X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

B&K Ref 50 S1 firmware update

I recently had my processor's firmware updated from 1.03 to 2.03. It was also cleaned, with all I/O adjusted.

There was no operational reason why I sent it in. Just wanted it to be up-to-date :roll: :B Anyway, I must admit, I'm in love and pissed at the same time. This thing has never sound better! Much better clarity and seperation. This was an unexpected surprise. What was a more laid back sound now has more resolution with better dynamics. I can't believe I've waited two years to do this!

Also, my unit used to click (like a relay switch) when I change from one source to another. Not a loud pop through the speakers, just a click at the unit. It was not bothersome to me but, the Ref 50 no longer does it. Now it is dead quiet.

A few things that are note worthy:

1) It was a 4 week turn around.

2) THX Ultra now shows up on the pre/pro's display window

3) Unit looks brand spanking new on the inside.

4) There was no cost out of pocket. I simply returned it to my dealer that I purchased from (They are an authorized B&K repair facility too) and they took care of shipping to B&K (warranty).

I've only had it back for two days now. But, It's like having a new toy. Kudos to B&K for going the extra yard, even though I just sent it in for the firmware!!! :T
    Last edited by John Holmes; 25 May 2008, 20:59 Sunday.
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • comeup
    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by John Holmes
    I recently had my processor's firmware updated from 1.03 to 2.03. It was also cleaned, with all I/O adjusted.

There was no operational reason why I sent it in. Just wanted it to be up-to-date :roll: :B Anyway, I must admit, I'm in love and pissed at the same time. This thing has never sound better! Much better clarity and seperation. This was an unexpected surprise. What was a more laid back sound now has more resolution with better dynamics. I can't believe I've waited two years to do this!

Also, my unit used to click (like a relay switch) when I change from one source to another. Not a loud pop through the speakers, just a click at the unit. It was not bothersome to me but, the Ref 50 no longer does it. Now it is dead quiet.

A few things that are note worthy:

1) It was a 4 week turn around.

2) THX Ultra now shows up on the pre/pro's display window

3) Unit looks brand spanking new on the inside.

4) There was no cost out of pocket. I simply returned it to my dealer that I purchased from (They are an authorized B&K repair facility too) and they took care of shipping to B&K (warranty).

I've only had it back for two days now. But, It's like having a new toy. Kudos to B&K for going the extra yard, even though I just sent it in for the firmware!!! :T
    I didn't know about this update I might not have gotten the DTC 9.8 if I'd known I may still send it in, is the update free if not under warranty?
    Blake

Comment

• RenoReno2
      • Jan 2005

It is free yes. You can mail it directly to them or have a dealer handle it. Not sure how the ref1 is but you can do it yourself on ref 2's.

Here's the link for the download

Comment

• jheis
        • May 2005

Could someone expound on this?

I have a Ref. 50 Version 1.00. I haven't upgraded because I've heard other places that the tariff was in the neighborhood of $500. Is it really free? Where can I find more information? I haven't seen anything on the B&K site, TIA

James

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

jheis,

RenoReno2 posted the link above for the firmware via download. The update is free regardless of method. However, if you ship your unit to B&K, you will probably pay for shipping if you are outside of your warranty.

This will not convert your unit to Reference 2 status, it just fixes known issues with our units.
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by comeup
            I didn't know about this update I might not have gotten the DTC 9.8 if I'd known I may still send it in, is the update free if not under warranty?
            comeup,

The DTC 9.8 is a nice unit (from what I've read). I don't think you made a bad move at all. For me, I'm not quite ready to let go of the Ref 50. It works and sounds great. And since it handles all of my gear, it's hard for me to justify a move a this time. New offerings are always tempting. Boy, I miss the days when you could buy a stereo and know you'd have it for 15-20 yrs unless it broke (which was rare)!

Comment

• jheis
              • May 2005

Thanks John:

I've been all over the B&K site many times.

The link Reno gave provides software updates for the BKcSuite, documentation, etc. The only flash downloads I can see are for the HD6, CT600.3, CT600.1 & CT300.3.

I don't see any reference to updates or upgrades for the Ref. 50.

James

Comment

• comeup
                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by John Holmes
                comeup,

The DTC 9.8 is a nice unit (from what I've read). I don't think you made a bad move at all. For me, I'm not quite ready to let go of the Ref 50. It works and sounds great. And since it handles all of my gear, it's hard for me to justify a move a this time. New offerings are always tempting. Boy, I miss the days when you could buy a stereo and know you'd have it for 15-20 yrs unless it broke (which was rare)!
                Thanks John,

I called B&K and they reminded me that the warranty was five years, I bought it 3 to 4 years ago I will send it in since its sitting. To be honest I have always liked the B&K it was the HDMI that I needed to make things easy for my wife. Now with the 9.8 all she has to do is click 1 button to change inputs for audio&video. What problems was the B&K having? I wasn't even having the clicking issues.
                Blake

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by jheis
                  Thanks John:

I've been all over the B&K site many times.

