X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • plugwit
    • May 2012

Originally posted by plugwit
    hi all.this is my first post and im not to sure if im posting in the right thread .i've been offered an 'MF' A308 amp which i have listened to on my setup for around 3 hours or so and i really liked it.were there any issues/problems with the 308?
    it is in exerlent condition and sounds great.i have been offered this for £800.now im sure people are going to say,"try this amp or that amp for £800"but i like it so all i need to know is about the problems(if any)and if the price is ok.thanks all
    i have also been offered a 'Copland' amp and cd player for £700 for the pair but i really want to bi-wire and the 'Copland' can only take a pair of speakers.cant remember the models of the 'Coplands' but they were about £1200 each new.i dont have a cd player at the moment because the 'MF' is going to take all my cash for the moment but to have everything i need in the 'Coplands' would also be good......aaarrrrggghhhh,CANT MAKE MY MIND UP

Comment

• alebonau
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

now I wonder to suit their new m8 range if they will bring out a matching m8 cd/sacd player with balanced outs

really wish they had a stereo m8 power amp too
      "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• delfincek
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by plugwit
        hi all.this is my first post and im not to sure if im posting in the right thread .i've been offered an 'MF' A308 amp which i have listened to on my setup for around 3 hours or so and i really liked it.were there any issues/problems with the 308?
        it is in exerlent condition and sounds great.i have been offered this for £800.now im sure people are going to say,"try this amp or that amp for £800"but i like it so all i need to know is about the problems(if any)and if the price is ok.thanks all
        Hiya, I have MF A308 for years. It is a great integrated amplifier with good features and great sound. It is built like a tank and sound is totally seductive. Construction is very good and robust. I like really huge potentiometer on the front panel. It is dual mono configuration where newer MF integrated are not (A5, A5.5 and M6i). It is also heavier coz of that. A308 is also last integrated from MF that is Made in England. What I like about it is that is far away from hot, so you will not have a problem to position it. When operating it will hardly get warm on the side of the heatsinks. It has HT bypass that I need for integration with A/V receiver. Sound is very, very good it is very much neutral I would say and it delivers what you are fiding it with. Be advised that also good sources are needed to give its best. Good CDP or great DAC. I have MF NuVista for CD which is one of the best CDPs even though it is now becoming already vintage. I also use ASUS Xonar STX Hi-Fi grade sound card for internet streaming listening. For DAC I would surely look into the direction of good old MF Tri-Vista DAC or something with tubes as it will give you that nice organic sound.

For the cables I now use Anthony Gallo Reference cables as I have also Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 speakers and are a perfect match. But I tried also Cardas Golden Cross speaker cables and they sound fantastic with this amp and my speakers, but they are a bit upscale with a price. But it is worth it I think. I tried also Oyaide Across 2000 with very good results and I think that it is hidden something silky in these PCOCC constructed cables. For interconnect with MF NuVista I use Cardas Golden Cross RCA ICs and they give you this nice creamy, lush and a tad warm feeling that I like so much. But again cables are a bit pricy but again worth it on my oppinion. Advice - look for second hand. I believe Cardas Golden Cross cables are the most humane cables on the market I know.

Overall, I would say that for relatively good price you receive really an excellent amplifier. If I would like to upgrade from MF A308 to some other integrated amp I would need to go really very high on the price scale to achieve better results. This I mean like going for Gryphon Diablo, Gryphon Atilla, Karan KA-I 180 MKII, McIntosh MA7000, Jeff Rowland Contimuum or darTZeel CTH-8550. But these amps are from 5 - 10 times more expensive than second hand A308 can be. For what I have experiences with my own demos, demos at friends places and visiting the Hi-Fi Shows I think that MF A308 in terms of price/performance is outclassing practically anything on the market.

best, d.

Comment

• skyman
          • Jul 2012

a5 X 2 and a5 pre

I have 2 A5 power amps and an A5 pre for sale; as Im upgrading to the M8700.

