Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kmckenn
    • Jan 2007

Rotel's "Computer I/O" and "no software"

THE STORY: After owning a RSX1056 for a couple years, I've just put a PC (a marginally dated AMD2600 XP Machine) in my HT system by SPDIF Audio and Component Video. Ripping my CD music collection to a Network Drive, and able to play it via Windows Media Player. "IF" I had the 1056 on, and "IF" the PC was the selected audio device, I could use PC remote control software, log onto the PC (from any laptop, PC, etc. on my LAN), and operate the HTPC's Media Player. It was nice, while seated at my PC, working, being able to control the music being played on my nice household HT system. the part was soon over "IF" the 1056 was not ON, and "IF" the HTPC was not the currently selected device on the 1056.

ENTER HERE the forgotten "Computer I/O" port on the 1056 (all Rotel Receivers), and the documentation that says virtually anything you can do by the front panel controls or the "Remote" can be done by the "Computer I/O" port... with NO SOFTWARE available. I scoured the Internet convinced that some utility application had been developed for the average Rotel Receiver user. I found one post here on HTGuide from a few years ago, and the referenced links were all dead.

Being the somewhat dated Computer Geek I am, I drug out an old copy of VB6, and set out on a course to see if that forgotten "Computer I/O" port could actually be used to control the 1056 by PC. After a few trial and errors in trying to format the HEX Strings to the serial port of the 1056, I had control of the 1056 by PC.

THE QUESTION(S): Is there anyone out there that is actively using the Rotel's "Computer I/O"? If so, how and with what? Is there anyone that would LIKE to use the "Computer I/O" but doesn't quite simply because there is no apparently available method to do so?

I'd thought about making an application for a PC, with an interface that looked like the (in my case) 1056 that could be on any PC with access to the home LAN, that could "virtually" control the 1056.

MORE QUESTIONS: Is there anyone out there that has a PC in an Rotel controlled HT System, that would like control of the Rotel by LAN? I'm guessing I'm the only one! ;-)

Kevin

Edit
    -------------------------------------------------------------

I spent some effort to rough out a quick framework for a test applet in VB.NET. In its current state, its setup for the HEX codes for the RSX1056 (since that is the unit I have), it wouldn't take too much more effort to have it set up so that the HEX codes could be read from an INI file, or for that matter making a special one for each unit (shrug).

I think the better application of an app like this would be to have it reside in the background on the HTPC, and the actual applet (similar in fashion to this test applet) would/could be on any other PC/Laptop in the house, and would send control data to the HTPC... giving "virtual" control from "virtually" anywhere on the premisis.

At the time of typing this posting, I have NOT looked into amy similarity (or lack of) between HEX codes of differing units, so I don't know if this will do anyone else any good, who may not have a RSX1056. It's FREE to try and find out.. Soo.....

Hope someone gets a kick out of it! ;-)

Kevin
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kmckenn; 24 October 2009, 01:18 Saturday.
  • PiDD
    • Aug 2003

I have been controlling a 1098 for years using a computer. I use Girder to send the commands and Xlobby for the front end. I do use some direct commands like vol up/down and input selection.... but I really like the automation it allows. I have a media server and each move plays with a touch of the screen. A macro then turns on the rotel, dims the lights, selects the right input on the Rotel, the right vol, if its music up the bass a notch, play a trailer then play the movie. Basically every time the wife or kid says something is wrong they cant get the system to work I start on the macros.

You can find the plugin here

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

The only difference between codes is the device ID and the baud rate. Of course the checksum will be different when you change the device ID. If you are hard coding the commands it would be difficult to easily move between units. If you are calculating the checksum on the fly, all you have to do is change the device ID and make sure the baud rate is correct.

Kevin D.

Comment

• kmckenn
        • Jan 2007

Hi Kevin...

THANKS for the input!

UMmmmmmmmm... how is the Checksum calculated? AND where might I find a summation of the "DeviceID"'s?

