X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timjclark
    • Apr 2009

Can a Proceed AVP process LPCM signal?

I want to know if the following will work with a Proceed AVP:
    - play BluRay on a PS/3 and have the PS/3 decode the HD/MA track and send it down the line on the HDMI cable
    - Have a SSP or HDMI switch send the audio signal to digital coax/toslink output
    - bring the coax/toslink signal into the AVP

Will this work on the original AVP? How about the AVP2?

Thank you
    Tim
    -B&W: 803S, HTM4S, M-1
    -Proceed: CDD, PDP, PRE, AMP-2, AMP-3
    -Rotel: RSP-1069
    -Sony: PS3, KDF-E42A10

Office system:
    -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
    -B&W LM-1, AS-1
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

SPDIF (Toslink or Coaxial) can not pass the full bandwidth of the HD codecs. It will however, allow you to get "upgraded" playback as the downgraded bit rate is still a higher rate than standard Dolby/DTS.
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• timjclark
      • Apr 2009

John,

Let me see if I understand what you are saying - sending Dolby/DTS over SPDIF from a BluRay into something like the Proceed AVP or AVP2, the sound will be better than the same source if it were coming from a DVD over SPDIF.
      -B&W: 803S, HTM4S, M-1
      -Proceed: CDD, PDP, PRE, AMP-2, AMP-3
      -Rotel: RSP-1069
      -Sony: PS3, KDF-E42A10

Office system:
      -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
      -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

When Proceed was a brand, it was never known for it's processors, it's amplifiers, yes, nearly Levinson quality amps. In fact, they shared some of the same components with Levinson.

I think to ask anything digitally of an AVP in today's electronic world is asking a lot. I don't remember it's digital signal processing honestly. If these other guys know, then great! Sounds like Tim knows Proceed pretty well.

Myself I just have 2 of their amps. Bulletproof is the best way to describe those. HPA-2 and AMP5.

All I remember is a lot of processor issues out of the AVP and AVP2, was never truly ready for primetime, or else it was very mis-understood in the marketplace. It may have in fact been quite good, I can't say.

Doug
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by timjclark
          John,

Let me see if I understand what you are saying - sending Dolby/DTS over SPDIF from a BluRay into something like the Proceed AVP or AVP2, the sound will be better than the same source if it were coming from a DVD over SPDIF.
          Short answer-Yes. If that track is the Dolby or DTS HD codecs.

Also, if you are using the older "Fat" version of the PS3, you can send the video over HDMI and send the audio via optical. No need for a switcher after the fact. I don't know about this with the newer version PS3.
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"