A question to all....help me with this dilemma please. Currently upgrading from 2 A5 power amps Bi-amped to B&W 803 diamonds through an MF A5 Pre amp. I cant conclude weather to buy 2 M8 mono blocks and buy a M6500i to go with them using the dual mono of the M6500i to power the trebble drivers and the M8s to power the base drivers. Or...should I stick to the mono block configuration and have the M8 pre as MF intended it to be...any thoughts would be most appreciated and if your wondering why I am complicating the arrangement Im just a fan of bi-amping and recently invested expensively in 2 sets of Teluriam graphite speaker cables and interconnect for the bi-amp arrangement...regards to all.

Comment

• skyman
            • Jul 2012

I have 2 A5 power amps and an A5 pre for sale; as Im upgrading to the M8700.

Comment

• phongph
              • Jul 2012

MF M6 CDP review

I have got CDP Nad 565Bee, MF M6i int ampli with B&W 803s some month ago. Now I plan to upgrade CDP and am looking for MF M6 CD player. Please advice your idea/ review on this CDP in case of quality sound of CD source and Lossless source via its DAC. Thanks in advance!

Comment

• phongph
                • Jul 2012

Originally posted by phongph
                I have got CDP Nad 565Bee, MF M6i int ampli with B&W 803s some month ago. Now I plan to upgrade CDP and am looking for MF M6 CD player. Please advice your idea/ review on this CDP in case of quality sound of CD source and Lossless source via its DAC. Thanks in advance!
                I think "HDBlu" have got Musical Fidelity M6 CDP and MF M6i am. It is so great for me if You please review the sound of this CDP combining with MF m6i amp. Thanks in advance!

Comment

• eyalp
                  • Apr 2010

speakers match M6i

Hi, I intend to upgrade my speakers. Have M6i with b&w 704.
                  Think about Spendor a9, b&w 804 diamond or proac D28.
                  Music- rock, jazz, r&b , some classical.
                  Any one have or heard any of the matches or compared between these speakers?
                  Thanks in advance.

Comment

• rantzmar
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by eyalp
                    Thanks in advance.
                    On that list the Spendor A9 would be the best followed by the ProAc D28. But the Spendor would be in another planet from the B&W.
                    Two Channel Room

Vincent SA-T1/Telefunken/Golden Lion tubes~Rotel RB 1080~ Musical Fidelity XRAYv8/XXXpsu~MMF-.7.1~2M Black-Grado Phono 1 Analysis Plus Phono Cable~Canton 830.2~ Analysis Plus interconnects and speaker wire.

Comment

• alebonau
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by eyalp
                      Thanks in advance.
                      suggest the focal 1027be or 1028be.

also worth checking out if the pmc fb1i or ob1i

and monitor audio gs60, or pl200

additionally the tannoy definition or dimensions

Comment

• eyalp
                        • Apr 2010

Thanks rantzmar & alebonau, don't know if will get the chance to the focal's but will sure check the pmc's.

Comment

• skyman
                          • Jul 2012

MF M8 700 & M8 Pre

Just received 2 M8700 monoblocks and the M8 Pre. First impressions are quite astounding. If anyone is interested in a more detailed analysis just ask.

Comment

• alebonau
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by skyman
                            Just received 2 M8700 monoblocks and the M8 Pre. First impressions are quite astounding. If anyone is interested in a more detailed analysis just ask.
                            yes please let us know more. and pictures

Comment

• r100gs
                              • May 2005

That would be second please. ;x(
                              Jay

Comment

• skyman
                                • Jul 2012

I will put together a detailed transcript of my impressions...for now here is a photos of the setup. Im still quite gobsmacked at the shear brilliance of these amps. Still dribbling and struggling to stop gawping in astonishment. [/IMG]
                                Attached Files

Comment

• rantzmar
                                  • May 2009

I have a question....has any body heard any information on Musical Fidelity coming out with a power amp in the M3 series?

