X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bombayteddy
    • Oct 2008

Revel Performa F208 speakers

I am considering purchasing the F208 for use as front-speakers in my home-theater; and have a few questions:
    1.The speakers are about 46" tall. Would the drivers be able to present a coherent sound-image at a listening distance of about 10'6"?
    2.Do the aluminium drivers have any hint of metallic "ringing" to them, especially in the midrange, affecting voices in particular?
    3.I intend to bi-amp them and send ALL low-frequency signals (including the .1 LFE channel as I wont be using a subwoofer) to them. I was told they have strong bass capability so this would not be a problem. However, would a good AVR be sufficient? I own a Denon 2310 (UK-voiced, 105 x 7 RMS) but would I need to upgrade this to, say, a Cambridge Audio 751R with a toroidal transformer offering 120 x 7 RMS? In either case, channels 6 and 7 of the receiver would be configured to bi-amp the front speakers.
    4.Last, I have heard conflicting reports about their overall sound: some say its "musical" while others say it lacks "refinement". Which is truer?
    I'm hoping to audition these soon at a local dealer but auditions here are typically unreliable. Other speakers on my shortlist are B&W CM10 and the new Monitor Audio Silver 10.
    Thanks in advance for any advice!
  • sgtjim57
    • Dec 2008

Brent Butterworth, in his first review for HomeTheaterReview.com, takes the Revel F208 floorstanding speaker and puts it through its paces. How will the speaker stand up to his hyper-picky tastes?
    Sony Bravia OLED A1E 55"
    SVS SB 2000 X 2
    Denon X4000 (Looking to upgrade due to 4K, ATMOS, DTSX)
    Oppo BDP 93
    Apple TV 4K
    B & W N804 Mains
    B & W 603 Rear surrounds
    B & W LCR 600 Center
    B & W CDS6 (Not in use)
    Sony TA N77ES (Not in use)

Comment

• Dmantis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2004

1) yes when properly placed
      2)No they sound like paper drivers of years ago with modern accuracy and amazing clarity
      3) Get the Cambridge as the Denon is not in the same league, it would be a shame to run such high end unbelievable sounding speakers with a Mid line AVR. I'd get the best electronics you can afford to go with them.
      4) Honestly the BMW's will give them a run for the money but IMO are not a better sounding speaker not to mention can't dig no where near as deep and as clean. The F208's are IMO the very best offering at that price point. I have been floored every single time I listen to them. They are remarkable in all ways. They are a fine achievement in Revels lineup.
      As a Musican and Audio Video Professional I have experienced thousands of Room speaker combos and the F208's are one of my very favorites of all time.

Comment

• bombayteddy
        • Oct 2008

Thanks Dmantis....I cant wait to audition them! I intend to start with a simple recording of Liszt songs sung by Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau (amazing mid-60's recording) and end with the Telarc recording of the theme from "Mutiny on the Bounty" (on Hollywood's Greatest Hits Vol 2). If the soeakers can handle that at cinema-levels, they will play ANYTHING.
        How would you say they compare in the mids and treble with the B&W CM10?
        I'm only hoping they wont overpower my approx 15'x11'x10' room (which mercifully is acoustically treated and well-damped) and will work well at a 10'6" listening distance.
        As for electronics, my first choice would have been Arcam but it is horribly over-priced in this country, so it would have to be Cambridge Audio 751R receiver + 752BD Bluray player. Cables: retain my Transparent Audio Music Wave/Link Plus (including Plus power cable for the amp).

Comment

• bombayteddy
          • Oct 2008

Thanks!

Comment

• bombayteddy
            • Oct 2008

Thanks sgtjim57!

Comment

• Dmantis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by bombayteddy
              Thanks Dmantis....I cant wait to audition them! I intend to start with a simple recording of Liszt songs sung by Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau (amazing mid-60's recording) and end with the Telarc recording of the theme from "Mutiny on the Bounty" (on Hollywood's Greatest Hits Vol 2). If the soeakers can handle that at cinema-levels, they will play ANYTHING.
              How would you say they compare in the mids and treble with the B&W CM10?
              I'm only hoping they wont overpower my approx 15'x11'x10' room (which mercifully is acoustically treated and well-damped) and will work well at a 10'6" listening distance.
              As for electronics, my first choice would have been Arcam but it is horribly over-priced in this country, so it would have to be Cambridge Audio 751R receiver + 752BD Bluray player. Cables: retain my Transparent Audio Music Wave/Link Plus (including Plus power cable for the amp).
              Just so you know when the CM7 and Cm9's came out years ago, I fell in love. These speakers both of them moved me. I thought if I was going to change out my current speakers, the CM line is on my very short list. The CM10's sound exactly like the rest of the line except maybe a touch of refinement and dig just a tad deeper cleaner. That doesn't take anything away from the CM7 or CM9 as they are all of a family of speakers that could easily play nice in the same surround system.
              The Revel F208's I believe are a step up from the CM line. I wouldn't go as far as saying they are superior in all ways but they are a remarkable sounding speaker that can get in the ring and box with anything anywhere near their price point.
              Mid range and treble detail is not lacking on the F208's. They are processionally accurate and very highly detailed. I might go as far as saying they are the best speaker bar none at this price point. D series BMW's would be a more fair compare as well as Totem and Dynaudio.

You seem concerned about them, I don't see any reason to me. Once you experience them, they will come home with you.
              As far as your room , yeah it's a tad on the smaller side but I think you'll be ok with proper placement and seating setup. These F208's can be the last pair of speakers you ever buy, they are that good.

Comment

• bombayteddy
                • Oct 2008

Thanks a million for your re-assurance! I will schedule a controlled audition at the dealer post-xmas and keep you posted. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you!

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Bombay Teddy, glad to have you contributing to the forum here.

I remember my first exposure to Revel, I was thoroughly impressed. That was years ago at a local hi-fi store. I haven't seen any lately, but I am sure they still impress.
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Dmantis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jun 2004

So how did this shake out?

Comment

• wkhanna
                      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Seems the last time this member visited the forum is 01-05-2014.
                      I am afraid we shall never receive that report.
                      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Dmantis
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jun 2004

Kinda looks that way, shame as I was interested in hearing his thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"