lot of fun (especially for the 5$ it cost--I looked up the Amazon order after the movie). It's what the DVD jacket label says--a fable.

Surprisingly, it upscaled very nicely from DVD to 4K via a 10+ year old Samsung basic BD player (far better than some other, more recent, DVDs I've watched on the same gear).

Comment

• Ovation
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Most recent movie night was Friday night--a cinematic classic: Smokey and the Bandit. A nice, light-hearted romp with lots of laughs. Made for a great distraction from current events. The 40th Anniversary Blu-ray looked very nice upscaled to 4K.

Comment

• Stoney
                      • Dec 2004

Joe vs. The Volcano. One of my favorite movies when I'm feeling down and just kind of tired of life. "Brain Fog". It's been in my collection for quite a while.
                      Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
                      Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
                      B&W DM605 S2 Mains
                      DM602 S2 Surrounds
                      DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
                      CC6 S2 Center.
                      ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"