• Apr 2001

Club Anthem

Anthem talk here.

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Michael Mohrmann
    • Feb 2003

It is probably not worth having a dedicated Anthem (Paradigm) forum after all. Maybe in combination with another manufacturer (like the B&K/Harman forum), but not on its own. Seems most people don't want to talk about Anthem unless the AVM-20's software has bugs or is broken. There is very little wrong with the AVM-20's v2.10 software, as far as what has been uncovered, hence very little discussion.

Michael

Comment

• tominizer
      • Aug 2003

IT has caught my eye. Was also looking at the Rotel 1066. I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts on the piece in comparison to other pieces they have been looking at.

I also like the idea that sonic frontiers is right around the corner from my house Hmmmmmmmmm, now just have to make this current system go away so I can pull out the shopping shoes !!!!

Comment

• Matt Sprouls
        • Apr 2003

Anthem's support is unreal. I Emailed them with a problem and Nick responded with a fix within minutes.

First Class all the way.

Matt
        Regards,
        Matt

Comment

• jimmyp58
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

I also posted this in the Audio Hideout section. Anthem will be releasing by year's end, their Statement P5 amplifier. It is 325W X 5 @ 8 ohms, has two power cords that must be plugged into two dedicated/isolated 20-amp circuits, has circuit breakers vs. fuses, and weighs in excess of 140 pounds. It has a preliminary U.S. MSRP of $5,000.

They were initially going to release this as a set in combo with their new Statement D1 pre-pro (MSRP $6,000) and Statement P2 amplifier (2-channel) but they have had some unforeseen hiccups with the D1 which will indefinitely delay its release. As a result, they decided to go ahead and release the P5 without the pre-pro.

They began production earlier this week and anticipate having general shipment by mid to late December 2003.

Looks like an unbelievable multi-channel amp!

Jim
          jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Michael Mohrmann
            • Feb 2003

I find it interesting that the D1 is once again delayed. When it was first suggested that the D1 would be released over a year ago, my first thought was it didn't really provide much more than what the AVM-20 already possessed. Since that time, Anthem has upgraded the AVM-20's software to add even more features and flexibility, while at the same time boosting the sound quality of the AVM-20. It seems that Anthem keeps raising its own bar!

This current delay may be related to the latest round of software bugs in the v2.10 software. Most of these deal with popping noises occurring during digital signal recognition. It is not that uncommon of a problem, as I have experienced this with many receivers and processors, some I have owned and auditioned, and those of friends and family. But it appears Anthem is doing everything it can to eliminate them. Given the wide range of digital sources available, it is a daunting task.

Michael

Comment

• Dan Schulze
              • Jun 2003

Hi All,

Glad to see an Anthem thread here. Anyway, recently purchased Anthem AVM 20/MCA 50 combo.

Getting ready to compliment them with B&W's. Should be awesome.

I am curious about the new, yet to be released 325W amp.

Jim, glad you have some info on their new stuff. The only thing I had seen until now is here:

Dan

I want to be SHAKEN not stirred!!
              My Home Theater

Comment

• Michael Mohrmann
                • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Dan Schulze
                Glad to see an Anthem thread here. Anyway, recently purchased Anthem AVM 20/MCA 50 combo.
                Dan,

I was wondering if you have experienced any pops with your system when powered on? There are a few individuals posting over at HTF that have described hearing pops in their speakers when powered on. What they have in common is that they have the same components as you, an AVM-20 and a MCA-50 (some have an additional amp).

For them, it doesn't seem to matter whether the MCA-50 is powered on before or after the AVM-20, or whether the MCA-50 is triggered on by the AVM-20 or through the MCA-50's "auto on" feature (which senses a signal and then powers on). Some have tried other amps (including other Anthem amps) and the problem goes away.

Just curious about your particular setup. Hope you are enjoying it!