The link Reno gave provides software updates for the BKcSuite, documentation, etc. The only flash downloads I can see are for the HD6, CT600.3, CT600.1 & CT300.3.

I don't see any reference to updates or upgrades for the Ref. 50.

James
                  I apologize jheis. I thought it was able to be done via BKcSuite on the Ref 50 S1. In truth, since I upgraded my pc to a Vista Home unit, BKcSuite will not load. :roll: Give B&K a call. They are pretty easy to work with.

If you are out of the warranty period, the shipping cost to is a small price to pay to get the updated firmware and having B&K realign the unit, imo.

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by comeup
                    Thanks John,

I called B&K and they reminded me that the warranty was five years, I bought it 3 to 4 years ago I will send it in since its sitting. To be honest I have always liked the B&K it was the HDMI that I needed to make things easy for my wife. Now with the 9.8 all she has to do is click 1 button to change inputs for audio&video. What problems was the B&K having? I wasn't even having the clicking issues.
                    Funny you would make the statement about making life easier on the wife. That was/is also my biggest thought for going HDMI! As nice as the MX-700 is, she still has some issues using it from time-to-time. Even funnier, I know that's still my fault. If I had made better macros for it, it would be almost an non-issue.

As for the issues, you are on target. It was pretty much the clicks and pops some were having. The rest were to better operation. And I like you, didn't think I had the click or pop problem...until the update!

Once I got my unit back I realized, the click that I did get when switching sources (the sound was like a relay at the pre/pro, not through the speakers) no longer was present. Just dead silent. Funny thing, the click never bothered me. It was like a simple conformation of operation. However I must admit, the silence is fine too. :T

The other things that are clear to me that changed:

1) They have implemented some type of soft mute circuit. Just about a milisec or so. It just barely misses the first part of the first note of sound. This did not happen before the update. Like I said, it's not even a full second of delay so, a non-issue from my stand point (I still here the first note).

2) IMO, Better sound and channel separation. In my system, the sound just seem to have a little better clarity. Almost like adding a more natural tone instead of trying to sound mellow and laid back. It just seems to better represent what has been recorded. I can tell that more things sound different from from various cd's than alike. Movies have the same differences as the cd's. You can just tell, the newer firmware allows more of the production differences to be heard.

3) THX Ultra2 now appears on the display window. And I must say I just love what is does for movie playback. With that said, something else that has changed is, I can now tell a drastic difference in the sound of my back speakers from the rest. All of my speakers are THX except the two back. These were just some cheap speakers I picked up to test 7.1. My initial thought was to use them until getting my matching THX rears. However, after hearing them with firmware 1.03, I didn't hear a need to upgrade. Now with version 2.03, I am again on the hunt for the matching THX back speakers for my system.

4) The one thing B&K has not done is included the "Game mode" with THX Ultra2. Though it is part of the THX Ultra2 scheme. I spoke with one of their engineers about the lack of Game Mode ( I gotta have my Madden!). I was told that B&K feels that the REF 50's processing is superior to this mode. To be honest, I was a little pissed with this response. My reason, I purchased a THX Ultra2 unit, I should get all that comes with owning such. And being a big gamer, I'd like to have that option. Well... I have to concede, I don't miss it! Playing games are an awesome experience just using Dolby Digital via 7 speaker playback.

Sorry to get a bit lengthy. But I just wanted to lay the cards on the table as best I can via internet on what I hear and why it may or may not be a worthwhile update for others.

Comment

• comeup
                      • Jul 2005

John,

Not a lengthy summary you write in a way that keeps the discussion simple to understand which I for one appreciate, so you say it has better clarity well, maybe I won't be selling it I may get an low cost power-amp maybe an Outlaw or something and dump my receiver in the bedroom and set it up in there. I have some Polk Audio sats in there now, I may get some small B&W bookshelves or some small Anxioms to setup with the B&K have to have some respect for the B&K and give it some decent speakers to work with we will see when I get it back.

Regarding to the wife with HDMI, it works out great she doesn't use the remote for switching inputs she now pushes the input she wants on the pre and uses the remote for volume and turning channels no more calls at work asking why does she have sound but no picture she never had the patients to learn.

Good Luck with yours..........
                      Blake

Comment

• John Holmes
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Thanks comeup!

Comment

• BloomMaker
                          • Oct 2015

DIY Firmware upgrade for Ref 50 [& Ref 30]- trouble establishing connection

Hi there,
                          I know I'm attempting to reopen an old thread-- I wish to drill down on this notion of DIY firmware upgrades. I've got the B&K tool suite and flash updater but unable to upgrade the FW on my reference 30 & reference 50.

My reference 50 is now hooked up to PC running Windows 7 using a crossover cable. However, it does not appear to connect. I suppose if I could get over this hump, things would come easily thereafter.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sincere thanks,
                          BloomMaker

Comment

• John Holmes
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

The B&K company as we now it, no longer exist. I've heard that new product was seen at CES. But, this is from a new company which now release product under the B&K name.

Not sure if or when the new owners will support any legacy gear. Only time will tell....good luck!

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"