Thanks.
                                  Two Channel Room

Vincent SA-T1/Telefunken/Golden Lion tubes~Rotel RB 1080~ Musical Fidelity XRAYv8/XXXpsu~MMF-.7.1~2M Black-Grado Phono 1 Analysis Plus Phono Cable~Canton 830.2~ Analysis Plus interconnects and speaker wire.

Comment

• skyman
                                    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by rantzmar
                                    I have a question....has any body heard any information on Musical Fidelity coming out with a power amp in the M3 series?

Thanks.
                                    Not so far but they are releasing an M6 DAC in November. Thats the only news I know of from MF. Cheers

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                                      • Oct 2007

There's also a new M1 DAC combining DAc and Headphone amp and offering 24/192 via USB.

Comment

• Lex
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Apr 2001

nice modern and clean look for your system delfincek. I'm not going to be a Grinch while my cable biz is sidelined about cables about cable chatter, but it isn't really a part of our electronic clubs. But your system itself rocks, I think.
                                        Continue...
                                        Doug
                                        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• elhefe
                                          • May 2011

Originally posted by rantzmar

Thanks.
                                          MF is also coming out with a string of IEM and Headphones sometime in Nov.

I have seen the prototype pictures. The IEM is expected to sell at about GBP 100 to 150 and the headphones would be GBP200, 400 and 600. One of them will come in nice brown leather.

The IEm is already available on the website actually.
                                          HiFi: ClearAudio Concept TT, Musical Fidelity M6i amp and M6 DAC, M1s (PWR,CDT, CLiC, ViNL), SONY MDSJA20ES MDP, ProAc D18 with full Siltech cabling.

HeadFi: Beyerdynamic T1 and Oppo HA-1

HT: Samsung 65" Curve LED, OPPO BDP 95-EU, Yamaha RX-V2067, PMC twenty 23 front and Centre, Wharfedale WH2, SVS Sub, with full QED cabling

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                                            • Oct 2007

Just for people's information - some details of the M6 DAC I found...

Text appears to be from a press release
                                            The design brief given to Musical Fidelity’s product development team was a simple one to design an all new reference DAC that would complement the ‘full size’ M series product ranges. Building on Musical Fidelity's reputation of class leading products such as the M1 DAC, the team has delivered the stunning M6 DAC (pictured above).

• Dual differential Delta-Sigma 8x over-sampling 24-Bit/192kHz DAC
                                            • 2 x COAX inputs (up to 24bit/192kHz, galvanically isolated)
                                            • 1 x AES/EBU balanced input (up to 24bit/192kHz, galvanically isolated)
                                            • 1 x USB input (up to 24bit/192kHz, asynchronous and galvanically isolated)
                                            • 1 x Optical input (up to 24bit/96kHz)
                                            • 1 x Bluetooth V 2.1 apt-x receiver (up to 24bit/48 kHz)

The M6 DAC has single ended and balanced audio outputs as well as digital outputs (COAX, optical and AES/EBU).All input level sensitivities are individually programmable (for perfect gain matching from different sources) fully adjustable from the M6 DAC remote control.

Performance
                                            All measurements have been made on a Rhode and Schwarz UPV. The THD is very low. At 10kHz it is less than 0.0012%. At 50kHz it is 0.001%. These are outstanding measurements by any standard. Linearity is ± 0.3dB down to -120dB. The signal to noise ratio is also outstanding at - 120dB.

Configuration
                                            The M6 DAC has a dual mono-bloc configuration. There is a separate dual differential DAC for each channel. The selected sample rate converters re-clock all data and are, in themselves, asynchronous. All inputs therefore are asynchronously re-clocked and up-sampled to 24bit/192kHz.

The power supply is ultra-low noise and encapsulated for um isolation. In addition, the M6 DAC has choke regulated smoothing and 32 polypropylene capacitors for perfect decoupling and isolation.