Michael

Comment

• Michael Mohrmann
                  • Feb 2003

Originally posted by jimmyp58
                  They were initially going to release this as a set in combo with their new Statement D1 pre-pro (MSRP $6,000) and Statement P2 amplifier (2-channel) but they have had some unforeseen hiccups with the D1 which will indefinitely delay its release.
                  Jim,

You seem to be pretty much in the know about the Anthem Statement products that are being developed. My question is do you believe that Anthem will offer some sort of trade-in program for those owners of the AVM-20 towards the purchase of the D1?

Michael

Comment

• Michael Mohrmann
                    • Feb 2003

Hey Lex,

If I submit enough posts to myself (it would appear that I am talking to myself again on this forum!), can I have an Anthem forum?

It is pretty obvious I am making a point here, so don't worry about responding. How can a product so popular in the online world not generate enough interest for at least one post a day on this forum?

Michael

Comment

• jimmyp58
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

Michael:

Not sure what Anthem and/or its dealers will do regarding trade-ups. I was told by Nick that the P5 went into production a couple weeks ago and that it should be released by month's end (November) or very early December. I wanted to pre-order the amp but the local rep told me he can't take pre-orders for awhile because his U.S. distributor said it will be some time yet (no definition around "some time") before Sonic Frontiers gives the distributors the go-ahead. Wish I could give better news.

For me though, I wanted to do something quickly and I didn't want to wait around much longer so I decided to purchase a Bryston 7B SST (600W @ 8 ohms monoblock) for my center channel --- this will complement my Bryston 14B SST (600W X 2 @ 8 ohms) that power my fronts as well as an Earthquake CineNova Grande 5 (300W X 5 @ 8 ohms --- 5 distinct monoblocks in one enclosure) for my surrounds. The CineNova Grande 5 is very similar to the P5 in that it weighs a ton (well not really but it certainly seems that way), has a circuit breaker instead of fuses, and has a very similar power rating. It is a highly regarded amp in the likes of Krell, Bryston, & Theta but cost me a fraction of what the P5 would have set me back. Plus it has a 10 year warranty which is a significant advantage over Anthem products. The monoblock design was a plus because if one amp goes bad, you simply detach that amp and send it in for repair yet you continue using the "working" channels.

If I hear any other news, I'll post it here.

Jim
                      jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Michael Mohrmann
                        • Feb 2003

Jim,

Thanks for the response. Given what I know about the D1, I am trying to figure out what it would take for some people to purchase it over the AVM-20. Sure, the D1 may sound better than the AVM-20, but at almost double the cost? And for that cost, how many extra features is the D1 going to have that the AVM-20 does not?

I guess this is why I first started thinking about a trade-in program for the AVM-20 owners. Current AVM-20 owners would be more likely than most to want to get the D1. Of course, this might make sense if the D1 were to be widely available, But with very limited production, I don't think so.

At least for myself, it doesn't matter. I will be sticking with the AVM-20 regardless of the outcome. I simply can't afford the extra $2500 or so (probably more) it would take to get the D1. Thankfully, my wife and I are more than satisfied with the AVM-20.

Michael

Comment

• Michael Mohrmann
                          • Feb 2003

I was wondering if there were any AVM-20 owners on this forum who were experiencing the pops associated with the v2.10 software and currently have a beta test version (v2.11+) that solved the problem? If so, may I ask if there were any other changes made to the software and was there any noticable difference to the sound quality of the AVM-20?

Thanks!

Michael

Comment

• Michael Mohrmann
                            • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Michael Mohrmann
                            I was wondering if there were any AVM-20 owners on this forum who were experiencing the pops associated with the v2.10 software and currently have a beta test version (v2.11+) that solved the problem? If so, may I ask if there were any other changes made to the software and was there any noticable difference to the sound quality of the AVM-20?
                            Cricket sounds...cricket sounds...more cricket sounds...sigh

Comment

• Dan Schulze
                              • Jun 2003

Cricket sounds...cricket sounds...more cricket sounds...sigh
                              Michael,

Sorry to take so long to respond. but you asked me directly, and then to anyone, so I figured I'd better pipe up and say something.

