X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Audio_ElF
    • Oct 2007

V90 Series

No one has mentioned this yet so I will...

Musical Fidelity are replacing the V-Series MkII with the new V90 series.

First up is the V90 DAC with 24/96 async USB plus 2 optical and 1 co-ax SPDIF all 24/192 capable. Unlike the old V-Series all connections are on the back with power and input select on the front. Slightly improved (to my eyes) ergonomics.

Cost is £199.

Antony Michaelson apparently showed off a desktop headphone amp (HPA) and phono stage (LPS) to journalists around the Munich High End show along with a prototype of a portable headphone amp.

Eloise
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

At around $320 USD, it certainly does look better than the current 'V' series' strictly utilitarian form.
    Despite (or because of) that, there were many who found great value in the 'V' series.

I myself am a V satisfied owner of a V-Link 192.

AFA the V90 DAC......restricted to a 24/96 USB & the fact that it up-samples everything to 24/196 puts this in a class with a lot of competition.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• alebonau
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

very interesting. where the older v series were kind of things could just chuck behind the cabinet. these look like more something can put on show

wonder if these need plug packs like the v series did ?

thanks for the headsup. good to know what mf have coming through
      "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• hifidez
        • Feb 2007

Not surprised there is a replacement for the V ii series - I bought my little trio of gadgets because the prices had dropped a bit. I'm pleased I bagged them when i did. The V-DAC ii in particular continues to amaze me. Such a good sound.

D.

Comment

• hifidez
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by alebonau
          very interesting. where the older v series were kind of things could just chuck behind the cabinet. these look like more something can put on show

wonder if these need plug packs like the v series did ?

thanks for the headsup. good to know what mf have coming through
          From the illustrations I see the V90 DAC needs a 12v DC supply. Same old, same old... ?? The V90 will come with a utilitarian 12VDC plug-top PSU and then a V90 PSU will be available that will seriously improve scale, dynamics and stage depth allowing the DAC to perform to its full potential ;-)

Comment

• wkhanna
            • Jan 2006

Out with the old, in with the new.........

A predictable offer for those who may be interested.....

Music Fidelity V-DAC Mk II
            Last edited by wkhanna; 18 June 2013, 20:57 Tuesday. Reason: fixed link
            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• hifidez
              • Feb 2007

On reading the spec I hoped that the V90 had 4 inputs. Namely USB, Co-ax, optical (1) and optical (2). But looking closer at the front panal and I see that it must be: USB, a shared co-ax OR Optical, and then another purely optical input.

I'd really like to see more inputs available as I can't be alone in having 3 non-USB digital sources; in my case a Squeezebox Touch, Satellite TV receiver AND disc player. Having both a V-DAC ii and a DacMagic allows me to cope OK, but I'd rather have just one DAC.

Is some sort of toslink optical switch unit a viable solution I wonder?

Dez

Comment

• wkhanna
                • Jan 2006

At this price (remember we are only talking ~$310), wall warts along with limited features & flexibility are to be expected, IMHO.
                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• hifidez
                  • Feb 2007

Two or three months back I bought myself a V-90 DAC. The purchase wasn't meant as an upgrade but more as a way to rationalise my system. I had ended up with two V-DACii's along with my Azur DacMagic so that I could cope with my various sources. I bought a DEQ2496 by Behringer earlier (usin digital in/out modes only) and the need to use this item both in circuit and by-passed tipped the balance towrds getting the 2nd V-DACii. By buying the V-90, with its switchable inputs, I can make do with this single DAC plus the DacMagic used just for my '2nd class' sources, TV and Bluray.

Although the V-90 wasn't intended to be an apgrade I was very pleased with how it sounded, even cold out-of-the-box and brand new. Agreeing with all the positive comments in the various mag reviews; it was warm, fluid, bigger sounding, analogue-like and so on. Def. more of a sense of 'being there'. Not that the V-DACii's are lacking significantly, just that the 90 is a tad more involving.

Now I have 2 V-DACii's to sell. Mint, boxed, etc.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"