Bluetooth (apt-x)
                                            An increasing number of music lovers are storing their music on phones and other portable devices such as tablets. The M6 DAC has a very high quality Bluetooth apt-x receiver. The module has been designed to have its own separate power supply. Interestingly, we take the I2 S from the module straight to the sample rate converters. The combination of apt-x and the coupling system yields unexpectedly high audio quality from the much maligned (but incredibly convenient and even more universal) Bluetooth system.
                                            Cost is a shade under £2k (£1995) and availablility is stated as being in October 2012.

To me Musical Fidelity have missed an opportunity as it should have a built in pre-amp with a HT bypass, or at least a volume control so that it could be used direct to the M6 PWR (HT bypass wouldn't be needed with the dual input of the M6 PWR).

In other news...

The M1 HPA has been tweeked to creat the HPAP adding a second line level input. No other changes AFAIK (reviewed in HiFi Choice 365 - December 2012).

Also, as I've commented before, there is a new M1S DAC a combination of the original M1DAC with the HPA and a 24/192 capable USB input. Now that DOES have analogue inputs - hopefully one is also HT bypass capable and its remote controlable.

Eloise

Comment

• alebonau
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Oct 2005

Sounds like trying to keep it in the digital domain an so can partner with either m6i or m6 500i or m6pre. Don't have a prob with that. Mf have made beaut Dacs in past so good to see them continue the tradition.

Sad to see no stereo power amp in the m8 range. For those not looking for mono blocs or integrated would be great to see a m6 500 pwr or a m8 500 pwr for instance.

Comment

• Erik Tracy
                                                • Dec 2012

Greetings fellow MF owners.

I was the happy owner of an A5 integrated amp until yesterday when the right channel stopped working altogether.

I did the usual swap/fault isolation across multiple inputs and the right channel is dead on all inputs except the ht bypass, which leads me to believe the amp section is ok, its the right channel on the preamp section that is faulty.

Are there any other tips or tricks I can try or check on?

If I do have to send it off for service, where would I send it as I live in San Diego, CA?

Thanks in advance!
                                                Erik Tracy

Comment

• alebonau
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Oct 2005

something for the service centre am thinking, not really something to try to be messing around with yourself !

any reviews out on the m8pre or m8 700 mono blocs. serious stuff wonder how it checks out ?

I notice guys the m6 dac is on the mf website.

I still do hope they do a M8 series stereo power amp one day, maybe will m8 600P or something but a step up from the m6 power for those looking for that bit more in a stereo power amp

Comment

• markjrho
                                                    • Sep 2005

A5 cdp tube/mods

Has anyone ever changed the tube in the a5 player? If so, what did you exchange and what was the effect. Further, has any one ever modded the A5? Thanks

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                                                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by alebonau
                                                      any reviews out on the m8pre or m8 700 mono blocs. serious stuff wonder how it checks out ?

I notice guys the m6 dac is on the mf website.
                                                      Not exactly a review but there is a system report of the M8 700 mono-blocks coupled with M6 DAC and using the M1 HPAP as the pre in this months HiFi Choice magazine in the UK.

Eloise

Comment

• alebonau
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Oct 2005

thanks eloise, will look out for it

Comment

• alebonau
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by markjrho
                                                          Has anyone ever changed the tube in the a5 player? If so, what did you exchange and what was the effect. Further, has any one ever modded the A5? Thanks
                                                          the a5 will be pretty hard to exchange tubes, as it was a limited edition and runs the milspec muvista, which are hard wired given their fitted for life nature. if you have an a5.5 could swap out the 6922 valves it has for another brand etc if keen to experiment.

Comment

• phongph
                                                            • Jul 2012

Dear All!
                                                            I have got MF6 500i (500 wpc, 8ohm), replacing for M6i (200 wpc, 8 ohm)some month ago. It havs controled quite well B&W 802 diamond in term of Treble, Mid, Bass and image & dynamic ! Thanks
                                                            P/s: my Stereo system: Wadia 381 (model 2012), MF6 500i, IC XRL Purist Venustas (rev. Praesto), SP cable Transparent Ultra MM2.