As for the pops, every once in a while I will hear a pop, or click type sound out of one of my speakers, it usually has been one of the surrounds. I have the AVM20 and the MCA50 for the amp. I am using to trigger on the AVM20 to switch one of my sets of outlets on my Monster HTS 5100 Power Conditioner. I have the power switch on the amp on all the time, so it turns off and on by way of the power conditioner. I have my sub set up the same way. When the amp and the sub powers up I hear a couple of clicks, but I have considered that normal. What does cause me to take notice is the very intermittent click or pop type sound during a movie. In addition to the pop/click sound, once in a great while, probably once every 2-3 weeks or so, the sound will get muffled, just as if someone has stuck a sock where my speaker drivers would be. I can promptly get the sound back to normal by switching to a different input then back again. Funny, I have only noticed that during a movie with DD5.1. I have never noticed with music or with DTS5.1.

I am patiently waiting for the next official firmware upgrade to ver 2.12. I know there has been up to ver 2.11h, if memory serves, but I don't consider my problem serious enough to go after these "interm" versions. I am patient since I want to give Anthem time to work out any problems first.

Sorry about the lengthy post - I ramble sometimes!!

Dan

My Home Theater

Comment

• Michael Mohrmann
                                • Feb 2003

Dan,

I think we have had a similar discussion elsewhere on the WWW! It seems that the MCA-50 exhibits this behavior in more than just a few systems. Not that the AVM-20 is without fault here. I have noticed the pops upon powering up the AVM-20 when my amps are already on. I think many B&K Ref50 owners are experiencing similar pops, like during digital signal recognition. The only difference here is that B&K gets a pass by their owners because they are led to believe that a muting circuit will degrade the Ref50's sound quality. OTOH, Anthem is trashed quite severely for having this so-called defect, with some AVM-20 owners demanding a fix. The only good news in all of this is that Anthem will do everything it can to eliminate this "feature".

Okay, time to get off of my soapbox! :x

Michael

Comment

• Michael Mohrmann
                                  • Feb 2003

To all AVM-20 owners,

Anthem has posted AVM-20 v2.12 software on their web site:

Changes included in v2.12 are listed at the link below:

Michael

Comment

• Dan Schulze
                                    • Jun 2003

Michael,

I think we have had a similar discussion elsewhere on the WWW!
                                    Yup!!!! Gotta keep the forums alive!!! :LOL:

Dan

My Home Theater

Comment

• tominizer
                                      • Aug 2003

anyone home ?!?!?!?

Comment

• Michael Mohrmann
                                        • Feb 2003

Originally posted by tominizer
                                        anyone home ?!?!?!?
                                        I have been out of pocket recently, but yeah, I am around. Only problem is very few want to post Anthem discussion here. Too bad, Anthem owners could have had a dedciated forum to discuss individual topics.

You can find many Anthem owners on HTF, where most of the AVM-20 discussions are, but in all honesty, I would have liked to have seen the Anthem Club succeed here.

Michael

Comment

• Michael Mohrmann
                                          • Feb 2003

{This post (not the upgrade) belongs in one of those "why bother?" categories}

Looks like Anthem has released v2.13 for the AVM-20. Primary change is the Digital Circuit Muting option. I guess this addresses the pops and click some AVM-20 owners were having with digital sources.

Upgrade page: http://www.anthemav.com/NewSitev2.0/...areUpdate.html

List of v2.13 changes: http://www.anthemav.com/NewSitev2.0/...res_v2.13.html

Michael

Comment

• Chris D
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Dec 2000

I think it would be great to have an Anthem Club. Unfortunately, the higher and higher you climb up the ladder of fine A/V, though, the more exclusive it becomes. It would probably be tough to have enough interest for an entire Club. Heck, it's tough some days getting posts for Club Parasound.
                                            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                            - Pleasantville

Comment

• Michael Mohrmann
                                              • Feb 2003

Chris,

There has been enough interest online about Anthem in the last couple of years (the long AVM-20 threads on HTF are testimony to it). It is just that those threads have become a magnet for many AVM-20 owners, and once there, most feel little desire to move to another forum.