I'm still "playing" with this (mostly for my amusement)... What I've decided to do right at the moment is, to approach this in a fashion similar to the Universal Remote, for the most part, make it LOOK similar to the Universal Remote... Make every key on it CUSTOM Programmable (Name of the Button, Tool Tip (for more verbose text/description), and the HEX Code).

With your input/insight, its now apparent that it would be pretty easy to custom program the HEX Codes by "FE03" & strDeviceID & strType & strCustomKEY & strChecksum. It'll be pretty easy and "cute" (as I like to call KEWL things) to make a "Universal Remote" for use directly on a Host PC to the ROTEL Unit.

What I think is more useful (or more "cute") is building a Server App on the "Host PC" and passing through codes sent to it by "Universal Remotes" on an "PC" on the site, effectively making a "VIRTUAL Universal Remote".

Kevin

PS - added a snapshot of the current state of the similar "Look" of the "VIRTUAL Universal Remote"

EDIT
        --------------------------------------------------
        Having a LIST of the Device ID's and ability to calculate the Checksum would make it EASY to just have all the ROTEL Devices on a pull-down menu!
        Attached Files

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

You'll find the device ID's under the RS232 protocol's PDF's for each device,

but here's a list:

1065 C1 19200 Baud
          1066 C2 19200 Baud
          1055 C3 19200 Baud
          1098 A0 19200 Baud
          1068 A1 19200 Baud
          1067 C4 19200 Baud
          1056 C5 19200 Baud
          1057 C7 19200 Baud
          1058 C8 38400 Baud
          1069 A2 38400 Baud
          1570 A3 115200 Baud
          1550 C9 115200 Baud
          1560 CA 115200 Baud

Just keep in mind that the extended type functions don't work with the old ones, so you would have to enable/disable those options based on which device they select. (If you choose to even have them, direct volume, direct zone control, etc)

As far as the check-sum, it's not too bad. It's the sum of every byte except for the start byte. If the sum is over $FF (256), it's the remainder after dividing by $FF. IE, if the sum is $13A then the checksum is $3A.

The only other issue to think about is if the checksum equals $FE or $FD. That would make the checksum the same as possible start bytes (which would make the device think a new command was coming). In those cases, checksum $FD becomes $FD $00 and $FE becomes $FD $01.

There's some commands that's only work on certain models, but most of those are hardly used anyway. (Scaler resolution, bypass on/off, etc).

When you get into decoding what the Rotel is sending back, there's more differences between models. Mainly what features they have, surround modes, and one or two lines of feedback.

Kevin D.

Comment

• kmckenn
            • Jan 2007

OK...

Functionally, at first glance this would not appear to be any, to much different at all from the first little prototype applet I first posted in this thread, as the now COMPLETELY, 100% "Programmable" buttons on this "VIRTUAL Universal Remote" are keyed in as the values for an RSX1056.

"BUT", as one can see (if one actually DL's this and plays with it), the NAME, HEX CODE and ToolTip associated with each button is completely programmable by the PullDown menu. Thats all well and good until you shut it down, as it will only go back to the "SOFT" coded defaults programmed into it. This is now just a stones' throw away from being able to store the custom key programming, AND is framed out to be a client to a SERVICE on the "HostPC" to the Rotel Device.... ANY HEX CODE, to ANY ComPort, on ANY PC, to any ROTEL Device....

I'm having fun, even if no one else is!

The FRAMEWORK is set... WOOOoooHOOOoooooo

KevinM

EDIT
            ---------------------------------------------

Cosmetic Updates (10/26/2009@01:11AM EST)
            Attached Files
            Last edited by kmckenn; 26 October 2009, 01:13 Monday.

Comment

• mjb
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Kevin, you're doing a fantastic job... I'm just waiting for the OS X version! Unless you can write it in Java so its cross platform?
              - Mike

Main System:
              B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
              Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• kmckenn
                • Jan 2007

OK, in many thanks to Kevin D.'s input/post....