Comment

• alebonau
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Oct 2005

Dear All!
                                                              I have got MF6 500i (500 wpc, 8ohm), replacing for M6i (200 wpc, 8 ohm)some month ago. It havs controled quite well B&W 802 diamond in term of Treble, Mid, Bass and image & dynamic ! Thanks
                                                              P/s: my Stereo system: Wadia 381 (model 2012), MF6 500i, IC XRL Purist Venustas (rev. Praesto), SP cable Transparent Ultra MM2.
                                                              hi phongph, the m6500i sure is a gutsy looking amp can imagine a good step up from the m6i and glad to hear its fit in well with the B&W 802Ds

Comment

• r100gs
                                                                • May 2005

Dear All!
                                                                Nice! :T ;x(
                                                                Jay

Comment

• markjrho
                                                                  • Sep 2005

Thanks for the info on the A5 cdp, Alebonau. I guess I will leave the tube alone.

Comment

• phongph
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Jul 2012

hi phongph, the m6500i sure is a gutsy looking amp can imagine a good step up from the m6i and glad to hear its fit in well with the B&W 802Ds
                                                                    Thanks for your idea !

Comment

• phongph
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by r100gs
                                                                      Nice! :T ;x(
                                                                      Thanks !

Comment

• skyman
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Jul 2012

Anyone interested in a review of the M8700 and 8700PRE? Ive just been running them in for the last 5 months and feel they are ready for comment.

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Oct 2005

Anyone interested in a review of the M8700 and 8700PRE? Ive just been running them in for the last 5 months and feel they are ready for comment.
                                                                          absolutely ! :T

look forward to reading the review

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Oct 2007
                                                                            • 271

Incase anyone is interested: Musical Fidelity has revealed details of their M1 SDAC. A development of the M1 DAC and M1 DAC-A the new DAC has 24/192 compatible (async) USB as well as 2x SPDIF, TOSLink and AES. In addition it has a Bluetooth connection as per the M6 DAC.

Cost £799 and a combined package of M1 SDAC and M1 PWR will also be available for £1299.

Musical Fidelity have announced their M1 SDAC, a high performance DAC/ADC, preamp, headphone amp and Bluetooth/apt-X receiver in one compact solution that is due to be £799.

Eloise

Comment

• skyman
                                                                              Junior Member
                                                                              • Jul 2012
                                                                              • 16

Here it is..........

I have wanted to share my thoughts and views of the MF 8700 mono block power amps for some time now. I was initially held back from doing so because of the advertised run in/ burn in time for this equipment but moreover each time I felt they had been powered up and driving my system for long enough and that I was ready to put fingers to keyboard and launch into a passionate expression of what these amps have done for my system something happened…and to most this might sound like over enthusiasm for what has been an expensive investment in sound but the reality to my ears was akin to a switch being activated ladled burn in complete. A month or so later and contemplating writing something up and a similar event occurred again with an almost instantaneous change and improvement to the focus of qualities, openness of sound stage and reality. On each occasion the apparent improvement to my sound stage was quite staggering. However, before actually giving an impression of my finding let me give you some background to what I’m comparing the 8700 to.

I’ve always been an MF fan. Yes, I’ve tried many other contenders out there and despite the well known issues with the MF marketing etc it has not deterred me from going back to what suites my ear the most…and that’s been MF A3CR …stepping up to A5CR the last set up comprising 2 A5CR (Dual Mono)power amps; bi-aping B&W 803 Diamonds. Not that adventurous to the majority of audiophiles out there but to my wallet and ears it was a fine set up, but the B&W arguably need very well chosen amplification to control the lower end and get the best out of them. My inspiration to step up from the A5 was a lack of drive in the bottom end to compliment the gloriously detailed top and pristine mid ranges that MF are renowned for and the B&W providing its expression in a very well matched and harmonised and relaxed fashion. I explored moving far away from MF in order to drive the B&W’s to the limits of their capabilities and in doing so I tried valve mono’s solid state monsters of the business and almost everything out there in a quest to sap the last drop of expression out of my speakers. I did find some very commendable contenders and some which truly did impress me; but somewhere in the deep dark depths of my sole there lacked something…was it that familiarity of years of MF was just taking time to move away from or could it be that I’d made the wrong choice in speakers? Before throwing them on the second hand market I thought I’d re-explore what MF had to offer beyond the A5CR.