I would have liked a dedicated Anthem forum for separate AVM-20 topics (and soon-to-be D1 topics!), but I couldn't convince enough people to switch (lord knows I tried in the background). Nothing against HTF, they have allowed our long AVM-20 threads without moderator intervention (which speaks well for those who posted in the threads). I just wanted the flexibility of separate topics. The long threads become burdensome to read after awhile.

I probably didn't push the Anthem Club idea very hard partly because, truth be told, I found that browsing this forum to be a bit on the slow and sluggish side. The latest hosting of this forum is far better now. Maybe with the D1 coming out and DPLIIx being added to the AVM-20, there will be renewed interest in discussing Anthem online again.

Michael

Comment

• NMyTree
                                                • May 2004

Hello Folks, new guy here.

I own the Anthem MCA50 Amp, and I'm having the same problem with the popping sounds, when I power up.

But otherwise I love this Amp. Great performer.
                                                Last edited by NMyTree; 13 May 2004, 10:14 Thursday.
                                                Tony

Comment

• Michael Mohrmann
                                                  • Feb 2003

Originally posted by NMyTree
                                                  I own the Anthem MCA50 Amp, and I'm having the same problem with the popping sounds, when I power up.
                                                  How are you turning on the MCA-50? The power switch? The "Auto" sensing feature? The 12V trigger?

Michael

Comment

• NMyTree
                                                    • May 2004

I'm using the Power Button. No matter what sequence I start pressing Power Buttons, there's just about always a pop in my speakers. Although, and oddly enough, there have been about two or times it didn't happen.

I don't understand why.
                                                    Tony

Comment

• Michael Mohrmann
                                                      • Feb 2003

Originally posted by NMyTree
                                                      I'm using the Power Button. No matter what sequence I start pressing Power Buttons, there's just about always a pop in my speakers. Although, and oddly enough, there have been about two or times it didn't happen.

I don't understand why.
                                                      You might want to email Anthem and ask them, but from the posts I have seen in the past, the popping noise at power-on or "Auto"-on seems to be a common occurrence of the MCA-50.

I have also noticed this with some other amps I have auditioned or owned, including the Marantz MA-700s I own now. They would emit a popping sound in the speakers when my processor was on prior to powering on the amps.

I solved this issue by using the 12V trigger on the AVM-20 to power on the MA-700s (from standby mode). If your receiver/processor has a 12V trigger capability, you might want to use that instead of using the power switch.

Michael

Comment

• NMyTree
                                                        • May 2004

Well, right now I'm just using an old Hafler 110 Pre-Amp. It's ancient....lol. But I have the Anthem AVM20 in my sights, and should have it purchased by the end of June.

As well as the 12V Trigger cables. But I'll call Anthem and see what they say.

Thanks for the help, Michael. Much appreciated!!!

I have to say it again, other than the popping problem......I really love this Amp.
                                                        Tony

Comment

• NMyTree
                                                          • May 2004

I'm also considering the TLP1 for a seperate system in my home office.

Would like to hear some opinions/experiences with the TLP1.
                                                          Tony

Comment

• boe
                                                            • Jul 2004

Are you still happy with your purchase

The anthem processor looks like a good system although I haven't heard it which is the key. Would you still recommend this processor or is there something new that has caught your eye/ear?

Thanks
                                                            Last edited by boe; 04 December 2004, 19:37 Saturday. Reason: clarification

Comment

• Q-Man
                                                              • Mar 2004

I wish you guys would discribe or discuss what you like or dislike about your Anthems. :Z
                                                              What did you use before buying the Anthem?
                                                              Is the Anthem an improvement in sound?
                                                              Do you like all it's features? It has a lot more features then most processors.