The "VIRTUAL Universal Remote" will now automatically program itself for ANY of the Computer controllable Rotel Devices (1055, 1056, 1057, 1058, 1065, 1066, 1067, 1068, 1069, 1098, 1550, 1560, 1570) and AUTOMATICALLY "calculating" the HEX Codes. Since it can/does now calculate the HEX Codes, any Key on the VIRTUAL Remote can now be programmed by only inputing the 2 character HEX "KeyCode" in stead of having to input the entire 12 character HEX String (though if for any reason you want to, you still can). All of these capabilities also extend to the more "common" Command Sets... Primary (10), Main Zone (14), RecordSource (15) and Zone 2 (16).

ALL of the "Standard" buttons can be automatically overlay'd by presently selected Device + Command Set, or each key can be individually programmed by the current selection, or custom.

Still on the aggenda.... Storing and retrieving the custom configurations. And, creating the Server/Client app for the "HostPC". "AND" probably adding a few buttons to the UI.

Thanks sir Kevin D.!

KevinM

Comment

• kmckenn
                  • Jan 2007

Kevin D.,

Could you shove me in the right direction to find the OUTPUT DATA from the Computer I/O port?

KevinM

EDIT
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------

Kevin,

FOUND IT... sorry.

Kevin

EDIT
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, it was a little agonizing trying to properly read the data from the unit... "BUT" I finally made it. The LARGE portion of the VIRTUAL Remote's LCD display is 100% SYNC'd with the 1056's display (100% dynamic, scrolling text on the units LCD scrolls on the VIRTUAL Remote's display). I just got done rendering the rest of the display area, and have it as a background for the LARGE display text.

The next step for the now SYNC'd display is to toggle MASK's over the display to correctly reflect the unit's status as would be displayed on the units LCD display. The resolution of the display image if FAR greater than the panel it is displayed in, so I'm considering going to a horizontal layout of the controller to make better use of the horizontal LCD display.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by kmckenn; 28 October 2009, 11:55 Wednesday.

Comment

• kmckenn
                    • Jan 2007

For readability in this current configuration, I took the liberty of deviating from the 1056's display. And the new altered display ontheVIRTUAL Remote now sync's with the Unit's display.

Still on the menu... 1) Saving configuration(s) (IE - "INI" files or the likes), 2) draft up the Host/Client app (have done this before in a different application, the code is at hand and should be an easy adaptation), 3) ADD buttons!(?).

As far as the "engine", functionality of the app, I think it is, or is going to do, everything that can be done in a "Universal" type approach to be able to control any Rotel device with a Computer I/O port. It "should" even be able to work over the Internet to your Rotel Device, if the Firewall redirects the still yet to be determined PORT between the Host/Client to the "HostPC". I think what this severly lacks is "SIZZLE"... the APPEARANCE of the UI, while it may be "functional"... it's NOT very "Sexy". Anyone out there better at the cosmetics?

I've modeled up a 3D prototype of a possible VIRTUAL "Universal Remote", but when it comes to porting it over to something that makes a NICE looking graphic for the UI on this.... (sigh), I'm not so good at that.... yet... :-(

Thoughts?

KevinM
                    Attached Files

Comment

• mjb
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Kevin, you're doing amazing work! Respect! ;x(
                      - Mike

Main System:
                      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• kmckenn
                        • Jan 2007

Thanks mjb, "but".... there seems to be very little interest other than one guy who can't use what I am working on, cause he uses OS-X....

I'm obviously having whats turned into a one sided "conversation". It appears the only one with an interest in what I am working on, is the guy working on it.

KevinM

Comment

• Gsrrrrrrrrr
                          • Aug 2009

I am interested and am a Windows PC user! I've just been quietly following this thread. I have an RSP 1570 that I would like to be able to control from my computer so I would like to see what you come up with.

Comment

• peepaj
                            • Jan 2009

I also have been following this thread and have download a copy but have not tried it let. I'm in the process of upgrading computer system, probably will not be done for 6 months or so, just wanted to make sure I had a copy to try. I think you have more people lurking than you think.
                            Last edited by peepaj; 31 October 2009, 07:05 Saturday.