The obvious was the M6 and I did try to mimic my existing set up by trying 2 M6’s bi-amping and the M6 pre. The brutal truth of it is, that the M6 did offer more power and drive but didn’t enhance things much beyond what the A5’s were already doing. I felt a little stumped and was ready to conclude that it would either be the option of changing speakers (which I wads reluctant to do as I’d just bought them new) or indulge in the Bryston 4B mono’s which did control the base of the B&W’s well but to my ear I felt after a few hours of listening to them id just want a rest…it shouldn’t be that way. I believe when you have it right you just don’t want to turn it off. Then MF launched the M8700. My dealer agreed that it would be worth the wait and he worked hard to get me a pair hot off the press to try in my home with my set up. I’m not going to rant about how blown away I was all I’ll say is that on first hearing these amps I knew they were doing everything I needed them to do and that they did this better than anything else I’d tried. I did not rest on the fact that they were new and not burned in I just hoped that they might get better with time. That said, I was happy with what they did do and I got the wallet out buying 2 M8700’s and the 8700 PRE to control everything.

Initially I had to make do with an M6 PRE as the 8700’s were the first of the new batch to arrive in the country and the PRE was dues a month later. My dealer did a splendid job of providing me a stand in M6 PRE for the job.

So, what can I say? For my set up the M8700’s really are very special. In the first month while waiting the arrival of the 8700 PRE, my music collection just found a new lease of life and I found myself listening to things I’d really not found very palatable to the ear previously. The detail and finesse that the 8700 brings is quite astonishing and the way in which it delivers it is very difficult to complement adequately. They control power delivery by smacking the solidity of the base lines right in your face, but rather than punching you in the nose it grabs you firmly and demands that you pay attention to the detail of it. It’s almost like it wants you to examine & search for deficiency and it defies you to find it. The mid range is very revealing but links in beautifully with an air and a grace that retains the musicality of the MF signature. For those who are dedicated to the MF signature I’m sure you’ll know what I mean by that, but, this amp does move away a little from that historical MF quality and steps into a slightly modified account of it. I would say this is advancement to what MF have been including within the sound quality of their products as opposed to an enhancement and it moves you into a totally different sector of sound reproduction and one which is a mighty step forward. The B&W top end tweeter is a very special part of the speaker unit and that bring me to what the M8700 does for it. Crystal clear is not the right description. Take a brass symbol and strike it with a drum stick, a clasped hi-hat or the impact upon a cow bell and now my B&W’s transfer what is a digital encoding into as good as reality as I’ve ever heard. This is what now brings the whole thing together without any diffusion or loss of reality as the volume is turned up and the sound stage widens, opens up and you’re able to move further away from the source. The whole delivery seems to slow down, the pace at which things happen takes time its like listening in slow motion and turning it all of is something I just don’t want to do. Vocals are real, the intake of breath is heard as a compliment to the track as opposed to an unwanted nuisance. Where the delivery of mid range qualities leaves notes hanging in the air the top end over hangs it with a grace and a detail that just makes the brutal truth of listening to music simply a pleasure and its difficult to cease trying to push it into delivering confusion….there is none.

OK, so a month passes and the burn in period seems to be changing little or was it so gradual I just could not detect it? Then the 8700 PRE arrives….here is the next shock! I was totally unaware that a pre amp could make such a difference. OK, not a difference as such but what an impact it has had upon all of the qualities I have mentioned. It further impacts upon low end control and focus, it has refined detail further and unbelievably it has broadened the sound stage, the accuracy of the top end is amazing and the mid’s just flow and blend while separation of instrumentation is astounding.