Bass management and DSP's for the 5.1 analog imputs is something that no one elce offers, and I think it will be very usefull. Our you using it?

I'm thinking of buying the AVM30 or the Parasound C2, or the B&K Reference 50 series 2. The 50 series 2 just came out with 3 notch filters, and a equilizer. It might be worth it for those two features alone. You can tailer the sound to your room. But again, no bass management for the 5.1 analog inputs.

Come on help us guys out that are thing of buying one. :cry:

Comment

• mikeyc
                                                                • Sep 2004

Q-man those are all great questions. I'm interested in an AVM30 and MCA50 so I'm eager to hear some feedback also. Come on guys!

Comment

• whoaru99
                                                                  • Jul 2004

I really like my Anthem AVM-20 (v2.14), but unfortunately my previous processor was a $200 Sony DPL or DD/5.1 outboard unit so I can't really offer too much insight into other more comparable processors. It sounded OK, but the Anthem bests it handily with detail, spaciousness, and much better dialog from the center.

I did bring home a Rotel 1068 to audition before the Anthem and ended up bringing it back because it had too much hiss for my liking - clearly audible from my listening position. Also, with my system, I occasionally heard just a small amount of sibilance on vocals from the center channel and overall it sounded just a bit thin on the bottom to me. Probably not specifically a problem with the Rotel, but more likely just incompatibility with the gain of my power amps as I had to turn the volume WAY up to get decent sound level. I had gone through all the settings numerous times and even consulted the Rotel dealer, but ended up bringing it back for those reasons.

I had no intention of buying or even auditioning the Anthem because the price was out of my range. But, the dealer I bought it from told me that they had picked up Anthem's remaining stock of AVM-20 and were selling them at blow-out prices in anticipation of the AVM-30. Whether the part about them buying Anthem's remaining stock is true or not I don't know. But the price I was given put the AVM-20 only a few hundred bucks over what was already a nice price on the Rotel so I could not refuse. This was before the AVM-30 was officially released so it was a fabulous deal at the time. In fact, even now it seems that many used version 2's are selling for about the same or even more than what I paid for mine NIB.

With my gear, the Anthem is for all intents and purposes dead silent. I have to literally crank the volume to max and put my ear within several inches of the tweeter to hear any hiss. Also, I do not detect any sibilance through the center channel and the bottom end has the weight I wasn't getting with the Rotel in my system.

For reference, the amps are Yamaha M-80's for front L/R and center, Yamaha M-40 for side surrounds, and the amp section of an Onkyo stereo receiver for the rear surrounds (yes, that leaves one unused channel on one of the M-80's in case anyone was counting). The speakers are Definitives all around, BP30 front, CLR2000 center, BP2 side and rear surround, PF1500 sub.

I just recently acquired a Mark Levinson No. 23, that I'm experimenting with now to see if I want to dedicate it strictly for serious 2-ch in Zone 2 or use it for the front L/R speakers in the HT and get rid of the Onkyo receiver for the rear surrounds by reassigning one of the Yamahas to that duty.

As you have mentioned, the feature set is pretty good, although some other processors are catching up or exceeding in some areas like auto room calibration, etc. But for me I'm still satisifed with the AVM-20 and I'll be keeping it for some time yet. For what it's worth, my brother is an Audio Engineer by education and trade, and is quite impressed with the Anthem's capabilities.

IMHO, most of my gear is at the point were I'd have to spend MUCH more money to get significantly better sound quality. With the exception of the speakers, I think. I've been listening to a pair of Ellis Audio 1801's and, while fine for HT, I'm finding the Def Techs a bit lacking for clarity in pure 2-ch listening. I don't know if the Ellis speakers are right for me because I would like a bit more volume and bottom end, but the mid-bass and up is to die for with the Ellis speakers. Even the wide soundstage for which bipolars are known, is slightly bested by the direct radiating Ellis speakers. So, for me, any more major expenditures will probably be in speakers - if anything.