Comment

• srb
                              • Oct 2004

KevinM,

1. Can the Rotel be connected to a LAN Ethernet port on the PC, or does it have to be connected to a physical COM port?

2. When the Remote Control application is closed, it reverts to your Hostname and IP address, losing the data I entered.

3. Is there a setting within the Rotel that needs to be enabled for the I/O port?

Thanks,

Steve

Comment

• kmckenn
                                • Jan 2007

1. SERIAL port required. It LOOKS Ethernet, and I talk about relaying network data to it... but it is serial.

2. Ya, when I started on this app., I didn't and don't know exactly where I want(ed) to go with it. So... to this point, I've not released anything that'd make it too attractive for someone to be able to use.

3. The Rotel is geared up and ready.... which unit do you have? The app. I posted MAY only output at 19200 baud to the port, and your unit may want a different baud.

KevinM

Comment

• srb
                                  • Oct 2004

Kevin,

I have the RSX-1056. I will assume if I dig the box out I will find the serial to RJ-45 cable that I vaguely remember.

However, I don't have a serial port on my computer, but I'm pretty sure there is a serial port header on the motherboard. I would have to get a generic serial port bracket as I don't believe that was supplied with the motherboard.

So I'm not quite there!

As far as the IP address thing, my HTPC is normally on 24/7 (either active or in deep sleep), but I would have to have the app running and taking it's place on the taskbar to avoid having to enter the IP address.

Steve

Comment

• kmckenn
                                    • Jan 2007

Ya, you NEED that cable you cant remember... and, its config'd for an old fashion 9 pin D-Connector... the PC I put in happened to be old enough to actually have one.. at this point I dont know the easy work around for those more contemporary folk like yourself that dont have one... (que Kevin D.'s expertise here).

I dont have any experience with USB -> to RS-232 adapters at all.

If you have the APP on the (HT)PC, then the IP address is not relevant, as it will talk directly to the COM port. The IP Address is only for the NEXT step in RELAYING the "remote" from ANY PC on your home LAN to the PC physically connected to the Rotel device. THAT functionality is actually what I am working on right now, and have had a RUDE awakeing that the VB6 funcionality I'd used inthe past does not exist in VB.NET.... and... so far it "aint" as easy in VB.NET as my VB6 memories tell/told me it SHOULD be.

What I have been doing to this point in testing/developing this is, to take remote control of the HTPC by a FREEWARE app called "VNC"... and control the HTPC/Rotel by remote desktop. Once I finally get theVB.NET networking code solved, the "VIRTUALRemote" will be able to be on ANY desktop, with a "server" type app on the actual PC physically hoooked to the Rotel device.

KevinM

Comment

• srb
                                      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by kmckenn
                                      ...its config'd for an old fashion 9 pin D-Connector... the PC I put in happened to be old enough to actually have one.. at this point I dont know the easy work around for those more contemporary folk like yourself that dont have one...
                                      Since there is a serial header on the MB (99% sure), the easiest for me is to get one of the serial slot brackets (like the many that I've thrown in the trash over the years.)

If you have the APP on the (HT)PC, then the IP address is not relevant, as it will talk directly to the COM port.
                                      Doh! Of Course.

What I have been doing to this point in testing/developing this is, to take remote control of the HTPC by a FREEWARE app called "VNC"...
                                      Yes, I've used VNC in the past prior to XP/Vista/7's Remote Desktop. I remember it as being rather slow and sluggish to respond, but I may have had an older version.

Thanks, I'll let you know.

Steve

Comment

• kmckenn
                                        • Jan 2007

OK... An update for anyone that might be interested.

In prototype type of scenario, I have established the "VIRTUAL" part of this RemoteControl project. The App. can now be on a PC anywhere on my home LAN (my PC I work at, have tested it on an IBM wireless ThinkPad, etc.). At the moment, the "Server" application that I built to run on the "HostPC" (The "HTPC" that is physically hooked to the Rotel), is about a 1/2 version of the actual Remote App. itself, it has the modified neon display for monitoring the status. AFTER I put all the work into it to hack out the full functionality of the Remote App., I questioned why I wouldnt just have the full remote on the HTPC acting as both a Server for the VIRTUAL Remotes on the LAN, AND act as a Remote on the HTPC itself.

