X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sweetspud
    • Feb 2015

Apple TV / Rotel RSP-1069

I have a 5.1 home theater system set up with a Rotel RSP-1069 (RSP) as the processor. My video out is to a 720p, 1080i, 525p
    480p projector via s-video.

I'd like to introduce a new (latest gen) Apple TV (ATV).

The ATV has HDMI 2 output that I have connected to the RSP with a HDMI cable to HDMI 1. I have set the RSP "VIDEO INPUT" to "HDMI 1" and the RSP "AUDIO INPUT" to "HDMI Audio". The settings under the RSP's "VIDEO/HDMI" are set to:

VID OUT FORMAT: 1080i (I've tried all)
    HDMI AUDIO MODE: AMP MODE
    HDMI BYPASS: YES

VIDEO UPGRADE: No

These settings result in me being able access the Rotel menu, but there is "no signal". I get no video. I can hear the audio set up prompt from the ATV, but cannot see the setup menu through the projector.

Is there anyone smarter than me out there (shouldn't be that hard to locate!)?!?
  • Audio_ElF
    • Oct 2007

If I understand right your projector isn't connected via HDMI?

I suspect that HDCP settings are preventing the Rotel downscaling to output a signal via SVideo.

http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203782 May help specifically the part (3) which describes setting the output resolution.

Comment

• sweetspud
      • Feb 2015

Thanks for the comment!

That is correct; the ATV3 is connected via HDMI to the HDMI-IN on the Rotel RSP processor. The projector is connected via S Video to the MON(itor) OUT of the RSP.

The projector works fine in this connection when the input signal is from my DVD player.

Comment

• sweetspud
        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Audio_ElF
        If I understand right your projector isn't connected via HDMI?

I suspect that HDCP settings are preventing the Rotel downscaling to output a signal via SVideo.

http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203782 May help specifically the part (3) which describes setting the output resolution.
        I have audio from the ATV and can connect wirelessly from computers and handheld devices to stream audio - audio is working fine through the RSP. I still get "No Signal" from the projector. I tried holding the up and menu buttons on the ATV remote to cycle through the resolution options - without a working image, it's difficult to know if it has actually cycled. I have also tried the various HDMI resolution options on the RSP.

I'm left wondering if it is one of two things:

• The aging projector is not compatible with the ATV.
        I have a Mitsubishi XD480U http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/...anual_2502.pdf

• The S Video out from the RSP to the projector is not compatible. The projector does not have HDMI. Is the RSP not able to do that conversion??

The same system works well with S Video out from my DVD player (instead of the ATV) to the RSP and S Video out from the RSP to the projector.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Audio_ElF
          • Oct 2007

Did you try anything in the Apple TV troubleshooting link... Specifically

Change the Apple TV resolution:
          • Press and hold the Menu and Up button on your Apple Remote for six seconds.
          • The Apple TV will automatically cycle to the next resolution at approximately 20 second intervals.
          • Press Play on the Apple Remote to keep the current resolution or Select to manually cycle to the next resolution.
          Eloise

Comment

• sweetspud
            • Feb 2015

Okay!

After extensive back and forth with Apple and Rotel it turns out this is a resolution problem.

The conversion from the ATV HDMI to the RSP-1069 MON OUT svideo to the projector would require that the ATV have a 480i output setting which it does not have (I believe previous generations of ATV have it). If my old Mitsubishi projector had HDMI or component in, I'd be all set.

Alas, it looks like it's time to upgrade the projector to one that has HDMI and/or component input.

...and new cabling!

Comment

• Audio_ElF
              • Oct 2007

You could try something like -- http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/261571301987?cmd=VIDESC -- connect it to the output of the Apple TV then use composite (you may get similar which does HDMI to SVideo or Component which may offer higher quality) to the Rotel.

Not tried this personally but looks like should work in theory.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"