Anybody heard anything from Krell this last year or so?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doug
    • Aug 2000

Anybody heard anything from Krell this last year or so?

Are they only selling direct, or do they still have a dealer network? Curious.

Used to have a fine name and product then something happened, what was it ....
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

You mean since Dan left?

Seen them at shows. They've introduced new products. I reviewed one and communicated with them. So have many others who have bought recently.
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Ok, well, I just wondered Kal. Dan, which Dan do you mean? Dan that left Krell? I don't know them well enough to know names...

We'd be curious to know more about what you reviewed, if it can be made public.

Doug
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Lex
        Ok, well, I just wondered Kal. Dan, which Dan do you mean? Dan that left Krell? I don't know them well enough to know names...
        I was referring to the founder, Dan D'Agostino.

We'd be curious to know more about what you reviewed, if it can be made public.
        http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-66
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• ShadowZA
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

The latest Krell Duo 300 is reviewed by Ken Kessler in the "Hi-fi News & Record Review UK" - October 2014 edition.

The lab report by Paul Miller:

Rated by Krell at 300W/8ohm, its Duo 300 amplifier achieves a higher output in practice – 2x350W/8ohm and 2x570W/4ohm with sufficient headroom to accommodate peaks of 455W,860W and 1320W into 8, 4 and 2ohm loads under dynamic conditions (all <1% THD). A tight 26.9A current limit restricts the output to 725W into 1ohm so while the Duo 300 is mightily powerful it’s not a match for Krell’s previous-generation, and costlier, Evolution 302e amplifier. Furthermore, even with its iBias technology in tow the Duo 300’s idle power consumption is still considerable at 140W, reaching 1.6kW at the rated 2x300W (standby is 3W). Both the Duo and older Evolution amplifiers feature the same multiple-output current mirror power stage design. However the distortion profile for the Duo is markedly different from Krell’s Evolution series, the former enjoying its lowest THD at lower outputs (0.0017% at 1W/8ohm) increasing uniformly thereafter to 0.004%/10W, 0.013%/100W and 0.033%/300W. Versus frequency, distortion increases gently at the bass/treble extremes from 0.0023% (1kHz/10W) to 0.012%/5Hz and 0.013%/20kHz. The frequency response has a slightly ‘mild’ treble of –0.13dB/20kHz falling to –2.6dB/100kHz while the 0.017-0.025ohm output impedance ensures little variation with speaker load over the 20Hz-20kHz audio range. The S/N is only fractionally above average at 88dB (re. 0dBW) but this is still creditable bearing in mind the size and proximity of the two internal PSUs. Readers may view an in-depth QC Suite report for Krell’s Duo 300 power amplifier by navigating to www.hifinews.co.uk and clicking on the red ‘download’ button. PM

Hi-fi News verdict:

One wag has posited that £9995 is a ‘bargain’ for 300W of ‘KrellPower’, and this is a dandy amp for the money. Most assuredly solid-state in its demeanour, Duo 300 doesn’t, for a moment, suggest the (sonic) warmth of a true Class A amplifier likes its ancestors. That may, er, be music to the ears of those who can’t abide ‘valveness’. A touch more refinement wouldn’t go amiss, but then: this is for rockers. Sound Quality rated at 80%.

Here's the pdf: http://absolutesounds.com/pdf/main/p...HFN_Octo14.pdf
          Last edited by ShadowZA; 22 October 2014, 14:25 Wednesday. Reason: Added link to pdf

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"