The downside of the networking I have built into this is I about 1/2 gave up on trying to self teach myself the VB.NET Network programming, and found a way to cheat the VB6 Network programming into VB.NET. As far as the functionality of the App., it makes no difference. However the VB6 Network progamming requires additional files to be installed with the program, and is not freestanding as it would be if it were all programmed in native VB.NET. The good news is, all of the architecture is in place and debugged for basica functionality, so now all I'd need do is patch in the VB.NET code.

I think the actual "VIRTUALUniversalRemote" should be reconfigured to play the role of BOTH the Host/Server AND the REMOTE Client... That way if the system is set and used for REMOTE controllers AND you want to ALSO control the Rotel directly from the HostPC (HTPC), you would not have to shut down the 1/2 size "Server" app. on the Host/HTPC and start the VIRTUAL remote up.. as it would already be in up and running on the Host/HTPC.

Still want to up the Eye Candy aspect, still have to program holding custom/last settings... and NEED MORE BUTTONS! :T

(Attached Pic of the current rough draft of the Server App. on the Host/HTPC)

KevinM
                                        Attached Files

Comment

• kmckenn
                                          • Jan 2007

OK, based on all the feedback (wink :W )... I decided to NIX the seperate Server/Host/HTPC App., and make it so that the "VIRTUALUniversalRemote" itself could also act as BOTH the SERVER and the CLIENT, depending on if it was on the Host/(HT)PC physically connected to the Rotel device.

Comment

• kmckenn
                                            • Jan 2007

OK Folks...

If there is anyone with interest, and watching this thread...

The concept of the "VIRTUAL Universal Remote" (VUR) is in a "usable" state. I'd like to be able get some feedback on its basic functionality ("unit" testing I guess its called) so I'm putting it out in its developmental state, with a SendHEXCode limit of 5 sends. In its current state, it can reside on the HOST/HTPC which would be physically connected to the Rotel Device, AND on any PC on a LOCAL Network which has access to the HOST/HTPC which has the VUR running on it.

The VUR has all of Rotel's standard key/hexcodes (command lists) programmed into it for all of the common/primary zones. Because of this, the easiest way to enter a custom HEX code for a button is to enter only the KeyCode for the button, and let the VUR look it up, and calculate the correct HEX code. Since all of this is within an ARRAY of data within the VUR, ultimately the buttons will be able to be custom programmed by a pulldown list of the keys instead of having to key them in.

There are a lot of improvements to be made to the user interface, but the functionality/engine of the application is fundamentally complete. I THINK 5 sends can make it usable enough to test the functionality, if not, its easily changed.

Please, try it out....

KevinM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

*WRONG!*

I tried to upload the app. in a ZIP file format and it exceeds the 100KB file limit (619KB). So, if anyone wants to try it out, please feel free to private message me, and I can get you the ZIP file.

KevinM

Comment

• louckske
                                              • Jan 2010

I have a rsx-1560 and would like to use this software to control it from my PC using the RS232 connection or ethernet if possible. Am I looking at the right thread? Where can I download the software?

Thanks,
                                              Ken

Comment

• kmckenn
                                                • Jan 2007

... this is the right thread... Private Message me with an email address, and I will try to get back with you in a semi-reasonable period of time. At the moment I am tending to some exceptionally critical (for lack of better word) "projects".

Best Regards,

Kevin

Comment

• louckske
                                                  • Jan 2010

This is a great thread Kevin. I am very keen to try this. I am sure you would be surprise how many people would be interested.

Thanks,
                                                  Ken

Comment

• timjclark
                                                    • Apr 2009

Kevin,

I just stumbled upon this thread and this is really cool stuff you are doing. I'm a OSX guy as well, my the Mrs. has a PC without a serial port. I have used the USB-serial adapter to perform software updates on my RSX-1069. One of these days I'll try it with your program too. I'll PM you for a copy of the software.

Keep up the great work!!