I was and am very happy but what I did not expect was the burn in switch MF makes no mention of. This switch of course is non existent. I shall say this; after 4/5 months of regular use and by default I had left my system running on repeat and returned home after a good 24 hours with a friend who id been listening to my set up with prior to leaving the property. On our return we both looked at each other in a quizzical way and our thoughts were in unison. The switch had been activated. For those of you scoffing, I’d be very interested to know if any other owners of the 8700 experienced a similar very sudden ramp-up in the quality improvements we put down to the “burn in period”. Where burn in is acceptably a gradual process, I have never before experienced it happening in such a sudden manner and therefore a noticeable one. This also happened once again more recently but not quite as expansive as the initial one. I’m now wondering if that’s it and I’ve discovered the extent of what I’ve bought or maybe there is more to come. I’ll have to wait and see but what I’ll be doing in the mean time is enjoying listening to my system.

I’ve no doubt there may well be better out there and for a further hit on the wallet I’m sure my system could be improved upon but for the price it’s as good as I’m ever going to be able to afford.

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Oct 2005
                                                                                • 992

nice review there skyman thanks for taking the time for posting it. an enjoyable read. glad to hear its really been an advancement from the mf from before, and nice to read your story of gear youve owned and upgraded from to get to what have now. I've owned my mf a5cr pre-pwr combination nearly 8 years now been absolutely thrilled with what they are maybe will take another couple years for the itch to set in ... good to know theres something out there thats a good step forward to upgrade too

ps are you aware of any internal pics of the m8 series pre and mono blocs, not come across any at all. be interesting to see what resides inside these beasts. they sure look like very nicely made and put together pieces

Comment

• skyman
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Jul 2012
                                                                                  • 16

nice review there skyman thanks for taking the time for posting it. an enjoyable read. glad to hear its really been an advancement from the mf from before, and nice to read your story of gear youve owned and upgraded from to get to what have now. I've owned my mf a5cr pre-pwr combination nearly 8 years now been absolutely thrilled with what they are maybe will take another couple years for the itch to set in ... good to know theres something out there thats a good step forward to upgrade too

ps are you aware of any internal pics of the m8 series pre and mono blocs, not come across any at all. be interesting to see what resides inside these beasts. they sure look like very nicely made and put together pieces
                                                                                  @ alebonau....thanks for your compliment. I have seen pics of the internal workings of the M8700PRE ...somewhere (Im sure I have) as I recall being quite gobsmacked at the magnitude of the beast. In essence its a scaled down version of the TITAN, the only real difference being the power output/coils/windings etc. A shrunken version of the TITAN in all respects. What I will say is, that my current system is very very revealling and it wont hide poor recording on CD/Vinyl what so ever. However, with good recording, it is breath taking.

Ill do some research and find out where I saw those pics of the guts of the 8700.

Regards, Skyman

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                    • Oct 2005
                                                                                    • 992

@ alebonau....thanks for your compliment. I have seen pics of the internal workings of the M8700PRE ...somewhere (Im sure I have) as I recall being quite gobsmacked at the magnitude of the beast. In essence its a scaled down version of the TITAN, the only real difference being the power output/coils/windings etc. A shrunken version of the TITAN in all respects. What I will say is, that my current system is very very revealling and it wont hide poor recording on CD/Vinyl what so ever. However, with good recording, it is breath taking.

Ill do some research and find out where I saw those pics of the guts of the 8700.

Regards, Skyman
                                                                                    that would be excellent skyman if do come across those pics would love to see the internal workings as with the power amps

Comment

• Lex
                                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Apr 2001
                                                                                      • 27461

I left a copy of this thread in the manufacturers threads, if this is not successful, it could go back to that section. But for now, we lock this and generate new threads!

Go Music Fidelity or Go Home, lol.
                                                                                      Doug
                                                                                      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                                                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                      Search Result for "|||"