Sorry to ramble, but it is a system and it all works together for the experience.

Regards,
                                                                  Todd

PS: Anyone heard anything about DPL IIx for the AVM-20? I see it's now old news for the AVM-30 and D-1.
                                                                  There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• Lefteris
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Feb 2005

Hi, just one question. Concerning the lower frequencies, how does the MCA50 perform? I'm not looking for only o "punchy" bass, but also analytical, and controlled (for music listening). I would demo it, but in Greece, you have to get to the other side of town to find a proper shop. By the way, what's that I'm reading about a popping sound? Thanks
                                                                    Miles Smiles

Comment

• VinceS
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Jan 2005

I'm considering getting the AVM 30 and would like to review its manual. Unfortunately I can't get the download from the Anthem webstie to complete. Does anyone here have an electronic edition of the manual to email, or a working link.

Thanks

Comment

• markusp
                                                                        • Jul 2004

I believe it is essentially the same manual as the AVM 20 just that it has an extra component video output. Setup is virtually the same.

Comment

• Av8or
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • Feb 2005

Anthem AVM30 manual .pdf

I have a downloaded copy of Anthem's .pdf manual for the AVM30. Msg me if you want me to email it to you or whatever. :T

Comment

• VinceS
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Jan 2005
                                                                            • 12

When all else fails, read the instructions!!

Finally found this on their website:

"Having problems downloading or viewing our PDFs?
                                                                            Due to the large file sizes you may encounter difficulties.
                                                                            Please try the following:

PC Users: To download PDF documents for viewing off line, right click with your mouse and select "Save target as" and choose the location you want to save the file to (such as your desktop)."

Problem solved

Comment

• soldonandy
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Mar 2005
                                                                              • 32

#39
                                                                              I recently "upgraded" from a Rotel 1075 to an Anthem MCA 50, I liked the Rotel but just wanted more power. My dealer had an MCA 50 floor model and I chose that over the Rotel 1095. Just curious if anyone has any opinions on the MCA 50 in general and how it compares to the Rotels. The Anthem sounds more detailed but I am not sure that is such a good thing with my already bright M&Ks.

Comment

• cuda65
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Feb 2005
                                                                                • 734

#40
                                                                                I have an Anthem MCA 30. It sounds great with the Paradigm speakers I have. I tried the Rotel with the Paradigms but I liked the Anthem better. Just my 2cents. I have no experience with the M&K.
                                                                                Doug

Comment

• Bugsy
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Feb 2004
                                                                                  • 26

#41
                                                                                  Firmware version 2.20 for the AVM 20 is now available for d/l from the Anthem website. I have had it since Sunday, no problems at all, and DPL11X sounds sweet in my 7.1 setup. Cheers.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Apr 2003
                                                                                    • 1204

#42
                                                                                    Does anyone know when the D-2 is due out?
                                                                                    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Oct 2002
                                                                                      • 344

#43
                                                                                      The D2 is out. You can read my impressions here if you want:

A forum community dedicated to home theater owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about home audio/video, TVs, projectors, screens, receivers, speakers, projects, DIY’s, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

With some nice screeenshots from the combo gennum VXP processing and Sony "Ruby".
                                                                                      To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Apr 2003
                                                                                        • 1204

#44
                                                                                        Just got mine. Huge improvement over the Rotel RSP 1098.
                                                                                        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• mitch57
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Nov 2004
                                                                                          • 429

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by DrJRapp
                                                                                          Just got mine. Huge improvement over the Rotel RSP 1098.

Care to elaborate a little more on your impressions? I'm considering the AVM 50 or maybe the D2. But the cost scares me.
                                                                                          Mitch
                                                                                          :stupidpc:

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"