Tim
                                                    -B&W: 803S, HTM4S, M-1
                                                    -Proceed: CDD, PDP, PRE, AMP-2, AMP-3
                                                    -Rotel: RSP-1069
                                                    -Sony: PS3, KDF-E42A10

Office system:
                                                    -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
                                                    -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• simonb68
                                                      • Jan 2003

I scoured the Internet convinced that some utility application had been developed for the average Rotel Receiver user. I found one post here on HTGuide from a few years ago, and the referenced links were all dead.
                                                      Hi Kevin, I suspect the link you're referring to was my little program. It's odd, I used to look in here from time to time, but my last visit was probably well over 2 years ago, and I recently came across the bookmark in my browser and decided to pop in. I then see your post.

It's probably a little late now and it looks like you've gone above and beyond anything I did, but if you'd like the source code for my app then you're more than welcome to it. PM me your email address and I'll send it over.

Cheers
                                                      Simon

Comment

• Calgot
                                                        • Dec 2010

Wonderful!

I have htpc setup with an RSP-1068 which works great, using the MCE remote I can control what I need from the sofa. But when listening to music I use a Squeezebox connected to the Rotel, so I need to get up and switch inputs manually, or use another remote.

Is this software still available somewhere? I'd love to give it a try! It wont actually solve my problem but is a good start...

There's not an iPad app to control it, by any chance? I use the iPad to control my Squeezebox already so it would be a perfect match

Cheers,
                                                        Calle

Comment

• bobg8zwf
                                                          • Oct 2011

Hi all. I'm new to this site. But also have a wish to control my RDG1520 via its "232" port.

I have tried Kevin M program (the one that is available on here), but it will not communicate, even after modding the control codes. I suspect that Kevin has fixed the baud rate in the code, and is not compatible with the RDG (115200baud). The test program that is on B&W site does in fact communicate ok, so I guess this is the problem.

I sent Kevin a pm, hope he will reply and let me have some code so that I can have a play!

Will let you know how I progress.

But, it is very good to know that someone has been making use of the Rotel "serial" ports.

Bob

Comment

• Kgrunnet
                                                            • Apr 2012

RSX-1057 remote

Hello Kevin. Found your program very interesting. I have an RSX-1057 and a Harmony One remote but would like to add an IBM Z61T to the setup. I have an RS232 to USB adaptor used for connecting to Crestron equipment. Can I have your software for trying it out please? Best regards Karsten Grunnet, Denmark

Comment

• mdq
                                                              • Jul 2012

Hi - does anyone have a copy of the completed Universal Remote app from this thread? If so, please email me a copy. guysnet1 at yahoo

Thanks!!
                                                              Last edited by mdq; 02 August 2012, 02:52 Thursday.

Comment

• paolo
                                                                • Jul 2013

Hi, I am trying to understand how to keep permanently stored the values of my RB1080 pre, as every time I restart the PC all the configs are lost.
                                                                Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you and regards
                                                                Paolo

Comment

• Tomahawk1
                                                                  • Mar 2016

Has anyone managed to control their Rotel (I have a RSP-1570) via the RJ-45 I/O, a home network, a PC software/Ipad?

Please advise,
                                                                  Tom

Comment

• reaux
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Tomahawk1
                                                                    Has anyone managed to control their Rotel (I have a RSP-1570) via the RJ-45 I/O, a home network, a PC software/Ipad?

Please advise,
                                                                    Tom
                                                                    There is no practical way to do this. Though it uses an RJ45 connector, the I/O port is RS232 serial, not ethernet. The network layers won't pass RS232 data naturally.

Edit: Maybe you could make it work using something like this:

RSP-1066 owner here. I'd really like a copy of this software. Could someone send me the latest version?
                                                                    Last edited by reaux; 22 August 2016, 02:05 Monday.

Comment

• andi
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • May 2022

Help getting data of computer i/o

Can you send me a copy of latest version with display or explain how getting the data for the display? Background is i am programming a esp32 which should receive the data an send it to the home automation. Thx Andi

Click image for larger version

Name:	Unbenannt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	866792

Comment

Working...
                                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                      Search Result for "|||"