X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alpina
    • Nov 2005

Boston Acoustic P Series & Bravo II

Hi all,

Anyone had any experience with these speakers, particularly the P460, P450 and Bravo II?

Feeling torn between the option of discreet wall mounted speakers like these or possibly the b&w fpm6's or bookshelf and matching center at front with wall mounted at rear.

We understand that these speakers are a compromise when compared with bookshelves and floor standers but aesthetics are important too and the domestic market seems to be heading in the direction.

Of course we will compliment this setup with a thumping sub to make up for any deficiencies in the low end.

We have added pictures of our room to give you an idea of what we are trying to achieve.

How important is it that these speakers are positioned close to the plasma. of course the center will be positioned directly below but is it practical to place left and right fronts away from screen and angle in towards sofa and expect good results?

I have had a lot of difficulties finding any advice on these speakers and perhaps it has to do with it's high price by comparison to what is out there?

Please help as this is all beginning to stress me out big time.

Many thanks,

Julie
    Attached Files
    My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880
  • tomd51
    • Apr 2006

Suggestions...

Hi Julie;
    Haven't had any experience with the P series in particular, but they are very similar to the Bravos in specifications and components. Having said that, the Bravos sound stage belie their diminutive size, they are excellent performers and are competent with both movie soundtracks as well as music. I really don't believe these would be much of a compromise when compared to most bookshelf models, unless you're comparing them to something like the VR-M60s, which isn't necessarily a fair comparison... :P

For TV/movie viewing, the speaker placement in the front sound stage isn't quite a critical as it is for two channel music listening. It would truly depend on your listening habits, but if at all possible, try to create as much separation for your mains, this will create a larger sound stage up front where the bulk of a movie soundtrack will be carried as well as any two channel music listening you may do.

The P series are a bit pricey and the same can be considered for the Bravos as well, but having heard what the latter are capable of, its fairly well justified. Unless the pictures are deceiving, I think the 450s or 460s may be a bit overkill in this size room. With a decent subwoofer, you can likely get away with the Bravo IIs, P430 or P442s if you prefer the aesthetics of these. The B&W are also very impressive, but also come with a hefty price tag. I, myself, am a fan of the BA sound (VR3s and VR12 for my LCR) and for the money, either of these should make you happy with your purchase. -TD

ps
    Try not to stress, this stuff should be fun...

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"